Gamespot Gives Zelda 7.5, Hilarity ensues

#1 Posted by Hef (1116 posts) -
#2 Posted by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -

#3 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -

Uh oh, sucks for McShae. The biggest issue from the sounds of it was the combat and how finiky and unresponsive the remote is. The game sounds repetitive. His review seems justified.

#4 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
#5 Posted by CaLe (3992 posts) -

Like I've said before, Zelda fans are rabid. It's quite unfortunate really.

#6 Edited by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -
#7 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

they take the score soooooo seriously on SW. it's pretty fun in a childish school playground kinda way. would love to go across and stir some shit but i was banned a few month ago for continually shit stirring in religious topics.

#8 Posted by Mikemcn (6989 posts) -

Exactly what a well produced, voice acting free, formulaic, RPG lite game should get. Other games have done what Zelda does every time it comes out, and done it better.

#9 Posted by Bocam (3761 posts) -

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EightPointEight

#10 Edited by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -
#11 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

How about people complain about the review after they've played it themselves?  At least then their ramblings might be justified.

#12 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -
#13 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

Fans who probably bought it and enjoyed should know better by not caring about a review meant for purchasing advice for the skeptical gamer. Oh wait.

#14 Posted by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -

Another great aspect of watching that video review is that when I went to the comments, I saw linkyshinks had commented there. 

So that was great.

#15 Posted by VincentVendetta (251 posts) -

Here's what he said: "If you like Zelda, you'll like this game. If you don't like Zelda or stop carring about Zelda, well... this is not gonna change anything."

#16 Posted by Hef (1116 posts) -

@ajamafalous: lol yeah I noticed that too. I wanted to say something, but man it's funny watching him grab comments that he agrees with and stroke his own ego.

#17 Posted by Evilsbane (4621 posts) -
#18 Posted by Animasta (14697 posts) -
#19 Posted by sanchopanza (247 posts) -

@CaLe said:

Not just Zelda fans,Nintendo fans in general. Despite the fact the company has not been at its peak, or relevant, for about 15 years. They make out every mario/zelda release like its the pinnacle of gaming...give me a fucking break.

#20 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

Considering the fact that on one of my more recent, unfortunate visits to Gamespot, I found people freaking out that Gamespot supposedly hates Nintendo because they gave Super Mario 3D Land an 8 or something, I'm sure the aftermath of this will be great.

#21 Posted by Froghourt (109 posts) -

@Bocam: That page reminds me of the potential that TVtropes has, that is so often wasted by the idiotic people contributing to the site.

#22 Posted by wh1terav3n (659 posts) -

I HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED THIS GAME BUT ITS NINTENDO, FIRE THIS DUDE. Read the review? No of course not! That score's ridiculous, there's no reason for it! I don't have to read it to know that this dude needs to be fired!

On a more serious note, at least Patrick will probably be forgotten for his 4/5...

#23 Posted by Mikemcn (6989 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

Another great aspect of watching that video review is that when I went to the comments, I saw linkyshinks had commented there. So that was great.

haha

#24 Posted by Jayzilla (2563 posts) -

people that say that GameSpot is biased against Nintendo haven't seen the review of Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2(or they forgot) and Jeff's review of Ocarina all those years ago. They give games they find fun good scores and games they don't 7.5's which, last time I checked was considered "Good" by GameSpot's own standards.

#25 Posted by Commisar123 (1793 posts) -

I don't even know what to think about this game anymore. I'm getting such mixed messages from everyone including myself. I guess I'm excited? Maybe, who knows?

#26 Posted by JasonR86 (9714 posts) -

WHAT!!! Ohhhh my GOD I'm so ANGRY!!!!! AAHHHHHHH

#27 Posted by RobertOrri (1132 posts) -

OMFG THEY SCORED IT LOWER THAN MARIO KART DOUBLE DASH

#28 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4536 posts) -
#29 Edited by BlinkyTM (1054 posts) -

I'm on the Gamefaqs Zelda board. They are freaking out lol :P

Let the trolling begin!

I can't comment on the video since I'm not level 3 yet.

#30 Posted by rbanke (191 posts) -

If you get angry about a games review score, you probably didn't want a review, you wanted a cheerleader.

#31 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2994 posts) -

he makes a good point the zelda games continue to just be for zelda fans. I don't think the franchise will catch on with the next generation the way it did when its systems were actually innovative.

#32 Edited by Hef (1116 posts) -

Look for the thread 7.5 is too high. Come join in the trolling. I was planning on playing skyrim on my day off, but this is way more fun right now.

