The Last Story comes out out tomorrow... just so everyone knows

  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

I just thought of posting this here due to the sane fact that it is coming out tomorrow and that the board is basically dead right now. I can't wait to go pick it up tomorrow!

Just thought that people should know.

#2 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

But...but...but my new Gibson comes tomorrow, and I only have two hands!

#3 Edited by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@mandude said:

But...but...but my new Gibson comes tomorrow, and I only have two hands!

Well... you could learn to play guitar with your tongue if you were determined enough... Just saying. Or your feet...

#4 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

It's times like these when I wish I hadn't bought so many games during the steam summer sale. Sorry but I gotta sit this one out. If its anything in the amount of quality that Xenoblade had id probably of liked it a whole bunch. Gonna have to wait though...

#5 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Joeyoe31 said:

It's times like these when I wish I hadn't bought so many games during the steam summer sale. Sorry but I gotta sit this one out. If its anything in the amount of quality that Xenoblade had id probably of liked it a whole bunch. Gonna have to wait though...

All the launch copies are going to be in kick ass covers, art books and all that. After that. Don't expect anything else special!

#6 Posted by Hunter5024 (5815 posts) -

Hopefully Amazon will have it for me in the mail tomorrow. Been excited for this one, though I'm not sure I even have the time to play it right now.

#7 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

@mandude said:

But...but...but my new Gibson comes tomorrow, and I only have two hands!

Well... you could learn to play guitar with your tongue if you were determined enough... Just saying. Or your feet...

Well, how many hands do I need to play the Last Story? Could I get away with one? Because I suppose I could play the guitar one handed.

#8 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4976 posts) -
#9 Posted by laserbolts (5331 posts) -

Great! I'll make sure not to buy it.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

Great! I'll make sure not to buy it.

And I'll make sure to play it so I'll know if this is justified or not.

#11 Posted by Barrock (3545 posts) -

Game Informer review isn't kind.

#12 Edited by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Game Informer did give the game a 6. However, be reminded this is the same magazine that rewards CODs with 9.5 and Paper Mario 2 with a 6 as well... also the sane fact that they seem to hate anything with even a slight Japanese tinge to it. Especially since their JRPG reviewer did leave a few months ago, after reviewing Xenoblade. Also there is a LOT of wii hate that goes on in the GI magazine... I am not even a fanboy of the wii and I notice this.

So yeah... GI is a horrible review source... IMO. However, they do have good previews.

#13 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6312 posts) -

I can't really afford it, but it would be great to see some kind of coverage from the GB crew. I know Patrick covered some big RPG releases, but maybe we could get a QL since he's out?

Wow. You can actually hear the crickets.

Moderator Online
#14 Posted by Hunter5024 (5815 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

Game Informer did give the game a 6. However, be reminded this is the same magazine that rewards CODs with 9.5 and Paper Mario 2 with a 6 as well... also the sane fact that they seem to hate anything with even a slight Japanese tinge to it. Especially since their JRPG reviewer did leave a few months ago, after reviewing Xenoblade. Also there is a LOT of wii hate that goes on in the GI magazine... I am not even a fanboy of the wii and I notice this.

So yeah... GI is a horrible review source... IMO. However, they do have good previews.

Yeah, the reviews in that magazine really are all over the place. I don't think it's console bias, but I think it's clear that they like a specific kind of game, and usually anything outside of that comfort zone scores pretty badly. If you look at their top 10 lists at the end of the year it's usually just the same 10 games shuffled around in a slightly different order for each reviewer.

#15 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I'm good.

#16 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Wait... it may not come out tomorrow... the gamestops haven't gotten their shipments in yet... Seriously Xseed? What is going on?

#17 Posted by falserelic (5468 posts) -

Hooray!!!!

#18 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11301 posts) -

I know literally NOTHING about this game, but as a person who owns a Wii, I should probably find something out about it.

Conversely, my copy of Darksiders II arrived in the mail today, so I dunno if I'll be buying anything else soon.

