Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 21, 1998

The first 3D Legend of Zelda game, Ocarina of Time was created for the Nintendo 64 in 1998 and introduced innovative mechanics such as Z-targeting as well as many of the series' other trademarks. It has frequently been ranked as the greatest game of all time by many publications.

How well has Ocarina ot Time aged?

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Recently I got out my copy of Ocarina ot Time for a little trip through memory lane.  I was curious with how well I would still like it and to my surprise it holds up really well.  Outside of the graphics looking like ass and the N64 controller being stupid I still had a great time.  Walking into Hyrule field still felt just as impressive as it did the first time I played it.  The combat was still really fun and the puzzles were no different.  Has anyone else played this lately and what did you think?  Can you remember any other games that you think have stood the test of time?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By ZombiePie

I played Master Quest recently and enjoyed it. But I got to say every now and then I'll be in a room in a dungeon and not know what to do in order to progress. So I think the level design has aged the worst (but it's still good), and man having to check that one room two floors up, that you passed up earlier in order to find one more DAMNED silver key to get to the dungeon boss key is just enfuriating.

Also regardless of time the WATER TEMPLE HAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE TERRIBLE!!!!

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Bullet_Jr

A good game always ages well.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mattbodega

I think the fact that Ocarina of Time still holds up so well is problematic! It means that the Zelda formula has really gone NOWHERE since the release of the Progenitor.  If modern Zelda games can't obliterate this 10 year N64 game(which was, for a good portion of my life, the game I considered to be the greatest game of all time) than that formula needs serious changes.
    Not that I mean to shit on Ocarina of Time. There are still parts of that game that I STILL think are beautiful(some of the animation and graphical effects fill me with delight). And, of course it's damn fun. It should be. We've been playing this formula since the early 90's.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gizmo
    Bullet_Jr said:
    "A good game always ages well."
    Except Resident Evil 1.
    Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Kajaah117

I still play Ocarina at least 4 or 5 times a year. It's aged like wine. The charm of that game can not be undone, even after 10+ years.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Black_Rose

It still is a fantastic game, I still have lots of fun playing it and the visuals and soundtrack still have a charm to them.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bullet_Jr
    Gizmo said:
    "Bullet_Jr said:
    "A good game always ages well."
    Except Resident Evil 1."
    What are you talking about, it's still a great  game. Besides, the original is obsolete after the remake.
    Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lashe

OoT is still alright yeah, but I can't continue to play through it again and again to this day. I think that may well be because I don't have an N64 any more to play it on, the only real access to the game I have is on the GameCube and that feeling of nostalgia just really doesn't translate across at all.

One game I do believe stands up even to today's standards is Suikoden II, simply put one of the most well-crafted JRPGs to date in my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played through it a couple months ago, and I was surprised how well it stood up.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I enjoyed twilight princess better from the more adult themed storyline ocarina was too kiddy now that i look back.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Fosssil
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "I enjoyed twilight princess better from the more adult themed storyline ocarina was too kiddy now that i look back."
    I disagree. I felt like the "dark" edge to TP felt forced and bland, whereas OoT's darker side was more subtle and believable. The Bottom of the Well and Shadow Temple from OoT both stand out in my mind as having captured the mature and dark atmosphere that TP tries (and, IMO, fails) to create.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Meowayne

Er, hold on a minute. If you played the game in it's time, how the heck would you be able to estimate whether it still "holds up today"? Your judgment is clouded by nostalgia.

How well has Ocarina of Time aged? I played a bit of it when I was young, but I never had a N64, thus never had the chance to play it more than an hour or so.

I was very delighted to have the chance to play it via the VC, and with wavebird control on top of that. p

Know what? The game has aged horribly. It's a chore to play. Not even visually - sure we're not used to such framerates anymore, but the game's art direction is still nice to look at - but in almost every other aspect. The controls are horrible - And how could they not be? Thinking of the state 3D adventures were at the time of it's release, OoT did many things right that have since become standard, but that doesn't change the fact that they're really, really bad for someone who plays it now. The saving system is frustrating, making the dungeons frustrating, and they're not even that great to begin with. The pacing is awful. The ocarina system would get negative marks for hindering slow gimmickyness today. I stopped about two thirds into the game and don't feel like coming back.

