I don't understand why people lose their ish over this game.

• 156 results
#51 Posted by CommodoreGroovy (548 posts) -

Oh you're cool: Being the guy who hates something that everyone loves. Yo dude, games were like that back then. I remember reading a review that was made back in 1998, and the author was praising how alive OoT's world was. How it was an experience like no other. So yeah, games have evolved since then and this is a very accurate representation of that.

#52 Posted by Hiashi (87 posts) -

@Akrid said:

Your first sentence answers all. You kinda had to be there. And those seem like incredibly minor gripes for a game that came out 13 years ago.
#53 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

@CommodoreGroovy said:

Oh you're cool: Being the guy who hates something that everyone loves. Yo dude, games were like that back then. I remember reading a review that was made back in 1998, and the author was praising how alive OoT's world was. How it was an experience like no other. So yeah, games have evolved since then and this is a very accurate representation of that.

I didn't say I hated it.

If I didn't like Zelda games I would have paid $10 instead of $40 and not gotten the one with flashy effects.

#54 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6937 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

Your first sentence answers all. You kinda had to be there. And those seem like incredibly minor gripes for a game that came out 13 years ago.

The joke is Majora came out 2 years later and fixed all of them but people still like OoT more.

Majora's Mask is different, strange, and terrifies people uncomfortable with breaking out of the traditional Zelda mold.

Then what about any other Zelda game ever, OoT is still the king for some reason.

I will shoot anyone who actually claims OoT is better than Wind Waker if I were to meet them in person.

I will go get a gun license, buy a mother fucking gun, go to a shooting range and pay to have lessons so I can learn to properly carry and operate a firearm, and then I will shoot them if they are still waiting for me in the same place.

If not I will go home and spam their inbox and just be satisfied with that.

followed. Just for this comment.

#55 Posted by clstirens (846 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

The joke is Majora came out 2 years later and fixed all of them but people still like OoT more.

This. I was a huge fan of MM, except some minor complaints. Mostly that you basically are replaying the game constantly, so I never really have the desire to do a second play through.

I still love OoT, but people are foolish to not enjoy MM (and still love OoT)
#56 Edited by Akrid (1346 posts) -
@Akrid said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

As a matter of fact, I'm playing through Majora's Mask right at this very moment. It's not very good. And I was one of the people who absolutely loved it at release. Of course I haven't played OoT in a very long time so it may have similar issues, or worse as you say.
Yep, just got done playing for the night and I can say without a doubt in my mind that Majora's Mask is a worse game than OoT, on my personal ranking. It has such a large host of absolutely crippling technical problems that are very specific to it. Despite my foggy memories OoT can't even begin to have as many issues, mostly because it's a much simpler game.
#57 Posted by NTM (7033 posts) -
@kingzetta: It simply has charm and it's often (or always) of great quality. Even if you're not interested in them, you can't deny the latter.
#58 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

@Akrid said:

@Akrid said:
@LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

As a matter of fact, I'm playing through Majora's Mask right at this very moment. It's not very good. And I was one of the people who absolutely loved it at release. Of course I haven't played OoT in a very long time so it may have similar issues, or worse as you say.
Yep, just got done playing for the night and I can say without a doubt in my mind that Majora's Mask is a worse game than OoT, on my personal ranking. It has such a large host of absolutely crippling technical problems that are very specific to it. OoT can't even begin to have as many issues, mostly because it's a much simpler game.

No, they just makes it better.

#59 Edited by YukoAsho (1948 posts) -
@Hailinel: I'll give you the one-button lock-on, sure, but let's not sit here and pretend that this alone makes a game the stuff of legends.  There are many influential games that were not amazing when considered as a whole.  Again, I'm not saying that the game is bad.  It's an enjoyable title.  However, much like Chrono Trigger, it doesn't deserve the legendary status it has attained, and it is certainly not a reason to buy a platform that has otherwise universally sub-par games.
#60 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6937 posts) -

@CommodoreGroovy said:

Chill out, he's not trolling he's just curious what people adore so much about OoT. It's a valid question.

