Floria Lake & Ancient Cistern - Video Overviews

#1 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

Nintendo have released two new overview videos showing new areas, characters, items and puzzles. I think the graphical effects, mainly the water, look excellent in both videos, but music sounds great too. I particularly like the abstract sounds in the second...

(Both videos are ripped from the Nintendo Channel)

Floria Lake

Ancient Cistern

#2 Posted by TheMasterDS (2066 posts) -

I want this game to be good, I really do. A lot of the things I hear with my ears sound good, and having just played the majority of Wind Waker I want to play some more, but whenever I see those videos I'm instantly turned off and I find more and more reasons to trust my suspicion that sword play is just as overemphasized as the Lightsaber is in the prequel trilogy. I mean not only does the sword play look very plodding, but even after they spend half a minute showing off the grappling hook when I was expecting them to show off how the grapple works in combat, maybe tying up the gaggle of foes with a simple flick of the wrist, Link just slashes at them half heatedly a few times with absolutely no passion or ingenuity. It's cases like that where they clearly demonstrate the game has no tactics beyond "Slash this way!" which worry me because if this is indeed a 100 hour game there is no way that'll hold up.

#3 Edited by Contro (2040 posts) -

@TheMasterDS said:

I want this game to be good, I really do. A lot of the things I hear with my ears sound good, and having just played the majority of Wind Waker I want to play some more, but whenever I see those videos I'm instantly turned off and I find more and more reasons to trust my suspicion that sword play is just as overemphasized as the Lightsaber is in the prequel trilogy. I mean not only does the sword play look very plodding, but even after they spend half a minute showing off the grappling hook when I was expecting them to show off how the grapple works in combat, maybe tying up the gaggle of foes with a simple flick of the wrist, Link just slashes at them half heatedly a few times with absolutely no passion or ingenuity. It's cases like that where they clearly demonstrate the game has no tactics beyond "Slash this way!" which worry me because if this is indeed a 100 hour game there is no way that'll hold up.

Keep in mind that all these videos are very basic tutorials which avoid lots of back-flipping and dodging. Having played it myself, I know there's a very satisfying snap to the combat, which as I say, these trailers do a bad job of conveying. Even when you're watching someone else play, the combat looks slightly off, but once your with the controller in your hand and you've had ample time with it, it's more satisfying than Strawberry on the shortcake in another game. Link feels very agile, unlike ever before, and the swordplay is used imaginatively very early on. I know deflecting attacks has never felt so good.

That whip will certainly be used heavily in combat. Notice how the boss had those rotating rings on it's arms, and sword attacks had no effect. The Cistern boss is early on in the game, which leads me to think the game is attempting to make you grow accustomed to it's use in combat for a good reason. Having to use it on a boss so early on would give you an intimate knowledge of it, despite any upgrades to it later on.

#4 Posted by TheMasterDS (2066 posts) -

@Contro: Hearing there's reason to ignore the gameplay footage makes me a lot more optimistic, though wouldn't the whip's use in the boss fight simply playing to the trope of "The item you got in the dungeon is the one you fight the boss with" which most Zelda Games adhere to? Though if you tell me item use in combat feels pretty good that's good enough for me honestly.

#5 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

@TheMasterDS said:

@Contro: Hearing there's reason to ignore the gameplay footage makes me a lot more optimistic, though wouldn't the whip's use in the boss fight simply playing to the trope of "The item you got in the dungeon is the one you fight the boss with" which most Zelda Games adhere to? Though if you tell me item use in combat feels pretty good that's good enough for me honestly.

Well they've actually gone on record to say that won't be the case with this game. This is interesting:

Awhile back, we heard Shigeru Miyamoto state that he can't see himself going back to the old button-based combat of previous Zelda titles now that he's played Skyward Sword. While Miyamoto is sold, some other dev team members are a bit cautious.
In a recent Iwata Asks, Ishida worries that some consumers may be put off by motion controls of Skyward Sword. This comes with the 'challenge' of learning a new control scheme that gamers aren't used to. Indeed, we do know that some players just aren't into motion controls. Let's hope that this game ends up being proof that motion controls can enhance a classic experience.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446786&page=106

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.