Fi is worse than Navi

#1 Edited by Fozimuth (170 posts) -

I'm not very far (beat the first trial), so no spoilers. This is just what I think so far.

First off, don't come into this assuming that Navi is the most annoying thing ever. I did not mind Navi so much. She says "Hey Listen" fairly often and it can get pretty goofy if you run past a point of interest too many times, but it's not that bad. She generally stopped talking so much after the first 3 temple. I'm not saying Navi isn't annoying, but good lord, here comes Fi.

I am not 5 years old, nor is this even close to my first video game. I do not need to be told what to do IMMEDIATELY after someone else just told me what to do. When a little robot tells me I need to find 3 devices, I do not need Fi to pop out and tell me that finding 3 devices will activate the machine. If I went up to the spot the dowsing pointed to, played the song, and a big circle appeared on the ground, I do NOT need to be told that this is what we were looking for. If I just got an item that lets me swim underwater, of course I'm going to look for a new path. This is information that could be given through the hints the player chooses to be given, NOT constantly stopping the game to inform me of. The vast majority of Fi's dialogue could take place without pausing the game, and just occur while Link is still moving. This is what Zelda needs. It needs to be intuitive. It does not need to pause the game and show you EXACTLY what happened every single time you step on a switch or shoot a switch or anything. Just direct your attention towards it. Maybe some people have seen Sequelitis, which goes into almost excessive detail as to why the highway intro stage of Mega Man X was so effective at teaching players without stopping them. Nintendo, however, sees fit to give the player absolutely no credit at all. The player is not allowed to figure out anything by themselves, because Fi will just outright tell them through unskippable dialogue. Imagine if every time you got an item in Super Metroid, the game paused, told you what the item does again, and explains that there is a high probability you will need to proceed to an area you have not previously accessed.

Maybe people agree with me anyway and I'm just trying too hard.

Tl;dr: Master, I calculate a 95% chance that you are thinking "No shit" every time I speak. Nintendo needs to give the player some credit, and stop breaking the flow of the game for redundant dialogue.

#2 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Nintendo makes games primarily focused at kids. It may be hard to believe, but kids need directions.

#3 Edited by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Ya that thing is really hand holdy. I appreciate that it gives you hints when you want them but it should stick to giving the hints when asked instead of blurting obvious shit at you. It's not really a huge problem anyways though.

#4 Edited by Fozimuth (170 posts) -

That's not an excuse. Did A Link to the Past do this? Did Majora's Mask? Not even The Minish Cap did it to this extent, although I would say Ezlo is much more charming and tolerable than Fi. You don't become good at video games because they constantly stop and tell you what to do. I'm absolutely baffled as to how people who figured out the puzzle on Isle of Songs could possibly need such basic help afterwards, but Nintendo seems to believe they exist. I refuse to believe Nintendo, the company that has been making some of the best games in the industry for 25 years, would cripple one of its biggest games ever for no reason other than it's "aimed at kids," which it is not. There's a difference between making a game for all audiences and making a game for kids. Skyward Sword is aimed at everyone, but that's not an excuse for having such utterly clunky presentation. You learn by doing, not because a blue fairy jumped out and explained what to do. Nobody beat King Bob-om because a Toad hopped out and explained that throwing him off the mountain doesn't damage him. They beat him because he jumps back and will try to damage you, and does not take any apparent damage from it.

#5 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

Am I the only one who thinks she sounds like a torrent from Portal and talks with a GlaDOS-like attitude?

#6 Posted by JeanLuc (3585 posts) -

I still think Midna is the best of the companion characters Link has had so far. She had a good personally and actually played a role in the story.

#7 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -

@ckeats said:

Am I the only one who thinks she sounds like a torrent from Portal and talks with a GlaDOS-like attitude?

In the Quick Look I was literally waiting for someone to say "her voice is backwards-GlaDOS".

#8 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

@wasteguru said:

I still think Midna is the best of the companion characters Link has had so far. She had a good personally and actually played a role in the story.

That's not saying much when her competition is Fi and Navi.

I agree with the OP, I'm finding Fi to be ridiculously annoying. I'm annoyed that if I'm on low health, her icon will flicker, and when I talk to her, all she says is, "You're low on health."

#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19346 posts) -

@Apathylad said:

@wasteguru said:

I remember Tatl being an okay partner.

#10 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

Nintendo makes games primarily focused at kids. It may be hard to believe, but kids need directions.

Kids cant read, but you see a lot of text in Zelda games, explain that Mr Zelda is the new Barny.

#11 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I thought Midna was by far the best Link companion , she was a character rather than an animated guide for once and her story was pretty good too, man Twilight Princess was so dark how the hell is people saying the same for Skyward Sword? (Haven´t play it yet) but It dosn't look from what I've seen of the game.

#12 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

@AngelN7: The ending is pretty dark, rest is not as much.

#13 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@Prodstep: Darker than Zant Snapping his neck to kill Ganon? that to me was the "oh shit 8 year old me could not handle that" ... also the cave thing with the evil Links was pretty creepy too.

#14 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

@AngelN7: It is more of a nihilistic kind of dark, but it is not as dark as TP, not even close.

