Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

Nintendo Working on Update to Fix Skyward Sword Glitch

• 68 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    Most people will probably never come across this glitch, but it's definitely possible to.
    Most people will probably never come across this glitch, but it's definitely possible to.

As polished as Nintendo releases typically are, sometimes glitches still sneak through, and one that completely breaks The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is a particularly damaging one.

The glitch prevents users from even finishing the game.

When the “Song of the Hero” quest becomes available, players are allowed to splinter off into one of three places. If players choose complete the Lanayru Desert section ahead of Faron Woods or Eldin Volcano, certain cutscenes will never trigger.

Nintendo has been unclear about how it would solve the issue, either. In the past, Nintendo has fixed major glitches by having players send in their copy of the game or an SD card with the botched save.

That’s still going to be an option, according to a support update from Nintendo, but it’s also being a bit more progressive, and will be releasing some kind of downloadable software that will fix saved games.

“We are also planning on releasing a program that will repair save data for those who have their Wii connected to the Internet,” reads a statement on the support site. “We are currently working on preparations for the release of this program. Information on how to download and use it will be made available through support.nintendo.com once the program is ready for release.”

Details on this update are till being determined, but it’s nice to see you won’t have to ship off a saved game. If you’d like to go that route, however, Nintendo says it will happily fix saved games for you.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

As polished as Nintendo releases typically are, sometimes glitches still sneak through, and one that completely breaks The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is a particularly damaging one.

The glitch prevents users from even finishing the game.

When the “Song of the Hero” quest becomes available, players are allowed to splinter off into one of three places. If players choose complete the Lanayru Desert section ahead of Faron Woods or Eldin Volcano, certain cutscenes will never trigger.

Nintendo has been unclear about how it would solve the issue, either. In the past, Nintendo has fixed major glitches by having players send in their copy of the game or an SD card with the botched save.

That’s still going to be an option, according to a support update from Nintendo, but it’s also being a bit more progressive, and will be releasing some kind of downloadable software that will fix saved games.

“We are also planning on releasing a program that will repair save data for those who have their Wii connected to the Internet,” reads a statement on the support site. “We are currently working on preparations for the release of this program. Information on how to download and use it will be made available through support.nintendo.com once the program is ready for release.”

Details on this update are till being determined, but it’s nice to see you won’t have to ship off a saved game. If you’d like to go that route, however, Nintendo says it will happily fix saved games for you.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rotnac

well finally!

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Legend

I'm just glad the glitch didn't happen to me when I was playing the game.

IamAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By IamAwesome

Nintendo confirmed to be better than Bethesda.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By laserbolts

Hard to give nintendo any shit after some of the stuff the ps3 and 360 pumped out this generation. Bummer for the people affected though.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Superkenon

Cool. Whenever I get around to my second playthrough, I'd like to be able to tackle that section in whatever weird order I want without fear of hitting this glitch.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sfighter21

@IamAwesome said:

....how so?

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Shakezula84

I use to work at Nintendo, and im surprised that got through. I wonder who got yelled at.

Avatar image for giant_frying_pan
    giant_frying_pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By giant_frying_pan

Yeah there was some major save game bugs, one of which I got hit by, that could have been fixed in Fallout 3 but Bethesda only fixed it for brand new saves, not existing ones.

It is a shame that two home console Zelda games in a row now, a pretty major bug has been present in both. Hopefully Wii U will have a more elegant solution for patching, although ideally of course it shouldn't be required in the first place.

Saga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By Saga

I plan on playing this as soon as I'm done with Skyrim. Hopefully the fix will be completed by then.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@IamAwesome said:

Except the part where you had to send shit in or "use software to repair damaged save" stuff. Nintendo needs a better way to fix this shit.

Mumrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mumrik

"and will be releasing some kind of downloadable software that will fix saved games."

Hmmm, maybe we could call this thing a 'patch'! What a wonderful new use of that word!

Suits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Suits

this is why i make back ups, but this never happened to a Nintendo game i had before tbh

ThePilgrums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By ThePilgrums

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Except the part where you had to send shit in or "use software to repair damaged save" stuff. Nintendo needs a better way to fix this shit.

What do you think a patch is other than "software"? Magic?

fargofallout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fargofallout

Until Skyrim came out, I never really gave much thought to how bug-free Nintendo games generally are. Those guys must test their games pretty thoroughly. That being said, it's still sort of funny to read statements like this from Nintendo and see how behind they are in the online part of gaming. If I haven't played a game on my 360 in a few months, I'm surprised if there isn't some sort of minor patch. I wonder if developers are significantly more careful about testing Wii games for bugs, knowing that they can't patch them.

craigbandicoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By craigbandicoot

Wow, is this a sign that online patches could be the future?

ChrisInCali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ChrisInCali

Can they patch out the first 6 hours of the game, and all the useless dialogue too?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By csl316

So as long as I don't go to the desert first, I'll be fine?

drstrawberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By drstrawberry

"some sort of downloadable software" like.... a patch? *gasp

krabboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By krabboss

@Mumrik said:

"and will be releasing some kind of downloadable software that will fix saved games."

Hmmm, maybe we could call this thing a 'patch'! What a wonderful new use of that word!

