Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

Get a Wii just for Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword? Could happen.

• 69 results
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By onarum

At this point I think you'd be better off just running an emulator for it, buying a console just for 1 game is kinda dumb if you ask me, buy the game if it makes you feel better, it will also make running a ISO in the emulator legal too.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#52  Edited By Zippedbinders

I got a Wii at launch based on the promise of motion gaming and Twilight Princess, I am totally fine with this decision. Buying Red Steel 1, however, that was a mistake. I'll say if you're willing to wait another year or so for some really great Wii games, the Wii U will be backwards compatible, its really up to you if you're willing to do that. But there are a load of great games that make the Wii worth having.

waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By waterbender19

Im still thinking of the advantage of buying the Wii other than Skyward Sword. With no mention of Gamecube backwards compatibility and me not so happy on just using AV cables on my Gamecube,  the Wii can then became my 480P cube. Though I do have a DOL-001 model of the Gamecube.. (Why are you so pricey component cable!!!!!!!!!)

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By SSbabel

With the Wii being so cheap, ill be doing the same.

waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By waterbender19

off topic: Just got both of the Oracle games! Man were they hard to find. Also Link's Awakening :D only one left thats on the gamecube is the Master Quest :) 

I might hold off on this one, as my friend might give his component cable for the gamecube to me. I hope he will :D

waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By waterbender19

I finally bought a wii!!! Sigh, got it 2nd hand from a friend. :) got it with two wii motes, just gonna have to wait for Skyward Sword :)

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57  Edited By Simplexity

@waterbender19: Have fun, have a serious case of Zelda shakes at the moment, just sitting here counting minutes and hours till the 18th. :(

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Samaritan

Buying a Wii JUST to play Skyward Sword probably isn't the best decision you could make. However, buying a Wii to play Skyward Sword and then having access to the remaining library of great games like the myriad of Super Mario games, Kirby's Epic Yarn, the No More Heroes games, Muramasa, et cetera and then taking advantage of that and tracking these games down, is a lot more reasonable. There aren't a ton, but the few great games the Wii has are just that, great.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By jetsetwillie

i sold my wii after finishing twilight princess knowing full well id have to buy another if they ever released another one. this time il look for the cheapest second hand one i can lay my hands on. hoping to pay no more than £50

waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By waterbender19

@Prodstep: Yeah, I'm enjoying Wii Sports right now. Glad my wii came with 2 controllers, though only one has the motion plus attachment. Got it all for 120 bucks :)

@Captain_Felafel: Yeah i do agree that buying a Wii just for one game may be too much, but this is a ZELDA game. Probably the BEST zelda game in the series so far IMO. And yes I wont just play Zelda Skyward Sword, there are tons of games for the Wii, I would like to play; Sonic Colors, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy and a lot more :)

@jetsetwillie: I'm sure you'll get a good package for reasonable price out there :)

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#61  Edited By spankingaddict

Your not that crazy . Zelda is the best franchise out there . Back in late 2006 , I was DYING to play TP(was planning to get it for the GC since the wii didnt look impressive to me). Then I found out that the wii version was coming out 3 weeks before the Gamecube version : ( So , I gave in and decided not to wait 3 weeks cause that would be pure torture ! When the wii launched I bought TP and couldn't find a wii anywhere ! I was so desperate to play frickin Twilight Princess that I would do anything , ANYTHING ! So I bought a Wii for $495 on ebay . Still don't regret it , somehow . Thats the power of Nintendo :D.

Anyways , It's nice to see another zelda freak . Games like these should be the best selling game out there . Man , imagine that ; )

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Samaritan

@waterbender19 said:

@Captain_Felafel: Yeah i do agree that buying a Wii just for one game may be too much, but this is a ZELDA game. Probably the BEST zelda game in the series so far IMO. And yes I wont just play Zelda Skyward Sword, there are tons of games for the Wii, I would like to play; Sonic Colors, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy and a lot more :)

How you can honestly say "IMO" about a game you've not yet played? Sure, reviews are pegging this to be one of the higher scoring Zelda games to be released in some time, but one cannot establish opinions based on reception and critical buzz, at least not opinions of any substantial tangibility.

waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By waterbender19

@Captain_Felafel: Because its my opinion :)

waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By waterbender19

Ugh, i've been to my local game stores here in my country, and i couldnt find the Skyward Sword Bundle in any of them.. I got the standard edition reserved till end of this week.. hope that a wii mote bundle arrives then. :(

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By jetsetwillie

in the UK you can get a used wii for about £50 and Zelda with the WM+ controller is £50 also. so its going to cost me £100 to play Zelda. but buy all accounts its worth it.

although nothing else interests me on the wii other that SMG but i finished both of those last year which is why i sold it.

i knew at the time id be buying another for zelda but i was strapped for cash at the time and needed money for drugs

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waterbender19:It's a shame you haven't got your hands on the Oracle games.

They were fantastic. I remember enjoying 'Time' more, but 'Seasons' may be the one that's universally loved.

Currently playing through SS. Started out slowly, and I became agitated quickly, then clicked a couple of hours in. Loving it so far, though I'm not sure where it stands in the Zelda hierarchy yet.

We'll see come the end.

Edit: It's funny that you mention never having clicked with Metroid. Both franchises share some fairly similar traits, and as a die-hard Zelda fan, I can also say that the Metroid franchise is one of my favourite. Recently purchases the Prime Trilogy, and I can't wait to dive back into those worlds. Now I just need a GBA emulator on my PC and my Metroid needs will be complete.

waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By waterbender19

@GetEveryone: I already have the Oracle games :) though just the game carts. I dunno with Metroid, its not that I don't like it but it just never clicked with me or maybe I just didnt invest quite as much time as I did with it than the Zelda games.. I really want to play Skyward Sword now, but the wii mote bundle just keeps nagging at me.. :(

@jetsetwillie: Really? Just the SMG games other than Zelda? I mean, when I bought my Wii had some games with it. I'm enjoying some of the games that came with it; Red Steel 2, Punch-Out!, the Wii Sports and Resort games. Currently looking for Okami and Mario Kart Wii, course used :)

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#68  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I've been wanting a Wii for a while now, especially because of the NMH games, but  SS is the one game that will finally push me to get one.

waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By waterbender19

I couldnt wait anymore, what with the local stores here not giving any concrete details as to when the Wii mote bundle of this game will arrive. So I went ahead and bought the standard edition of the game! :) ah yes.. the golden wii case. Shame that the game cd didnt get the gold treatment.

Now Im going to enjoy playing this game... (hopefully work wont get in the way.. :( )

waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By waterbender19

Ok, I just finished the game last week cause work got in the way. And well, Skyward Sword is still a compelling game on the Wii, I just cant see it being touted as the best Zelda game now that I finished it. It is true that the controls, although fiddly at times though minimal, was a breathe of fresh air from all the button oriented games I've played (which is the majority, unless you count Wii Sports and Resorts). The sword swinging made me remember all those day dreams back then of me going on an adventure, swinging my sword against bad guys and using my shield to protect people.

But enough of day dreams, on the game! The controls were great, the story was awesome! (great origins story for the Master Sword), but in terms of the scope in gameplay; not so much. Sure the fights were awesome due to the controls, but in terms of what I was expecting whenever I traversed thru an area or a temple; it just didn't cut it for me. I never got a head scratch on thinking on the puzzles, nor a face palm on the sheer obvious "Its right in front of me! Doh!" moments I had before when I was playing other Zelda games. And that was something I missed, other than the controls, the game did not surprise me! In every dungeon I knew what needed to be done or had an idea what needed to be done, and that was something I never experienced when playing other Zelda games.

Its that sheer puzzlement whenever you're in a dungeon that really captivated me with the franchise, and although I'm not tired of the familiar formula, not finding that feeling in the game just left me a bit boggled. Maybe I was wrong in expecting the game to reach high marks on everything, but I guess that was what I wanted to get from the game. Not from all the hype, but because its a new Zelda game.

Skyward Sword is still a great game though, but its such a shame that Nintendo never felt like doing something new (other than the controls!) with the franchise, gameplay wise. I mean maybe adding some side quests with variety or puzzles that are really really puzzling; i dunno. But for now, I'm just going to start playing Minish Cap again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.