Ocarina of Time has aged about as well as Final Fantasy VII. If you played it then, you will most likely be able to go back. If you haven't, you cannot enjoy it even remotely as much as the folks at the time of it's release.

Ocarina of Time must have blown your minds in '97, and it's not hard to see why. But aged well? Still playable today when no nostalgia is involved? Sorry to rain on your parade, but no. Most certainly not.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By damswedon

with your nostalgia goggles on it would still be great. but from me its just an okay action adventure game.

daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By daz0608

Banjo Kazooie on the XBLA does

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Ocarina is still just as great as it was when I first played it. Most Nintendo games age beautifully!

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    Fosssil said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "I enjoyed twilight princess better from the more adult themed storyline ocarina was too kiddy now that i look back."
    I disagree. I felt like the "dark" edge to TP felt forced and bland, whereas OoT's darker side was more subtle and believable. The Bottom of the Well and Shadow Temple from OoT both stand out in my mind as having captured the mature and dark atmosphere that TP tries (and, IMO, fails) to create."
    I disagree.
    There was next to no dark atmopshere in ocarina of time let alone subtle since what your talking about are just areas of exploration where as im talking about in storyline and theme it self. as for that what you take of adult is dark and brooding thats not what i'm even talking about just because something is adult does not mean it needs be dark or brooding Adult can be happy and cheery as much as kiddy can be, Kiddy i mean in the fact that at no time in ocarina of time did i think i wasn't killing some made up weird monsters or some hogwartish looking bad guy i wasn't ever able to become engrossed in the gameplay or story of Ocarina of time where i was able to do this with twilight princess I had a much more emotional connection with twilight princesses storyline and characters then i ever had with ocarina of time.   Your confusing dark and adult and your confusing simple dark themed structures with actual atmosphere.

Even a happy cheery village can be given a spooky and dark atmosphere with the right words, music and events in it.
    I got emotionally involved with the storyline and the dynamic between midna and link. (and liked the fact for once it wasn't all about princess zelda)

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bullet_Jr
    SathingtonWaltz said:
    "Ocarina is still just as great as it was when I first played it. Most Nintendo games age beautifully!"
    I agree with this. Any way you cut it, OoT is a classic and always will be.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By mracoon

The gameplay is timeless but the graphics are a bit worse for wear.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Meowayne
    mracoon said:
    "The gameplay is timeless but the graphics are a bit worse for wear."
    It's the other way round.OoT's graphics fare very well today, compared to other late nineties games. Incredibly well. It's the gameplay that will impress not a single modern gamer.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Ocarina of Time <3
    KotOR <3
    My two timeless games.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

MattBodega said:
    "I think the fact that Ocarina of Time still holds up so well is problematic! It means that the Zelda formula has really gone NOWHERE since the release of the Progenitor.  If modern Zelda games can't obliterate this 10 year N64 game(which was, for a good portion of my life, the game I considered to be the greatest game of all time) than that formula needs serious changes.Not that I mean to shit on Ocarina of Time. There are still parts of that game that I STILL think are beautiful(some of the animation and graphical effects fill me with delight). And, of course it's damn fun. It should be. We've been playing this formula since the early 90's."

OoT isn't anywhere near the best game of all time, and the gameplay, story, and graphics were all surpassed by Wind Waker. Why change a formula that works? I'm more interested in varied and interesting experiences. I just want the gameplay to be fun.

