Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

Tom McShea's review is sure garnering a lot of hate.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By jayjonesjunior

Reviews are not an artistic form of expression, they serve a purpose, to inform customers so we don't throw our hard-earned money away, there is no place for philosophical thoughts or personal agendas, they should be logical and an 8/10 ain't it.

He is repeating what the Uncharted 3 guy did, hoping to get the same attention.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I like review scores and think they can be pretty useful at a quick glance, but man.

The people complaining about this be crazy

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody's posted this yet?

Loading Video...

That's beautiful.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Reviews are not an artistic form of expression, they serve a purpose, to inform customers so we don't throw our hard-earned money away, there is no place for philosophical thoughts or personal agendas

!?

Also, it's 8/10. He's still saying the game is good, isn't he?

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jayjonesjunior said:

they should be logical and an 8/10 ain't it

:internet: :internet: :internet:

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#106  Edited By drac96

@darji: Phil Kollar gave Dead Souls a 7.75 in Game Informer, which is not the same publication as Polygon. For Polygon their reviews don't get a score until after the review has been written. Apparently other staff members look at it and assign a score based on what they think the text conveys. That doesn't necessarily explain the Remember Me review, but I'm pretty sure that was someone different who did that. There's no real way for me to criticize either review, because I have played neither game.

Also you keep saying that people's jobs depend on metacritic scores in this industry, but you don't seem to be taking the metacritic score of this particular game into account when being upset with these reviews. It's a 95 right now. I think they'll be okay.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like review scores and think they can be pretty useful at a quick glance, but man.

peoples jobs are depending on metacritic scores in this Industry.

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Rasmoss

I still can't believe how angry people can get about reviews for a game that they haven't played yet! Wait to form an opinion after you've played the damn thing. I am perfectly fine with criticism against a review as long as the person doing it has facts to back it up.

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@fancysoapsman said:

peoples jobs are depending on metacritic scores in this Industry.

That's the mistake of the people who put value in "metascores", and hang peoples jobs over it.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By EXTomar

@phantomzxro said:

@extomar said:

@yummylee said:

I always dislike these sort of threads. It usually just comes across as an opportunity for people to feel superior about themselves. Yes, gamespot review comments are always the worst, as are the majority of comments across the internet at large. You'd think we'd all be accustomed to this by now.

I rail against these threads too. They basically boil down to "I liked/didn't like what a reviewer said" which is fine but hardly worth a discussion. Or to put it another way, how about we all discuss Last of Us instead of some how someone felt about some review of Last of Us?

I agree to a point, sure it should not turn into a witch hunt or anything crazy which i know is a lot to ask on the internet. But I do think journalist and gaming websites should be hold to some level of creditably. They also should be called out when needed otherwise where is the checks and balance to make sure things stay fair?

I know this will come down to a reviewers style but there are some base level achievements a game makes that should not be brushed under the rug just because you did not care for the game even if it is a technically sound game.

What is the credibility problem here? Is there a problem where we believe the reviewer doesn't really hold the opinion they state they have on a game?

Unless someone has solid theory or evidence a reviewer is being unduly influenced then I'm not interested in hearing or reading how someone believe a review is right or wrong. A reviewer can't be right or wrong about how they feel. Why do people labor under the view they can see the flaw everyone else missed?

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I haven't read Tom McShea's review.

I haven't played The Last of Us. Nor do I intend to.

I don't even fucking own a PS3.

But I'm an angry mofo. And I'm angry about something. How dare Tom McShea give a game I'm not interested in, nor have any intention of playing, nor own the fucking console to run it less than what I believe it should have got. How dare he. This is an insult to me. My family. My character. My lineage. My beliefs. My existence. It is Tom McShea that has made this personal. And I intend to let him know about it.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drac96 said:

@darji: Phil Kollar gave Dead Souls a 7.75 in Game Informer, which is not the same publication as Polygon. For Polygon their reviews don't get a score until after the review has been written. Apparently other staff members look at it and assign a score based on what they think the text conveys. That doesn't necessarily explain the Remember Me review, but I'm pretty sure that was someone different who did that. There's no real way for me to criticize either review, because I have played neither game.

