Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 31, 1998

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX is a 1998 remake of the 1993 Game Boy game. It features color graphics, a new dungeon and other new features.

Ballad of the Wind Fish (Reliving Link's Awakening)

Rabid619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Rabid619
    No Caption Provided

Link's Awakening holds some of my favourite memories from my childhood in it's grasp. The days that I spent sitting in my kitchen, trying to catch the sunlight at just the right angle while my dad watched over my shoulder as we figured the game out together are moments that I will never forget, and they are really the moments that formed me as a gamer. So when I recently entered a bit of a retro game kick, Link's Awakening was the first game I sought out. After searching for weeks, I found a copy at a local retro game store, and was finally able to relive the game that started it all.

Bow Wow!
    Bow Wow!

The moment that I turned the game on and woke up in my bed in Mabe village, the memories game flooding back. There was the very Mario like man standing over me, with his shining red nose, who handed me my shield as I stepped out the door. When I turned to the next screen I was greeted by the Chain Chomp (yes, from Mario) named Bow Wow that I remember being so afraid of the first time I played the game, and there was Marin. Oh, Marin, how I used to love you. It took minutes for me to reacquaint myself with the surroundings of Mabe, despite the fact that I hadn't played the game in over 10 years, and I felt like I was home.

As the game chugged on, I remembered more and more memories from my childhood. The feelings this game managed to bring back out were... amazing. The fact that I was playing on an old GBA SP with a bad backlight, forcing me to play in the sunlight so I could see the screen properly, added to that. It all felt so right, entering back into my old school gaming mode of chopping every single little bush down to get every ruby I could, talking with every NPC until they had no more to say, exploring every cave as much as I could, it was fun, more fun than I've had in a while, no doubt thanks to nostalgia.

Unclean! Unclean!
    Unclean! Unclean!

But nostalgia aside now, really, Link's Awakening is a WEIRD game. Like, really weird. You encounter such things as the previously mentioned Chain Chomp (and other Chain Chomp puppies, who are adorable), a Yoshi doll, pictures of Princess Peach, and even Kirby and the occasional Goomba as enemies. This is thanks mostly to the dream setting of the game, with it being said fairly explicitly that this whole thing is one big dream, and your goal being to wake up, and sadly, leave the island.

To do this, you have to go through eight dungeons and find the instruments required to wake the creature known as The Wind Fish. All of the classic notes are hit throughout these dungeons, along with some incredibly weird stuff, but that isn't really where the best of this game lies. In my opinion, the best of this game lies with the characters and interactions between them, and exploring this weird, wonderful little island. You come across some great characters throughout like a Rat photographer who follows Link around to take pictures of him at the oddest of times, the previously mentioned Marin, who acts as Link's love interest, and some other really just... odd things.

Awwwww yeah!
    Awwwww yeah!

By the time that I collected my last instrument and Link was ready to go wake the Wind Fish, I really wasn't. I played this over a couple weeks and thouroghly enjoyed revisiting the island and the characters that inhabited it, so it was kind of bitter sweet to play the Balled of The Wind Fish to open the egg, take on the final boss, and wake up from the dream, leaving it all behind.

With all that said (phew!), I believe that everyone should experience Link's Awakening at some point in time, especially if you area fan of The Legend of Zelda series. It has some very weird, very obscure moments that will leave you scratching your head at times, but it is absolutely worth banging your head against to experience what is in my personal favourite game in the franchise, and one of my favourites of all time. If you haven't yet, I'd say give it a chance. You can get it a multitude of different ways, or just do as I did (the crazy way), and bust out your old gameboy and play it that way. That'd be my suggestion.

Thanks for the read, if you've read to hear, I always appreciate it, if you've played through Link's Awakening in the past, feel free to share your thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Rabid619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Rabid619
    No Caption Provided

Link's Awakening holds some of my favourite memories from my childhood in it's grasp. The days that I spent sitting in my kitchen, trying to catch the sunlight at just the right angle while my dad watched over my shoulder as we figured the game out together are moments that I will never forget, and they are really the moments that formed me as a gamer. So when I recently entered a bit of a retro game kick, Link's Awakening was the first game I sought out. After searching for weeks, I found a copy at a local retro game store, and was finally able to relive the game that started it all.

Bow Wow!
    Bow Wow!

The moment that I turned the game on and woke up in my bed in Mabe village, the memories game flooding back. There was the very Mario like man standing over me, with his shining red nose, who handed me my shield as I stepped out the door. When I turned to the next screen I was greeted by the Chain Chomp (yes, from Mario) named Bow Wow that I remember being so afraid of the first time I played the game, and there was Marin. Oh, Marin, how I used to love you. It took minutes for me to reacquaint myself with the surroundings of Mabe, despite the fact that I hadn't played the game in over 10 years, and I felt like I was home.

