The Last Story might be Sakagushi's last game.

#1 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

Siliconera

Sakagushi, who created Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey, and the upcoming The Last Story, has announced that the game might be his last work. 

The Mistwalker head blogged that, “me and my team poured 120% of our energy into this title.” He feels anxious like a kid leaving for a journey. “I am completely pouring everything into this one, there is a strong feeling this may be my last work. “

Do you see this happening? If it truly is his last, The Last Story is going to debut with a ton of hype.
#2 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

Marketing

#3 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
"Do you see this happening? If it truly is his last, The Last Story is going to debut with a ton of hype. "
Which is exactly why he's saying this.  
Everything, down to the marketing and title of the game is very similar to 'Final Fantasy' and he wants people to think this is going to be as big a break through as that was.
#4 Posted by AuthenticM (3724 posts) -

Exactly. He was saying the very same thing before Final Fantasy came out.

#5 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -
@AuthenticM said:
" Exactly. He was saying the very same thing before Final Fantasy came out. "
That was because the studio was going to close down, and Final Fantasy was going to literally be their last game before the studio ran out of money.

Of course, Final Fantasy became a super huge surprise hit, and the rest happened.
#6 Posted by Icemael (6321 posts) -

I hope not. I want to see what he's gonna make (if he actually makes it) that's "like Gears of War".

#7 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

He hasn't done much of anything in 10 years so its not a huge loss. 

#8 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" He hasn't done much of anything in 10 years so its not a huge loss.  "
didn't he do Lost Odyssey?
#9 Edited by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

I love that it's named Last Story; words which are literally synonymous with Final Fantasy.

#10 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @ryanwho said:
didn't he do Lost Odyssey? "
No. Feelplus (made up of former Shadow Hearts guys) makes LO. Mistwalker has essentially just been a publisher up until now. Also, LO wasn't super great. All the stuff wrong with it is the kind of shit I found in Sakaguchi games and didn't find at all in Shadow Hearts. They took 5 steps back in streamlining and made a pretty 1998 game. 
#11 Posted by Icemael (6321 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @Laketown said:
" @ryanwho said:
No. Feelplus (made up of former Shadow Hearts guys) makes LO. Mistwalker has essentially just been a publisher up until now. Also, LO wasn't super great. All the stuff wrong with it is the kind of shit I found in Sakaguchi games and didn't find at all in Shadow Hearts. They took 5 steps back in streamlining and made a pretty 1998 game.  "
He acted as producer and writer, so he did work on the game... just not as the director. 

He also made Blue Dragon, but nobody seems to care about that game (myself included).
#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

He better go out like the Saturn did...if you ignore Magic Knight Rayearth.

#13 Posted by dastly75 (112 posts) -

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/17/the-last-story-may-not-be-sakaguchis-last-game-after-all/

#14 Posted by CharleyTony (924 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @Laketown said:
" @ryanwho said:
No. Feelplus (made up of former Shadow Hearts guys) makes LO. Mistwalker has essentially just been a publisher up until now. Also, LO wasn't super great. All the stuff wrong with it is the kind of shit I found in Sakaguchi games and didn't find at all in Shadow Hearts. They took 5 steps back in streamlining and made a pretty 1998 game.  "
He did make Lost Odyssey & Blue Dragon. Feelplus is a subcontractor for the coding of the game, but Mystwalker is not the publisher, the are the Developer in tandem with Feelplus. The publisher of those games was Microsoft. The thing to remember is that when Sakaguchi started Mystwalker, he got some funding from Microsoft but could not become a huge studio with 100 employees. 

You can like LO or not but it is a games that got good reviews and it didn't sell so well. But for people who missed traditional JRPG, it was the only thing available on HD consoles (at least the 360) at that time. And everyone knows that FF13 didn't please everyone after that.
#15 Posted by Blind_Evil (306 posts) -

@Icemael: It was Miyamoto that said he could make Gears if he wanted to, wasn't it? Or was that Halo...

#16 Posted by Hailinel (24707 posts) -

@Blind_Evil said:

@Icemael: It was Miyamoto that said he could make Gears if he wanted to, wasn't it? Or was that Halo...

Necro-posting aside, I think he was referring more toward some of the gameplay mechanics in The Last Story, which include taking cover and a form of third-person shooting.

That being said, that initial quote that the OP referenced was a mistranslation. Sakaguchi only stated his team was working on it like it was his last game, not that it would be his last game.

#17 Posted by Tackchevy (264 posts) -

Mistranslation, as described by HS after this news originally broke. Don't worry, he'll do something else. Also, necro-posting.

#18 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@Blind_Evil said:

Necro-posting aside, I think he was referring more toward some of the gameplay mechanics in The Last Story, which include taking cover and a form of third-person shooting.

That being said, that initial quote that the OP referenced was a mistranslation. Sakaguchi only stated his team was working on it like it was his last game, not that it would be his last game.

To take this further Sakaguchi announced recently he is making 3 iOS games. So that will be interesting I guess.
#19 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Nah, just a ploy to get you to care about this game, or buy it. I'll just not care about it.

#20 Posted by OldSnake (16 posts) -

I think this is a mix of both truth and marketing. If it does extremely well he might just try to turn this franchise into something that'll rival FF and with the poor reception the last few games have garnered, now is the best time to strike. However, I do actually think that he might just be ready to take a hiatus from video games as a whole. It's quite sad actually Square desperately needs the leadership and intangibles that Sakaguchi brings to the table. While Sakaguchi's games don't have that FF charm anymore that we're all used to. I don't know if this will ever happen, but I pray that we can at least get ONE collaboration effort between Mistwalker and Square-Enix ala Chrono Trigger.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.