Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

Is there voice acting in this game?

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By kingzetta

Yes yes, I know Link will never talk, but how about everyone else?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I would be amazed if there is.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kingzetta
    @ImmortalSaiyan said:

it's 2011 yes you can still have a silent protagonist, but a purely silent game is almost unacceptable.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude
    @kingzetta said:
    @ImmortalSaiyan said:

it's 2011 yes you can still have a silent protagonist, but a purely silent game is almost unacceptable.
    I think there's jibberish but no true voice acting. But that's the way I like my Zelda's. If the makers don't believe it's needed, and the game is fun, who cares.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Afroman269

No. There are some voices in it but it's still text based. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the last Zelda game to be like that. Some people are still too fucking scared to think of a voiced Zelda game but it can be done well. I doubt Nintendo would fuck up something like that.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@kingzetta said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

It's Nintendo we're talking about here. They can get away with things like no voice work. Not saying that is a good thing, just the way it is.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kingzetta
    @Afroman269: Claudia Black as Zelda, done sold.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Contro

Cannot say for spoiler reasons.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By danielkempster

Voice acting does not a great game make. In some cases it can actually detract from the experience. I personally get the impression that Zelda games are one of those cases.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By korwin
    No Caption Provided
    tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tsiro

@dankempster said:

In some cases it can actually detract from the experience. I personally get the impression that Zelda games are one of those cases.

Can you elaborate on that? I will grant you that bad voice acting would detract from the "Zelda experience", but bad voice acting would detract from nearly any experience. I don't see anything in particular to the Zelda franchise that would be lessened by the inclusion of voice acting.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kingzetta
    @dankempster said:

Voice acting does not a great game make. In some cases it can actually detract from the experience. I personally get the impression that Zelda games are one of those cases.

I can't see anyway that it would make it worse. Only if they got really horrible voice actors, which I don't think they would do.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Probably not.

and I'm ok with what.

The_Big_Rough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By The_Big_Rough

funny now that i think about it, i would find it really fucking weird if anyone in a zelda game started talking.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kingzetta
    @Mystic_11: you hear them talk in your mind when you read.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Contro

I will forever prefer my Imagination over traditional voice work in the Zelda series. Nintendo have good reasons for not implementing it, and those reasons relate to why they don't release the time-line also. The Zelda series continues to thrive because of players imagination and emotional intelligence, it's become core to the Zelda franchise, Nintendo will never sever this link or put in place features which lessen this connection.

edit:

What we get instead something far more potent in my eyes, and longer lasting. I can still vividly remember subtle animations that worked wonderfully in tandem with the dialogue sections in Wind Waker. The emotional power Nintendo are able to convey in cut-scenes which lack traditional voice work, is exemplary.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By danielkempster

@tsiro: @kingzetta: To continue with the Zelda example, I think a big part of the charm and aesthetic of those games is the total lack of voice acting. For me personally, the absence of spoken word in games like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess acts as a means of detaching that world from our own. Because the characters never audibly speak, it amplifies that sense of detachment and makes Hyrule really feel like it's part of a completely different universe. If the characters were to start articulating in English it would kill that sense of detachment. I'm really not articulating this idea very well, but it's almost 6am here, so hopefully you'll at least forgive my incoherence if you can't understand it.

EDIT - See Contro's post for a much better articulated version of what I was trying to say above.

There's also the fact that voice acting distracts the brain from processing other aural cues. Some games (I'm thinking specifically Final Fantasies VII and IX here, but I guess the Zelda games fall under this category too) use music as an important framing device for the narrative. Characters and events have leitmotifs which recur and often weave in and out of each other over the course of the game, like an extended piece of classical music I suppose. If you were to layer voice acting over the top of Final Fantasy VII, that would dull a lot of the music's impact on the flow of the narrative.

