Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last Story

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 27, 2011

A Wii-exclusive RPG from Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi's studio Mistwalker. It tells the tale of a young mercenary that dreams to become a knight, but finds himself immersed in adventure and political intrigue after a mysterious power is bestowed upon him.

Does this have a good story and is it actually fun to play?

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So I totally forgot that this game existed until I saw someone mention it on here a few moments ago. I remember being super excited for this game before it came out, and then never ended up getting it because it seemed a lot of people didn't actually like it as much as they thought they would.

So yeah, uh, I'm going through some crappy times right now and I'd love a new game to play through and forget about stuffs for a while (I've actually just beaten FF X and VIII, both within 2 weeks :P), so now that a lot of time has passed, what do people think about this game? Should I pick it up? And while we're at it, how was that other Project.....whatever game? Pandora's Tower I think it was called?

Thanks guys!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

So I totally forgot that this game existed until I saw someone mention it on here a few moments ago. I remember being super excited for this game before it came out, and then never ended up getting it because it seemed a lot of people didn't actually like it as much as they thought they would.

So yeah, uh, I'm going through some crappy times right now and I'd love a new game to play through and forget about stuffs for a while (I've actually just beaten FF X and VIII, both within 2 weeks :P), so now that a lot of time has passed, what do people think about this game? Should I pick it up? And while we're at it, how was that other Project.....whatever game? Pandora's Tower I think it was called?

Thanks guys!

OK, here we go.

The game has its issues. I said in another thread today (it may have been the comment you read earlier) that the game is essentially a forty-hour game crammed into twenty. The reason for this is that the story feels rushed at points, and the game doesn't take full advantage of the unique aspects of the combat system. I beat the game in the span of about twenty-five hours, and that's taking into account a couple of optional chapters in the story I did in addition to those required for the main story. The city where you're free to explore and take on some side-objectives also isn't very fleshed out and the side quest system is poor in that it doesn't keep a log of what you need to do or where to go.

That being said, for all of its flaws, I enjoyed it. At heart, the game is a very Hironobu Sakaguchi game, with his preferred style of romance, protagonist, love interest, and antagonists. If you're familiar with his games, you'll probably also see a late-game twist coming about ten miles away, but even so, I didn't really mind. The other party members are all colorful and have their particular quirks, but most don't get much time to get fleshed out. The leads, Zael and Calista, are very well done I feel, and my enjoyment of the game hinged a lot on their appeal.

The gameplay is definitely unlike other RPGs I've played. You have direct control of Zael for most of the game, and the combat is largely contingent on his unique powers. One weird quirk of the game is that there are specific points in dungeons that are designed for grinding, which is quick and easy to do (basically, a symptom of the game being a longer game crammed in the span of something shorter).

So there are points about the game where it really falls short, but for the length it is and the earnestness of the leads, I'd give it a recommendation. It won't take long to complete and it has some interesting gameplay ideas, even if it doesn't always succeed in pulling them off as well as it could have.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

Great story. Very fun to play.

EDIT: Wait, I though this was about a different game. Either way, what I said holds up.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@hailinel: It was indeed the message I read! And that's cool to hear. I'll probably pick it up then. Jude and Milla were the main reasons I stuck with Tales of Xillia (doesn't at all pay off in the end btw), so I'm no stranger to two characters carrying most of the story. I just hope I can actually find a copy that isn't 100 bucks. :/

@liquidprince What game did you think I was talking about? I MUST KNOW!

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I had typed out an answer, but then realized I was thinking of Pandora's Tower(I couldn't finish that game). I never played The Last Story. I was going to rent it from Gamefly, but never did. I gotta remember to get it at some point, so thanks for reminding me of it.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Dixavd

I got about three quarters of the way through it (I think, just after the point where the side-chapters occur). I played up to that point in one sitting (which probably wasn't a good idea, as it burned me out on it). I did enjoy what I played, but it constantly felt unpolished. That said, I plan to finish it this summer as there were enough good parts for me to want to finish it.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

While I only dabbled briefly in The Last Story, I didn't think it was that interesting. Pandora's Tower, on the other hand, was a much more interesting experience and better gameplay.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By vasta_narada

The Last Story, granted I haven't finished it, was pretty average in both story and gameplay. It's been a while since I last picked it up, but I recall the gameplay being clunky but otherwise enjoyable, while the story felt a tad rushed. The characters were enjoyable, particularly the leads, Zael and Calista, but I remember not caring much for the dialogue. And the graphics are pretty bland, even by Wii standards.

Pandora's Tower, on the other hand, I think is a good game: the gameplay feels very Zelda and I think it works well. I liked the music and level designs, though the graphics were a tad hard to look at. Honestly, I don't remember much about the story, but I thought it was interesting for what it's worth. And damn, if it can't elicit some strong emotions (watching the female lead take a bite of demon meat and hating every second of it, gagging--ugh, Jesus, it gives me the shivers)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.