Zelda: Ocarina of Time Remake Being Announced Soon?

• 87 results
#1 Posted by JJOR64 (18916 posts) -
http://www.gamefocus.ca/?nav=new&nid=4694

I found this link on N4G and thought it was very interesting.  Do we really need a remake of this game?  Is the time right?  I guess we will have to wait till April 5th to find out if it's true or not.
#2 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I can't say i'd be shocked if they made a DS version of the game, but I highly doubt that we are going to see a remake they way many fans would like to see one. It's probably better kept in the vault for now.

#3 Posted by MattyFTM (14352 posts) -

I really hope not. As much as I loved OoT, I want to see nintendo try something new with the zelda franchise.

#4 Posted by StarFoxA (5140 posts) -

Ocarina of Time is a game that really hasn't aged well. The graphics are outdated, the gameplay is now overdone. It would be a bad idea to remake it.

#5 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

I doubt they'll do it for DS or Wii. For DS the word port would be more appropriate, like they did for Mario 64, and for Wii, well, they better spend those resources for a new game. Every new Zelda is more like a remake of the core concept anyway. Also, this would contradict their numerous statements of how the next Zelda would be a new direction for the franchise. Unless of course they can juggle both projects at once, but that's unlikely also.

#6 Posted by Megalon (1392 posts) -

The game is great an all, but I really don't think it needs a remake. It's not like the Wii is a graphical powerhouse system or something, so I can't see the justification of remaking the game simply to implement a new control scheme. 

Having it on virtual console is exactly where it should be: cheap and still a blast to play.
#7 Posted by Drebin_893 (2903 posts) -

Oh wow, I think Ocarina of Time has aged brilliantly. I still wouldn't want to see this, though.

#8 Posted by Guardian (318 posts) -

Has Nintendo EVER remade anything before?

#9 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -
MattyFTM said:
"I really hope not. As much as I loved OoT, I want to see nintendo try something new with the zelda franchise. "

#10 Posted by Guardian (318 posts) -

Actually, OoT with Wind Waker graphics would be sweet.

#11 Posted by MattyFTM (14352 posts) -
Guardian said:
"Has Nintendo EVER remade anything before?"
They sort of remade the NES mario games to go into Super Mario All stars for the SNES. It was only a graphical upgrade though, I think.
#12 Posted by Steve_C (1750 posts) -

Imagine if it was new play control re-release. I wouldn't put it past ninty.

I'm still interested though, but they should really concentrate on something new. Twilight Princess felt quite fan service-y to me, and this sounds even more so.

#13 Posted by Guardian (318 posts) -
Steve_C said:
"Imagine if it was new play control re-release. I wouldn't put it past ninty.I'm still interested though, but they should really concentrate on something new. Twilight Princess felt quite fan service-y to me, and this sounds even more so."
I hated the waggle control for Twilight Princess, and overall a very disappointing game compared to Wind Waker. Ocarina is probably Nintendo's crowning achievement, and to re-make it would be a hell of a hard thing to do. 

And if they ever remake it, I want it in HD! 
#14 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

@ Above, TP was pretty sweet, especially for people who didn't play all the 3D zeldas and so didn't have too much of the same type of gameplay. Waggle was insignificant and as natural as pushing a button after a while, and the enhancements made on mini games like fishing were great.

@ Steve, I doubt they'd do that for any N64 game. They're putting them on VC instead.

@ Megalon, with Nintendo's expertise the graphics leap would certainly be immense, OoT doesn't compare even with the GC's TP.

#15 Posted by Snail (8584 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#16 Posted by Guardian (318 posts) -

Its probably an april fools joke. 

#17 Posted by JJOR64 (18916 posts) -

I just seen that Nintendo Everything ran an article about this as well.  I guess more people are getting on the band wagon.

Guardian said:

"Its probably an april fools joke. "
Who knows, maybe Game Focus started early this year.

#18 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Well they link to game focus as the source on that site so it's not like a confirmation or something.

