Endure This! Run! Part 2

Posted by DocHaus (1325 posts) -

Endure This! Run! Part 2: Cave?

When we last left our tale, a boy named Rush decided to rush into the middle of a battlefield to pursue a woman way too old to be his sister. Said woman was about to be sacrificed by a young blonde man named David, despite the fact that he could target his BFG to aim only at bad guys...come to think of it, David's army didn't even have to show up on the battlefield at all. But just as the woman was about to meet her end on the business end of the Gae Bolg, a giant magic bubble shield pops up from nowhere, saving both Rush and Emma from a less-than-friendly magical teabagging.

Emma is less-than pleased

Emma: "You bloomin' idiot! Who the hell are you?"

Rush: Huh, I don't even get a "thank you for saving me from the giant magical death ray cannon?"

Emma: "Are you a spy?"

Rush: "Hey, I came to find my younger sister!"

Emma: "Do I look like a younger sister to you?"

Rush: "Well, from a kilometer or two away..."

Just before Emma can smack some sense into the boy, the rocks beneath the two come loose, sending them tumbling down into a cave below.

Thanks to the wonders of anime physics, the two survive without a scratch. Emma looks up to hear the other Athlumian generals inquire about her status.

Blocter: "Hey Emma? You alright? Me and Pagus here were taking bets on whether or not you'd survive the fall!"

Emma: "Yes! I'm perfectly all right, thank you!"

Blocter: "Aww...now I'm out 10 Gold."

Emma: "10 Gold? Is that it?"

Random Soldier: "Ma'am? Can you see a way out?"

Emma: "There's a light in the distance!"

Blocter: "You sure you're not dead? I mean, I heard when there's a light at the end of the tunnel that means--"

Emma: "Just meet us at the other end of it!"

Random soldier: "Us?"

Emma: "Yeah, one other boy has some serious plot armor on. Looks like I'll have to help him out."

Random soldier: "Well...if you're sure."

Rush: "Um, what are you guys talking about?"

Emma: "We're in a cave, the exit is over there, against my better judgment I am going to help you get out of here. Any other obvious points you'd like to know?"

Rush: "Yeah, uh...what's a cave?"

Emma does not approve of Rush's ignorance

Emma: "No, I refuse to believe that any boy could be this stupid, even if you did hit your head on a large rock seconds ago! Give me one reason I shouldn't gut you right now!"

Rush: "Because I'm the hero of a JRPG!"

Emma: "That's not true...that's impossible!"

Rush: "Search this flashback, you know it to be true!"

Emma: "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

We begin this tale in a field of flowers, much like the ones Rush found at the start of the game, before our trip to Flashback-land. This is Rush's sister Irina, for real this time. Notice how much she looks and sounds like Emma? SPOILER: She doesn't.

I screwed up on the screenshotting here, but Rush runs into the field all excited carrying what appears to be a small box. Apparently, daddy decided to send them a message.

A message in the form of a box that projects a magical hologram...okay, that's a bit of a stretch, but let's roll with it.

Mr. Sykes: Hello there Obi-Wan Kenobi and Princess Leia! How're my two little wookies doing? Hope you've been brushing your teeth and eating your vegetables while we've been away. We're just so close to finding the key to this whole Remnant thing. When the grant money starts rolling in, then maybe we can look you in the eyes again without feeling like failures!

Mr. Sykes: So...long story short, you guys are going to have to make your own Christmas presents again this year. But we promise we'll be back for New Years. Probably. Maybe. We'll think about it.

Mrs. Sykes: Honey, give them some encouragement!

Mr. Sykes: Right. So uh...look on the bright side, at least we aren't dead like every other protagonist's parents out there. Right?

Noticeably, Irina's heard this tale before, where their parents think of another excuse they won't be home...wherever their home is. They never quite point that out. However, as if on cue, the sky suddenly grows dark and a giant glowing beast slams down right next to them.

Rush: Hey, Irina? Did the weather report say anything about raining Remnants?

Irina: What weather report?

Rush: We live in a world with magical cannons and pre-recorded holographic messages. I kind of assumed a magical Doppler 5000 wouldn't be too far off.