#61 Posted by Hailinel (22704 posts) -

@YukoAsho said:

@Hailinel: I'll give you the one-button lock-on, sure, but let's not sit here and pretend that this alone makes a game the stuff of legends. There are many influential games that were not amazing when considered as a whole. Again, I'm not saying that the game is bad. It's an enjoyable title. However, much like Chrono Trigger, it doesn't deserve the legendary status it has attained, and it is certainly not a reason to buy a platform that has otherwise universally sub-par games.

I'm just using the lock-on mechanic as one technical gameplay example that put the game above its peers of the day. Whether or not you believe it deserves legendary status is your opinion, of course, but to a lot of people, Ocarina of Time is one of the best games of its era, if not of all-time. The best of all time debate is always a contentious one, but the game does present a number of strong reasons for why it deserves to be in the discussion.

And as for Chrono Trigger, I don't know what your beef is with that game. :P

#62 Posted by me3639 (1607 posts) -

Never played it and never intending to ever do so.

#63 Posted by Hailinel (22704 posts) -

@me3639 said:

Never played it and never intending to ever do so.

...Thank you for that completely worthless response.

#64 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6937 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@YukoAsho said:

@Hailinel: I'll give you the one-button lock-on, sure, but let's not sit here and pretend that this alone makes a game the stuff of legends. There are many influential games that were not amazing when considered as a whole. Again, I'm not saying that the game is bad. It's an enjoyable title. However, much like Chrono Trigger, it doesn't deserve the legendary status it has attained, and it is certainly not a reason to buy a platform that has otherwise universally sub-par games.

I'm just using the lock-on mechanic as one technical gameplay example that put the game above its peers of the day. Whether or not you believe it deserves legendary status is your opinion, of course, but to a lot of people, Ocarina of Time is one of the best games of its era, if not of all-time. The best of all time debate is always a contentious one, but the game does present a number of strong reasons for why it deserves to be in the discussion.

And as for Chrono Trigger, I don't know what your beef is with that game. :P

Yeah I fucking loved Chrono Trigger, maybe because the first time I ever played it was on the DS (don't hurt me!) but I find that game's story to be very unique and engaging.

#65 Posted by ajamafalous (11591 posts) -

@Slaker117 said:

I can totally understand why people who played it when it was new would still hold it in very high regard, and it has held up very well for a game over a decade old, but I wish people in general were better at recognizing the influence nostalgia has when discussing the game. The way some talk you'd think there has been no advancement in games since its release.

Thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis.

#66 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6937 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@Slaker117 said:

I can totally understand why people who played it when it was new would still hold it in very high regard, and it has held up very well for a game over a decade old, but I wish people in general were better at recognizing the influence nostalgia has when discussing the game. The way some talk you'd think there has been no advancement in games since its release.

Thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis.

Everyone knows there have been no advancements since 1998. Just look at Duke Nukem Forever.

#67 Posted by FEnergyLegs (63 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
@LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

To an extent, not really. You had less saves and dungeons, but I guess to make up for it, the game has sidequests out the ass. Also, shit ripped from Earthbound 64.
The dungeons in Majora's Mask are designed so much better than the ones in Ocarina of Time. Not only are they better but they are also longer, and there is incentive for revisiting them to gather fairies. 

And 'ripping shit from Earthbound 64' is the least valid fucking argument I've ever heard. Aliens are a universal concept, and even in the realm of Nintendo they still aren't mutually exclusive to the Mother franchise. One of the well established themes of Majora's Mask is that the world of Termina is one completely alien (yes pun intended shut the hell up) to the already established world of Hyrule, so shit like aliens makes plenty of sense in Majora's Mask. Well, it makes just as much sense as all of the Mario universe cameos in Link's Awakening. That sounds similar to what you are talking about, except it isn't at all because those are actual cameos of game characters that were established in games that ACTUALLY EXIST. Where's Earthbound 64? Yeah, its over there, not existing.