Also you keep saying that people's jobs depend on metacritic scores in this industry, but you don't seem to be taking the metacritic score of this particular game into account when being upset with these reviews. It's a 95 right now. I think they'll be okay.

It is still the same person. He is a freelancer so he writes for a lot of publications. That is why his own opinion should be even less irrelevant. And yeah now its totally ok. But what if this review was the reason for the developer not getting the bonus. Just because it was total meaning less this time means it is ok.

And I agree that its the publishers fault for ranking metacritic so high by the decision if this game is a success or not but that does not really matter. We can not change that..

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By audiosnow

That's why the five-star system is flawless.

Patrick literally scored it anywhere between 80%-100%, and there's no way to know where.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Darji

Patrick literally scored it anywhere between 80%-100%, and there's no way to know where.

its a 100% for metacritic^^

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@mlarrabee said:

its a 100% for metacritic^^

That's OK, Giant Bomb rates very low on Metacritic's video game site rating system. Which is partially why Metacritic needs to shut down, or companies need to stop paying them any mind.

Yeah totally agree metacritic's rating is totally strange. And personally I do not like that the industry so much depends on this.

Nicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was recently an interesting thread about "trusting" reviewers that applies here. Reviews are supposed to be subjective, but there's objective homogeneity between most reviewers that TLOU is "a 10/10". This plus a lack of standardization in both games and journalism (i.e. a puzzle game has different standards from an FPS) leads to a lot of problems in how game reviews are presented and how critiques are qualified. Moreover, internet culture is such that reviews' effective function is different from their intended function. The intent of providing purchasing advice is, in this case and others, overwhelmed by discourse about the review itself and not the game.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjor64 said:

What most people don't know is, that after the death threats from Nintendo's militant faction, Jeff Gerstmann went into FBI protection for a few weeks.

Some say the real Jeff never emerged. Some say the real Jeff is dead. Some say he lives in Manitoba, Canada. Some say we'll just never know.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fanboys are shit people, big surprise.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@kentonclay Man, I love Mega64

I do love how pissed off people get over nothing,

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By EXTomar
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#123  Edited By musubi

@jayjonesjunior: And this is where you're wrong. Reviews are entirely subjective. Objective reviews dont exist. No matter what bias is going to come into play at some point. You can be objective about reporting the technical aspects of the game. Frame Rate, Screen Tearing, Load Times etc... things like story and how engaging or fun the mechanics of the game are are entirely subjective.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

I agree to a point, sure it should not turn into a witch hunt or anything crazy which i know is a lot to ask on the internet. But I do think journalist and gaming websites should be hold to some level of creditably. They also should be called out when needed otherwise where is the checks and balance to make sure things stay fair?

I know this will come down to a reviewers style but there are some base level achievements a game makes that should not be brushed under the rug just because you did not care for the game even if it is a technically sound game.

What is the credibility problem here? Is there a problem where we believe the reviewer doesn't really hold the opinion they state they have on a game?

Unless someone has solid theory or evidence a reviewer is being unduly influenced then I'm not interested in hearing or reading how someone believe a review is right or wrong. A reviewer can't be right or wrong about how they feel. Why do people labor under the view they can see the flaw everyone else missed?

I know a review is mostly opinion but there is still a weight of a opinion in some form right? Its fine to have a wildly different opinion but that opinion has to be backed up with something creditable or the opinion won't have much weight in a given matter.

This speak more to Polygon site as a whole because i find their reviews to be unreliable and lazy in many regards. Sure everyone can have an opinion but i like to think the point of video game sites having reviews is there is a body of credibility there. Its what stop anyone from putting out a review to any reason.