Rush is interrupted by the appearance of multiple monsters, the glowing winged Remnant thing, and a black guy with parachute pants. In true video game fashion, the evil guy carries off Irina to complete some part of his "kidnapped princess" quota while he assumes the monsters will destroy Rush for good.

Rush is particularly enraged at this turn of events. His parents aren't coming back, and Irina never told him the weather report. So he does what any protagonist would do in this situation.

That's right. He turns super-Saiyan and destroys the monsters with a wave of glowing energy.

Emma is distraught at this particular turn of events back in the present.

Rush: "...and then I woke up here."

Emma: "Oh lord, I really am stuck in a JRPG aren't I?"

Rush: " 'fraid so."

Emma: *deep sigh* "Well, fine, let's just get out of this cave and hope I'm at least worthy of sidekick status." *grumble* "Stupid bloody Square Enix, making this idiot the main hero."

After several minutes of cutscenes, we can actually move in yet another tutorial map.

In a nutshell, this thing is a treasure chest (Remnant). You'll find them in various maps.

Emma: "Say, Rush, do you know how to handle a sword?"

Rush: "Yeah. Just take the blunt end and stick the sharp end into the bad guy, right? Or was it the other way around?"

Emma: "...I'm going to pretend you just said 'yes' and stopped talking."

Believe it or not, Rush can use any weapon in this game (except for some race-specific weaponry). Swords, axes, staves, you name it. However, the more he uses a certain type of weapon in combat, the more attuned to that weapon setting his combat skills will evolve. There are different techniques that can be unleashed while dual-wielding swords, or using a single sword, or a one-handed axe, or others that cannot be used with another weapon. And even then those skills can split between ones that focus on speed and accuracy versus ones that focus on power. But for now, all you get to use is a basic Broadsword. So don't worry yet.

Here is Rush's current equipment. While you can see the equipment of any character in your army, Rush is the only person whose equipment you can directly change. Yet another thing that is very annoying about this game for the more strategically-minded. On occasion, one of your allied units might ask for a weapon or item that you aren't using if the AI thinks it is better than their current equipment. We'll dig into allied equipment later, but just be warned that if you wanted more control over your army, you will be disappointed.

Also, that Talisman is a Unique item that Rush possesses. It cannot be unequipped or sold, and it obviously has no bearing on the story. Right?

Several major characters have their own "Unique" item that can enable them to do amazing things within combat under the right conditions. Another thing we'll get to later.

In the distance, a Jhana fighter sits around. Just waiting for Rush and Emma to smack him. This is mainly to teach you how to set the table to engage enemies in dungeons or battlefields. You get close enough without touching them and you push the right trigger (or your PC equivalent) to engage in battle. Some enemies will come after you, others will get scared and run away, and some will just sit around and let you decide what to do. This is one of the more good elements of this game, in my opinion, in that it doesn't just fling you into random encounters every two steps.

After you trigger a battle and beat this enemy, you will continue down the path until you face this nasty beast.

A giant Raptor falls from the ceiling of the cave. Apparently this one is special, as it has Spiderman-like sticking powers and agility. Each side will keep dodging the other's attacks, until...

Yep, Rush turns super-Saiyan again and magic-punches the Raptor to death. You can actually pull this off in the game, as long as Rush is the leader, his Union has extremely high or extremely low unit morale, and a good deal of AP.

Emma: "Oh, so you weren't joking about the super-Saiyan thing? I guess you might not be completely useless after all."

Next Time on Endure This! Run!

• David sends Rush on tests of courage.
  • Rush learns about risk and reward.
  • Blocter finds a kindred spirit?

Bonus Content!

Profile of Emma Honeywell:

One of Athlum's Four Generals, Stern and driven, but dedicated to Athlum--and her only daughter.

Emma dual-wields a pair of swords in combat, a longsword and a tuck, but can also learn some healing magic as well as the game goes on. Be warned, there will be a big spoiler or two if you read her wiki page too closely.

Japanese VoiceAtsuko Tanaka
English VoiceSusan Duerden
#1 Posted by DocHaus (1325 posts) -

Endure This! Run! Part 2: Cave?

