Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

Tom McShea's review is sure garnering a lot of hate.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

So are reviews art?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#202  Edited By bigjeffrey
    Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@darji: Skyrim was generally recognized as the GOTY of 2011 and didn't even function on PS3.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@darji: Skyrim was generally recognized as the GOTY of 2011 and didn't even function on PS3.

Yeah totally agree here. That is why I liked that some reviewers actually downgraded the PS3 score but it should have been more strict in my opinion. As for the GOTY. some of these GOTY awards also excluded the PS3 version which again was the right thing to do.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

@milkman said:

Do we need a thread about this? The internet will be the internet. Who cares?

Which is great because...well, I'll let Reddit say it for me since it's where I found/realized it

No Caption Provided

Also I feel like I should bookmark this thread. WHOLE lotta users on here seem to forget the absolute SHITSHOW that kicked up over the DmC/MGR: Revengeance reviews. And those were just the most recent, but the mad, frothing "YOU DIDN'T SCORE THIS GAME HIGH ENOUGH/LOW ENOUGH" is in NO WAY confined to Gamespot's review comments.

Perfect! Yeah that might just be the thing I hate most about review scores. If a game gets a great score all over the board, there's inevitably a crowd of gamers who go against it because liking something that every else likes isn't cool. I don't think the Last of Us will be for everyone, but this is sort of a pointless conversation we're having, one which we'll all forget in a week or two.

Balex1908

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least his review reads like an 8. The Polygon review was : " Great atmosphere ! Great stealth ! Great characters ! I did not like the gunplay much...7.5 I guess..."

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Darji

At least his review reads like an 8. The Polygon review was : " Great atmosphere ! Great stealth ! Great characters ! I did not like the gunplay much...7.5 I guess..."

You forgot too hard^^

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By YOU_DIED

@darji said:

@theht said:

@darji said:

@theht said:

@darji said:

@theht said:

hate for just the score, or hate because he wrote something stupid in the actual review?

Most people do not read the review but just look at the score which is of course wrong. But if the same guys reviews games that are with no doubt inferior. Like Polygon rated State of Decay for example which they gave a 8.5 you just can not give Last of Us a 7.5. No matter if these are different reviewers or not.

No, that's perfectly fine. No individual reviewer or outlet has to like a game, and the nature of the business doesn't allow for concepts like "no doubt inferior".

Of course they are...

Bad execution great potential. State of Decay is really rough and this should go into the score no matter how much you like a game. Reviews are supposed to be as objective as possible with an integrated own opinion. And If you do not like a kind of game do not review it in the first place. You still have to consider quality of gameplay, qquality of sound, quality of graphics and so on.

I remeber the IGN Yakuza 4 review which end up with a 6.5 which is just ridiculous.

I see what you're saying, and it comes down to different review philosophies. Some people weigh the personal experience more, while others try to be objective about most of it and factor in the personal experience to a lesser degree.

But as a reader you should either accept that different people review differently, or find people that review the way you want and only pay attention to them.

But they will influence so much. As I said. Developer get paid compared to the metacritic score. Customer trust reviews and hype gets build through great reviews as well. If it were just a videogame blogger no one would care but if you are on popular site like Polygon or Gamespot you should be objective.

Objectivity in a review of a piece of entertainment media? Are you serious?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@you_died said:

@darji said:

@theht said:

@darji said:

@theht said:

@darji said:

@theht said:

hate for just the score, or hate because he wrote something stupid in the actual review?

Most people do not read the review but just look at the score which is of course wrong. But if the same guys reviews games that are with no doubt inferior. Like Polygon rated State of Decay for example which they gave a 8.5 you just can not give Last of Us a 7.5. No matter if these are different reviewers or not.

No, that's perfectly fine. No individual reviewer or outlet has to like a game, and the nature of the business doesn't allow for concepts like "no doubt inferior".

Of course they are...

Bad execution great potential. State of Decay is really rough and this should go into the score no matter how much you like a game. Reviews are supposed to be as objective as possible with an integrated own opinion. And If you do not like a kind of game do not review it in the first place. You still have to consider quality of gameplay, qquality of sound, quality of graphics and so on.