I'm not asking for the guy to be fired or the review to be changed or anything crazy like that. It just seems fishy and that opinion won't have much weight until we all play it and see for ourselves.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Reviews are not an artistic form of expression, they serve a purpose, to inform customers so we don't throw our hard-earned money away, there is no place for philosophical thoughts or personal agendas, they should be logical and an 8/10 ain't it.

Reviewers and/or website need to clarify if their review(s) are intended as purchasing advice or criticism. Doing both is utter nonsense and serves no one.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phantomzxro: Then I take it you feel the same way about the 10 and 9's? Because what is the difference?

BrockSampson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By BrockSampson

If you look at all the other games he reviews. They are mostly handheld and Indie titles. So I wonder why he was the one chosen to review it in the first place. After reading the review it is pretty clear he wasn't super interested in the game in the first place.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

8 out of 10? God he must hate the game so much, if he didnt give it 10 then it has to be the worst game in the world or he is trolling the whole internet right?

The only reason some of these people are on there is to try and somehow validate their own opinion, they bought the game and want to make sure everyone thinks exactly the same thing that they do because if they dont then they are idiots. Seriously, 8 is a pretty good score, 7 would also have been a good score, its his opinion so it can never be wrong, its not a fact, its what he thinks of the game and surely that holds value?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

My God... it's nearing 7,000 comments already. It actually froze my browser at one point even.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#130  Edited By Humanity

Guys I thought Uncharted 2 was actually kinda boring in a lot of ways, should I go to a psychologist? Am I even.. a human being?

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody's posted this yet?

Loading Video...

I lol'd so hard. I can't believe any of this is taken seriously.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#132  Edited By MormonWarrior

@leftie68 said:

Isn't this the guy that got all the hate for giving Skyward Sword a 7.5? I think he couldn't figure out how some of the motion controls worked. Man, this guy knows controversy.

Funny, that was one time that I found myself 100% agreeing with him. That game was a realllll bummer.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BREAKING SHOCKING NEWS: The internet over reacts to basically anything including review scores.

And reactions to review scores.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#134  Edited By Seppli

Eversince his MoH opinion piece, I don't care one iota for his opinions. The upside, before that opinion piece, I didn't know who he was. The good old days, if only I could go back.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By GreggD

@seppli said:

Eversince his MoH opinion piece, I don't care one iota for his opinions. The upside, before that opinion piece, I didn't know who he was. The good old days, if only I could go back.

I'm in the same camp.

Young_Scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fourwude said:

I haven't read Tom McShea's review.

I haven't played The Last of Us. Nor do I intend to.

I don't even fucking own a PS3.

But I'm an angry mofo. And I'm angry about something. How dare Tom McShea give a game I'm not interested in, nor have any intention of playing, nor own the fucking console to run it less than what I believe it should have got. How dare he. This is an insult to me. My family. My character. My lineage. My beliefs. My existence. It is Tom McShea that has made this personal. And I intend to let him know about it.

I'm staying the heck away from this whole ridiculous topic, but I just wanted to say that I read this in Matt Berry's voice after seeing your avatar. ;)

"FA-THEEER!"

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sheesh. I love how much stock people put into an arbitrary number. Heck, I usually ignore the numbers, but just READ THE WORDS IN IT.

Doing that, I look for common themes: "bad combat", "janky", "short" etc, and let that form my opinion. I could care less if he rated it a kitty out of rainbow as long as the review's content makes sense, and pulls it apart to show the good and the bad.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gorillamopena said:

BREAKING SHOCKING NEWS: The internet over reacts to basically anything including review scores.

And reactions to review scores.

And reactions to reactions to review scores

[spins top]

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped caring about other gamers being idiotic about scores a year or so ago and only came on here to post this fact. Reviews subjective etc, etc... blah blah, this will keep happening so why bother even thinking about it. The best thing the reviewer can do is not even look at the comments section and he/she won't even know this stupidity exists.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HOW DARE YOU DISAGREE WITH MY VIEWPOINT

Piranesi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#141  Edited By Piranesi

Is there a support group out there for people who [whisper] don't like Naughty Dog games?