I guess what I'm getting at is that a handful of games are designed to tell stories and evoke moods in ways that don't involve actors reading from a script, and those are the games whose narrative impact could be hurt by voice acting.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kingzetta

All these reasons people are giving for how voice acting would ruin the game. Remind me why I've never liked zelda games.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bribo

What's your problem? Can't you read?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Nope. Because its a zelda game. But honesty, if everyone around link started talking that wouldn't that be more than a little jarring at this point in time? I dunno. In some way... even though I agree that the use of text and soundbites only is antiquated, I don't think I want the alternative either.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EchoEcho

@kingzetta said:

@dankempster said:

I can't see anyway that it would make it worse. Only if they got really horrible voice actors, which I don't think they would do.

They allowed Team Ninja to implement voice work in Metroid: Other M, and we see how well that ended up. So I wouldn't say Nintendo wouldn't allow shitty voice acting into a game. I'd rather err on the side of caution and just do without.

Really, Zelda is probably the one dialog-heavy game franchise that I will never mind being devoid of voice acting. It's just part of the atmosphere that the games present, and I have no problem using my imagination to fill in that particular blank.

Metroid is a similar case, but for different reasons -- the lack of voice helps drive home the feeling of isolation. I wouldn't mind Samus having a voice actress, as long as they could get someone that can actually do justice to the role (Jennifer Hale, maybe?) and pretend the actress in Other M never happened. But I don't want constant inner monologuing. If she's going to talk, it should be due to one of the rare instances where she actually needs to interact with someone.

tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tsiro

@dankempster said:

For me personally, the absence of spoken word in games like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess acts as a means of detaching that world from our own. Because the characters never audibly speak, it amplifies that sense of detachment and makes Hyrule really feel like it's part of a completely different universe. If the characters were to start articulating in English it would kill that sense of detachment.

Ah, this makes sense. I'm still not convinced that it would detract as much as people claim (or as much as people would claim if there were to be voice acting), but I can understand the argument.

On a tangentially related note, I sometimes wish that Shadow of the Colossus had no dialogue and no text. A game with no explanation except for contextual clues, but one that still maintains an interesting story. I wish someone would make a game like that.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FateOfNever

@kingzetta said:

All these reasons people are giving for how voice acting would ruin the game. Remind me why I've never liked zelda games.

So, wait, you've never liked the Zelda games, but for some reason it's really super important to you that the next game in a series that you don't like have voice acting? Why? If you don't care about a series I don't see why you should really care.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Milkman

I can understand not letting Link talk but releasing a next generation console game in 2011 with no voice acting is fucking insane.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By probablytuna

Yes it does. It has the purest and most basic form of voice actor possible. And I'm fine with that.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shiftymagician

@Milkman said:

I can understand not letting Link talk but releasing a next generation console game in 2011 with no voice acting is fucking insane.

Next generation puzzle games are so fucked then! (I kid, I kid)

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By danielkempster

@tsiro said:

A game with no explanation except for contextual clues, but one that still maintains an interesting story. I wish someone would make a game like that.

Are you aware of Journey? It's a game currently in development for PSN, by the guys who made Flower. It's a multiplayer game that's designed to supposedly encourage cooperation without the aid of voice or text chat. I realise it's not exactly what you're looking for, and from what I've read the story is barely existent, let alone interesting, but it does seem like at least a step in the direction of what you're aspiring to here.

I also agree that'd be a great concept for a game, and I think the potential is definitely there to make it happen. I hope that as the industry continues to grow and evolve, we'll start to see people pushing those possibilities more often.

EtherealSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By EtherealSlayer

@kingzetta said:

@Afroman269: Claudia Black as Zelda, done sold.

Yes.

tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tsiro

@dankempster: Yeah, I'm super excited for Journey. Really, in my mind, I guess it isn't important that it still tell an interesting story without the use of text/voice (though I still think that'd be a pretty cool thing to pull off), but about being able to communicate any sense of motivation, direction, and interaction with such a restricted palette from which to do so.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Simplexity

Dunno, never really bothered me as much as it does other people, I don't mind reading text. I guess I am used to it anyway as I am not a native English speaker.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By Marzy

Wow, there's actually people who don't enjoy a Zelda game just because it doesn't have voice acting? I'm shocked...

