Is Skyward the first Wii game you've bought this year?

• 68 results
#1 Posted by moelarrycurly (667 posts) -

I haven't bought one since Metroid: Other M last fall. I just picked up the Wii remote and nunchuk to play Zelda, and for a moment I asked myself, "Nintendo, what were you thinking?"

#2 Posted by ColinWright (741 posts) -

I haven't bought a Wii game since Brawl.

#3 Posted by IBurningStar (2145 posts) -

Until today the last Wii I had purchased was Kirby's Epic Yarn, and I got that for my sister last Christmas. Before that I bought Silent Hill: Shattered Memories on the day it came out. So I guess Zelda fulfills my one Wii game per year quota.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (12970 posts) -

No, I totally bought...

Well, my step-brothers bought Donkey Kong Country Returns and I played a little of that...

...that was last year, wasn't it.

#5 Posted by SpaceKangaroo (136 posts) -

Kirby: Epic Yarn & Xenoblade Chronicles this year for me, most of its use comes from playing GC games :p

#6 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I bought Kirby: Return to Dreamland

#7 Posted by captain_clayman (3299 posts) -

uhhh...did mario galaxy 2 come out this year?  oh wait, that was 2010.  yeah i guess it is.  at least that I bought.  my sister bought one of the just dance games this year i think but other than that, yeah pretty much the only wii game i'll be getting this year.

#8 Posted by buttle826 (117 posts) -

I bought Donkey Kong Country Returns, but I think that came out last year...

I own like 5 Wii games

#9 Posted by Sauson (560 posts) -

Yup. Also the first time since Kirby's Epic Yarn that I even bothered plugging in my Wii.

#10 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

I bought one Wii game this year. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters. I hurt my shoulder and quit playing it and bought the Xbox 360 version, both pretty great games. I won't get Zelda until the holidays and I'll get it with gift card money.

#11 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

Yes, although I've been meaning to go back and get Epic Yarn and Donkey Kong.

#12 Posted by DonutFever (3514 posts) -

YEP

#13 Posted by jacksmedulla (277 posts) -

I have finally decided to buy a Wii, so Skyward Sword will be my first Wii purchase ever.

#14 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I bought WarioWare for my sister and Donkey Kong Country Returns for myself earlier this year, but that's about it...
I guess.

#15 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I would buy it but I can't find any of my wiimotes.

That's how long it has been.

#16 Posted by AgentofChaos (1565 posts) -

@ColinWright said:

Yep... and I played Brawl maybe two or three times and now it just collects dust.

#17 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2901 posts) -

Donkey Kong was last year... I can't think of anything come to think of it.

#18 Posted by Hailinel (22695 posts) -

Nope.

#19 Posted by Bribo (583 posts) -

Epic Yarn was a 2011 release here in the UK, so that was the first. Then I got Xenoblade Chronicles which makes Skyward Sword my third Wii purchase this year. I had planned to finish SS then give the Wii a decent burial but The Last Story looks like it might be okay.

This must be what it's like to have an elderly relative on life support - one that twitches or shows a spike in brain activity just when you're about to pull the plug.

#20 Posted by BBQBram (2164 posts) -

Nah, I bought Okami earlier this fall. There's still a lot of games for Wii I keep putting of buying because the 360 keeps getting all the love. Oh well.

#21 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

I haven't bought a Wii game since No More Heroes 2. I was thinking about Skyward Sword but changing my current entertainment setup and having to buy a Motion Plus for one game isn't worth it for me.

#22 Posted by Irvandus (2643 posts) -

My first in two years.

#23 Posted by Nux (2207 posts) -

Yes.

#24 Posted by GlenTennis (3143 posts) -

Last game I bought was Donkey Kong, which was in March, but this will be the first full-price Wii game I'll have bought since 2009.

#25 Posted by amir90 (2134 posts) -

The first one I bought was twilight princess, I would have had it from launch, but it got sold out (wii).

When I bought a 360, and upgraded my machine, I didn't use that much. Except for certain releases :D

#26 Posted by project343 (2807 posts) -

SMG2 and Epic Yarn. Which ever was most recent.

#27 Posted by BUCK3TM4N (549 posts) -

ya but im asking for it for christmas, looking forward to it, and yes i wish nintendo would make their next console better

#28 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

*thinks...Galaxy 2 came out last year...*
Yes.

#29 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

No, in fact, Zelda will be my 20th Wii game this year. Mind you, most of those are games cheap from previous years. I don't buy a lot of games on release as I am happy to wait for a cheaper price and play what I still have.

#30 Posted by ApolloBob (570 posts) -

Epic Yarn, and then Fling Smash, which shouldn't count, because my Wiimote broke and I got it for the motion plus wiimote pack-in. But it has not been turned on in forever - about to go buy Zelda and also break in the component cables I recently bought.

