Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

Miyamoto Says New Zelda May Not Be "Radically Diffferent"

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided
    Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto recently talked about the new Wii game, saying that it might not be "radically different". Mr Miyamoto mentions in the most recent issue of Nintendo Power, how he feels that it won't be extremely different:

Full Interview Link

I would say that it doesn't need to be, despite the feeling of stagnation there is currently. It does need some serious spicing up however, that's undeniable.

I would love to see Nintendo taking some notable degree of risk with the game, especially given the lack of risks they have taken elsewhere right now, what with software geared for casual gamers.

I think it's high time Nintendo let their young guns loose on the Zelda franchise. with the aim to merge the classic appeal of Zelda, with all that's conceived and deemed as new and exciting. Nintendo have some great young developers but little trust is imparted to them, and even when it is Miyamoto comes in and "upends the tea table".

implementing a classic formula doesn't mean you cannot bring in a load of stuff that's fresh on all fronts. For me the new Zelda has to do one thing above all, it needs to show gamers how ingenious the Wii Remote with Motion Plus can be used to solve puzzles and to engage in combat which has good depth and strategy.

Second to that, fans are dying and crying out for something new as far as the location, it's time Nintendo delivers on a locale which is excitingly different, something that seems alien to Hyrule. It would make a radical difference to the ambiance of the game. Zelda really needs that change right now.

On the issue of voice acting, Link should never be voiced imo, but all the characters around him should certainly be speaking now. Nobody I know likes the Hyrule mumbling seen in recent games, and why should they, what's to like?. In Wind Waker it was no big deal, but in Twilight Princess the lack of voice acting was a major let down for me. Nintendo should make voice acting a firm feature and a great aspect of this game, they need to stop messing around and shirking the issue.

I have always felt that when Nintendo tries something slightly different with classic franchises, it results in something welcome and positive. I hope the same happens here also, but like I say, I don't feel it needs to be radically new.

Your thoughts?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

My thoughts are here. They are doing "slightly different" if you look at the actual quotes.

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Ish
    @Linkyshinks said:
    I would love to see Nintendo taking some notable degree of risk with the game, especially given the lack of risks they have taken elsewhere right now, what with software geared for casual gamers.

God of Zelda.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I think it will play out like any other zelda games, go to dungeon get new item, use that item to solve specific puzzles in that dungeon, move onto next dungeon. I don't think the game and style will be different (Wolf form anyone) but I think the characters and setting will be.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " I think it will play out like any other zelda games, go to dungeon get new item, use that item to solve specific puzzles in that dungeon, move onto next dungeon. I don't think the game and style will be different (Wolf form anyone) but I think the characters and setting will be. "

I think so too in respect to what you say about the classic formula returning, but I will be expecting them to mix it up considerably with this game, and not just cosmetically.  I have no idea how they will do this, what I do know is that Zelda fans want some significant changes with this game, and I think Nintendo are well aware of that now.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By PureRok

As long as the guys doing Metroid M or whatever don't touch it, I guess I won't mind.

@Linkyshinks said:

" @TheMustacheHero said:
    " I think it will play out like any other zelda games, go to dungeon get new item, use that item to solve specific puzzles in that dungeon, move onto next dungeon. I don't think the game and style will be different (Wolf form anyone) but I think the characters and setting will be. "

... Zelda fans want some significant changes with this game...  "
    I'm a pretty serious Zelda fan and I would be fine if it stayed the same. I actually would prefer not to have "significant" changes. Twilight Princess was a step in the right direction.

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By wealllikepie

@ EVERYONE
    when was the last time zelda games actually had anything RADICALLY NEW, and don't tell me about link being able to change into the wolf cuz that shit SUCKED

MikeHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By MikeHawk
    @wealllikepie said:
    "

@ EVERYONE
    when was the last time zelda games actually had anything RADICALLY NEW, and don't tell me about link being able to change into the wolf cuz that shit SUCKED

"
    zelda II on the NES. lol its only been about 20 years since we got anything new
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:

I think so too in respect to what you say about the classic formula returning, but I will be expecting them to mix it up considerably with this game, and not just cosmetically.  I have no idea how they will do this, what I do know is that Zelda fans want some significant changes with this game, and I think Nintendo are well aware of that now.  "
    I pray that the wolf form doesn't return.
    Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ChickenPants

Hope they don't just bring out the same old game they've been bringing out for the last 10 years.