When we last left our tale, a boy named Rush decided to rush into the middle of a battlefield to pursue a woman way too old to be his sister. Said woman was about to be sacrificed by a young blonde man named David, despite the fact that he could target his BFG to aim only at bad guys...come to think of it, David's army didn't even have to show up on the battlefield at all. But just as the woman was about to meet her end on the business end of the Gae Bolg, a giant magic bubble shield pops up from nowhere, saving both Rush and Emma from a less-than-friendly magical teabagging.

Emma is less-than pleased

Emma: "You bloomin' idiot! Who the hell are you?"

Rush: Huh, I don't even get a "thank you for saving me from the giant magical death ray cannon?"

Emma: "Are you a spy?"

Rush: "Hey, I came to find my younger sister!"

Emma: "Do I look like a younger sister to you?"

Rush: "Well, from a kilometer or two away..."

Just before Emma can smack some sense into the boy, the rocks beneath the two come loose, sending them tumbling down into a cave below.

Thanks to the wonders of anime physics, the two survive without a scratch. Emma looks up to hear the other Athlumian generals inquire about her status.

Blocter: "Hey Emma? You alright? Me and Pagus here were taking bets on whether or not you'd survive the fall!"

Emma: "Yes! I'm perfectly all right, thank you!"

Blocter: "Aww...now I'm out 10 Gold."

Emma: "10 Gold? Is that it?"

Random Soldier: "Ma'am? Can you see a way out?"

Emma: "There's a light in the distance!"

Blocter: "You sure you're not dead? I mean, I heard when there's a light at the end of the tunnel that means--"

Emma: "Just meet us at the other end of it!"

Random soldier: "Us?"

Emma: "Yeah, one other boy has some serious plot armor on. Looks like I'll have to help him out."

Random soldier: "Well...if you're sure."

Rush: "Um, what are you guys talking about?"

Emma: "We're in a cave, the exit is over there, against my better judgment I am going to help you get out of here. Any other obvious points you'd like to know?"

Rush: "Yeah, uh...what's a cave?"

Emma does not approve of Rush's ignorance

Emma: "No, I refuse to believe that any boy could be this stupid, even if you did hit your head on a large rock seconds ago! Give me one reason I shouldn't gut you right now!"

Rush: "Because I'm the hero of a JRPG!"

Emma: "That's not true...that's impossible!"

Rush: "Search this flashback, you know it to be true!"

Emma: "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

We begin this tale in a field of flowers, much like the ones Rush found at the start of the game, before our trip to Flashback-land. This is Rush's sister Irina, for real this time. Notice how much she looks and sounds like Emma? SPOILER: She doesn't.

I screwed up on the screenshotting here, but Rush runs into the field all excited carrying what appears to be a small box. Apparently, daddy decided to send them a message.

A message in the form of a box that projects a magical hologram...okay, that's a bit of a stretch, but let's roll with it.

Mr. Sykes: Hello there Obi-Wan Kenobi and Princess Leia! How're my two little wookies doing? Hope you've been brushing your teeth and eating your vegetables while we've been away. We're just so close to finding the key to this whole Remnant thing. When the grant money starts rolling in, then maybe we can look you in the eyes again without feeling like failures!

Mr. Sykes: So...long story short, you guys are going to have to make your own Christmas presents again this year. But we promise we'll be back for New Years. Probably. Maybe. We'll think about it.

Mrs. Sykes: Honey, give them some encouragement!

Mr. Sykes: Right. So uh...look on the bright side, at least we aren't dead like every other protagonist's parents out there. Right?

Noticeably, Irina's heard this tale before, where their parents think of another excuse they won't be home...wherever their home is. They never quite point that out. However, as if on cue, the sky suddenly grows dark and a giant glowing beast slams down right next to them.

Rush: Hey, Irina? Did the weather report say anything about raining Remnants?

Irina: What weather report?

Rush: We live in a world with magical cannons and pre-recorded holographic messages. I kind of assumed a magical Doppler 5000 wouldn't be too far off.

Rush is interrupted by the appearance of multiple monsters, the glowing winged Remnant thing, and a black guy with parachute pants. In true video game fashion, the evil guy carries off Irina to complete some part of his "kidnapped princess" quota while he assumes the monsters will destroy Rush for good.

Rush is particularly enraged at this turn of events. His parents aren't coming back, and Irina never told him the weather report. So he does what any protagonist would do in this situation.

That's right. He turns super-Saiyan and destroys the monsters with a wave of glowing energy.

