Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

Gamespot Gives Zelda 7.5, Hilarity ensues

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#201  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Mikemcn said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

And are people really bothered by a lack of voice acting?

Yes, it's a fucked up holdout of ancient game design, Link doesn't even need to talk, just pull a Gordon Freeman and have the characters around him say something. You're out of your mind if you find reading line after line of text to be good storytelling.

Hmmm, while I don't find that no voice-acting = good storytelling, I also don't find no voice-acting = bad storytelling. I think both are fine.

I've had the game since friday (Europe) and the lack of voice acting hasn't even entered my mind. I genuinely do not care. BUT I read a lot of books, so that might have something to do with it. I think this might be one of those "opinion" things.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#202  Edited By mikemcn

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Mikemcn said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

And are people really bothered by a lack of voice acting?

Yes, it's a fucked up holdout of ancient game design, Link doesn't even need to talk, just pull a Gordon Freeman and have the characters around him say something. You're out of your mind if you find reading line after line of text to be good storytelling.

Hmmm, while I don't find that no voice-acting = good storytelling, I also don't find no voice-acting = bad storytelling. I think both are fine.

I've had the game since friday (Europe) and the lack of voice acting hasn't even entered my mind. I genuinely do not care. BUT I read a lot of books, so that might have something to do with it. I think this might be one of those "opinion" things.

I find the majority of videogame writing to be pretty bland, so I think in almost all cases it demands some vocalization to back it up. I read plenty of books too, but that's because I choose stories that are worth reading, I haven't seen a Zelda game where the story was anything more complex than a saturday morning cartoon.

Now if Bioware could get its hands on a Zelda game.... we might have something, I can read Mass Effect Codex pages for a long time.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#203  Edited By DG991

Some people say that this game deserves a low score because plenty of other lite RPG's have done the same thing already and better.

I disagree. I have never played an RPG with this style and feel. I've only put in a little bit of time with the game but I can already tell this is going to be one of my favorite zelda games.

Also, the gamespot review mentions how bad the motion controls are. I don't know what they are talking about, the controls seem to be perfect for me.

If I was a reviewer I would give it at least 9/10.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#204  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Scooper said:

No Caption Provided

I love your avatar, and the picture you posted. Mad respect points.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#205  Edited By LiquidPrince

@WinterSnowblind said:

How about people complain about the review after they've played it themselves? At least then their ramblings might be justified.

LOGIC!

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#206  Edited By Afroman269

After several hours of some Skyward Sword play I think the guy's complaint about unresponsive controls and being able to waggle to win are pure bullshit. The game controls just fine. Something feels out of wack? Recalibrate then motherfucker. Other than that I don't have any issue with the review. I think the score is lower than it should be but I'm way too satisfied with the funny reactions to not care a whole lot.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#207  Edited By Marz

i've put 20 hours in it so far, it's a good game, though there are some boring parts like backtracking through dungeons you've already cleared to do another part of the main quest.  But i think this should be the art style for future zelda games....  sort of a compromise between wind waker and twilight princess which I think looks fantastic.  Controls are ok, I still don't like motion controls but they are functional in this game, the only real problem i have with them is that my wrist starts to kill me after an hour or two.  It certainly seems to have a somewhat deeper story than previous zelda games, it's a bit more cinematic than i remember any previous zelda game being.  I guess i can understand where reviews are negative about the controls if they can't get used to them, they certainly aren't perfect.  Anyways, Zelda's Zelda duders, if you like Zelda, you'll probably like this one, it certainly isn't worse than twilight princess all said and done.  Those are just my thoughts on the game so far.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#208  Edited By oraknabo

Sure it's colossally dumb to complain before you have played and it's unreasonable for fans to automatically assume that no game in their favorite franchise should ever deserve a low score, but this attitude that there is no such thing as a bad review or a bad reviewer because it's all about opinions is equally dumb.

Opinions may not be facts but they can be misguided. Reviewers can be idiots. I haven't read the review and I don't particularly care about the score, but I have played a few hours of this game and can tell you that the controls are excellent and I HATE motion controls. (I'm a big fan of the Zelda series and I wish Twilight Princess had only come out on the GC. I think the only good thing about it being on the WII was that I enjoyed the fishing.)

I don't think all Zeldas by default deserve a perfect 10, but I do feel like most start out on a quality foundation that gives them a great advantage over many other mediocre games that usually score 7s. Skyward Sword is incredibly well made from top to bottom, it has excellent design and so far it does seem like the creators were genuinely trying to mix things up and do some new things. Critics that automatically slam a game like this for just being more of the same seem pretty biased to me.

Can you imagine a food critic saying that some authentic Italian restaurant has incredibly well crafted meals, but they can't really recommend eating there, because they would just rather eat Vietnamese--or that the food is dated because there are a lot of fusion restaurants out there these days.

Yes, Zeldas are made for Zelda fans and if you like these games you will probably like this one a lot, but does that automatically imply that no one else will like this game? I mean, if you've never played Zelda, what does it matter if it is more of the same? If you didn't like the ones that were actual masterpieces deserving perfect scores, why should Nintendo try to cater their next one to you? Maybe you just have bad taste in games. When is a Zelda game ever going to warrant a great score again for non-fanboys? The day all COD, Halo, Madden & Uncharted fans drop all their other games for it?

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#209  Edited By Simplexity

Just finished Skyward Sword, all I can say is I disagree with pretty much that entire review, this game is fucking amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.