I remeber the IGN Yakuza 4 review which end up with a 6.5 which is just ridiculous.

I see what you're saying, and it comes down to different review philosophies. Some people weigh the personal experience more, while others try to be objective about most of it and factor in the personal experience to a lesser degree.

But as a reader you should either accept that different people review differently, or find people that review the way you want and only pay attention to them.

But they will influence so much. As I said. Developer get paid compared to the metacritic score. Customer trust reviews and hype gets build through great reviews as well. If it were just a videogame blogger no one would care but if you are on popular site like Polygon or Gamespot you should be objective.

Do you really believe you can not objectify rate stuff like Animations, graphics (technical site not artistic site) sound, etc?

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I said it before and I'll say it again: fuck review scores!

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@you_died said:

@darji said:

@theht said:

@darji said:

@theht said:

@darji said:

@theht said:

Of course they are...

Do you really believe you can not objectify rate stuff like Animations, graphics (technical site not artistic site) sound, etc?

Do you seriously want something like a list of checkboxes for technical attributes? Are we talking about buying a vacuum cleaner or a video game?

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@you_died said:

@darji said:

@you_died said:

@darji said:

@theht said:

@darji said:

@theht said:

@darji said:

@theht said:

Of course they are...

Do you seriously want something like a list of checkboxes for technical attributes? Are we talking about buying a vacuum cleaner or a video game?

These technical attributes like fantastic Sound or Music are helping a game a lot. Same goes for graphics lighting etc. But I also want separation of downloadtitles and low budget games and AAA games. Because I know that smaller studios can not do all the stuff a Naughtydog for example can do. So yeah I want some kind of technical standard and then you can integrate your personal opinion in there. But saying it is too hard and using that for lowering the score is just stupid.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@you_died: a lot of places used to do that. old gamespot used to have that formula jeff used to talk about that pumped out a final score taking into account objective scores for production and whatnot and subjective reviewer tilt. gametrailers section off their video reviews with sections for gameplay, story, etc.

i remember gamepro used to divide review scores into categories as well, like "audio", "graphics" "gameplay" and of course "fun factor". good ol' fun factor.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By YOU_DIED

@darji said:

@you_died said:

@darji said:

@you_died said:

@darji said:

These technical attributes like fantastic Sound or Music are helping a game a lot. Same goes for graphics lighting etc. But I also want separation of downloadtitles and low budget games and AAA games. Because I know that smaller studios can not do all the stuff a Naughtydog for example can do. So yeah I want some kind of technical standard and then you can integrate your personal opinion in there. But saying it is too hard and using that for lowering the score is just stupid.

And how should things such as audio be scored? The bitrate? Codec used? And how should graphics be scored? Texture resolution? Framerate? I agree that obvious technical hindrances should be pointed out, but the most important thing you have to remember is that these individual pieces only matter in the sense that they add up to a cohesive and fun experience, and experience is subjective.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Bell_End

yeah. the gamespot forums are the worst on the internet imo.

the giantbomb forums has its fair share of cunts thought. just go read brads DMC review or and quicklook with patrick. some real nasty cunts.

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By Dacnomaniac

@bell_end: That username is appropriate to that statement... :P

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bell_end: That username is appropriate to that statement... :P

its true though. i remember those that mocked patrick after his father passed away and some of the nasty shit i read in the live streams. it was shameful.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@brendan: Yeah I remember those... that wasn't pretty either. Though I still think that there were a lot more people agreeing/not bitching and crying, than there were of the others. Still think we're better for the most part.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

paulwade1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say guys, I've just seen the opening 20 minutes and quite honestly as someone who has seen that happen in real life (I ain't talking about a zombie infection). I don't think I need or want that level of hell in my video games.

I felt uncomfortable and shit and I will continue to feel that way for the rest of the night. If that's what they were aiming for then they have succeeded. But i play video games to escape and have fun. I won't be watching that again when I play through the full game. Starting to think maybe polygon had a point with their criticism of the level of violence.

I need to go play something happy.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By RobertOrri

OH MY GOD HE ONLY GAVE IT AN 8

HE SURE DOES HATE THAT GAME

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.