Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

Is this game being forgotten?

• 79 results
    Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Simplexity

It seems to me that the general gaming public is pretty much ignoring this game even though its probably coming out this year, and I remember a time when a new Zelda game was approaching that it was a landmark event. Has this franchise really fallen this far that the sequel to Batman is more anticipated than what probably is, (or used to be anyway) the pinnacle of modern video games.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Rockanomics

I'm sorry what game? :P 

But yes, the games have just become so formulaic plus you've got Darksiders coming along and showing you that Zelda is not that special anymore. 

Plus I feel like a lot of people were left with a bad taste from Twilight Princess.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

There has been little info since E3. 

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By benpack

As a huge Nintendo fan it saddens me to say that this might be the first Zelda game I skip. I wanted something different, and from what they have shown it seems like more of the same.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dungbootle

I am looking forward to it, but there is not much to talk about compared to what TP had to offer in terms of previews/people getting excited about the art design.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Black_Rose

I think it's for the best. The hype is what hurt TP the most, i loved it and it surpassed my expectations but I can see why some people were disappointed. Hopefully this'll blow everyone away. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

Hopefully there will be more info on the game like launch date and such at E3 this year.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By me3639

*yawn* what?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Daveyo520

I have not forgot it, it is just not coming out for a while and there are other games that are out now. When it is closer to release more attention will be had, don't worry.  

I like the shader in the game, really like it.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Simplexity
    @Rockanomics:  I played Darksiders and found it a perfectly good game, but it's not Zelda, it's good in its own right. I want different things out of both games.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CL60
    @GlenTennis said:
    " As a huge Nintendo fan it saddens me to say that this might be the first Zelda game I skip. I wanted something different, and from what they have shown it seems like more of the same. "
    What you've seen is combat, only combat. They've already said they're changing up the formula. I don't understand those of you with the complaint of "It looks the same!" when we've seen literally nothing but the combat.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By onarum

The Wii is forgotten, but I guess this game will do alright.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By benpack
    @CL60 said:
    " @GlenTennis said:
    " As a huge Nintendo fan it saddens me to say that this might be the first Zelda game I skip. I wanted something different, and from what they have shown it seems like more of the same. "
    What you've seen is combat, only combat. They've already said they're changing up the formula. I don't understand those of you with the complaint of "It looks the same!" when we've seen literally nothing but the combat. "
    Thats why I said might. They talk a lot of mess about how different it's going to be, but they've showed none of it off.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Remember Wind Waker you guys? That sure was a good game.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By TheFreeMan

I've loved every Zelda I've ever played. I seem to have a high tolerance for franchises that get formulaic, but I'm not anywhere near burnt out on the recipe yet, since I really enjoyed Twilight Princess, so I'm still anticipating Skyward Sword.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By McGhee

Zelda is SO overrated. 

*ducks and covers head with arms*

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Simplexity
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac:  HOW DARE YOU!!! WHY I OUGHTA!!
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Dalai

Nintendo has a way of keeping the hype down until just weeks before release. I guess Skyward Sword will be a fall release so expect lots of information at E3 and even more about a month before release. 

So far all we know is that it uses MotionPlus, it looks like a Wind Waker/Twilight Princess hybrid artistically, and that it might change up the whole town/dungeon/town/dungeon formula. That's mostly it... and that flying beetle thing.

mr_faraday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By mr_faraday

Why would we be talking about it right now? We literally know next to nothing about what the game will be like other than the small glimpse we got at E3. Until we get more information there is nothing to talk about. Cant be hyped about something when there's nothing to be hyped about.

OneAndOnlyBigE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By OneAndOnlyBigE

I took a hard look at my Wii not too long ago and realized that it's time to let it go.  Skyward Sword was the only Wii game I was looking forward to playing on the platform this year.  So I'm currently selling it.  I just haven't seen anything that jumps out at me from what (admittedly little) we've seen.  I'm playing through Darksiders right now and it's showing me that there are grown up Zelda-like games that can scratch that itch for me.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kjellm87

And now that the let down guys are done I will just say:

We don't have alot of info

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EuanDewar

Batman Arkham Asylum is better then anything that the Zelda series has done for years. Skyward Sword looks like a kind of boring game with a Motion Plus gimmick, I know its harsh to dismiss the game that early on and that viciously but they have shown nothingof that game that looks even remotely interesting, innovative or charming.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FreakAche

All they've shown off is the combat, which didn't really grab my interest. 
    more realistic != more fun 

That being said, it's Nintendo working on one of their core franchises, so I kind of suspect it will turn out to be fine.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Prodstep said:
    ...what probably is, (or used to be anyway) the pinnacle of modern video games. "
    Perhaps this has something to do with the state of affairs?
    Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

Wait.. is this a Wii game? Well there's you're problem right there.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Enigma777

Yes

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mutha3

Its hard to to talk about it when we know next to nothing about it. When they start releasing actual info, I'll be excited.