Moderator
#19 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

If only I wasn't already planning on getting Sleeping Dogs, Darksiders 2, and Fall of Cybertron this month! ...eh, maybe I can squeak The Last Story in there too.

#20 Posted by Spoonman671 (4699 posts) -

Yeah, I don't even know where my Wii is so...

#21 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I would like to play it. I was a fan of Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon (despite that one boss battle theme song, yeah you know the one I'm talking about, fuck that song).

But there's just one problem. IT'S ON THE FUCKING WII.

#22 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5841 posts) -

I was thinking about getting it but I bought a copy of Xenogears instead and now I don't have enough for it. 
 
damn all these difficult choices I have to make ;___;

#23 Posted by NegativeCero (3012 posts) -

I continue to not have a Wii, so I will look in from the outside with jealousy. Hopefully it doesn't become super rare and sell for crazy prices later on.

#24 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Probably wouldn't have played this even if I had my Wii. Hope other people enjoy it.

#25 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Darksiders 2.

#26 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -
@laserbolts
Great! I'll make sure not to buy it.
#27 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@McGhee said:

I would like to play it. I was a fan of Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon (despite that one boss battle theme song, yeah you know the one I'm talking about, fuck that song).

But there's just one problem. IT'S ON THE FUCKING WII.

That's you're problem now, isn't it? I'll be picking the game up, but my only problem will be that I'm still not done with Xenoblade Chronicles yet.

#28 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@McGhee said:

I would like to play it. I was a fan of Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon (despite that one boss battle theme song, yeah you know the one I'm talking about, fuck that song).

But there's just one problem. IT'S ON THE FUCKING WII.

That's you're problem now, isn't it? I'll be picking the game up, but my only problem will be that I'm still not done with Xenoblade Chronicles yet.

Yes, it would be my problem, hence me saying the words that I said, about myself. -__-

#29 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

I've been trying to deal with my backlog and then this has to come along. This is not what I need right now.

#30 Posted by LikeaSsur (1565 posts) -

Oh, man! I really want to buy this and Cenoblade Chronicles, but.....I just...don't have the time. So many games to get through first....and summer's almost over!

#31 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

i had to look this up to figure out what it was. Who the fuck knew they were still making games for the wii?

#32 Posted by Mento (2693 posts) -

Wow, this is going to sink without a trace isn't it? That's a shame.

I probably overrated it a little in that review I made, but it's an interesting game that's worth anyone's time. I don't think I've ever seen the Gears model used for anything close to a smart, strategic RPG.

Moderator
#33 Posted by biggiedubs (499 posts) -

It came out a while ago over in the UK, and I don't have a review for you guys, but let's just say I have a 20+ hour save for The Last Story that I've not touched in about a month and a half. And that I'm not exactly pining for it, either.

#34 Posted by Hosstile17 (767 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

@Jay444111 said:

Game Informer did give the game a 6. However, be reminded this is the same magazine that rewards CODs with 9.5 and Paper Mario 2 with a 6 as well... also the sane fact that they seem to hate anything with even a slight Japanese tinge to it. Especially since their JRPG reviewer did leave a few months ago, after reviewing Xenoblade. Also there is a LOT of wii hate that goes on in the GI magazine... I am not even a fanboy of the wii and I notice this.

So yeah... GI is a horrible review source... IMO. However, they do have good previews.

Yeah, the reviews in that magazine really are all over the place. I don't think it's console bias, but I think it's clear that they like a specific kind of game, and usually anything outside of that comfort zone scores pretty badly. If you look at their top 10 lists at the end of the year it's usually just the same 10 games shuffled around in a slightly different order for each reviewer.

Game Informer's JRPG reviews have been pretty spot-on lately. I am going to wait for the lion's share of reviews to hit before I move a muscle. For me, there isn't much worse of an experience to have than playing a sub-par JRPG.