Zelda is way overated in my humble opinion..

They used to be my favourite adventure style games but Ueda's ICO and Shadow of the Colossus have long since taken that mantle.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By Icemael

I think they should look at Darksiders for ideas(ironic, isn't it?). I'd like to see a good combat system, platforming, and most importantly, challenge. Most of the boss battles in TP could have been absolutely fantastic, but they blew it by making them too easy. Take Morpheel. An insanely huge monster with a really cool design, that dies from three attacks with the item I found in his dungeon. All that lost potential makes me wanna break the disc in two.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

There have only been four 3D Zeldas (ok, the DS titles are 3D too, but they're closer to the 2D games gameplay wise, yet switch up the experience enough to be their own thing from what I've seen) in the last 11 years, that's hardly oversaturating the market. Zelda offers a unique premise and gameplay that few other titles even attempt, and even fewer do it good enough. There was Okami, then what else (I don't think SOTC fits the description)? Keep it up, Nintendo. Besides, motion plus, the new story, and other elements Miyamoto says (if people actually read the interview, or the relevant quotes, instead of assume shit based on headlines) will lead to a more personalised experience, which I imagine is a weird manner to say there will be different ways past certain obstacles and challenges, should ensure the formula is switched up enough.

TP might have been too easy but it was still damn fun with great controls (regardless of the system it was played on), decent story progression, some lesser sequences (wolf stuff), yet it resulted in an epic 20 hour journey for me, which is a pretty good feat considering you rushed through the game in seemingly no time (again, thanks to the lack of difficulty), yet you kept coming across new things instead of the game's end. If I had it my way, the regular cannon-fodder enemies of the next Zelda would be as "tough" as Ganondorf, which made you use all your combat abilities (I think the combat mechanics in Zeldas simply rock) to kill him, but I doubt that will be the case. Regardless, it's bound to be a top notch title.

Demo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Demo

How about Link fighting his inner monsters and liberating himself from all evil that resides in him? Then he would die :shock:.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By ZeroCast

This is probably unrelated, but I am playing Twilight Princess for the first time and it's still the same formula we all already know. It's definitely not be a bad thing -and i did enjoy it before- but whatever Miyamoto has in store for the next Zelda, i hope they revamp the graphical aspect of the game by using a new engine built from the ground up.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:

I think so too in respect to what you say about the classic formula returning, but I will be expecting them to mix it up considerably with this game, and not just cosmetically.  I have no idea how they will do this, what I do know is that Zelda fans want some significant changes with this game, and I think Nintendo are well aware of that now.  "
    I pray that the wolf form doesn't return. "

That wolf was so dull..

An agile Monkey would be cool, at least then it could be used to solve puzzles and get into hard to reach places. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By oldschool

What about Zelda as a true modern RPG?  A bit like classic Final Fantasy (not a copy) with all the best RPG elements.  I love RPG, so it does colour my view a little.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Demo said:
    " How about Link fighting his inner monsters and liberating himself from all evil that resides in him? Then he would die :shock:. "
    I'd play that.

@oldschool said:
    " What about Zelda as a true modern RPG?  A bit like classic Final Fantasy (not a copy) with all the best RPG elements.  I love RPG, so it does colour my view a little. "
    An action RPG would work if they can use the items they provide from dungeons in combat it could be fun. But still I feel they should stray away from the way they do their dungeons.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_A_Drain

Honestly, if I want to play Twilight Princess again, i'll play Twilight Princess.  If it's too close to the regular formula, that's a no sale from me i'm afraid. Metroid Other M is the sort of change Nintendo really needs for these franchises, maybe not the specific changes that are going to be present in Other M, but change in general. But most importantly, if it uses the same fucking mechanic one more time, that is it, I am done with the Zelda franchise.