#31 Posted by DJ_Lae (629 posts) -

Almost. I bought Kirby's Epic Yarn and Return to Dreamland when the latter launched, as there was a deal to get Epic Yarn for ten bucks. Hard to pass up, especially as an excuse to dust off and turn on my Wii in the first time in ages.

#32 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

It's almost the first game I've bought in two years.

#33 Edited by Afroman269 (7388 posts) -

It's the only new Wii game game I got this year. I bought Metroid Prime Trilogy used.

#34 Posted by rufo (59 posts) -

Yep. Hadn't turned it on in so long I had to run two updates off the disc…

#35 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

I could see this happening...if you only owned a Wii.

lololololol

#36 Edited by awadnin (275 posts) -
#37 Edited by BisonHero (5659 posts) -

Yeah, Skyward Sword is the first Wii game I'm going to buy in nearly 12 months.

And as someone who actually pays attention to the Wii releases and tries to play the games that look interesting (No More Heroes, Little King's Story, the Okami port, etc.), I feel confident in saying this has been the worst year for the Wii, at least in North America. Kirby's Epic Yarn, Metroid: Other M, and Donkey Kong Country Returns came out in late 2010 and since then, the only other game besides Skyward Sword and Wii Kirby that seems at all relevant was Wii Play Motion in the middle of this year, but as much as I wouldn't mind using the Wii Motion+ a bit more, I didn't feel it was worth it.

#38 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Wii Play Motion was mine, came out in like the summer?
I wrote a review, worth playing for that awesome ghost game, 3 stars.

#39 Posted by Pickingwings (181 posts) -

I can't even recall how long ago it was since I bought a Wii game. Think the last game I bought was the Super Mario All-Stars bundle last year. Still haven't touched it...

#40 Edited by Zippedbinders (980 posts) -

I bought Okami and Other M earlier this year, my sister bought the new Kirby. Even as a staunch fan of the Wii, its been a relatively dry year for it. That just happens when Nintendo has to focus on two new platforms though.

#41 Posted by Village_Guy (2403 posts) -

Uhm... uhh... well... they only game I ever bought for my Wii was Super Mario Galaxy 2...

And I barely played because I can't stand using that god-damn Wii-mote D:

#42 Posted by BruceLeeSoapdish (38 posts) -

New game, yes.

As far as older games are considered i've also picked up Red Steel 2 with WM+ (actually got this game for Zelda). It was like buying WM+ and getting a decent game for 5 bucks.

#43 Posted by Krummey (195 posts) -

I haven't turned my Wii on all year. Which doesn't necessarily mean I haven't bought any games for it, since I have a tendency to buy and never play games.

But, Epic Yarn was the last game I bought and that was for my son for Christmas last year.

#44 Posted by smokeyd123 (299 posts) -

I bought Monster Hunter Tri a couple of weeks ago.

It's alright.

But yeah, that and Skyward Sword (if I even get it this year) will be the only games i've bought for the Wii since... brawl.

#45 Posted by Dalai (6876 posts) -

No. Even with the weak lineup, I still managed to buy 4 retail games and a few downloadables.

#46 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -

Pretty much, although I've been sorta playing Skyward Sword the last week or-so.  
It's nice to now have a physical copy. 

...AND THAT'S THE Wii FOLKS!  
(*Goes back mopping up quests in XenoBlade*)

#47 Posted by pyromagnestir (3943 posts) -

I bought Epic Yarn earlier this year so I could play that with my niece and nephew. And I might've bought No More Heroes 2 for like 15 bucks at some point this year. Although that might've been last year. I can't remember. Either way I haven't touched it yet.

But I do get consistent use from the Wii. Earlier this year my nephew and I played through Zack and Wiki, New Super Mario Bros., Super Paper Mario, as well as the aforementioned Epic Yarn, as I would have to watch him after he got out of school because I was the only one who could. Also during a 2 week vacation my family enjoyed playing Wii Sports Resort on downtime at night or when the weather was shitty. On my own time I've replayed large amounts of Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, and lately I'd been playing the gamecube Fire Emblem Path of Radiance on my Wii, and I finally got around to playing Metroid Prime 3 this summer. And I guess Wii sports and Wii sports resort have become the games I play when I'm not "playing a game" so I have played them off and on since I got a Wii. All told, I've been rather satisfied with the console.

#48 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

Yep. I would of bought Xenoblade but you know.

#49 Posted by Bocam (3538 posts) -

The last game I bought for the Wii was The Last Story.

#50 Posted by Skyfire543 (581 posts) -

@ColinWright said:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.