Oh, and this is entirely 100% unrelated---and fuck I probably shouldn't even be saying this---but your username annoys me quite a bit. :/
#68 Posted by Video_Game_King (34600 posts) -
@FEnergyLegs

I'll have to get back to you on that, but longer does not mean better. Granted, the Great Bay Temple is actually solvable without a FAQ, but less dungeons isn't a good thing, especially when your game requires the damn expansion pack. Also, those stray fairies were a pain in the ass.

First, I should say that the Earthbound 64 comment was a throwaway thing I said that I didn't intend to be taken seriously. I just find it weird that so much of what you find in Majora's Mask would feel too at home in an Earthbound game. But on the aliens thing: HOW DO YOU HAVE A SCI-FI MOTIF IN A MEDIEVAL GAME!? Absolutely nothing else about the game justifies such a thing, and it's not like Malon (I think it's Malon) is just calling magical beings "aliens"; the game makes a strong case for them being actual aliens. Also, Earthbound 64 exists. It wasn't released as an N64 game (Mother 3 is pretty much a 2D version of Earthbound 64 with minor differences), but it still exists.

I think a good "fuck you" is in order. You honestly had that coming, and should have seen it.
#69 Posted by HURRyDURRy (30 posts) -

You trollin' 

However entertaining it might be.

#70 Posted by LordAndrew (13977 posts) -

Fairies? Nope, doesn't ring a bell. I'd replay Majora's Mask if I remembered where my fucking Collector's Edition disc is...

#71 Posted by Hailinel (22704 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@FEnergyLegs:

I'll have to get back to you on that, but longer does not mean better. Granted, the Great Bay Temple is actually solvable without a FAQ, but less dungeons isn't a good thing, especially when your game requires the damn expansion pack. Also, those stray fairies were a pain in the ass. First, I should say that the Earthbound 64 comment was a throwaway thing I said that I didn't intend to be taken seriously. I just find it weird that so much of what you find in Majora's Mask would feel too at home in an Earthbound game. But on the aliens thing: HOW DO YOU HAVE A SCI-FI MOTIF IN A MEDIEVAL GAME!? Absolutely nothing else about the game justifies such a thing, and it's not like Malon (I think it's Malon) is just calling magical beings "aliens"; the game makes a strong case for them being actual aliens. Also, Earthbound 64 exists. It wasn't released as an N64 game (Mother 3 is pretty much a 2D version of Earthbound 64 with minor differences), but it still exists. I think a good "fuck you" is in order. You honestly had that coming, and should have seen it.

The expansion pack for the N64 didn't necessarily mean larger, longer games. It just meant that the game was designed and programmed in such a way that it required the extra juice that it provided.

Also, having aliens appear in a medieval setting is nothing that unusual or unique. Hell, in Star Ocean 3, you spend the first disc running around on planets limited to medieval levels of technology as an alien visitor. There's absolutely nothing that says aliens can't show up in a fantasy setting.

#72 Posted by Video_Game_King (34600 posts) -
@Hailinel

Still, it at least carries connotations of more shit it in a game. For example, have you seen how fucking big Donkey Kong 64 is?

I haven't played any Star Ocean past The Second Story, so I'll ignore that part. Instead, I'll say that aliens are usually a sci-fi thing, so it's pretty damn hard to put them in a medieval game without bringing up some weird questions. I can accept complicated gears and shit (à la the Great Bay Temple), but trains are where I (technologically) draw the line, and aliens are past that line.
#73 Posted by Hailinel (22704 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel:

Still, it at least carries connotations of more shit it in a game. For example, have you seen how fucking big Donkey Kong 64 is?

I haven't played any Star Ocean past The Second Story, so I'll ignore that part. Instead, I'll say that aliens are usually a sci-fi thing, so it's pretty damn hard to put them in a medieval game without bringing up some weird questions. I can accept complicated gears and shit (à la the Great Bay Temple), but trains are where I (technologically) draw the line, and aliens are past that line.