That stupid dual world mechanic, I really don't care if other people feel differently, but shadow world, being small, time travelling, etc etc, is all ONE mechanic, dual world puzzle solving. The specifics vary greatly, but it's the same principal at it's core and im absolutely sick to my teeth of it. The Wind Waker style games have it right imo, Phantom Hourglass, and the new one, that was a decent change and I loved it. Twilight Princess I honestly feel was like 4 steps backwards.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks

You remember how Miyamoto said the new Zelda would focus on achieving new gameplay ?, well now it seems their focus may be shifting to some of the other things, like say graphics.

In a interview with official Nintendo in Japan, Satoru Iwata has admitted the Zelda team now feel under "higher pressure" after looking at Monster Hunter 3 and seeing what Capcom have achieved technically... Iwata has urged them to work harder as a result.

http://www.gamekyo.com/newsfr31963_the-legend-of-zelda-wii-du-boulot-sur-les-graphismes.html

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187

Surprise.......surprise......

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#21  Edited By Hailinel
    @Linkyshinks said:
    "  You remember how Miyamoto said the new Zelda would focus on achieving new gameplay ?, well now it seems their focus may be shifting to some of the other things, like say graphics.

In a interview with  official Nintendo in Japan, Satoru Iwata has admitted the Zelda team now feel under "higher pressure" after looking at Monster Hunter 3 and seeing what Capcom have achieved techinically... Iwata has urged them to work harder as a result.

http://www.gamekyo.com/newsfr31963_the-legend-of-zelda-wii-du-boulot-sur-les-graphismes.html "
    I don't know if it's a case of focus shifting as much as it is just a general desire within Nintendo to make the next Zelda game as good as they can.  They can work on improving the gameplay and graphics independent of one another without forcing one side to suffer.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Linkyshinks

Yeah, I meant more momentarily ;)

This is a positive thing for the game, it's all very good them working on the inner working of course, but after TP, a game which even on Wii was held back due to it's Gamecube version, many gamers would like to see the very best the Wii has to offer graphically. Super Mario Galaxy 2 will undoubtably show glimpses, but due to the nature of it's art style, it wont show it's full capacity, not like a Zelda game can.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Kyle
    @MikeHawk said:
    " @wealllikepie said:
    "

@ EVERYONE

"
    zelda II on the NES. lol its only been about 20 years since we got anything new "
    I'll answer your question with another question: When was the last time a Zelda game sucked? Also Zelda II. I rest my case.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Meowayne
    @Kyle said:
    " @MikeHawk said:
    " @wealllikepie said:
    "

@ EVERYONE

"
    zelda II on the NES. lol its only been about 20 years since we got anything new "
    I'll answer your question with another question: When was the last time a Zelda game sucked? Also Zelda II. I rest my case. "
    The fact that nostalgia and fan service was put before modern gameplay sucked in every Zelda. Mediocre action adventure is mediocre.
    willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By willin

If Nintendo radically changed Zelda then it will dive hard like a shot dove.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By s-a-n-JR

I enjoyed Twilight Princess alot, although it did feel a tad too similar to past Zelda games at times. I don't think it needs to be radically different otherwise it wouldn't be Zelda, but perhaps, as you say, it needs some spicing up.  

Also, 8.8
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kyle
    @Meowayne said:

" The fact that nostalgia and fan service was put before modern gameplay sucked in every Zelda. Mediocre action adventure is mediocre. "

It's just Nintendo's "if it's ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. If they don't have to try at all and people will still love it anyway, then they won't. The sad part is it works like a charm.

I disagree with the term "mediocre" though. The games aren't mediocre, they're great. The problem is they're all exactly the same. Even something great gets boring after twenty years.