#35 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

@Mento said:

I don't think I've ever seen the Gears model used for anything close to a smart, strategic RPG.

Wait, what? Well, I guess I'll find out!

#36 Posted by Mento (2693 posts) -

@LordAndrew: Insofar as it's real-time 3rd person cover-based action game at least. Every game I've encountered prior to Last Story was a shooter that never got more complex than "shoot the thing before it kills you". Hunted: The Demon's Forge had potential, but it was just repetitive arena battles occasionally broken up with Tomb Raider puzzles.

Moderator
#37 Posted by falconpunch (178 posts) -

I think gamespot realy liked it

#38 Posted by cmblasko (1282 posts) -

I might pick it up when I have less games to play. I remember the combat looking really fun when I watched a video of it awhile back. It would be unfortunate for this game to get so little attention after all of the work that fans did to convince Nintendo to localize it.

#39 Posted by PatchMaster (228 posts) -

Guess I'll go pick up my copy. Should probably finish Xenoblade first though.

#40 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Hosstile17 said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@Jay444111 said:

Game Informer did give the game a 6. However, be reminded this is the same magazine that rewards CODs with 9.5 and Paper Mario 2 with a 6 as well... also the sane fact that they seem to hate anything with even a slight Japanese tinge to it. Especially since their JRPG reviewer did leave a few months ago, after reviewing Xenoblade. Also there is a LOT of wii hate that goes on in the GI magazine... I am not even a fanboy of the wii and I notice this.

So yeah... GI is a horrible review source... IMO. However, they do have good previews.

Yeah, the reviews in that magazine really are all over the place. I don't think it's console bias, but I think it's clear that they like a specific kind of game, and usually anything outside of that comfort zone scores pretty badly. If you look at their top 10 lists at the end of the year it's usually just the same 10 games shuffled around in a slightly different order for each reviewer.

Game Informer's JRPG reviews have been pretty spot-on lately. I am going to wait for the lion's share of reviews to hit before I move a muscle. For me, there isn't much worse of an experience to have than playing a sub-par JRPG.

Not even close to spot on. When they review a JRPG, they ALWAYS have it two to even three points lower than it should and they always have WRPG's high as they can go. They are literally just trying to make Japanese video games look bad on a almost constant basis.

Also, I am wondering if people on this site have any taste at all.

#41 Posted by Hosstile17 (767 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

@Hosstile17 said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@Jay444111 said:

Game Informer did give the game a 6. However, be reminded this is the same magazine that rewards CODs with 9.5 and Paper Mario 2 with a 6 as well... also the sane fact that they seem to hate anything with even a slight Japanese tinge to it. Especially since their JRPG reviewer did leave a few months ago, after reviewing Xenoblade. Also there is a LOT of wii hate that goes on in the GI magazine... I am not even a fanboy of the wii and I notice this.

So yeah... GI is a horrible review source... IMO. However, they do have good previews.

Yeah, the reviews in that magazine really are all over the place. I don't think it's console bias, but I think it's clear that they like a specific kind of game, and usually anything outside of that comfort zone scores pretty badly. If you look at their top 10 lists at the end of the year it's usually just the same 10 games shuffled around in a slightly different order for each reviewer.

Game Informer's JRPG reviews have been pretty spot-on lately. I am going to wait for the lion's share of reviews to hit before I move a muscle. For me, there isn't much worse of an experience to have than playing a sub-par JRPG.

Not even close to spot on. When they review a JRPG, they ALWAYS have it two to even three points lower than it should and they always have WRPG's high as they can go. They are literally just trying to make Japanese video games look bad on a almost constant basis.

Also, I am wondering if people on this site have any taste at all.

Classy.

#42 Posted by Amaru25 (146 posts) -

it's coming out the 16th

#43 Posted by MiniPato (2743 posts) -

I misunderstood this as The Last Guardian and became very confused.