@EuanDewar said:

"
    Batman Arkham Asylum is better then anything that the Zelda series has done for years. Skyward Sword looks like a kind of boring game with a Motion Plus gimmick, I know its harsh to dismiss the game that early on and that viciously but they have shown nothingof that game that looks even remotely interesting, innovative or charming. "

They have pretty much shown nothing.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They better pump out some hype then, it's been quiet since E3 and that's Nintendo's fault.

I hope they canned it, and announce a new super hd 3d space faring console with laser controllers and remake it on that.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kjellm87

To sum it up, we only have a small demo so far, wait for E3 or whenever they will reveal more info, then we can talk

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gonmog

E3 will show it off. And I can't wait.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Scooper
    @OneAndOnlyBigE said:
    " I took a hard look at my Wii not too long ago and realized that it's time to let it go. "
    If your Wii remains hard for over 4 hours consult a doctor immediately. 

Anyways, yeah. I don't know if anyone's really excited with the next Zelda game at this point. The E3 demo was a shambles and it looked more like Twilight Princess 2 than anything new and interesting and considering TP was pretty forgettable I can see why SS has fallen off most people's radar. Especially as there have been so many interesting games to play and get excited about the last half-year with even more great games to fill this year too.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By ch13696

Well, it's matter of Nintendo isn't bringing out much info on the game than they used to. Most likely Nintendo will do what they did before with Zelda. Release it on the Wii and their next gen console.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Honestly I'm kind of done with Nintendo games. The last Zelda I really enjoyed was Wind Waker, and even that didn't really compare to Ocarina of Time for me. It also doesn't help when games like Batman or Darksiders take some of the mechanics that made Zelda interesting and apply them to new worlds with new ideas. Especially after something like Darksiders (arguably the first "adult" Zelda game), it's hard for me to even suggest someone should go back to Hyrule, unless you're on a pretty serious nostalgia kick.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By benjaebe

I'm still looking forward to it. There just hasn't been much info since E3. When more stuff comes out hype will pick up.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Black_Rose said:
    " I think it's for the best. The hype is what hurt TP the most, i loved it and it surpassed my expectations but I can see why some people were disappointed. Hopefully this'll blow everyone away.  "
    After it's peak at Majora's Mask, the series has just gone downhill. Granted, TP was light-years better than Wind Waker, but pales in comparison to the N64 games of yore.
    02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By 02sfraser

Nintendo are focusing on 3DS launch for now. I think once more information for Skyward Sword has been released the hype will start building.

terminusdeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By terminusdeus

As many have mentioned E3 last year was the only real display of the game in action, and as Scooper pointed out, the demo was an embarrassment.  So a poor demo being the only real source of information doesn't exactly instill excitement, not for me anyway.  My hope is that their secrecy is due to doing a lot of fixes and testing to make sure the next showing is more promising.  Having said that, I'm concerned that SS will be more on the gimmicky motion controls rather than making a more compelling adventure.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kjellm87
    @terminusdeus said:
    " As many have mentioned E3 last year was the only real display of the game in action, and as Scooper pointed out, the demo was an embarrassment.  So a poor demo being the only real source of information doesn't exactly instill excitement, not for me anyway.  My hope is that their secrecy is due to doing a lot of fixes and testing to make sure the next showing is more promising.  Having said that, I'm concerned that SS will be more on the gimmicky motion controls rather than making a more compelling adventure. "

Just pointing it out here in case you didn't notice it back then, but the on stage controller was corrupted, people on the floor praised the controls.

Besides fans have been begging for 1:1 (somewhat) sword for years
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By blueduck

Ever since the Wii highlighted what most gamers suspected during the GameCube years there has been a hint of doubt that Nintendo cared or even wanted to make a game for the people who were responsible for making it a household name. However, Zelda is something that has always managed to bring the excitement and SS was no different, even after the total phone in that was Twilight Princess. When they said they were showing a new Zelda game I thought that this would be the game that raised Zelda from the half-dead coma it had been resting in, I thought they must have been working on this for some time and maybe had another team making Twilight Princess while they made this one, a little far fetched  but that's what i hoped. Then they showed it and I knew this was the Zelda game I would be getting off at, it isn't like they only had a trailer and some promotional stuff they were playing the game there, or someone behind the scenes was playing it for them! The best thing they could offer about this game was that we would get more motion controls in Zelda (just what I wanted!) and hey you could point your sword to the sky!   
    /however I did like the art style. Hurray!

