Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 21, 1991

The third installment in the Zelda series makes a return to the top-down 2D gameplay of the original. Link must travel between the Light and Dark Worlds in order to set things right in the kingdom of Hyrule.

After nearly 20 years, I finally bought this game

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

I did it. After all those years of not owning a piece of History, now I finally do. I just bought it from eBay minutes ago for 35$ + 10$ for shipping. The game comes with the box and instructions booklet. Also, its the NTSC French version made for Québec, which makes it even more rare and valuable. There was a brand-new, sealed copy on eBay sporting a 299.99$ price tag. The damn thing is still in its giant plastic case. Of course, I'm not rich so I had to make do with a used copy. The last time I played this game was for the GBA back when it was released all those years ago. Man, it's about time I hook this little gem to my TV. :)

Oh, sidenote: in French, the Master Sword is not called the Master Sword, but Excalibur. Yup. ;)

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

It was my first Zelda game, I remember playing my copy so much that it broke...
    So good on ya, I still have my broken cartridge.

Isn't calling the sword Excalibur stealing? Or is the name Excalibur not licensed or something?

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Nocall
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    It was my first Zelda game, I remember playing my copy so much that it broke... So good on ya, I still have my broken cartridge. Isn't calling the sword Excalibur stealing? Or is the name Excalibur not licensed or something?
    Not 100% sure--was it a real sword or just in a story? If it was real it's fair game (I doubt anyone's estate still holds the name). If it was in a book,  it's probably old enough to be considered public domain.
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By IBurningStar

I believe Excalibur falls into public domain territory.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
    @Nocall: @IBurningStar
    Sounds logical, the king Arthur and stuff around it isn't a licensed franchise or anything so it makes sense.
    What doesn't make sense is naming the Master Sword after Excalibur, but it fits the same kind of story I suppose.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

Look at my Master Sword. Look at my Excalibur Sword. I like Master better. Have fun.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TobbRobb
    @TaliciaDragonsong: I'm pretty sure it's public domain.

I know for a fact that it's been used in several Final Fantasies as a weapon.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By AuthenticM

@TaliciaDragonsong: The Excalibur appears in The History of the Kings of Britain, written in 1136. Public domain it is. :)

edit: well, the Master Sword basically is The Excalibur, unless there are other swords stuck in stones that I don't know of.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
    @TobbRobb: @AuthenticM
    Thanks for the clarifications! 
    Excalibur just totally rings my mind towards the Arthur story, somehow I expected it to be licensed but I doubt they had such a thing back then. 
    TheLeamenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By TheLeamenator

I really wanna play this on virtual console right now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.