No it doesn't. Perfect Dark was not a significantly larger game than GoldenEye.

#74 Posted by Video_Game_King (34600 posts) -
@Hailinel

True, but...shit. Were there any other games that used the damn thing? * checks* A lot, but I don't see much for an argument (Rayman 2 used it? Since when?). Still, though, doesn't it seem a bit odd to follow up Ocarina of Time with less shit?
#75 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

Because the central mechanic to MM ruins an otherwise awesome game.  

Also, as to people liking OOT more, it's because it was first. The things that make OOT what it is are the things it did first (and well at that) along with the quality of everything supporting it. You can say MM was a better game (in some respects, it definitely is), but it doesn't change the fact that it was made in a much more defined, post-OOT world and the improvements it made didn't lead to a radically better game. I would even argue that the classic look of OOT is more appealing than the darker tone of MM solely because it evokes childhood fantasies much more easily. OOT (and, to an extent, all of Zelda) is idealized fantasy and instills the player with the feeling of "I'm on an adventure!", which MM doesn't do as well with its morose tone. 
#76 Posted by LordAndrew (13977 posts) -

Everything in the Professor Layton series is past every line you could possibly conceive, but it works out somehow. Aliens and trains in the Zelda series? Not a problem. You just need to broaden your horizons or some bullshit like that.

#77 Posted by Video_Game_King (34600 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:

Everything in the Professor Layton series is past every line you could possibly conceive, but it works out somehow.

What the hell does that have to do with anything? Also, how is "mysterious town causes hallucinations and a fairly disappointing ending" past a line of any type?
#78 Posted by Hailinel (22704 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel:

True, but...shit. Were there any other games that used the damn thing? * checks* A lot, but I don't see much for an argument (Rayman 2 used it? Since when?). Still, though, doesn't it seem a bit odd to follow up Ocarina of Time with less shit?

Nope. Especially given the short development cycle the team had to work with, which in itself was a major factor in why the game was designed to reuse so many assets from Ocarina of Time. The expansion pack doesn't mean that the game can contain more data. It only affects how the N64 processes the data.

#79 Posted by thevigilanteoflove (486 posts) -

Ocarina of Time is a pretty damn good game, and it holds up pretty well. Whether it's the best game of all time is a tough argument to make, as it would be for any game. That being said, it was really revolutionary at the time in terms of visuals, 3D perspective and gameplay, and overall scope. What I'm saying has been said a billion times before, but it still makes sense.

#80 Edited by FEnergyLegs (63 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

@FEnergyLegs

I'll have to get back to you on that, but longer does not mean better. Granted, the Great Bay Temple is actually solvable without a FAQ, but less dungeons isn't a good thing, especially when your game requires the damn expansion pack. Also, those stray fairies were a pain in the ass. First, I should say that the Earthbound 64 comment was a throwaway thing I said that I didn't intend to be taken seriously. I just find it weird that so much of what you find in Majora's Mask would feel too at home in an Earthbound game. But on the aliens thing: HOW DO YOU HAVE A SCI-FI MOTIF IN A MEDIEVAL GAME!? Absolutely nothing else about the game justifies such a thing, and it's not like Malon (I think it's Malon) is just calling magical beings "aliens"; the game makes a strong case for them being actual aliens. Also, Earthbound 64 exists. It wasn't released as an N64 game (Mother 3 is pretty much a 2D version of Earthbound 64 with minor differences), but it still exists. I think a good "fuck you" is in order. You honestly had that coming, and should have seen it.

I fail to see any correlation between the number of dungeons in the game and the use of the expansion pack. The expansion pack allows the game to load more objects at once and with a higher quality, it doesn't make dungeons appear. As for the quality of the dungeons---well, I don't see how any sane individual could say that Stone Tower Temple is not the best fucking dungeon in the whole franchise.  When it comes to fairy collection, well I guess your mileage may vary, but I know I enjoyed it. However, you can not argue that it did not provide an in-game incentive to return and further explore the dungeon. 