OneAndOnlyBigE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By OneAndOnlyBigE
    @Scooper said:
    " @OneAndOnlyBigE said:
    " I took a hard look at my Wii not too long ago and realized that it's time to let it go. "
    If your Wii remains hard for over 4 hours consult a doctor immediately.  Anyways, yeah. I don't know if anyone's really excited with the next Zelda game at this point. The E3 demo was a shambles and it looked more like Twilight Princess 2 than anything new and interesting and considering TP was pretty forgettable I can see why SS has fallen off most people's radar. Especially as there have been so many interesting games to play and get excited about the last half-year with even more great games to fill this year too. "
    1000 Internet points to you sir.  

@Kjellm87 said:
    " @terminusdeus said:
    " As many have mentioned E3 last year was the only real display of the game in action, and as Scooper pointed out, the demo was an embarrassment.  So a poor demo being the only real source of information doesn't exactly instill excitement, not for me anyway.  My hope is that their secrecy is due to doing a lot of fixes and testing to make sure the next showing is more promising.  Having said that, I'm concerned that SS will be more on the gimmicky motion controls rather than making a more compelling adventure. "

Just pointing it out here in case you didn't notice it back then, but the on stage controller was corrupted, people on the floor praised the controls.  Besides fans have been begging for 1:1 (somewhat) sword for years "
    For me, the problem with the 1:1 swordplay is that it still looked confined to a very small space.  Meaning, if the skeleton solider is holding his swords vertically then you need to slash vertically to strike between them.  If the skeleton soldier is holding his sword horizontally then you need to slash horizontally to strike between them.  This isn't really 1:1.  Much like Red Steel 2 promised 1:1 swordplay but didn't really deliver it.   

I know we've seen very little at this point, but what little we've seen wasn't enough to convince me to keep my Wii. 
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By craigbo180

Well I can only speak for me personally but this seems to be the least hyped zelda game I can ever remember. I was more excited for minish cap and playing as link in soul caliber 2.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By august

It's not being "forgotten" the pr machine just hasn't gotten in gear yet.

I'm pretty sure when it's about to release we'll have article after article on the thing.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

eh, they just haven't shown anything since E3. Once they have a release date down and we start seeing more gameplay the hype train will be rolling.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#44  Edited By Black_Rose
    @Aus_azn: I politely disagree sir. 
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Daveyo520 said:
    " I have not forgot it, it is just not coming out for a while and there are other games that are out now. When it is closer to release more attention will be had, don't worry.   I like the shader in the game, really like it. "
    Don't you not own a Wii?
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#46  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Considering how ridiculous I remember the hype-machine for Twilight Princess being, I'm surprised that they haven't showed any more of Skyward Sword yet. However, where I am in regards to video games is far different than where I was in 2006, the peak of my Nintendo Power years. At best, I'm cautiously optimistic that this game will actually do something different. At worst, I'm jaded and cynical that it won't, or that it will and be worse because of it. Yeah. I kind of fell off the Nintendo train hard, didn't I?

fourby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fourby

If its been forgotten for the moment, its because Nintendo doest want a lot of attention drawn to it right now. I was actually talking to a friend about it not an hour ago, so I haven't forgotten about it at least.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Black_Rose said:
    " @Aus_azn: I politely disagree sir.  "
    I know many people who do. A lot of my friends loved Wind Waker.
    clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By clarke0

Well there hasn't any information on it so... yeah.

I feel like Twilight Princess is going be a lot more well remembered when this game come out. I mean, no one came out about how much they liked Wind Waker until TP was being bitched about constantly instead.

For the record I think that Twilight Princess was actually a pretty cool game, it just didn't have enough of it's own identity because it tried so hard to be Ocarina of Time. Which was the opposite problem people had with Wind Waker. The direction Skyward Sword is taking seems really unimaginative to me though, because it's essentially just combining the two games together. I'm not particularly hopeful for the game to be honest.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CL60
    @EuanDewar said:
    "
    Batman Arkham Asylum is better then anything that the Zelda series has done for years. Skyward Sword looks like a kind of boring game with a Motion Plus gimmick, I know its harsh to dismiss the game that early on and that viciously but they have shown nothingof that game that looks even remotely interesting, innovative or charming. "
    Well obviously they haven't shown anything interesting, innovative or charming...they haven't shown anything at all yet. The only thing we've seen is a little bit of combat..that's it. So I don't understand what you're talking about or where you're coming from with your complaints.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.