#44 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Hosstile17 said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Hosstile17 said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@Jay444111 said:

Game Informer did give the game a 6. However, be reminded this is the same magazine that rewards CODs with 9.5 and Paper Mario 2 with a 6 as well... also the sane fact that they seem to hate anything with even a slight Japanese tinge to it. Especially since their JRPG reviewer did leave a few months ago, after reviewing Xenoblade. Also there is a LOT of wii hate that goes on in the GI magazine... I am not even a fanboy of the wii and I notice this.

So yeah... GI is a horrible review source... IMO. However, they do have good previews.

Yeah, the reviews in that magazine really are all over the place. I don't think it's console bias, but I think it's clear that they like a specific kind of game, and usually anything outside of that comfort zone scores pretty badly. If you look at their top 10 lists at the end of the year it's usually just the same 10 games shuffled around in a slightly different order for each reviewer.

Game Informer's JRPG reviews have been pretty spot-on lately. I am going to wait for the lion's share of reviews to hit before I move a muscle. For me, there isn't much worse of an experience to have than playing a sub-par JRPG.

Not even close to spot on. When they review a JRPG, they ALWAYS have it two to even three points lower than it should and they always have WRPG's high as they can go. They are literally just trying to make Japanese video games look bad on a almost constant basis.

Also, I am wondering if people on this site have any taste at all.

Classy.

I am serious. Game Informer... I know I will get flamed for this, is racist against games from other countries a shitton of the time. They dog on any Japanese video game cliche that is 20 years old just for a laugh. Everytime a great game like Nier comes out, they give it a 7... a fucking 7... Seriously? I mean... Seriously?

#45 Posted by Hunter5024 (5815 posts) -

@Hosstile17 said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@Jay444111 said:

Game Informer did give the game a 6. However, be reminded this is the same magazine that rewards CODs with 9.5 and Paper Mario 2 with a 6 as well... also the sane fact that they seem to hate anything with even a slight Japanese tinge to it. Especially since their JRPG reviewer did leave a few months ago, after reviewing Xenoblade. Also there is a LOT of wii hate that goes on in the GI magazine... I am not even a fanboy of the wii and I notice this.

So yeah... GI is a horrible review source... IMO. However, they do have good previews.

Yeah, the reviews in that magazine really are all over the place. I don't think it's console bias, but I think it's clear that they like a specific kind of game, and usually anything outside of that comfort zone scores pretty badly. If you look at their top 10 lists at the end of the year it's usually just the same 10 games shuffled around in a slightly different order for each reviewer.

Game Informer's JRPG reviews have been pretty spot-on lately. I am going to wait for the lion's share of reviews to hit before I move a muscle. For me, there isn't much worse of an experience to have than playing a sub-par JRPG.

Well it's good that you've found their reviews to be in sync with your opinions, but that's not the case for me at all. While reading the JRPG review I got the sense that the person writing it didn't care much for the genre, he does mention playing JRPG's for 20 years, though honestly I find the old school players tend to be spewing the most vitriol towards the current state of the genre. Not that I think The Last Story will be amazing or anything (Lost Odyssey was a disappointment for me), but I think Game Informer's score will be lower than most other sources. Not that I think scores actually mean anything.

#46 Posted by Bane122 (800 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

@Hosstile17 said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Hosstile17 said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@Jay444111 said:

Game Informer did give the game a 6. However, be reminded this is the same magazine that rewards CODs with 9.5 and Paper Mario 2 with a 6 as well... also the sane fact that they seem to hate anything with even a slight Japanese tinge to it. Especially since their JRPG reviewer did leave a few months ago, after reviewing Xenoblade. Also there is a LOT of wii hate that goes on in the GI magazine... I am not even a fanboy of the wii and I notice this.

So yeah... GI is a horrible review source... IMO. However, they do have good previews.

Yeah, the reviews in that magazine really are all over the place. I don't think it's console bias, but I think it's clear that they like a specific kind of game, and usually anything outside of that comfort zone scores pretty badly. If you look at their top 10 lists at the end of the year it's usually just the same 10 games shuffled around in a slightly different order for each reviewer.