As for your Earthbound 64 comment; it definitely would have been a much more 'throwaway' had you not brought it up yet again and used it as a segue into a post about your blog.  

I still believe that aliens in Majora's Mask makes perfect sense, especially when you consider that Termina is basically another one of Link's accumulated dreamworlds. Not only does it get by for being a single facet of a dreamscape, ]but historically speaking it DOES make sense for aliens to exist in a medieval setting EDIT: apparently I don't know how to embed url here so http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraterrestrial_life#Ancient_and_medieval_ideas

And the existence of Mother 3 six years later does not justify your claim that Earthbound 64 exists. The original Earthbound 64 was a cancelled project, and while Mother 3 was a revitalization of the very same idea it is a different game in a different format. 

I mostly added that last line on your name just to tick you off, but believe me it is a pretty awful username.
#81 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

I have never understood why people let nostalgia filter their views. Ocarina was great, Goldeneye was great, and so on and so forth. The problem with this thinking is they were great for their age. We will all say Halo was a masterpiece 10-15 years from now, but anyone going back and playing them with think its archaic compared to what they are used to during the time.

Nostalgia is what makes Ocarina great, the memory of what it was and what it did for the genre. Other than that, its just another Adventure RPG in this day and age that actually does things right, and it just so happens to be 13 years old. I still find it funny that there are some games releasing today that are making the same mistakes that games of the past have, do any of the developers play games?

#82 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I was reading you until you started talking about the sages wanting to bone Link. Kind of didn't care anymore after that. Just try to keep in mind that it's 13 years old, man.

#83 Posted by Hailinel (22704 posts) -

@csoup said:

I have never understood why people let nostalgia filter their views. Ocarina was great, Goldeneye was great, and so on and so forth. The problem with this thinking is they were great for their age. We will all say Halo was a masterpiece 10-15 years from now, but anyone going back and playing them with think its archaic compared to what they are used to during the time.

Nostalgia is what makes Ocarina great, the memory of what it was and what it did for the genre. Other than that, its just another Adventure RPG in this day and age that actually does things right, and it just so happens to be 13 years old. I still find it funny that there are some games releasing today that are making the same mistakes that games of the past have, do any of the developers play games?

Games get old, but age doesn't necessarily make games any less playable or enjoyable than they were when they first came out.

#84 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5235 posts) -

I'm having fun playing Ocarina of Time again on my 3DS so I'm all good here.

#85 Edited by amomjc (977 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@csoup said:

Games get old, but age doesn't necessarily make games any less playable or enjoyable than they were when they first came out.

I will agree with this, I played the new 3DS version from start to finish and loved it. The problem lies within the ability to just let a franchise or game go. Too many people wish for a "true" Goldeneye 007 reboot, but seriously if you really go back and play that game now, if you dont whine about some of the wrongness in controls and choices the developers made, then you need to try again. Not saying Goldeneye was a bad game whatsoever, but that it plays its age. I can see Ocarina of time getting a little lee-way with this, but to be honest, it does feel like < 2000.

#86 Posted by elko84 (965 posts) -

lose my ish? what's my ish?

#87 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Favorite game of all time. Haven't played it in forever. Will no doubt buy it when I get a 3DS.

#88 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

@TheGreatGuero said:

I was reading you until you started talking about the sages wanting to bone Link. Kind of didn't care anymore after that. Just try to keep in mind that it's 13 years old, man.

Princess Ruto: And now I grant my eternal love to you.

Nabooru: If only I knew you would become such a handsome man... I should have kept the promise I made back then...

Darunia: Don't forget you and I are now true Brothers.

#89 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish: Well then. Nevermind what I said! That's a pretty convincing argument...
#90 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

I've always thought Zelda was overrated. None of them have ever been as good as Alundra, a so-called "Zelda clone".

#91 Posted by pornstorestiffi (4905 posts) -
@elko84 said:

lose my ish? what's my ish?

