Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last Remnant

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 20, 2008

Last Remnant is a Square Enix-developed RPG with a new and unique combat system that invites the gamers to an exciting experience.

What is up with this game?

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By vidiot

Even after watching and reading a load of previews for this game I am a bit lost.

I just watched a video of a game that clearly looked unfinished. Environmental set pieces/characters disappearing while in battle. And simply one of the worst frame-rate's I've seen in a game in years.

Then I read on the preview that it's taken from the latest English build.

Excuse me? I can't believe that is true and I hope someone could validate whether or not it is true. I know the Unreal Engine is an ungodly technical mess, it seems in the hands of everyone else other than Epic.
    Is this thing optimized? . . . . at all?

Even though this game seems to be the big new title Square is releasing this holiday season I see no reviews even after a day from it's release.

Does anyone have it? What's the deal with this game?

jamBOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By jamBOT

Yes... he's right, this game launched yesterday and there's NO REVIEWS ANYWHERE?  What's up with that?  It kinda feels like this whole process is an after thought. Square goes on and on about a NEW non-Final Fantasy Game, but then there's no fuse made on the week of it's release?  

"Oh, right, yeah... you can buy it... you know... if you want to... cause, we'll take your money, but... no rush.  It's cool"

Huh?  What?  I'm very confused.
    Fritzerbacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Fritzerbacon

Agreed!! I was stoked for this game. I've seen a commercial for it once, and ads online everywhere, but no one has anything to say about it. I hope its good, not just another wasted 60 bucks.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#4  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Gamepro had a review up, if I"m not mistaken.  It looks pretty unfinished.  Between this and Infinite Undiscovery, I'm really disappointed in SE's efforts on the 360 so far.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By shadows_kill
    Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    "Gamepro had a review up, if I"m not mistaken.  It looks pretty unfinished.  Between this and Infinite Undiscovery, I'm really disappointed in SE's efforts on the 360 so far."
    remember tough its also on ps3 (well soon.. also isnt the PC version out too?)
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By zitosilva

Really weird, but I haven't heard a lot of good things from it as well. I've seen the characters profiles and all that and it seems like they've really gone the maximun cliché they possibly can with this game. I'm guessing it'll probably be your average RPG, if you like JRPG you'll kike it, but it'll not put anything new to the table.

But hopefuly I'm wrong.

jamBOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jamBOT

OK...

I found some information about Last Remnants.  All I have to say is, what a roller-coaster of reviews.  Not BAD really, but more "Great" to "Uneven", thoughts were the words used by 3 different reviewers.

The over all sense that I'm getting, is basically this;  "if you liked FF12, Gambits, overly complicated controls, hours of detailed weapons and armor, and long cluster-f_ck epic battle scenes.  THEN you are going to LOVE this game."  Now, if anything in that description makes you want to throw-up, roll your eyes, or bores you to tears.  Then you will HATE this game.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3171361&p=4&sec=PREVIEWS

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171265

http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/207945/the-last-remnant/

Lucky for me, I liked FF12, and played it for like 200 hours, twice, so I'm going to be in "hogs heaven".  But I know a lot of people didn't like it -- so this information will help you save $60 bucks (and hours of pain).

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    shadows_kill said:
    "Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    "Gamepro had a review up, if I"m not mistaken.  It looks pretty unfinished.  Between this and Infinite Undiscovery, I'm really disappointed in SE's efforts on the 360 so far."
    remember tough its also on ps3 (well soon.. also isnt the PC version out too?)"

Didn't know that.  Thanks!  It wasn't meant as a system troll comment or anything.  I'd just love a top-tier AAA JRPG on the 360.  I liked Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, but I'd love to see something fantastic.  I guess I'd better keep my fingers crossed for Star Ocean and FFXIII.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By vidiot
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "

I'm going to get it, but at a price drop.  I've just gotten too many games that I haven't beat yet.

This game seems like a FF12 successor, probably would have rated similarly if FF didnt have the name (lets face it, FF12 was good, but not FF good).  Can't wait till Star Ocean and then FF13 (although there's no confirmed date for that?)

And thinking about it, I wonder what Mistwalker's up to.  Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are some of my favorite games this generation, I really wonder how Cry On is coming along.  Is was suppose to be out for this holiday (obviously delayed).
    probably will hear something come the next showcase thing.... I hope.

"
    Last I heard both Blue Dragon and Lost Odysseys have sequels are in very early development. I had also heard that a Lost Odyssey sequel had begun production before a sequel to Blue Dragon but at this point in time it's all speculation and rumors. I agree, I would like to hear some concrete plans a bit soon.

I really enjoyed FFXII. I am not feeling this game at all, and all of my issues stem from the technical problems I've seen.

I have small standards when it comes to technical issues that crop up in games. I didn't mind Lost Odyssey's or Mass Effect's loading issues at all. And recently I've found Fallout 3's plethora of issues more humorous than problematic.

But what I saw in some of those videos were seriously atrocious. I have seen better, and deserve better from a company like Square. You make a game that involves multiple units: and the game seems to slow down when there are over four characters on screen at once? That seems a bit awkward.

I do hope that some sort of patch is released to remedy what I've seen. Perhaps something can be added with the option of installing it?! I guess I'll wait for the PS3 version.