Then again you could probably argue that Phantom Hourglass attempted to change things up and I hated that one, so who knows. Maybe we can just start with a Zelda game that doesn't have a god damn boomerang and move forward from there.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By apathylad
    @Kyle said:
    " @Meowayne said:

" The fact that nostalgia and fan service was put before modern gameplay sucked in every Zelda. Mediocre action adventure is mediocre. "

It's just Nintendo's "if it's ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. If they don't have to try at all and people will still love it anyway, then they won't. The sad part is it works like a charm.  I disagree with the term "mediocre" though. The games aren't mediocre, they're great. The problem is they're all exactly the same. Even something great gets boring after twenty years.  Then again you could probably argue that Phantom Hourglass attempted to change things up and I hated that one, so who knows. Maybe we can just start with a Zelda game that doesn't have a god damn boomerang and move forward from there. "

To be fair, this mentality goes beyond Zelda. Pokemon's been pretty consistent, so have the Metroid games, the list goes on. Zelda follows this trend as well. I'd actually be curious on what new direction they could take a Zelda game, something along the lines of The Other M, which I'm assuming is going to play different than all the current Metroid games.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By apathylad
    @Kyle said:
    " @Meowayne said:

It's just Nintendo's "if it's ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. If they don't have to try at all and people will still love it anyway, then they won't. The sad part is it works like a charm.  I disagree with the term "mediocre" though. The games aren't mediocre, they're great. The problem is they're all exactly the same. Even something great gets boring after twenty years.  Then again you could probably argue that Phantom Hourglass attempted to change things up and I hated that one, so who knows. Maybe we can just start with a Zelda game that doesn't have a god damn boomerang and move forward from there. "

To be fair, this mentality goes beyond Zelda. Pokemon's been pretty consistent, so have the Metroid games, the list goes on. Zelda follows this trend as well. I'd actually be curious on what new direction they could take a Zelda game, something along the lines of The Other M, which I'm assuming is going to play different than all the current Metroid games.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " Link should never be voiced imo, but all the characters around him should certainly be speaking now.  "
    That's a good idea. Silent warrior, yet everyone around him speaks.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Linkyshinks

The reasoning behind that is so that gamers themselves can imagine what he sounds like, It can be equally powerful I think, it beats giving him an Americanized accent..

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mattysen
    @Apathylad said:

" @Kyle said:

" @Meowayne said:

To be fair, this mentality goes beyond Zelda. Pokemon's been pretty consistent, so have the Metroid games, the list goes on. Zelda follows this trend as well. I'd actually be curious on what new direction they could take a Zelda game, something along the lines of The Other M, which I'm assuming is going to play different than all the current Metroid games. "
    Pokemon's main problem is it is unwilling to change, but the new setting and pokemon is the reason it is still playable as new games come out. You cant really change the whole metroidvania formula much, since thats what makes the genre so great to begin with.

Zelda has experamented but everyone just shit on their faces for it. Majoras Mask and Zelda 2 where unbelivably differnet, but they did not get accepted as much, even though there was some pure inovation and clever idea's in those games. That is why it pisses me off to see people say Zelda never changes
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kyle
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " Link should never be voiced imo, but all the characters around him should certainly be speaking now.  "
    That's a good idea. Silent warrior, yet everyone around him speaks. "
    The games are already like that. Link doesn't even speak in text.
    s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By s-a-n-JR
    @Kyle said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    That's a good idea. Silent warrior, yet everyone around him speaks. "
    The games are already like that. Link doesn't even speak in text. "

Zeldona?
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By apathylad
    @mattysen said:
    " @Apathylad said:

" @Kyle said:

" @Meowayne said:

To be fair, this mentality goes beyond Zelda. Pokemon's been pretty consistent, so have the Metroid games, the list goes on. Zelda follows this trend as well. I'd actually be curious on what new direction they could take a Zelda game, something along the lines of The Other M, which I'm assuming is going to play different than all the current Metroid games. "
    Pokemon's main problem is it is unwilling to change, but the new setting and pokemon is the reason it is still playable as new games come out. You cant really change the whole metroidvania formula much, since thats what makes the genre so great to begin with.   Zelda has experamented but everyone just shit on their faces for it. Majoras Mask and Zelda 2 where unbelivably differnet, but they did not get accepted as much, even though there was some pure inovation and clever idea's in those games. That is why it pisses me off to see people say Zelda never changes "
    For what's it worth, I enjoyed Majora's Mask quite a bit. I did think the end of the world setting made it the darkest Zelda, seeing all the NPCs panicking about the moon falling.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.