#19 Posted by Fosssil (627 posts) -
TooWalrus said:
"I would really like a DS version of this."
Yeah, I think I would enjoy this game on the DS. I'd like the option to use touch controls or standard controls though, similar to Mario 64.
#20 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Ugh! Please...NO! =/

I bought the next iteration of Nintendo consoles so I could have, you know, the next iteration of Nintendo games. Grrrr! I WANT MEH STEAM PUNK LEGEND OF ZELDA RITE NAO!

#21 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -
MattyFTM said:
"I really hope not. As much as I loved OoT, I want to see nintendo try something new with the zelda franchise. "
Agreed. Really, I don't see any benefit in a remake besides a graphical enhancement, something that is not needed in my opinion. OoT is fine as it is, leave it alone I say!
#22 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

I wouldn't mind them taking their time making a good DS port. The Mario guys got their Maro 64 game out, and still made good next-gen game afterward.

#23 Posted by Shadow2K6 (381 posts) -
Guardian said:
Super Mario 64 DS

If they do it, it should be on DS otherwise it would be pointless.
#24 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
StarFoxA said:
"Ocarina of Time is a game that really hasn't aged well. The graphics are outdated, the gameplay is now overdone. It would be a bad idea to remake it."
I dont think that a remake is really a good idea, but aren't the two things you mention in your post the exact things that remakes usually fix? I mean, if they did a remake, they would most certainly update the graphics, and would probably add a few things to the game to liven it up. Again, not saying they should remake the game, but your post seems to say one thing when it means another.
#25 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
Shadow2K6 said:
"Guardian said:
Super Mario 64 DSIf they do it, it should be on DS otherwise it would be pointless."
More of a port than a remake really. Dunno how people can confuse the two, I see them say one and mean the other so often nowadays...
#26 Edited by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
Guardian said:
Pokémon Red & Blue, the games in Super Mario All-Stars, and a few other games that got Sattelaview remakes.
I don't think they've ever remade any of their 3D games. Except Super Mario 64 DS, but that was more of a port than a remake.
#27 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -

I wouldn't mind a port to the DS a la Chrono Trigger with a few touchscreen enhancements. I don't think a remake is necessary, as I don't find the graphics ugly enough to stop me booting up my original cartridge.

#28 Posted by Futbollar (48 posts) -

This would be epic if it were announced for the Wii.  But for DS?  not really

#29 Posted by Dalai (7005 posts) -

I'm not gonna get behind this since I'm pretty much anti-remake.  Just give me a new, original Zelda for the Wii.

#30 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

I call fake., I recall another Zelda related April Fools last year which was even more obvious.

#31 Posted by Dalai (7005 posts) -
Linkyshinks said:
"I call fake., I recall another Zelda related April Fools last year which was even more obvious."
The Zelda movie, right?  That was awful.

#32 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I actually wouldn't mind it. I haven't played the game in ages so putting it on the DS would be a reason for me to play it again. However, if they screw up the controls I will give up on Nintendo for the rest of my life. Messing with perfection is a dangerous task.

#33 Posted by Lieutenant (347 posts) -

I really don't see this happening... maybe a WW wiimake  bundled with MM and/or OoT (I can dream :(  ). I'd think they'd make a remake of it for the DS before anything else(ala Super Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing)

#34 Posted by Civraz (392 posts) -

@Dalai: I missed that last year. rofl

#35 Posted by mordecaix7 (657 posts) -

I'm calling it.  It's not gonna be a remake to OoT but a sequel:  Ocarina of TIme 2 - Electric Boogaloo.

#36 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

I don't really think they should. A new game would be way better - but I wouldn't count it out if they did - be it for DS or Wii. OoT is my favorite game, and having an excuse to play it again with enhancements is something I won't pass up.