I'm glad they've stayed away from proper voice acting though. I could never see it working, it'd just ruin the experience for me and make it too film-like and serious. Having no speaking voice and conveying character communication through animation and imagination is something far more impressive and adds a lot more charm, in my opinion. It reminds me of classic Disney cartoons, like Oswald.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BisonHero

@kingzetta said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

There are tons of text-heavy Japanese-developed games with little to no voice acting. Yeah, Nintendo has the cash to pay voice actors, so they're just doing it out of tradition at this point, whereas other developers might not have the budget for voice acting, but Skyward Sword is hardly the only game this year to not be fully voiced.

But I imagine the purpose of this topic you've created is to be flamebait and draw out the crazy people who insist that voice acting would ruin the game. I just doubt you're seriously asking this, because you could go and watch any trailer to answer your question, or read the wiki page for the game.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Julmust

I don't want voice acting, that would be weird.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vexxan

No Zelda game needs voice acting. 

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kingzetta
    @FateOfNever said:

@kingzetta said:

So, wait, you've never liked the Zelda games, but for some reason it's really super important to you that the next game in a series that you don't like have voice acting? Why? If you don't care about a series I don't see why you should really care.

well they made this one more RPG-ish and that sounds good, 
    maybe I'd like this one.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By xyzygy

A Zelda game should NOT have voice acting. Making the game text based almost seems like the text is a translation of a foreign language (the Hyrulian language) and I like that. I don't want all the same voice actors we know to put their voices to characters we loved since before they even were in the business.

Could you picture it?

- Jennifer Hale as Zelda

- Fred Tatasciore as Ganon

- Nolan North as Link

Kill me now if Zelda ever gets voice actors. Voice actors are overused this day and age.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kingzetta
    @xyzygy: who's Fred Tatasciore
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By xyzygy

@kingzetta: He's actually a really popular voice actor. He does Vamp from MGS, that's my favorite anyway. He is known for being very versatile and doing strange things with his voice.

Look him up and all his credentials, you'll go "ohh no way!"

Upon just finding out that he did Saren from ME1, now Saren is my favorite of his.

EDIT: Apparently he didn't do Vamp. I can't remember that guy's name...

EDIT2: Phil LaMarr.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kingzetta
    @xyzygy said:

@kingzetta: He's actually a really popular voice actor. He does Vamp from MGS, that's my favorite anyway. He is known for being very versatile and doing strange things with his voice.

Look him up and all his credentials, you'll go "ohh no way!"

You know how should get more work. The guy the guy played Kain, in the legacy of kain.
    randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By randyf

Just because Zelda has never had voice acting, doesn't mean it shouldn't. They've been trying to pull off the cinematic style since Ocarina, and while it was okay back then, having to read those backstory flashbacks about the Tri-force is getting old. Link doesn't need to talk, but everybody else has written dialogue, so why can't they have voice actors? If done properly, I don't think it would detract at all. I'm sure a lot of people would be a lot more hostile to a game without voice acting if it wasn't Zelda.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By xyzygy

@RandyF said:

Just because Zelda has never had voice acting, doesn't mean it shouldn't. They've been trying to pull off the cinematic style since Ocarina, and while it was okay back then, having to read those backstory flashbacks about the Tri-force is getting old. Link doesn't need to talk, but everybody else has written dialogue, so why can't they have voice actors? If done properly, I don't think it would detract at all. I'm sure a lot of people would be a lot more hostile to a game without voice acting if it wasn't Zelda.

Most important part underlined. The thing is, if it was done it probably won't be done properly. The voice actors simply won't be able to capture the same magic that Nintendo manages to create from their jibberish noises and the little text art and cues that give each character's dialog personality.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.