Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 21, 1998

The first 3D Legend of Zelda game, Ocarina of Time was created for the Nintendo 64 in 1998 and introduced innovative mechanics such as Z-targeting as well as many of the series' other trademarks. It has frequently been ranked as the greatest game of all time by many publications.

I'm a virgin to this game.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dichemstys

I spent the entirety of my childhood completely ignoring Nintendo for some reason. I loved playing Super Smash Bros at a few friends' houses, but for the most part I didn't play Nintendo games. I played Zelda for the first time last year, starting with Wind Waker, and if you've read my thread on the Wind Waker forum, you know that while I did get frustrated and quit the game for a year, but I eventually enjoyed it a whole lot.

I finally finished it last week. Then I played the original and got through that.

So now I've come to Ocarina. Is this game really as good as everyone says?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Yes it is. And even better on the 3DS. 

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Huey2k2

@Apparatus_Unearth said:

I spent the entirety of my childhood completely ignoring Nintendo for some reason. I loved playing Super Smash Bros at a few friends' houses, but for the most part I didn't play Nintendo games. I played Zelda for the first time last year, starting with Wind Waker, and if you've read my thread on the Wind Waker forum, you know that while I did get frustrated and quit the game for a year, but I eventually enjoyed it a whole lot.

I finally finished it last week. Then I played the original and got through that.

Your enjoyment of it will depend slightly on your ability to deal with the slightly outdated controls.

That's not to say it controls poorly, but it was an N64 game, and that controller at the best of times was unwieldy. That said, the story is amazing, the atmosphere is great, and the dungeons are some of the best that have ever been in a Zelda game. IMO This is the second best Zelda game, second only to A Link to the Past.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Dagbiker

@Apparatus_Unearth: Of all the Zelda's, Wind Waker is not a horrible place to start, I did not play through the whole thing, so I don't know about the later levels. But It pretty much builds on OoT, although, perhaps it was just because OoT was one of my first Zelda games ( I actually played Links Awaking DX first ) but it felt like there wasn't a lot to do, mostly because you were stuck on these small islands.

I will warn you that Zelda OoT does a lot of things games no longer do. It makes you backtrack, it makes you puzzle solve by remembering things you are probably used to looking up in, in-game journals by now. There are no check points you must accomplish, something for your play session to matter, whether it be acquiring an item, getting a heart, or even opening a path. And almost every boss is a pattern based boss. Not to mention you probably know all the bullet points for the game by now, just through osmosis.

Personally I would not play it again...

Having said all that. I remember it being one of the most defining games of my childhood.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258
    Is this game really as good as everyone says?

For its time? Yes. If you can appreciate the period, then you can enjoy Ocarina of Time.

If you're expecting it to stand up to today's standards, though? Not especially. It has aged fairly well, admittedly, and is still enjoyable - but it's no longer revolutionary and that takes something away from what made it special in the first place.

So, essentially, enjoy it as a 1998 game and you'll get a whole lot more out of it than trying to enjoy it as a 2012 game.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dichemstys

I should probably say I'm playing it on Wii Virtual Console with a GameCube controller.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Well, to me it's still one of the greatest games ever made.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WarlordPayne

I know I'm in the minority but I didn't like Ocarina of Time at all, and if I were you I wouldn't bother playing it. I would recommend literally every other console Zelda game before I would tell you to play OoT.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#9  Edited By Slag

@Apparatus_Unearth said:

Yes and No. In the context of when it was released it was freaking amazing, but that era is a rough one to go back to.

And since you've played newer Zeldas I'm not sure it will hold as well for you. I don't know if I would ahve loved OoT if I played Wind Waker first. Probably not

I've alwasy played Zeldas when they were brand new, so I'm not really sure of what it would be like to go back and play them this far after release.

Some things that do hold up really well are the basic Hyrule geography and plot. Oot felt important in a way to the Zelda mythos, that I'm not sure Zelda ever captured before or since.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SexyToad

You should, it's a great game. Give the beggining a chance. It's a bit slow and boring but it gets better after leaving the forest. Unlike Wind waker you don't have to be searching around for pieces.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Hunter5024

Go for it man! The level design is still unrivaled, the soundtrack is sweet, the graphics aged better than most early polygonal games, and because the gameplay is based more on logic than reflexes, it still holds up really well. Though the controls haven't aged spectacularly (better than most n64 games however), and the story is pretty typical.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dichemstys

I just got the second song, really liking it so far. Controls aren't too bad on a GC controller.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dagbiker

@WarlordPayne said:

I know I'm in the minority but I didn't like Ocarina of Time at all, and if I were you I wouldn't bother playing it. I would recommend literally every other console Zelda game before I would tell you to play OoT.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Wii box art (cropped)
    Wii box art (cropped)

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's overrated/overly hyped for nostalgic reasons. It was great for it's time, but it's pretty rough to play now.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#15  Edited By LordAndrew

@Dagbiker said:

it makes you puzzle solve by remembering things you are probably used to looking up in, in-game journals by now.

Besides "23 is number 1", what was there to remember?

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#16  Edited By pyromagnestir

If you insist on having sex with a video game I suppose you could do worse than OoT.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dagbiker

@LordAndrew said:

@Dagbiker said:

it makes you puzzle solve by remembering things you are probably used to looking up in, in-game journals by now.

Besides "23 is number 1", what was there to remember?

I was mostly thinking of that quest line to get that huge sword. So where to go, and who to see. It is pretty good about this, but it does start to lose it in the grown up era. Like when, and where are you supposed to play that song in the graveyard, not the zelda song, the hookshot song. and also returning to that village to see the cutscene for the shadow temple. Had I not read a faq I would have never gone to that village again.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By RuthLoose

I highly recommend trying to get a copy of the Zelda Collector's Edition disc. It was a promotional Game Cube disc that has Zelda 1 and 2 for the NES along with OOT and Majora's Mask. Other than the framerate on Majora's occasionally hitching it works great. OOT runs fine btw.

Definitely give Majora's a go. That game has the most pronounced story of any Zelda game (I am only 3-4 hours into Skyward Sword so I could be wrong). The story actually play a central role into the game play and the systems at work far more than any other Zelda title. It's an oddity for sure, but the game holds up really well.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By RuthLoose

@pyromagnestir said:

If you insist on having sex with a video game I suppose you could do worse than OoT.

Kratos says: "YOU will not see the end of this game."

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Hizang

I played Ocarina of Time in about 2008, I didn't really enjoy it that much.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dichemstys

That little maze puzzle where you have to find the right way by listening to the music, that was pretty cool even though it was simple. And then getting to play that tune on your ocarina, that was pretty neat.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ThePaleKing

Just skip it and move on to Majora's Mask.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Brenderous

Yes it is, but it has aged. Still good, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.