This is on gamefaqs btw

EDIT: They have learned since the 8.8 debacle. I will be less obvious next time.

#33 Posted by BeachThunder (11986 posts) -

Does this mean GiantBomb is going to hire another writer soon?

#34 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
#35 Posted by adoggz (2069 posts) -

Is it 2006 again?

#36 Edited by BlinkyTM (1054 posts) -

They're kind of onto the trolling there. Probably because all the adults are posting now, little kids get home later.

#37 Posted by GTCknight (698 posts) -

@rbanke said:

If you get angry about a games review score, you probably didn't want a review, you wanted a cheerleader.

This, he nailed it.

#38 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

Honestly the one thing that bothers me about the review is how in the good and bad sections "bad control" is listed as one of the bad things. It really confuses me considering when I saw the review I was listening to the bombcast, specifically Patrick talking about how the combat was one of the most amazingly controlled things ever. The GS reviewer is entitled to his own opinion obviously but I think I trust Patrick a hell of a lot more than a guy I don't know from a site I don't visit.

#39 Posted by RobertOrri (1132 posts) -

I'd dock a whole 1 point just for the lefty discrimination.

#40 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

When I originally blogged about Fragile Dreams, I believe I gave it a 7.6, so trust me when I say that they'll regret it in time. (Not entirely sure if it'll be in time for GOTY, though. Sure would be hilarious, though.)

#41 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Seems like a weird review, he complains about the combat and controls when literally every other review has had nothing but glowing things to say about it, but it doesn't really matter to me how he rates the game I suppose. I commend that guys bravery though he is in for a rough week or so.

#42 Edited by Yummylee (21748 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

Another great aspect of watching that video review is that when I went to the comments, I saw linkyshinks had commented there. So that was great.

Linkyshinks is still on GB, too, y'know. He just now goes by the name of Contro after being banned; different name, same insane intoxication with Japanese gaming - with Nintendo in particular.

#43 Posted by CookieMonster (2417 posts) -

Haha. Theres too many good quotes in there.

#44 Posted by Christoffer (1827 posts) -

I love it when commenters pitch several different reviewers and reviews at eachother to prove their point. "Two reviews praised the controls! You must clearly be an idiot for not liking them!!"

Yup, the Internet... suffer it or get the hell out.

#45 Edited by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

@axlrose15 said:

@CaLe said:

Not just Zelda fans,Nintendo fans in general. Despite the fact the company has not been at its peak, or relevant, for about 15 years. They make out every mario/zelda release like its the pinnacle of gaming...give me a fucking break.

Yeah I don't know why they think they get a free pass from being innovative. You can only stretch an N64 game so far with pretty visuals. Eventually the gameplay just rings hollow.

#46 Posted by thornie_delete (436 posts) -

@XII_Sniper: Exactly. Nostalgia only goes so far and IMO that is the major allure of a Zelda game nowadays. I haven't bought a Zelda game since Ocarina, and I don't really feel any need to.

#47 Posted by Yummylee (21748 posts) -

Also I totally love how Gamespot UK actually acknowledge and rip the piss out of all the hilarious bile that has spewed forth thanks to that review <3

#48 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

This is why if a game has 92%+ on metacritic I get sceptical about the quality of the game. These days nothing is for everybody, etc. etc.

#49 Posted by Linkster7 (1028 posts) -

Hmm guess someone had to have a bad experience with the controls. I have actually played it and I had the control problem once, but it worked perfectly after I re calibrated it. I don't really care about the score or anything, but I find the controller complaints a little weird not having had them myself.

But then again half the fun with a new Zelda games these days is to see the emotion explosion that happens on the internet. Zelda games will never have anything close to a objective review just because it is Zelda. ( Yes all game reviews are kinda subjective, but you get my point.)

#50 Posted by Uncanny_Doom (6 posts) -

While the review and Gamespot as a whole seem questionable, it's ridiculous for people to depend on those reviews so much. It being lower or higher than what you want shouldn't be taken so personally. I think the problem these days is that gamers are too much for alignment and picking favorites and not enough for sheer quality. Everything has to be a battle, what someone likes always has to be the best, and people jump to Game of the Year conclusions constantly and even prematurely before the game releases. Skyward Sword looks like a great game that I will enjoy. I know this not because of reviews, but because I watched trailers and read articles, and played past Zelda games. I don't need somebody else's numbers to reassure me that it will be good, I will take the chance and buy it when I can and if I don't like it, the world will go on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.