OoT is a good game. Good games are always good; age has nothing to do with it unless you're the shallow Halo types (I'm looking at you, SDL). It's faults have always been there; I started to notice them around the third or fourth playthrough, which wasn't that long after its release. One fault: the game was not challenging at all, even for a nine-ten year old kid.
    Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Sushbag
    Meowayne said:
    "Er, hold on a minute. If you played the game in it's time, how the heck would you be able to estimate whether it still "holds up today"? Your judgment is clouded by nostalgia.

How well has Ocarina of Time aged? I played a bit of it when I was young, but I never had a N64, thus never had the chance to play it more than an hour or so.

I was very delighted to have the chance to play it via the VC, and with wavebird control on top of that. p

Know what? The game has aged horribly. It's a chore to play. Not even visually - sure we're not used to such framerates anymore, but the game's art direction is still nice to look at - but in almost every other aspect. The controls are horrible - And how could they not be? Thinking of the state 3D adventures were at the time of it's release, OoT did many things right that have since become standard, but that doesn't change the fact that they're really, really bad for someone who plays it now. The saving system is frustrating, making the dungeons frustrating, and they're not even that great to begin with. The pacing is awful. The ocarina system would get negative marks for hindering slow gimmickyness today. I stopped about two thirds into the game and don't feel like coming back.Ocarina of Time has aged about as well as Final Fantasy VII. If you played it then, you will most likely be able to go back. If you haven't, you cannot enjoy it even remotely as much as the folks at the time of it's release. Ocarina of Time must have blown your minds in '97, and it's not hard to see why. But aged well? Still playable today when no nostalgia is involved? Sorry to rain on your parade, but no. Most certainly not."
    You need to look at classic video games in context, and if you do that properly you can still enjoy them. The inference that people's opinions are clouded by nostalgia is accurate in some cases (like the Final Fantasy 7 faggots that ever thought that game was anything but a decent mid-nineties Japanese RPG) but not in others. In the case of Ocarina, one would have to be blinded by memories to assert that the game is 100% flawless or that certain things about it (besides graphics) wouldn't be done differently now, eleven years later, but you'd also have to be blinded by skepticism to argue that the game has "aged horribly" and that it has "awful" pacing or that you can't enjoy it if you weren't playing it then.

Think about what you're saying. Nintendo took a solid formula they'd nailed down in 1992, and simply transferred it to 3D and into a much more vivid, believable, vast world of adventure, and that is the crux of what makes the game great to this day. No other game has ever quite hit the same chord as Ocarina did when it comes to embarking on, and undergoing an epic quest to save the world... even if it looks ugly compared to modern games. The music, the atmosphere, the sense of growing power and knowledge, and the long build-up to the inevitable final showdown is fantastic in that game. Fantasy has never been done better. In fact, overall, Ocarina of Time could have justifiably been called the greatest console game ever made when it was released. Remember, and this is a fact not just nostalgia, that Nintendo was at the top of their game and the console world in the nineties. No one could touch the brilliance of their best SNES and especially N64 titles. And Ocarina was their last game that was truly amazing in my opinion. To this day they haven't topped that effort, and that is a big reason why so many gamers hold it in high esteem, perhaps more so than a newcomer to the game like yourself could understand. Again, look at the game in context to what was happening with video games. At that time, Nintendo was in no rush to jump into the market of children and old people and women with their flagship consoles, that was all kept on the Gameboy side. Back then, Nintendo had the most talented people in the console world working on the games, and Ocarina was their most crowning achievement.

It's like watching Citizen Kane and not understanding the time period it was released in. You'd probably get bored and find it a "chore" to watch. But if you know a thing or two about the process of how it was made, and can comprehend how amazing the technical achievement was and how far ahead of everything else it towered, you can properly enjoy it, you don't have to have seen it on release to derive pleasure from it.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
    Meowayne said:
    "mracoon said:
    "The gameplay is timeless but the graphics are a bit worse for wear."
    It's the other way round.OoT's graphics fare very well today, compared to other late nineties games. Incredibly well. It's the gameplay that will impress not a single modern gamer."
    It's funny that you don't think the gameplay would impress a single modern gamer.  Everyone on who is saying they either like it or love it obviously plays games today and knows the differences between games made on a N64 and the modern systems today.  So the fact that people are on here saying they love it ruins your argument.  My younger brother, who was two when it came out, started playing last year and loved it.  It took him a little while to get used to the graphics and the controller but he had a blast. 
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By get2sammyb

Ocarina Of Time may be dated technically but I can't see how newcomers could be disappointed with the playability. The game is, and always will be, a classic because it's yet another example of Nintendo's magical art, plot and level design.