Uncharted was just the first Tomb Raider in pretty clothing (borrowed from Indiana Jones), Jak never reached its potential as a kid-friendly GTA, and Crash was not even up to Sonic's low standards.

I think I'm criticising critics criticising the criticism of critics now ... maybe I need to lie down.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The score he gave for what sounded like minor gripes just seems odd but this isn't the first time he did something like this. It's only one review anyways, whatever.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayjonesjunior said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... oh, you're serious? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Tom Mcshea is the super anti military guy right? If so then I think its possible that the violence in the game put him off.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Hunkulese

@fuzzypumpkin: Why do we still need to discuss this. People have been complaining about whatever they see on the Internet since 1992.

The only thing that's a bigger waste of time than complaining about reviews of games you've never played is caring what those complainers think.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

People who get upset at reviews are idiots.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

I have a hard time accepting that Jeff even reviewed a Zelda game tbh.

He was Gamespot's Zelda reviewer until he left. He reviewed Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

On Topic - I really hate when people who haven't played the game claim they know better than a person who has played the game. Maybe Tom is wrong. Maybe he isn't. Wait until you play the game and then judge.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some choice quotes from the comments:

Tom don't you look at the other professional reviews and think "maybe I was harsh" or "I'm a shit reviewer" or was ya paid off by MS?

THIS is an OUTRAGE!

How the hell u give TLoU 8/10 ?? Does that mean RE6 is better? Hell NO! This game deserves 9.5 from GameSpot! The most reliable gaming website ever for me but now :(( this is even alot better than bioshock infinite which is great but overrated as hell and also super reptitive! U r strange Mc Shea, u dont like Sonic nor 3D fighting games the hell with that??

Btw Im playing TLoU right now and from the first 15 minutes I started getting excited which is super awesome presentation that tons and tons of the greatest games of this gen missed ( I spent 2-3 boring hours when I played Far Cry 3 and Bioshock Infinite until finally I started to have fun with 'em

Just change the score to 9.5 please.

i was one of the greatest gamespot fan until i read this review... WTF

most reviewers gave this game a 10 so tom stop reviewing games and get another hobby.

Tom don't you look at the other professional reviews and think "maybe I was harsh" or "I'm a shit reviewer" or was ya paid off by MS?

Wait a FLIPPIN minute here... How is it they gave Remember Me (a game as mediocre as Binary Domain, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and/or FUSE) a 7.0 rating and think so little of 'The Last of Us' that they've slapped a 8.0 score on it?!?!?! These are clearly amateurs here reviewing these games. GameInformer (the number one video game magazine in the country) gave it a 9.5 and IGN.com gave it a perfect 10.0!!! I only happened across this website because I accidentally spelled gamestop wrong but MY GOD; I can really say I'm NEVER coming back! And yes; I did register just to be able to post this.

most reviewers gave this game a 10 so tom stop reviewing games and get another hobby.

You know what the issue is? I read the review all the way through, and it's very well constructed and well written, but when I was originally scrolling through Metacritic and saw this low score, I said to myself, "Gee, I guess we have a Tom McShea review!" And I was unfortunately correct. You, sir, need to reconsider your review methodology itself (not the argumentative structure) if every score you give out (Metroid, Infamous 2, etc.) are at the bottom of the barrel every time, and that I can actually call out that you wrote the review if the score is out of the ordinary. Not saying you should throw 10's at the screen, but my god, the fact that I could call a Tom McShea review just by looking at the score distribution is frankly sad. Be more positive; maybe initially give the game a chance of being the hugely successful work that it is being universally praised as instead of nitpicking from the beginning and finding flaws to justify a low score. Just my two cents.

I don't have a problem w/ the score 8.0, I would however like to point out that Metal Gear Revengance grabbed an 8.5 aaand I find it hard to believe that this game is not better than that.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

To be fair, that dude is a complete shit head. But his review is probably fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.