Who else loves the soundtrack?

#1 Edited by CodeFire (185 posts) -

I'm in love with Gustavo Santaolalla's amazing soundtrack to The Last of Us. Such a wonderful mix of atmospheric songs, blending perfectly with the game. There's a lot to love about the sound. Like the guitar notes in "Home" (my favorite), to the deject strings and tone of "All Gone (Aftermath)".

My favorites

1. Home
  2. All Gone(No Escape)
  3. The Choice
  4. The Hour
  5. Smugglers
  6. Vanishing Grace (Childhood)
  7. All Gone (Aftermath)
  8. Vanishing Grace
  9. The Last of US
  10. All Gone (The Outside)

Do you have any favorites?

#2 Edited by spraynardtatum (2977 posts) -

<<< this guy

#3 Edited by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

I don't know about your list, man. I love this one, which plays on the credits, but none of the others really stood out while playing the game. I guess you could say they really stunk sort of a bitch.

#4 Posted by Yummylee (21686 posts) -

I quite like it, but it doesn't have too many songs I intentionally seek out to listen outside of the game. The 'New Beginning' ending credits theme is superb, though.

#5 Edited by spraynardtatum (2977 posts) -

Whats the song that plays during the ambush where Joel barrels through that guy in the car and then they get t-boned by the semi?

#6 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Whats the song that plays during the ambush where Joel barrels through that guy in the car and then they get t-boned by the semi?

Alone and Forsaken by Hank Williams

#7 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Fun Fact, the composer Gustavo Santaolalla uses mostly homemade instruments - he also composed the OST for Brokeback Mountain.

#8 Posted by spraynardtatum (2977 posts) -

@spraynardtatum said:

Alone and Forsaken by Hank Williams

That's the best.

#9 Posted by csl316 (8697 posts) -

It's fantastic. A soundtrack is one of the aspects of a game that I feel gives it heart. A soul.

At the title screen through the initial loading screen, the game grabbed me before anything actually happened.

#10 Posted by Disaya (290 posts) -

I really like the soundtrack but I can't say I remember all of them, I do really love the song from the trailer though.

#11 Posted by CodeFire (185 posts) -

@yummylee: This is true, but that applies to most games. I think there are a few that, sometimes, can be played outside of the game.

#12 Edited by Gatehouse (627 posts) -

All Gone (No Escape) is one of the most incredible pieces of music I've heard in ages. It's a brilliant score that perfectly reflects the world it lives in.

#13 Posted by erhard (405 posts) -

The song that plays at the end (The Path) is perfect. Fantastic soundtrack overall.

#14 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

Definitely one of the best scores in a video game, up there with Heavy Rain and Starhawk.

#15 Edited by CodeFire (185 posts) -

All Gone (No Escape) is one of the most incredible pieces of music I've heard in ages. It's a brilliant score that perfectly reflects the world it lives in.

I agree, I love that track so much. From 1:30 to the rest. Hell, the whole thing, really.

#16 Posted by TheBarrylad (44 posts) -

Absolutely love it. Kinda surprised it didn't get a top three nod in the Best Sound award here. So many of those songs are burned into my memory that whenever I think of the game's biggest moments, the respective song is tied to it. Like, when you recall the giraffe scene, how can you not hear the subtle piano keys 'Vanishing Grace?' The subtlety of the different variants of 'All gone' and how they play at the beginning with Sarah and the end with Ellie to further hit home with that parallel is amazing. Kinda bummed that some of the tracks aren't on the officially released OST and you have to rely on iffy YouTube rips. And they're significant ones too, like one of the menu themes which is also used for scenes like when Henry dies.

#17 Posted by CodeFire (185 posts) -
#18 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

It's phenomenal.

#19 Posted by believer258 (11924 posts) -

It does a lot for the game's mood but it's not anything I would listen to outside of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.