Gamespot Review
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By daniel_beck_90

the game looks rushed

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By lucas_kelly

I got it recently. The game does have a terrible frame rate issue and loading the game onto the HDD doesn't seem to help that much. How this game was released with such bad technical problems I will never know. On the bright side, the game is actually pretty good, the battles seems like a mess at first but once you get use to them they are quite fun. The main cut scenes are also done pretty well and can be compared to the main cut scenes in Lost Odyssey, although Lost Odyssey's cut scenes were a bit more polished.

skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By skunk

This game is dope so far. The battles, like lucas_kelly said, are a bit confusing at first but once you get use to everything it's friggin' awesome. I dunno about you guys but when I installed it to HDD it made a world of difference. Still slows down and chops once in a while in the bigger (3 unions of 4 units) matches but it's totally playable. Plus the texture pop/loading is reduced quite nicely. So far I really like it, especially the battle system. It still has that square feel to it.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zitosilva
    skunk said:
    "This game is dope so far. The battles, like lucas_kelly said, are a bit confusing at first but once you get use to everything it's friggin' awesome. I dunno about you guys but when I installed it to HDD it made a world of difference. Still slows down and chops once in a while in the bigger (3 unions of 4 units) matches but it's totally playable. Plus the texture pop/loading is reduced quite nicely. So far I really like it, especially the battle system. It still has that square feel to it."
    This is good news, because I had heard the pop-ups were atrocius. Specially the comments I read at penny-arcade really frightened me about the game.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187

Um...it says Square Enix on the boxart...so it must mean it sucks ass.  If it had SquareSOFT on the cover, maybe it wouldn't suck so bad.

Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wuffi

im done with square enix ever since ff12 sucked ass

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187
    Wuffi said:
    "im done with square enix ever since ff12 sucked ass"
    That's a lie.  FFXII didn't suck ass.  FFX-2 did.  It's okay.  I can see where you were confused.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By shadows_kill
    jakob187 said:
    "Wuffi said:
    That's a lie.  FFXII didn't suck ass.  FFX-2 did.  It's okay.  I can see where you were confused."
    lol to true :P
    Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bear
    jakob187 said:
    "Um...it says Square Enix on the boxart...so it must mean it sucks ass.  If it had SquareSOFT on the cover, maybe it wouldn't suck so bad."

caption
    caption

jakob187 said:
    "Wuffi said:
    That's a lie.  FFXII didn't suck ass.  FFX-2 did.  It's okay.  I can see where you were confused."

What? Is Final Fantasy XII a good game that is worth buying, or not?  I am very confused.
    exfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By exfate

It's a shame about the technical issues. I have a feeling Squenix wont be using Unreal Engine 3 again. I haven't played the game, but just looking at it, it seems like if the technical issues weren't there it would probably be the best looking JRPG out this generation so far.

Personally I haven't picked this game up yet because of the lack of reviews. It's hard to make a decision whether to buy it ASAP or wait and pick it up cheap when there is so little information about. This Gametrailers video review is pretty informative though, and goes a long way to convincing me to buy it soonish. They make it out to be a pretty big game, probably having a fairly deep world, and a combat system that is better than it seems at a glance.

Still, need more reviews! Apparently, review copies went out late to a lot of places.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zitosilva
    Bear said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Um...it says Square Enix on the boxart...so it must mean it sucks ass.  If it had SquareSOFT on the cover, maybe it wouldn't suck so bad."

caption
    caption

jakob187 said:
    "Wuffi said:

What? Is Final Fantasy XII a good game that is worth buying, or not?  I am very confused."
    Opinions vary. Some people loved, some hated it. I personally thought the battle system was great, but the game with its characters and plot (or complete lack of it) to be terrible. But anyway, I'm getting off topic here.

I've been reading more things about the game, and the consensus seems to be that the game was obviously rushed. That's really a shame. Here's hoping they fix some of the issues when the Ps3 version is released.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    zitosilva said:
    "Bear said:
    "jakob187 said:

caption
    caption

jakob187 said:
    "Wuffi said:

What? Is Final Fantasy XII a good game that is worth buying, or not?  I am very confused."
    Opinions vary. Some people loved, some hated it. I personally thought the battle system was great, but the game with its characters and plot (or complete lack of it) to be terrible. But anyway, I'm getting off topic here.

I've been reading more things about the game, and the consensus seems to be that the game was obviously rushed. That's really a shame. Here's hoping they fix some of the issues when the Ps3 version is released."
    Like me, even though I'll say I hated FF12, in reality it's still a pretty damn good game.  It's just barely a final fantasy title.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pause422

What's up with this game?-

Its a complete shit game, that's about all that's up with it.

Oinkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Oinkness

Well I got this game on Amazon during black Friday, so I got it 50% off.... $29.95.... If it's not a perfect game then meh, but for the price, and considering I will probably like it a lot, I think it's a good deal. ;)

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pweidman

I bought the game and am over 20 hrs in.   Almost to the end of the first of two disks(that ends with 3 hard bosses in a row w/no opportunity to save...pretty brutal)  The game is pretty good really.  The art, story, character development, and especially the combat system are all very good.  There are minor tech issues(characters will temporarily disappear during battle for instance and some funky running animations), but nowhere near what the reviews claim.   I did install the game, but the review copies musta been unfinished/uncertified imo.  Anyway, at the marked down prices you see all over the internet, it's well worth a purchase if you like jrps....or not even.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

OK, I picked this one up on a killer discount, and I've gotta admit, it's a pretty good game.  The combat system is interesting, and while there's a ton of slowdown especially in combat, it's not gamebreaking.  If Square had spent a few months polishing this, it could have easily been a AAA RPG, but as it is, it's a good time waster if you can find it for a decent price.

exfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By exfate

Currently playing TLR and I think it's a shame that the general reception has been so negative. I bet there are a ton of people who would really enjoy it who wont play it because of the critical backlash. It seems most of that has been driven by the technical issues. Thing is, if you install it they're as minor as any Unreal Engine 3 game (texture pop-in, rare slow down.) I reckon most game critics haven't given it a fair shake - there's a lot of top quality JRPG goodness packed inside.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.