#37 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
Lieutenant said:
"I really don't see this happening... maybe a WW wiimake  bundled with MM and/or OoT (I can dream :(  ). I'd think they'd make a remake of it for the DS before anything else(ala Super Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing)"

But why remakes?! WHY?! I-I...I just want a new game!
#38 Posted by gam3r3OOO (64 posts) -
Guardian said:
"Its probably an april fools joke. "
Good Call
#39 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

It wasn't that great of a game.  Give me an updated version of A Link To The Past and I'll care more.  =  /

For all you OoT fans, though, sounds like you've got some potentially great news.
#40 Edited by Snail (8584 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"It wasn't that great of a game.  Give me an updated version of A Link To The Past and I'll care more.  =  /

For all you OoT fans, though, sounds like you've got some potentially great news."
No we don't, this is blasphemy, THIS IS MADNESS.
(I hope this is some April Fool's joke.)
#41 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -
dcpc10 said:
"Binman88 said:
"I wouldn't mind a port to the DS a la Chrono Trigger with a few touchscreen enhancements. I don't think a remake is necessary, as I don't find the graphics ugly enough to stop me booting up my original cartridge."
Isn't that already on the DS? correct me if I'm wrong."
What, Chrono Trigger? Yes - I was suggesting a port of OoT to the DS with minor control improvements like Chrono Trigger.
#42 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -
I don't think a new version should be made till Nintendo have a console that can do HD graphics, to put it bluntly. A version on Wii would not provide an adequate step up over the original. If it is in the works, for Wii, it's nothing more than a show of desperation, and a lack of creativity needed for the Zelda franchise right now.

I'm confident it is being made, but I doubt it's for Wii, if it is I would expect yet another HD version down the line...It would be some severe milking of the game, given that, I call fake.
#43 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

As much as I liked OoT I don't think I would want to play throught it again.

#44 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11501 posts) -

This is obviously an april fools joke/unsubstantiated rumor. If it isn't I will be shocked.
Nintendo needs to move forward with the franchise, which is something that they haven't done for 10 years, and a remake of OOT would put them back into the quagmire just as they were getting out with phantom hourglass.

#45 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Graphics would certainly be a big step up if it was for Wii. It certainly made a big enough difference on the cube, and they can probably greatly touch it up if only more thanks to the added experience than just the improvement in specifications, though that would also help.

But I'm sure Nintendo have better things to do than remake this thing. A port on DS is probable enough though, in fact they should do it to more N64 games since Mario 64 was done so successfully. Why not?

So, yeah, this is either a lame April Fool's thing, a misunderstanding for a DS port, or a misunderstanding for a full-on sequel. Probably the first.

#46 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Ocarina Of Time will be fantastic to play again someday, but it just seems too soon for a remake. Maybe for the 20th anniversary. How does that sound?

#47 Posted by Teptom (2047 posts) -
AgentJ said:
"Ocarina Of Time will be fantastic to play again someday, but it just seems too soon for a remake. Maybe for the 20th anniversary. How does that sound?"
Good. 20 years seems like the perfect number for a remake of anything. It's not too soon or too late.
#48 Posted by Lieutenant (347 posts) -
Al3xand3r said:
"Graphics would certainly be a big step up if it was for Wii. It certainly made a big enough difference on the cube, and they can probably greatly touch it up if only more thanks to the added experience than just the improvement in specifications, though that would also help.
But I'm sure Nintendo have better things to do than remake this thing. A port on DS is probable enough though, in fact they should do it to more N64 games since Mario 64 was done so successfully. Why not?So, yeah, this is either a lame April Fool's thing, a misunderstanding for a DS port, or a misunderstanding for a full-on sequel. Probably the first."
Isn't the first pic the OoT mod for Halo PC?
#49 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Lol. I didn't even notice that since they were so lazy they used ripped OoT assets... Here:

#50 Posted by pause422 (6172 posts) -

I'm sure its just bullshit. The last thing that was said about the next big Zelda game(not one on a DS I'm guessing) was that Miyamoto wasn't satisfied with any recent Zelda's(mainly aimed towards TP) and he wanted to really make the next big zelda game absolutely mindblowing. I doubt it would just be a remake of OOT, which doesn't need to happen in the first place.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.