Simply, the best game ever created.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    Sushbag said:
    "Meowayne said:
    "Er, hold on a minute. If you played the game in it's time, how the heck would you be able to estimate whether it still "holds up today"? Your judgment is clouded by nostalgia.

Know what? The game has aged horribly. It's a chore to play. Not even visually - sure we're not used to such framerates anymore, but the game's art direction is still nice to look at - but in almost every other aspect. The controls are horrible - And how could they not be? Thinking of the state 3D adventures were at the time of it's release, OoT did many things right that have since become standard, but that doesn't change the fact that they're really, really bad for someone who plays it now. The saving system is frustrating, making the dungeons frustrating, and they're not even that great to begin with. The pacing is awful. The ocarina system would get negative marks for hindering slow gimmickyness today. I stopped about two thirds into the game and don't feel like coming back.Ocarina of Time has aged about as well as Final Fantasy VII. If you played it then, you will most likely be able to go back. If you haven't, you cannot enjoy it even remotely as much as the folks at the time of it's release. Ocarina of Time must have blown your minds in '97, and it's not hard to see why. But aged well? Still playable today when no nostalgia is involved? Sorry to rain on your parade, but no. Most certainly not."
    You need to look at classic video games in context, and if you do that properly you can still enjoy them. The inference that people's opinions are clouded by nostalgia is accurate in some cases (like the Final Fantasy 7 faggots that ever thought that game was anything but a decent mid-nineties Japanese RPG) but not in others. In the case of Ocarina, one would have to be blinded by memories to assert that the game is 100% flawless or that certain things about it (besides graphics) wouldn't be done differently now, eleven years later, but you'd also have to be blinded by skepticism to argue that the game has "aged horribly" and that it has "awful" pacing or that you can't enjoy it if you weren't playing it then. Think about what you're saying. Nintendo took a solid formula they'd nailed down in 1992, and simply transferred it to 3D and into a much more vivid, believable, vast world of adventure, and that is the crux of what makes the game great to this day. No other game has ever quite hit the same chord as Ocarina did when it comes to embarking on, and undergoing an epic quest to save the world... even if it looks ugly compared to modern games. The music, the atmosphere, the sense of growing power and knowledge, and the long build-up to the inevitable final showdown is fantastic in that game. Fantasy has never been done better. In fact, overall, Ocarina of Time could have justifiably been called the greatest console game ever made when it was released. Remember, and this is a fact not just nostalgia, that Nintendo was at the top of their game and the console world in the nineties. No one could touch the brilliance of their best SNES and especially N64 titles. And Ocarina was their last game that was truly amazing in my opinion. To this day they haven't topped that effort, and that is a big reason why so many gamers hold it in high esteem, perhaps more so than a newcomer to the game like yourself could understand. Again, look at the game in context to what was happening with video games. At that time, Nintendo was in no rush to jump into the market of children and old people and women with their flagship consoles, that was all kept on the Gameboy side. Back then, Nintendo had the most talented people in the console world working on the games, and Ocarina was their most crowning achievement.It's like watching Citizen Kane and not understanding the time period it was released in. You'd probably get bored and find it a "chore" to watch. But if you know a thing or two about the process of how it was made, and can comprehend how amazing the technical achievement was and how far ahead of everything else it towered, you can properly enjoy it, you don't have to have seen it on release to derive pleasure from it."
    I really don't get the beef with FF7. I actually started replaying it recently and I still enjoy it a lot. : /
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The only JRPGs I've ever been able to get into was FF7 and FF9. They must have done something right.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hexpane

It's great game, one of the best Nintendo has ever made, certainly a top tier game in the "3 hit boss/pseudo RPG mechanics" action game genre.