#15 Posted by Fozimuth (170 posts) -

@AngelN7: Zant was being kept alive by Ganondorf's power, when Ganondorf died, Zant died too. Besides, he just moved his head a bit, wasn't particularly graphic. Wouldn't even know what was happening if not for the sound effect.

#16 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I'm not far and barely got her, but I did find it funny that the first time she chimed in to give me advice was to tell me the batteries in my controller were almost dead. Still, I can see her voice being very annoying down the road. It's already kind of lame.

#17 Posted by Dalai (7031 posts) -

I think Fi just likes to talk. Because she's a woman.

#18 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

@Dalai said:

...Yep

#19 Posted by MormonWarrior (2593 posts) -

@ckeats said:

I thought she was like GLaDOS in Animal Crossing or something. So no, you're not.

#20 Posted by MormonWarrior (2593 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

@Prodstep: Darker than Zant Snapping his neck to kill Ganon? that to me was the "oh ---- 8 year old me could not handle that" ... also the cave thing with the evil Links was pretty creepy too.

I honestly think every other 3D Zelda game is darker than Twilight Princess and that it was nothing more than marketing ploys that got it its Teen rating. I also could not follow that story for the life of me and it all seemed pretty tame and pointless. I'm looking forward to the story in Skyward Sword but man...watching my brother play a bit, yes Fi is super, super annoying.

#21 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

@Synthballs said:

@Dalai said:

...Yep

Navi is a girl as well.

#22 Posted by byterunner (307 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

@Synthballs said:

@Dalai said:

...Yep

Navi is a girl as well.

she still talked a lot.

#23 Edited by TheMasterDS (2066 posts) -

@MormonWarrior said:

@AngelN7 said:

@Prodstep: Darker than Zant Snapping his neck to kill Ganon? that to me was the "oh ---- 8 year old me could not handle that" ... also the cave thing with the evil Links was pretty creepy too.

I honestly think every other 3D Zelda game is darker than Twilight Princess and that it was nothing more than marketing ploys that got it its Teen rating. I also could not follow that story for the life of me and it all seemed pretty tame and pointless. I'm looking forward to the story in Skyward Sword but man...watching my brother play a bit, yes Fi is super, super annoying.

I totally agree. Twilight Princess may be dark in a few places, but it's a boring and sloppy dark. I'd think Majora's Mask sort of dark, which is just straight up crazy and weird, is much better.

#24 Posted by Fozimuth (170 posts) -

Majora's Mask was weird, just all the time. None of the other 3d Zeldas have come close to creating a world like it. Twilight Princess couldn't decide what it was doing. That they actually had that horrible Oocoo or whatever run past Link in the Temple of Time, that's supposed to be this secret, sacred place, that was just stupid. And then they tried to convince us that they're the "legendary sky people." Bad.

#25 Posted by kishinfoulux (2316 posts) -

No she's not. People exaggerate things so damn much.

#26 Posted by project343 (2827 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

Nintendo makes games for everyone. They should learn to give direction optionally, which to some degree, they do. If you're stuck, you can ask her. But honestly, she flat-out interrupts the wonderful experience of exploring the world. She is a detriment to the game. Also, her know-it-all attitude is a little annoying.

#27 Posted by Boboblaw (296 posts) -

Nope, thus far not found her annoying, just kinda random and out of nowhere.

#28 Posted by Seroth (720 posts) -

Fi sucks, yeah. She's boring, lacks a personality, and looks ridiculously stupid when she's "singing."

And just wait 'til your Wii Remote is low on batteries. She will hassle you about it non-stop. And when you're low on hearts? It's enough that you hear that stupid classic Zelda beeping, but Fi also feels the need to chime in, "Hey, you're low on hearts."

I also hate how analyzing an enemy takes forever since she insists on tell you how many you've killed every time. It's especially annoying when it's your first time you encounter the enemy. OF COURSE I'VE KILLED IT ZERO TIMES.

#29 Posted by Fozimuth (170 posts) -

Navi doesn't tell you if you're low on hearts every time, and there were no batteries on N64 controllers, so that gives another "point" to Fi. That pretty much settles it for me.

#30 Posted by PandaBear (1376 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Apathylad said:

@wasteguru said:

I remember Tatl being an okay partner.

I'd say right on both accounts ... Tatl and Midna were cool. Didn't hate Navi, but Fi is a waste of a character... Midna may be the best Zelda companion actually now I think about it....

#31 Posted by sgjackson (529 posts) -

I would just like to say that I did not read this thread but being almost done with the fifth dungeon I agree with the thread title as much as anyone can agree with a thread title.

#32 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

@JeanLuc said:

This! And she is.... cute.

#33 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (735 posts) -

Compared to Navi, I think Fi is much less annoying, if only because I didn't have to hear "Listen!" repeatedly throughout the game.

#34 Posted by Joel_P_Moore (1 posts) -

I completely agree with this topic. While Fi may not repeat two lines of audio throughout the entire game she makes the goddamn remote in your hand beep. Constantly. I know i'm out of the hearts! the television is telling me too!

I'm not entirely sure how Nintendo thought an overbearing parent / pocket calculator would make for an endearing companion.

She is a complete waste of a companion and has little to know character. her singing however, is hilarious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.