Its slang, means shit. But sounds moronic, and i have no clue why people use it instead of just saying or writing shit.
#92 Posted by SSully (4059 posts) -

I love when people make threads saying how they dont get why an old game is so popular, and then say how they just played the game. Obviously the game was something special back in the day, and for those of us who got to witness it then are still in love with it to this day. Some people will still be able to love it, but most people will just think its a crappy old game.

#93 Posted by Heltom92 (693 posts) -

Now that the 3DS version is out I would only play that version, the graphics and UI in the original are not good. Having watched that playthroughs of the original on Gamesradar it is safe to say that it has not aged well, but the 3DS version eliminates most of the problems.

#94 Posted by Video_Game_King (34600 posts) -
@FEnergyLegs

I think Hailinel kinda disproved my expansion pack point, so it's useless to talk about that anymore. Instead, Great Bay Temple is the best. Stone Tower was a fucking nightmare to navigate, even with a map and a guide! 

When it comes to fairy collection, I can argue that it doesn't if you're smart enough to start a damn temple on the first day, play the Inverted Song of Time, and collect them while you're playing the dungeon.

So it would have been a throwaway comment had not somebody replied to it? Uh.....*awkward cough, blatant pointing*....

First off, the little chain button next to the Insert button. Second, those are a helluva lot more mythological than Majora's Mask gives credit for. I don't think medieval ideas of aliens involved "abducting cows in light beams and scooping brains out." Hell, according to that link, the medieval idea of aliens was "Aristotle says that aliens are shit, so aliens are shit."

But they're the same damn thing. The only major difference between the two is a dimension. But even if Mother 3 wasn't released, Earthbound 64 would still exist, but I think this is were it becomes clear that our definitions of "exist" differ quite a bit.

No, it isn't. Let's just move on from that.
#95 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

The game is more fan service than anything. This 3DS version is made for people who lost their shit when they played the original.

#96 Posted by DrMcKittrick (231 posts) -

If you aren't old enough to have bought an NES when they first came out then you have no real business discussing the progression of The Legend of Zelda.

#97 Posted by mnzy (2909 posts) -
@DrMcKittrick: So everbody who is not in his mid 30s is not allowed to talk about Zelda?
#98 Posted by AlexW00d (6059 posts) -

I got it with the Gold version of Windwaker (or whatever version it came with) for the Gamecube and tried to play it, but Windwaker just seemed a better game so I played that instead. Not for very long mind, I got bored of that pretty quickly, fuck that boat shit.

#99 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@DrMcKittrick said:

If you aren't old enough to have bought an NES when they first came out then you have no real business discussing the progression of The Legend of Zelda.

That's not true. It's the same as saying if you weren't alive during the Renaissance you have no business discussing the progression of Classical Music. Context can be taught and people with enough intellect and aptitude understand the relevance of specific things in context to the periods in which they were created. I'm almost 40 and I know well enough that many people will never know what PC games used to be like when I was growing up but I also know there will always be people who have interest enough to really find out. Some of those people were directly involved in creating DOSBox (and I was around to witness some of that) and DOSBox allowed GoG to sell many older games which would've otherwise be lost to the sea of time (and caught in the murky undertow of abandonware) and you can guarantee that a lot of people who buy from GoG now never had a computer way back when, were too young to play those games or weren't even born at all. In all of those cases, if the games are good enough to withstand modern scrutiny then the ages of the audience don't matter much. However, there will always be cases when certain gameplay elements and mechanics are particularly relevant to the times in which the games were created and as such the newer audience needs to be educated wrt to these things - which is why things like Giantbomb's database and other wikis exist.

People who aren't old enough to have bought a NES when they were new have just as much business discussing Zelda as the older fans do, they just need to be aware of context, that's all.

#100 Posted by Hailinel (22704 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: The medieval concept of what aliens may or may not have been in reality hundreds of years ago doesn't necessarily have to match how they are conceived in a modern-day fantasy-themed video game with a medieval setting.

Also, Aristotle lived and died significantly before the medieval era began.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.