As the game chugged on, I remembered more and more memories from my childhood. The feelings this game managed to bring back out were... amazing. The fact that I was playing on an old GBA SP with a bad backlight, forcing me to play in the sunlight so I could see the screen properly, added to that. It all felt so right, entering back into my old school gaming mode of chopping every single little bush down to get every ruby I could, talking with every NPC until they had no more to say, exploring every cave as much as I could, it was fun, more fun than I've had in a while, no doubt thanks to nostalgia.

Unclean! Unclean!
    Unclean! Unclean!

But nostalgia aside now, really, Link's Awakening is a WEIRD game. Like, really weird. You encounter such things as the previously mentioned Chain Chomp (and other Chain Chomp puppies, who are adorable), a Yoshi doll, pictures of Princess Peach, and even Kirby and the occasional Goomba as enemies. This is thanks mostly to the dream setting of the game, with it being said fairly explicitly that this whole thing is one big dream, and your goal being to wake up, and sadly, leave the island.

To do this, you have to go through eight dungeons and find the instruments required to wake the creature known as The Wind Fish. All of the classic notes are hit throughout these dungeons, along with some incredibly weird stuff, but that isn't really where the best of this game lies. In my opinion, the best of this game lies with the characters and interactions between them, and exploring this weird, wonderful little island. You come across some great characters throughout like a Rat photographer who follows Link around to take pictures of him at the oddest of times, the previously mentioned Marin, who acts as Link's love interest, and some other really just... odd things.

Awwwww yeah!
    Awwwww yeah!

By the time that I collected my last instrument and Link was ready to go wake the Wind Fish, I really wasn't. I played this over a couple weeks and thouroghly enjoyed revisiting the island and the characters that inhabited it, so it was kind of bitter sweet to play the Balled of The Wind Fish to open the egg, take on the final boss, and wake up from the dream, leaving it all behind.

With all that said (phew!), I believe that everyone should experience Link's Awakening at some point in time, especially if you area fan of The Legend of Zelda series. It has some very weird, very obscure moments that will leave you scratching your head at times, but it is absolutely worth banging your head against to experience what is in my personal favourite game in the franchise, and one of my favourites of all time. If you haven't yet, I'd say give it a chance. You can get it a multitude of different ways, or just do as I did (the crazy way), and bust out your old gameboy and play it that way. That'd be my suggestion.

Thanks for the read, if you've read to hear, I always appreciate it, if you've played through Link's Awakening in the past, feel free to share your thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@rabid619: I have made it my quest to write about every game in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die and this was the game I picked out next after recently replaying it off of 3DS EShop. I played it originally as a child just like you (although I played it on my own and didn't have anyone to help me out like your day). When I came back the most apparent thing was that I just didn't have the patience and/or mindset I did as a kid. I spent months on this game when I was younger and remember spending days or even weeks trying to figure out a single puzzle in a dungeon. As an adult I would look to the internet after 20 minutes of being stuck.

It was just interesting to me that as games have held my hand more and more (waypoints, mini-maps, objective markers, etc.) I couldn't accomplish as an adult what I did as a child.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

This is a quality blog post. I don't know why it took over a year for anyone to comment on it.

Link's Awakening is, sadly, one of the Zelda games that I never got around to playing during its original release, but I've heard and read all about it, and just seems like such an amazing game. I finally had a chance to play it on the 3DS Virtual Console, and I can see why people hold it in such high regard. It has quality Zelda gameplay, a supremely unusual premise, and a really well-made world and cast of characters. And the fact that the game ends the way that it does makes the whole of it strangely sad.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Link's Awakening is the secret best Zelda game. Then again, I have a really weird obsession with melancholy.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Link's Awakening is the secret best Zelda game. Then again, I have a really weird obsession with melancholy.

Like Majora's Mask, it seems that Link's Awakening is one of those rare Zelda games that does something way outside the norm and ends up becoming special (and ignored).

Rabid619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, this is a nice surprise to see! Very happy to have this brought up again, though it's funny to read through this only a year later and kinda shake my head. Egad, typos!

@meteora3255:

That sounds like a great idea! It's something I'd love to do as well. I've found myself occasionally going back to games that are decades old games to see what I've missed and it's always interesting (and jarring!) to remember how video games were back then. We really are pampered in the modern era... not that I'm complaining haha.

@hailinel:

Thanks, I appreciate it. Link's Awakening is certainly one of those games that slipped through the cracks for most when it was first released, so I was really happy to see it finally released on the 3DS eShop for a new audience. It really is a unique game, despite how it appears on the surface.

@starvinggamer:

Hell yeah it is!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@starvinggamer said:

Word.

Also, check out this dope concept art that was in the manual:

No Caption Provided

I gotta say, I'm pretty excited for A Link Between Worlds, if only because I dearly miss pre-Ocarina of Time Link, and his luscious, floppy hair.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.