However the same complaints I had back then stand out more now.  The game looks open, but it is not open.  It's almost completely linear.  Can't go up there til you move that rock, can't move that rock until you get the power up...

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Meowayne

Sushbar: I do enjoy playing classic games. A lot. I am playing through Chrono Trigger at the moment, and it's awesome. I regard the nineties as pinnacle of gaming goodness - The gaming world we are in today sucks so much compared to the Good Old Times™.

But I will not force myself to enjoy a game even if I really don't. If a game stands the test of time, and many of them do (think Tetris!), then alright. If a game doesn't, then it doesn't. I can still appreciate it's quality, mind you. As I said, I totally see where the "OoT is teh best game evar!"-fraction is coming from. I myself am part of the legendary Final-Fantasy-VII-fanboy horde. But there's a difference between seeing why a game was hailed in it's time, and still being able to enjoy it today.

Ocarina of Time was a masterpiece. Playing it today, I can still see why - But that doesn't mean I'm having fun.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    Bellum said:
    "The only JRPGs I've ever been able to get into was FF7 and FF9. They must have done something right. "
    This. I enjoyed FF7 and FF8. I fancy myself an average JRPG player, and I still find FF7 to be really good.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By JJOR64
    ZombiePie said:
    "I played Master Quest recently and enjoyed it. But I got to say every now and then I'll be in a room in a dungeon and not know what to do in order to progress. So I think the level design has aged the worst (but it's still good), and man having to check that one room two floors up, that you passed up earlier in order to find one more DAMNED silver key to get to the dungeon boss key is just enfuriating. Also regardless of time the WATER TEMPLE HAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE TERRIBLE!!!!"
    The Water Temple is terrible.  I didn't like it one bit.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By crunchUK

It's still better than twillight princess gameplay wise so...yeah

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Meowayne
    crunchUK said:
    "It's still better than twillight princess gameplay wise"
    Explain. Imagine gamer xy, playing both Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time for the first time starting tomorrow. You say gamer xy would prefer the gameplay of OoT over that of TP. Why?
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fosssil
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Fosssil said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    I disagree. I felt like the "dark" edge to TP felt forced and bland, whereas OoT's darker side was more subtle and believable. The Bottom of the Well and Shadow Temple from OoT both stand out in my mind as having captured the mature and dark atmosphere that TP tries (and, IMO, fails) to create."
    I disagree.There was next to no dark atmopshere in ocarina of time let alone subtle since what your talking about are just areas of exploration where as im talking about in storyline and theme it self. as for that what you take of adult is dark and brooding thats not what i'm even talking about just because something is adult does not mean it needs be dark or brooding Adult can be happy and cheery as much as kiddy can be, Kiddy i mean in the fact that at no time in ocarina of time did i think i wasn't killing some made up weird monsters or some hogwartish looking bad guy i wasn't ever able to become engrossed in the gameplay or story of Ocarina of time where i was able to do this with twilight princess I had a much more emotional connection with twilight princesses storyline and characters then i ever had with ocarina of time.   Your confusing dark and adult and your confusing simple dark themed structures with actual atmosphere.Even a happy cheery village can be given a spooky and dark atmosphere with the right words, music and events in it.I got emotionally involved with the storyline and the dynamic between midna and link. (and liked the fact for once it wasn't all about princess zelda)"
    "next to no dark atmopshere in ocarina of time let alone subtle since what your talking about are just areas of exploration"

There was plenty of dark atmosphere present in the game, it just happened to be most obviously present in those two dungeons that I mentioned earlier.