Game Informer's JRPG reviews have been pretty spot-on lately. I am going to wait for the lion's share of reviews to hit before I move a muscle. For me, there isn't much worse of an experience to have than playing a sub-par JRPG.

Not even close to spot on. When they review a JRPG, they ALWAYS have it two to even three points lower than it should and they always have WRPG's high as they can go. They are literally just trying to make Japanese video games look bad on a almost constant basis.

Also, I am wondering if people on this site have any taste at all.

Classy.

I am serious. Game Informer... I know I will get flamed for this, is racist against games from other countries a shitton of the time. They dog on any Japanese video game cliche that is 20 years old just for a laugh. Everytime a great game like Nier comes out, they give it a 7... a fucking 7... Seriously? I mean... Seriously?

You can't be racist against games.

And check metacritic, Game Informer was far from the only ones to give Nier around a 7 or lower. Also, they've given many foreign games good scores.

#47 Posted by Hosstile17 (767 posts) -

@Bane122 said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Hosstile17 said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Hosstile17 said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@Jay444111 said:

Game Informer did give the game a 6. However, be reminded this is the same magazine that rewards CODs with 9.5 and Paper Mario 2 with a 6 as well... also the sane fact that they seem to hate anything with even a slight Japanese tinge to it. Especially since their JRPG reviewer did leave a few months ago, after reviewing Xenoblade. Also there is a LOT of wii hate that goes on in the GI magazine... I am not even a fanboy of the wii and I notice this.

So yeah... GI is a horrible review source... IMO. However, they do have good previews.

Yeah, the reviews in that magazine really are all over the place. I don't think it's console bias, but I think it's clear that they like a specific kind of game, and usually anything outside of that comfort zone scores pretty badly. If you look at their top 10 lists at the end of the year it's usually just the same 10 games shuffled around in a slightly different order for each reviewer.

Game Informer's JRPG reviews have been pretty spot-on lately. I am going to wait for the lion's share of reviews to hit before I move a muscle. For me, there isn't much worse of an experience to have than playing a sub-par JRPG.

Not even close to spot on. When they review a JRPG, they ALWAYS have it two to even three points lower than it should and they always have WRPG's high as they can go. They are literally just trying to make Japanese video games look bad on a almost constant basis.

Also, I am wondering if people on this site have any taste at all.

Classy.

I am serious. Game Informer... I know I will get flamed for this, is racist against games from other countries a shitton of the time. They dog on any Japanese video game cliche that is 20 years old just for a laugh. Everytime a great game like Nier comes out, they give it a 7... a fucking 7... Seriously? I mean... Seriously?

You can't be racist against games.

And check metacritic, Game Informer was far from the only ones to give Nier around a 7 or lower. Also, they've given many foreign games good scores.

Yeah, I think claiming that just because someone doesn't like the games you like they are racist is more than a little overboard. Might want to reel that in a bit.

#48 Edited by Hunter5024 (5815 posts) -

Well forget what I said about expecting GI's score to be lower than most other peoples. Destructoid posted their review.They gave it a 4... Now there's not really any reviewers I trust when it comes to JRPG's (Destructoid specifically seems pretty fast and loose with their reviews and scores), but it's sounding more and more like this one is just going to be for JRPG aficionados. I mean 4 is a damn harsh score for any game really. A shame.

#49 Posted by Tackchevy (264 posts) -

I lost control and bought the UK limited release. Big packaging, steel case, artbook, soundtrack. Still haven't played the game yet, but it looks sweet next to my UK Xenoblade LE box, bought after Reggie's "FU, no plans at this time." email.

#50 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@FancySoapsMan said:

I was thinking about getting it but I bought a copy of Xenogears instead and now I don't have enough for it. damn all these difficult choices I have to make ;___;

Xenoblade was definitely the right choice, it's an incredibly good game.

Last Story is very mediocre.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.