Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last Story

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 27, 2011

A Wii-exclusive RPG from Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi's studio Mistwalker. It tells the tale of a young mercenary that dreams to become a knight, but finds himself immersed in adventure and political intrigue after a mysterious power is bestowed upon him.

So Gameinformer gave this game a 6.0...

• 84 results
    TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By TruthTellah

Follow the money.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By alternate

I played it. Didn't care for it. Hyped due to j-rpg shortage and if it had come out on PS2 back in the day it would have gone unnoticed.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By NekuCTR

I've been hearing story that this game sucks for over 4 months. Go buy Xenoblade if you want to support niche translations.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By SomeJerk

People hyped this because it's got the Gooch behind it, and some other Final Fantasy name..

Xenoblade reigns supreme.

Bawlsz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Bawlsz

IGN gave it a score of 8.5

Gamespot 9.0

Eurogamer gave it a 7

Edge gave it a 8

Maybe you should read an opinion of more than 1 person on a game, also the Metacritic score is 80%

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#56  Edited By Hailinel
    @Fallen189
    Maybe because it's another generic JRPG?
    How many JRPGs do you know of with combat that involve cover mechanics?

Regardless, I choose to ignore GI's review score because I don't hold their reviews in high regard.
    Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By living4theday258

Game Informer gave this game a 6.0 because Game Informer thought the game deserved a 6.0.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By Fallen189
    @Hailinel said:
    @Fallen189
    How many JRPGs do you know of with combat that involve cover mechanics? Regardless, I choose to ignore GI's review score because I don't hold their reviews in high regard.
    A new mechanic doesn't denote revolution
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By Lukeweizer

How bizarre that someone had a different opinion than everyone else. They must be wrong.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By fugie7

That is a pretty good score. Still need to get it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#61  Edited By JasonR86

@fuzzypumpkin said:

That seems kind of odd, especially since everything I've read about this game is that it's amazing. I usually think GI gives games higher scores than they deserve and granted, I haven't played this game yet, a 6.0 seems mighty low. What are your thoughts?

It was the reviewer's opinion. That's that. Take it for what it's worth and move on.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#62  Edited By veektarius

@MEATBALL said:

The Last Story isn't "another generic JRPG", it is very much in similar spirit to Xenoblade, where it attempts to pull the genre into the modern day. But where Xenoblade's focus was on scope, TLS's focus is on innovative combat for the genre and a streamlined experience free of grind (that works much, much better than FFXIII). TLS is not as good as Xenoblade Chronicles, but I wouldn't hesitate to call it a must own for the Wii. Like any game, I can understand where some might not like it, but to just pass over the game as "just another generic JRPG" is fucking stupid and ignorant. Is isn't a matter of being "upset no matter the validity" because the generic label is completely invalid. I don't take issue with someone not liking the game - beyond the fact that I had the opposite experience - but lets not make ignorant assumptions. The game is almost like a game designed for people that like JRPGs but have grown to hate a bunch of things about them (like Brad, for instance).

Every major JRPG for the last ten years (on consoles, anyway) has tried to significantly alter the combat experience of JRPGs except for Lost Odyssey, which ironically is often mentioned as the best of the bunch. Think about it, FFXII + XIII, Valkyria Chronicles, Last Remnant, Nier, Resonance of Fate - all of them had atypical combat schemes. The problem with JRPGs in the modern era is not the sameness of their mechanics, its the sameness of their plot structures, dialogue (FFXII does stand out in this regard), and general themes of uncompromising virtue (which is quite out of date this side of the Pacific).

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#63  Edited By Hailinel
    @Fallen189
    @Hailinel said:
    @Fallen189
    How many JRPGs do you know of with combat that involve cover mechanics? Regardless, I choose to ignore GI's review score because I don't hold their reviews in high regard.
    It doesn't make it the same old game, either.
    AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By AngelN7

6.0 doesn't mean is a bad game if 5.0 means average then 6 is a little bit above that just don't expect more... oh right other outlest have completely screw the system by saying anything below 8 is bad . For as much I don't like Angry Joe he's the only guy who seems to use the score system right he's the only one I've seen saying average for a game with a 5 score... oh and reviews don't matter judge by yourself.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Fallen189
    @Hailinel said:
    @Fallen189
    @Hailinel said:
    @Fallen189
    It doesn't make it the same old game, either.
    There's no point trying to discuss this, you obviously won't ever cede anything. I played it months ago, thought it was kinda shit, and I thought that my opinion in this thread would be enough, without being contested.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By TheHBK

Last Story ----- Final Fantasy.