Emma is distraught at this particular turn of events back in the present.

Rush: "...and then I woke up here."

Emma: "Oh lord, I really am stuck in a JRPG aren't I?"

Rush: " 'fraid so."

Emma: *deep sigh* "Well, fine, let's just get out of this cave and hope I'm at least worthy of sidekick status." *grumble* "Stupid bloody Square Enix, making this idiot the main hero."

After several minutes of cutscenes, we can actually move in yet another tutorial map.

In a nutshell, this thing is a treasure chest (Remnant). You'll find them in various maps.

Emma: "Say, Rush, do you know how to handle a sword?"

Rush: "Yeah. Just take the blunt end and stick the sharp end into the bad guy, right? Or was it the other way around?"

Emma: "...I'm going to pretend you just said 'yes' and stopped talking."

Believe it or not, Rush can use any weapon in this game (except for some race-specific weaponry). Swords, axes, staves, you name it. However, the more he uses a certain type of weapon in combat, the more attuned to that weapon setting his combat skills will evolve. There are different techniques that can be unleashed while dual-wielding swords, or using a single sword, or a one-handed axe, or others that cannot be used with another weapon. And even then those skills can split between ones that focus on speed and accuracy versus ones that focus on power. But for now, all you get to use is a basic Broadsword. So don't worry yet.

Here is Rush's current equipment. While you can see the equipment of any character in your army, Rush is the only person whose equipment you can directly change. Yet another thing that is very annoying about this game for the more strategically-minded. On occasion, one of your allied units might ask for a weapon or item that you aren't using if the AI thinks it is better than their current equipment. We'll dig into allied equipment later, but just be warned that if you wanted more control over your army, you will be disappointed.

Also, that Talisman is a Unique item that Rush possesses. It cannot be unequipped or sold, and it obviously has no bearing on the story. Right?

Several major characters have their own "Unique" item that can enable them to do amazing things within combat under the right conditions. Another thing we'll get to later.

In the distance, a Jhana fighter sits around. Just waiting for Rush and Emma to smack him. This is mainly to teach you how to set the table to engage enemies in dungeons or battlefields. You get close enough without touching them and you push the right trigger (or your PC equivalent) to engage in battle. Some enemies will come after you, others will get scared and run away, and some will just sit around and let you decide what to do. This is one of the more good elements of this game, in my opinion, in that it doesn't just fling you into random encounters every two steps.

After you trigger a battle and beat this enemy, you will continue down the path until you face this nasty beast.

A giant Raptor falls from the ceiling of the cave. Apparently this one is special, as it has Spiderman-like sticking powers and agility. Each side will keep dodging the other's attacks, until...

Yep, Rush turns super-Saiyan again and magic-punches the Raptor to death. You can actually pull this off in the game, as long as Rush is the leader, his Union has extremely high or extremely low unit morale, and a good deal of AP.

Emma: "Oh, so you weren't joking about the super-Saiyan thing? I guess you might not be completely useless after all."

Next Time on Endure This! Run!

• David sends Rush on tests of courage.
  • Rush learns about risk and reward.
  • Blocter finds a kindred spirit?

Bonus Content!

Profile of Emma Honeywell:

One of Athlum's Four Generals, Stern and driven, but dedicated to Athlum--and her only daughter.

Emma dual-wields a pair of swords in combat, a longsword and a tuck, but can also learn some healing magic as well as the game goes on. Be warned, there will be a big spoiler or two if you read her wiki page too closely.

Japanese VoiceAtsuko Tanaka
English VoiceSusan Duerden
#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Definitely getting better; you're explaining the story in a way that makes it more apparent, and the gameplay aspects are being explained kinda well. Still wish you'd stop ripping off The Dark Id (I now regret shoving that damn Dirge of Cerberus LP into your intro blog), but whatever, there are bigger problems, like that Star Wars joke. That wasn't really relevant (at least the way you set it up (it's set-up/punchline, not punchline/set-up) or terribly funny.

#3 Posted by DocHaus (1325 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Thanks. I'll try and tone down the shitty jokes next time.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@DocHaus said:

@Video_Game_King: Thanks. I'll try and tone down the shitty jokes next time.

That phrase is how I should end all my blogs :P.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.