"im talking about in storyline and theme it self"

I fail to see how Ocarina of Time was lacking in mature themes or story elements. Ganondorf's betrayal of the Royal Family and his ascendancy to ruler of Hyrule, the pervasive rise of evil and the subsequent corruption of the entire land, the destruction of both Hyrule Castle Town and Kakariko Village, etc...

"your confusing simple dark themed structures with actual atmosphere"

Not really. The Shadow Temple had a dark atmosphere for more than just the theme of its structures -- the music, the ambient sound effects, the overall setting, and the aesthetic design of the enemies all contributed to a legitimately dark atmosphere.

"I got emotionally involved with the storyline and the dynamic between midna and link"

To each his own, but that particular element was one of the things that felt "forced" to me.

Just to clarify, I in no way mean to imply that I didn't enjoy Twilight Princess, because I actually found it to be a great game; however, in terms of emotional impact, Ocarina of Time is superior in my eyes. I can certainly see how one would prefer the story of TP over OoT, though, so I don't begrudge you at all for having that opinion.
    FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
    Fosssil said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Fosssil said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    I disagree.There was next to no dark atmopshere in ocarina of time let alone subtle since what your talking about are just areas of exploration where as im talking about in storyline and theme it self. as for that what you take of adult is dark and brooding thats not what i'm even talking about just because something is adult does not mean it needs be dark or brooding Adult can be happy and cheery as much as kiddy can be, Kiddy i mean in the fact that at no time in ocarina of time did i think i wasn't killing some made up weird monsters or some hogwartish looking bad guy i wasn't ever able to become engrossed in the gameplay or story of Ocarina of time where i was able to do this with twilight princess I had a much more emotional connection with twilight princesses storyline and characters then i ever had with ocarina of time.   Your confusing dark and adult and your confusing simple dark themed structures with actual atmosphere.Even a happy cheery village can be given a spooky and dark atmosphere with the right words, music and events in it.I got emotionally involved with the storyline and the dynamic between midna and link. (and liked the fact for once it wasn't all about princess zelda)"
    "next to no dark atmopshere in ocarina of time let alone subtle since what your talking about are just areas of exploration"

There was plenty of dark atmosphere present in the game, it just happened to be most obviously present in those two dungeons that I mentioned earlier.

"im talking about in storyline and theme it self"

I fail to see how Ocarina of Time was lacking in mature themes or story elements. Ganondorf's betrayal of the Royal Family and his ascendancy to ruler of Hyrule, the pervasive rise of evil and the subsequent corruption of the entire land, the destruction of both Hyrule Castle Town and Kakariko Village, etc...

"your confusing simple dark themed structures with actual atmosphere"

Not really. The Shadow Temple had a dark atmosphere for more than just the theme of its structures -- the music, the ambient sound effects, the overall setting, and the aesthetic design of the enemies all contributed to a legitimately dark atmosphere.

"I got emotionally involved with the storyline and the dynamic between midna and link"To each his own, but that particular element was one of the things that felt "forced" to me. Just to clarify, I in no way mean to imply that I didn't enjoy Twilight Princess, because I actually found it to be a great game; however, in terms of emotional impact, Ocarina of Time is superior in my eyes. I can certainly see how one would prefer the story of TP over OoT, though, so I don't begrudge you at all for having that opinion."

Yeah, I thought the story and the atmoshpere were far better in OoT.
    Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lieutenant

It's probably aged the best out of all the games I've played from that generation. It plays fantastically, looks pretty decent and somehow still a lot fun. Although I can't stand the N64's controller now after playing with controllers that are actually made to fit in my hands.

I may be saying this only because every Zelda to come onto consoles has been the exact same formula and we haven't seen any true innovation to come to the franchise to show OoT's true age.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hexpane

ROFL@ the XBOT calling OOT kiddy

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By suneku

It definitely holds up well compared to other games that were released around that time.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I was playing it maybe a year and a half ago and found that it still was completely remarkable. Also kind of funny that at the time, it had some of the most breath-taking graphics any of us had ever seen. I recall the cathdral or whatever in Hyrule town looking particularly stunning back then. Today it looks pretty freaking ugly.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PureRok

This is what I think of Ocarina of Time:

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hexpane

Wind Waker better than the OG Zelda?  NO FUCKING WAI boss.

