Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

weird issues with Naughty Dog games

stange88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

so I have been having alotta weird freezing issues with this and every other Naughty Dog game, I have a ps3 slim and all other games work fine except for ND games. Lucky for me i beat the game in one sitting on Saturday. Amazing game, but im wondering if anybody else is having the same problem as me

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Can't say I have had this problem, I am playing on a old 40gb fat model though.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

It might be because of how much they load stuff into memory so they can constantly stream it out. Those games are great at never needing to stop and load after you start the game (although that first load is a BEAST). I've never had any issues with their games, but I suspect that might be why.

stange88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelec90: its really weird, i play the game for like an hour on new game + and then freeze, but on saturday 13 hours no problems

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah Naughty Dog have a very weird approach to rendering games which feels.... incomplete?

Between low frame rates hidden by motion blur, input lag with controls, long initial loads followed by a strange sporadic sort of buffering or freeze, there must be a better way to do it... well, i know there is, because lots of other developers have non of these things.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

@stange88 said:

Lucky for me i beat the game in one sitting on Saturday.

In one sitting!?!?!?!?!?!? How long did it take you? I spent around 20 hours with it.

stange88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By stange88

@darthorange: 13 hours it took, granted i was worried that game would crash

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

I've never had that problem :(

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My game froze once. Another time I had a weird graphical glitch. Naughty Dog games seem to always be maxing the PS3 out, though. Doesn't surprise me that they're a little unstable.

flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By flakmunkey

Yeah those "strange" techniques mentioned above are how ND is able to push the fantastic graphics they do on the very RAM-limited PS3. I was actually very impressed with some of the techniques they figured out while playing The Last of Us such as lowering resolution whenever a post-process effect is happening on screen. A great example is the gas station explosion at the very beginning, It looks beautiful and the only way its possible was by adding the motion blur effect to mask the fact that the game is running at a lower res(texture wise at least)/framerate while all those particles are flying. Alternatively, you would have to either reduce the effects and lessen immersion of the game or deal with stuttering/choppiness. Another thing I noticed was that the textures on your character are lower when your moving than they are when standing still. Overall I'm very impressed with how ND is able to get past the limitations of the console and create something truly beautiful. (OMG when your outside the State House in Boston, so pretty).

UpInLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

never had this problem with Naughty Dog games, but i have had this problem with all Activision games

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My game froze once. Another time I had a weird graphical glitch. Naughty Dog games seem to always be maxing the PS3 out, though. Doesn't surprise me that they're a little unstable.

Yeah from what Cowboy said on one of those late night E3 bombcasts that definitely seems to be the case.

I haven't had any issue with freezing or graphics on my 60 GB, but I did have a sound issue at one point, which caused everyone's voice to be lower and a tapping (or clicking) noise as if I was playing the game too loudly for my speakers. A simple restart fixed that.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I played all on slim, but the way I play games is spread out over several days. I had framerate problems sometimes, but nothing game breaking or annoying.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Teoball

I had a wierd problem with Uncharted 2 where it always froze after the big battle at the end with the soldiers and blue guys. Then my launch PS3 died and I bought a new slim.

Uncharted 2 still freezes at the same place every time I replay it though. I dunno...

No problems with The Last of Us except the save bug at launch.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Yeah those "strange" techniques mentioned above are how ND is able to push the fantastic graphics they do on the very RAM-limited PS3. I was actually very impressed with some of the techniques they figured out while playing The Last of Us such as lowering resolution whenever a post-process effect is happening on screen. A great example is the gas station explosion at the very beginning, It looks beautiful and the only way its possible was by adding the motion blur effect to mask the fact that the game is running at a lower res(texture wise at least)/framerate while all those particles are flying. Alternatively, you would have to either reduce the effects and lessen immersion of the game or deal with stuttering/choppiness. Another thing I noticed was that the textures on your character are lower when your moving than they are when standing still. Overall I'm very impressed with how ND is able to get past the limitations of the console and create something truly beautiful. (OMG when your outside the State House in Boston, so pretty).

Digital Foundry, is that you?

flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@cikame said:

Yeah Naughty Dog have a very weird approach to rendering games which feels.... incomplete?

Between low frame rates hidden by motion blur, input lag with controls, long initial loads followed by a strange sporadic sort of buffering or freeze, there must be a better way to do it... well, i know there is, because lots of other developers have non of these things.

I couldn't roll my eyes any harder then I am right now. I swear I'm trying, but I can't. The frame rates for Uncharted and the majority of Last of Us, hover around the 30FPS mark with the Last of Us dipping occasionally due to how hard it pushes the hardware. I've never really had issues with mid game buffering or streaming issues.

angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naughty dog games tend to have the disk read be pretty regular --my old phat died on uncharted (2??) of disk drive issues. Your drive might be on its way out of you're having graphical hitches... Or you broke your ps3.

I literally felt bad when I would graphical hiccups in this game. It feels so well crafted that I wanted my ps3 to just try harder and push through the weirdness.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I had like 4 full on freezes during my time with the game. It happened a lot in the first 4-5 hours of the game and after that it was just smooth sailing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.