Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Dragoon

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Dec 02, 1999

A young man sets out on a quest to save his childhood friend who has been kidnapped and locked in a prison. What he doesn't know is that the journey that lies ahead of him and the significance of his Father's red stone that was left behind.

Out on PSN tomorrow

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By spiceninja

And it's been out on the Japanese PSN store since fall of 2008. Took them long enough and I'm as giddy as a schoolboy (is that even the right saying?). I'm buying it the second the store updates. Is anyone else buying it? Is anyone else as excited as I am?

Fun fact: I actually bought this as a Greatest Hits when Wal-Mart was getting rid of all of their PS1 games with money I found in the parking lot on the way in. If I didn't find that money, and desperately want to find something to buy with it, I never would have played this game.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By topsteer

Yeah, I'm pretty excited for it as well. I played it back when it was released but don't remember much about it now apart from the characters.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By subject2change

It's been 20 bucks NEW on Disc for the past decade on Amazon. Coulda bought a new copy of the Greatest Hits for the past 4 years.

edit- or at least was when I bought it a year or two ago.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By ESREVER

Schoolboys aren't giddy. Its them schoolgirls who are the giddy bunch.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By spiceninja

@ESREVER: Yes, but I'm a boy (aka a man) so I couldn't really call myself a girl (aka a woman).

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ESREVER

@PlasmaBeam44: That's why its called a simile (aka a figure of speech using "like" or "as")

Being a smartass aside, I have been keeping my eye on this game since I read about its announcement on the psblog. People seem excited for it, but I've never played it. Nor do I know anything about it another than its a JRPG. does this title have any redeeming qualities to it that make it stand out from all the other jrpgs, or is this mostly a nostalgia thing?

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@ESREVER: To be honest, it's mostly nostalgia. The story, characters, and combat are all pretty good and the music is phenomenal but it's still a fair bit of rose-tinted glasses.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By donchipotle

I always wanted to finish this game, now I can

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

@ESREVER: As far as things to make it stand out from a typical RPG, the addition system they used in the combat kept it from getting boring, but it also got hellishly demanding later on. It's basically a more in-depth version of Timed Hits (And how the hell do we not have a page for that) that also gives the enemies chances to counter at certain points and can lead into somewhere around 20-hit combos for a single attack if done right. It's fun, the characters are alright, you go through a ton of varied environments, the story isn't bad, and there's a good plot twist or two and some fun boss fights to be had. I also seem to remember it being an incredibly long game, and spending a ridiculous amount of time lost in one of the first towns because of how massive it is.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By spiceninja

@ESREVER: It has more of an active battle system, which at the time I really liked compared to other JRPGs where you would press X to attack and watch it go. The dragoon transformations have been compared to Power Rangers and I loved that as a kid because I was into Power Rangers and Dragon Ball Z so it was almost like they were going Super Saiyan. So yeah, this game is more of a nostalgia thing than anything else. Most adults who were into JRPGs at the time who played it didn't really care for it because it was so derivative of other, better, JRPGs.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ESREVER

@Make_Me_Mad said:

@ESREVER: As far as things to make it stand out from a typical RPG, the addition system they used in the combat kept it from getting boring, but it also got hellishly demanding later on. It's basically a more in-depth version of Timed Hits (And how the hell do we not have a page for that) that also gives the enemies chances to counter at certain points and can lead into somewhere around 20-hit combos for a single attack if done right. It's fun, the characters are alright, you go through a ton of varied environments, the story isn't bad, and there's a good plot twist or two and some fun boss fights to be had. I also seem to remember it being an incredibly long game, and spending a ridiculous amount of time lost in one of the first towns because of how massive it is.

That sounds kind of awesome actually... Sounds like I'll have to add this to my neverending jrpg backlog. Which is growing more and more everytime PSN releases these old games. Reaping the consequences of not having ever owned a ps1 I guess.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Spoonman671

I still have my original copies of the game, but maybe I'll buy it on PSN in an attempt to send Sony a message.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

@ESREVER:

It's a lot of nostalgia, however Legend of Dragoon holds a pretty solid story backed up by great lore and a well told history. It also contains interesting villains and a cool twist. Also the CGI is incredible, and there's dragons.

The gameplay is pretty flawed but it's kind fun to see everything it has to offer. The characters aren't bad either and it's more rooted in english fantasy than japanese fantasy. As in the characters are and act like adults. The war is pretty cool too.

In short it's probably worth your time and money. It's an underrated game that transcends its own flaws.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By spiceninja

@Spoonman671: The PS1 and PS2 classics on PSN also benefit from (sometimes) very heavy anti aliasing and they're formatted properly to look nice on an HDTV. They're really better than playing on the original console.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.