They didn't put much effort into the title, what makes you think the game would be any different?

tutuboy95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#67  Edited By tutuboy95

@aurahack said:

@Fallen189 said:

Careful saying that round these parts. People will get upset no matter the validity.

Depends on your view of generic. I don't see it that way, but hey, that's me.

@TheHBK said:

They didn't put much effort into the title, what makes you think the game would be any different?

The fact that the combat system resembles a cover shooter more than a turn-based RPG is my take.

And in any case, people do have a right to have their opinions. I don't agree with a lot of stuff Destructoid or Game Informer dish out, because I feel that they, rather than fabricating reasons, focus on the bad part on the game rather than the good part, giving the score a skew it doesn't deserve. If people are on the fence, there is no reason to not look at Reviews for guidance. But if you think the game is lookin' good, buy it, and no reason to rage at reviewers who think otherwise.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#68  Edited By Justin258

@Veektarius said:

@MEATBALL said:

The Last Story isn't "another generic JRPG", it is very much in similar spirit to Xenoblade, where it attempts to pull the genre into the modern day. But where Xenoblade's focus was on scope, TLS's focus is on innovative combat for the genre and a streamlined experience free of grind (that works much, much better than FFXIII). TLS is not as good as Xenoblade Chronicles, but I wouldn't hesitate to call it a must own for the Wii. Like any game, I can understand where some might not like it, but to just pass over the game as "just another generic JRPG" is fucking stupid and ignorant. Is isn't a matter of being "upset no matter the validity" because the generic label is completely invalid. I don't take issue with someone not liking the game - beyond the fact that I had the opposite experience - but lets not make ignorant assumptions. The game is almost like a game designed for people that like JRPGs but have grown to hate a bunch of things about them (like Brad, for instance).

Every major JRPG for the last ten years (on consoles, anyway) has tried to significantly alter the combat experience of JRPGs except for Lost Odyssey, which ironically is often mentioned as the best of the bunch. Think about it, FFXII + XIII, Valkyria Chronicles, Last Remnant, Nier, Resonance of Fate - all of them had atypical combat schemes. The problem with JRPGs in the modern era is not the sameness of their mechanics, its the sameness of their plot structures, dialogue (FFXII does stand out in this regard), and general themes of uncompromising virtue (which is quite out of date this side of the Pacific).

I don't know if themes of uncompromising virtue are "out of date"; rather, they seem mostly poorly implemented and hidden behind hours and hours of overly philosophical, poorly wrought dialogue. This is a rather uneducated notion, as I don't really play a ton of JRPG's, but that does seem to be a lot of what the genre conventions involve after poking around in it for a little while.

Besides, moral gray area is becoming overrated. Something that is clearly evil or clearly good, something the characters believe is actually worth fighting for or fighting against, needs to come into play at some point, and I believe that's where good JRPG's seem to excel in - delivering a clear good and evil split and making you want to beat the evil. They just need much, much better writers.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By Milkman

Eh, looks pretty boring to me.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By veektarius

@believer258 said:

I don't know if themes of uncompromising virtue are "out of date"; rather, they seem mostly poorly implemented and hidden behind hours and hours of overly philosophical, poorly wrought dialogue. This is a rather uneducated notion, as I don't really play a ton of JRPG's, but that does seem to be a lot of what the genre conventions involve after poking around in it for a little while.

Besides, moral gray area is becoming overrated. Something that is clearly evil or clearly good, something the characters believe is actually worth fighting for or fighting against, needs to come into play at some point, and I believe that's where good JRPG's seem to excel in - delivering a clear good and evil split and making you want to beat the evil. They just need much, much better writers.

I think we agree on the dialogue & structure - these are things that can be resolved by better writing. However, the issue of good and evil is not necessarily incompatible with moral compromise. For example, one of the things I hated most about FFX (don't know if you played it) was this idea that it was unacceptable for one 'summoner' to sacrifice him or herself in order to bring peace to the world. There was a whole lot of debate in favor of the position that it was unacceptable to willingly let anyone die. In another case (Xenoblade), the main character refuses to kill another human being, despite the fact he's totally evil and basically killed hundreds of people himself. These aren't issues of being morally unambiguous, it's just morally unrealistic to anyone over the age of 12. And while I can only speak for myself, I think there are lots of people out there who've been playing Bioware/Western RPGs and are perfectly open to getting into the Japanese counterparts if they'd just grow up.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#71  Edited By apathylad

I didn't agree with their Elite Beat Agents and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door review. I'm not gonna start agreeing now.

