Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

Motion Plus Required

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Endogene

During E3 Shigeru Miyamoto told the fine folks over at Wired that not only  will the new Legends Of Zelda game for the Nintendo Wii  use the recently release Motion Plus add-on, it will actually require it.

The goal at this point is that we would make Wii MotionPlus required in order to play Zelda. he bigger hurdle for us is not really whether people have a Wii MotionPlus or don't have it, it's whether or not the experience is one where people will think they want to have a Wii MotionPlus in order to experience it.
    Other then that he also told that the game is planned for 2010 but might come out somewhat later.

No Caption Provided
    Via: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/06/zelda-wii-motionplus/

Looks like we have a rather intriguing game to wait for, sword combat would logically get the most out of Motion Plus. I'm a bit on the fence about archery though, plain pointer control worked marvellously with the last Legend of Zelda game and i can't really see how playing it (if indeed it will) like the archery game in Wii Sports Resorts will be an improvement. My biggest curiosity though is how the fishing minigame will turn out with it, I absolutely loved it in the previous game.

edit: this interview dates June 12th so some of you might already have heard about it.
    Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Mushir

Im guessing that they will show some kind of a trailer of it at next years E3. Then it will be out in 2011. They already have Galaxy 2 and Other M for next year.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Endogene

It would make sense, I'm still hoping that it will come out before then though. It's not often that I am genuinely excited for a new Zelda game.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Meowayne

Mediocre action adventures played for nostalgia ftw.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Endogene
    @Meowayne: True enough for the previous game but it really looks like they are going another direction with this one, of course we won't know until it gets released but reading them say that they are done with the traditional Legend of Zelda formula and that they are going to change it plus this announcement that it will require Motion Plus makes me rather hopeful that the result will be a fresh and new experience.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

No, I would love a MotionPlus required action adventure. But make it a new IP and don't let 20 year old formulae get in your way.
    Zelda will not be a fresh and new experience. The whole reason and essence of people hyping these games is that they aren't.

zerok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By zerok

Perhaps this also means that Nintendo will support the Motion Plus more than some of their other peripherals :-/

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By oldschool
    @Meowayne said:
    " No, I would love a MotionPlus required action adventure. But make it a new IP and don't let 20 year old formulae get in your way.Zelda will not be a fresh and new experience. The whole reason and essence of people hyping these games is that they aren't. "
    I agree they should be investing in some new IP.  But, still make the Zelda game as well  :-)
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Meowayne said:
    " No, I would love a MotionPlus required action adventure. But make it a new IP and don't let 20 year old formulae get in your way.Zelda will not be a fresh and new experience. The whole reason and essence of people hyping these games is that they aren't. "
    Zelda is practically its own genre. Few games even attempt the same style and even fewer do it succesfully (Okami, Beyond Good & Evil, ???). Zelda is one franchise that should never die as far as I'm concerned, and honestly, people overreact way too much about how samey they all are considering there's only been four 3D Zeldas of the Ocarina of Time mould so far. With the age of the franchise that's really not so many, even newer franchises already have more sequels than that. I'm confident the next one will be fantastic, and Twilight Princess wasn't bad either.

2D (or ish) Zeldas have been more common but from what I've seen the DS titles provide enough new twists, and people whine for that (trainz!).

As for motion plus, sweet. I'm sure it'll get more use than the single other main Wii accessory, the balance board, which isn't really so neglected. It simply doesn't lend itself to too many games, while motion plus can clearly have a vast range of uses exceeding the default remote, which was already sufficient for most game types anyway. I don't think people should worry about underuse considering its capabilities and its start.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.