The correct ranking is

LttP = Best
    OOT = 2nd
    OG Zelda = 3rd

pick em for the rest

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lashe
    Hexpane said:
    "ROFL@ the XBOT calling OOT kiddy"
    Xbot? People still use that term? Jesus Christ, grow up.

OoT was released in 1998, I would have been 8 years old upon its release -- of course, I have played through it multiple times since years later. I did not fail to comprehend the game at this age, I didn't get confused or baffled by the story. On many levels, dude, OoT is very much 'kiddy.' Of course there are deeper levels to the game, much like a layered 'kids' film such as pretty much any of the Pixar films (Finding Nemo comes most to mind). However, the inclusion of adult-ish themes doesn't stop it being a child-friendly film and the same goes for Zelda. It is very much a 'kiddy' title when compared to something like GTA4, for example which is not in any way layered to appeal to a wide range of audiences.
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Fosssil
    PureRok said:
    "This is what I think of Ocarina of Time:

"
    Majora's Mask only a 4? Blasphemy.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Systech
    MattBodega said:
    "I think the fact that Ocarina of Time still holds up so well is problematic! It means that the Zelda formula has really gone NOWHERE since the release of the Progenitor.  If modern Zelda games can't obliterate this 10 year N64 game(which was, for a good portion of my life, the game I considered to be the greatest game of all time) than that formula needs serious changes.Not that I mean to shit on Ocarina of Time. There are still parts of that game that I STILL think are beautiful(some of the animation and graphical effects fill me with delight). And, of course it's damn fun. It should be. We've been playing this formula since the early 90's."
    I agree in some parts, but what's the problem with it being fun? Honestly, if it's a good game, it's a good game. 
    FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
    PureRok said:
    "This is what I think of Ocarina of Time:

"
    Here's the problem I have with your graph:  Wind Waker is far better than a seven. Unless a seven means absolutely amazing and if it weren't for there being a little too much sailing is perfect.  Than a seven is fine.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#46  Edited By AgentJ
    Meowayne said:

I didn't have a chance to play it until I got master quest, and I thought it was, if not perfect, than at least fantastic. The controls have almost not changed at all, so if you think the controls on OOT are bad, than you must also think the controls for Majoras mask, windwaker, and the GC version of twilight princess are bad. Please explain your opinion on the pacing. The Ocarina system i can see being hit or miss, but it is certainly unique, and i sure enjoyed it. And have you never played a game that you just liked going into the endgame, then come out of the end being like "OMG WTF!"? That happened to me with Ocarina, that happened to me with Chrono trigger(which i finished two days ago), and that happened to me with Mass Effect. all three of these games were fun throughout, but they didnt really tug at me until I finished them. Chrono Trigger won't be on my favorites list, but I cannot deny the quality of the product.

Again, not much has changed in the Zelda series, yet Zelda games still get great scores, and not only people that played it when it first came out can enjoy it. LIke I said, I played it for the first time in 2004 and enjoyed it greatly. 
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#47  Edited By AgentJ
    Hexpane said:
    "Wind Waker better than the OG Zelda?  NO FUCKING WAI boss.The correct ranking isLttP = BestOOT = 2ndOG Zelda = 3rdpick em for the rest"
    1. LTTP
    2. OOT
    3. TIE -Windwaker/Twilight Princess
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By Ben_H

I have 3 different versions of Ocarina of Time.  It's still one of my favourites.  I prefer the N64 Zelda games to Wind Waker (Never played TP).  I just couldn't get into Wind Waker like I could Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask though I still beat the main game and a few side quests.  I never really have tried the original Zelda though I know my brother has it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.