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By fuzzypumpkin

@TheHBK:

Wow. I totally didn't notice that connection before you wrote that. Hahaha, that is a little lazy, I must say.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By DeF
    Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Superkenon

@TheHBK said:

That name is awesome. It feels like a weird kinda passive-aggressive jab.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Bwast

Last Story 4 will be the best one. Wait and buy that one.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By JasonR86
    ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ShadyPingu

I don't see why this is an issue. Given the unusual nature of The Last Story's release, I imagine its sales potential is already pretty modest outside of its niche audience, many of whom started to disregard professional reviews of JRPGs years ago.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Superkenon

I don't think there's any review scores as disparate as the ones for JRPGs, which I think comes from how much of a mixed-bag that genre is. There's always plenty to love therein, but it tends to come alongside some less-than-stellar elements packed alongside. Some people will latch on to the good parts, others won't be able to get past the bad parts, and everything in-between. That's why review scores end up all over the damn place. 4 here, a 10 there... what does one do?!

Fortunately, as a JRPG player -- someone who's into a niche product -- you probably have a good idea on your own what you'll like and what you won't. I've always found RPG reviews completely worthless. Can tell from a mile away which ones I'll like and which ones to stay away from.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#79  Edited By OllyOxenFree

After playing through the game, 6/10 sounds about right.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#80  Edited By musubi

Jim sterling has my sword after he gave Lollipop Chainsaw a 10 along with Deadly Premonition. The thing you have to realize about sterling is he simply gives his brutal opinion on the game. If he doesn't have fun he lets you know.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By DeF

@JasonR86 said:

@DeF said:

It's not like theirs is the only opinion of the game. There's always someone who doesn't like a game for whatever reasons.

Kat Bailey (formerly of 1UP, GamePro) who specializes in RPGs of any kind gave it 4/5 on Joystiq, for example.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/15/the-last-story-review-sakaguchis-experimental-side/

Why is it that people use other people's opinions to explain why another's opinion is wrong?

Better question: why are you putting words in my mouth? Where exactly am I saying that the GI reviewer's opinion is wrong?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By JasonR86

@DeF said:

@JasonR86 said:

@DeF said:

It's not like theirs is the only opinion of the game. There's always someone who doesn't like a game for whatever reasons.

Kat Bailey (formerly of 1UP, GamePro) who specializes in RPGs of any kind gave it 4/5 on Joystiq, for example.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/15/the-last-story-review-sakaguchis-experimental-side/

Why is it that people use other people's opinions to explain why another's opinion is wrong?

Better question: why are you putting words in my mouth? Where exactly am I saying that the GI reviewer's opinion is wrong?

Well, I should have really stated that it wasn't really you per say that I was speaking about. I've seen people in this thread and on the GI website use other reviews to justify why the GI review was too low. You just happened to be the person I saw who had posted another review when I had that thought so I grabbed your post. Sorry dude. No offense. In general though I find those people despicable. But you seem like a stand up fella.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By DeF

@JasonR86 said:

@DeF said:

@JasonR86 said:

@DeF said:

Well, I should have really stated that it wasn't really you per say that I was speaking about. I've seen people in this thread and on the GI website use other reviews to justify why the GI review was too low. You just happened to be the person I saw who had posted another review when I had that thought so I grabbed your post. Sorry dude. No offense. In general though I find those people despicable. But you seem like a stand up fella.

It's fine. I might've done that before as well. :)

I think it's silly to regard a single review as THE ultimate one which reflects the right opinion. That works both ways. If the majority is bad, a stellar review shouldn't mean "see, the game actually IS good" and neither should a bad review when the majority is on the good side suggest that in truth the game is actually bad.

In my specific case, I used the 1UP review specifically because of who reviewed it. I'm not aware of the expertise in the field and taste of GI's reviewer but I know Kat Bailey plays A LOT of RPGs and doesn't discriminate against western OR Japanese RPGs. That might be a valuable opinion for people looking to potentially buy this.

That's why I don't like "X game Y a Z" threads. People tend to act like that one review is the only one that exists.

Anyway, moving on ... :D

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By algertman

Jim Sterling gave it a 4.0

Now, Destructoid didn't get a bunch of free swag or have any giveaways/contest for this game so that probably explains that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.