Your reading comprehension needs some work. The downloadable software will apply a fix/patch to the save, but it isn't a patch itself.

sirpenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By sirpenguin

You might want to clarify that doing the desert first in no way will stop the cutscenes from triggering. The bug only occurs in a very specific situation that requires you to complete that entire section, then do a bit of backtracking (instead of progressing) in order to speak to a character in a different area of that level.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By damnboyadvance

NIntendo releasing an update for their game? That is news! Ha! They are so pathetically far behind!

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By billyhoush

Does anyone have the story on the game that required you to mail something in? Which game was it?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NTM

Alright, good; I didn't run into it.

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#25  Edited By mcmax3000

Good on Nintendo for figuring out a better way to fix this than requiring people to mail something in. It's still far from perfect but considering the severe limitations of their hardware, it sounds like a good solution.

habibyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By habibyjohnson

Wait this is incorrect information Patrick.... The glitch is not if you go to the desert first (that would be a huge glitch indeed) it is if for some reason after you complete the quest you go back to talk to the Goron at the beginning (which is something noone would actually do for any good reason). Why you trying to make Nintendo look worse ehre?

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dungbootle

Typo, Patrick.

Details on this update are till being determined, but it’s nice to see you won’t have to ship off a saved game.

kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By kollay

@billyhoush said:

Does anyone have the story on the game that required you to mail something in? Which game was it?

I believe it was Other M?

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By chiablo

I think we've reached a dangerous point in gaming history. When Nintendo is releasing a patch for a first-party game, games have become too complex.

paskaroni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By paskaroni

@ChrisInCali said:

Can they patch out the first 6 hours of the game, and all the useless dialogue too?

cheers to that...

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

They should've done this to fix the Metroid: Other M glitch too.

Mumrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mumrik

@krabboss said:

@Mumrik said:

Your reading comprehension needs some work. The downloadable software will apply a fix/patch to the save, but it isn't a patch itself.

You mean like... a patcher/update tool?

Wooo!

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Black_Rose
    vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By vinsanityv22

Never thought I'd live to see the day Nintendo would use patches. I'm torn; sad to see Nintendo shipped a glitched game, and also happy to see them using patches. Of course, it's also nice to know they're still being crazy and purposefully different, refusing to call it a patch and "go with the crowd".

Can't wait to see this...ahem... "program that will repair save data" (because that sounds so much better than 'patch'. Now you can say you're the guys who innovated it, Nintendo! )

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By Tackchevy

Somewhere, someone experienced intense shame over this. Still, I love the old mentality of making an awesome game and selling it, and that's it. It's a total uproar when a nintendo game has a bug, because the expectations are so high. DLC is one of the worst things that has happened to our collective hobby in the last six years. Patches for PC existed before that, but it was kind of nice when games had to be awesome when they were released, or they would always suck and your development studio would be a topic of eternal shame for putting out a broken product, and the publisher would have to do some massive recall.

I mean, people bought FFXIV years ago, and it still isn't a real game. What the fuck is that about?

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dan_CiTi

They should also fix that glitch of having the dialog pop up when you get a forging item. Also that glitch when you cannot skip dialog and only skip cutscenes if you have died at a boss.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#37  Edited By jaqen_hghar

Phew, I just did that part myself, glad the bug didn't hit my game. Did Faron Woods first. I do wish they would fix the "act like you never picked up any bugs or treasure every time you start a new session, thus showing you what it is" thing as well. It is really annoying, especially when I am not able to play huge chunks at a time.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Nintendo Software Update Channel? Aight.

amigocesar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By amigocesar

@laserbolts: It's hard to have a history of glitches in your games when the number of good games for that platform can be counted with the fingers of a single hand.

kosayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kosayn

I'll eagerly await the left handed mode update, too, now that it's raining frogs.

krabboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By krabboss

@Mumrik said:

@krabboss said:

@Mumrik said:

You mean like... a patcher/update tool?

Wooo!

Yeah, that thing which is not a patch.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Shakezula84 said:

I use to work at Nintendo, and im surprised that got through. I wonder who got yelled at.

I started reading that sentence and thought: "Not another knee joke"... I spend too much time on the the Internet.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LiquidPrince

I wonder, will they repress discs with new code? Also, is this 100% confirmed to ruin your save, or does it happen randomly to some people?

pedantics1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By pedantics1

Prediction: patching software will only be compatible with windows 95 and will arrive on a floppy disk

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By EmuLeader

This is a huge reason Nintendo needs to make a console that is MUCH better at online connectivity like the 360 and PS3. Having to mail in hardware to fix a glitch?! That is just completely unnecessary and should not even be a thought at this point in console technology. Its not like this is 2000. I realize they are releasing a patch, but having to go a to website just to figure out how to download the file is ridiculous. Fix your shit for the next console Nintendo.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By musubi
    @IamAwesome: Please, QA a open world game like Skyrim and get back to me on that.  Because that has to be quite honestly a nightmare to QA and even moreso patch.    Patching game code is like stacking a house of cards.
    IamAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By IamAwesome

@Demoskinos: Sure. Tell that to the PS3 users who all got a broken game.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Vexxan
    @OllyOxenFree said:

Nintendo Software Update Channel? Aight.

The Nintendo S.U.C? Alright!
    Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#49  Edited By Tireyo

Now, if only they could fix the stupid re-spawn glitch at Maka Wuhu in Mario Kart 7! That'll show those cheaters. Mario Kart 7 needs it more than Skyward Sword in my opinion... though the Skyward Sword glitch is rather serious... of course.

shadystx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By shadystx

Nintendo have struggled with this sort of thing all generation, Their inability to patch games easily through their online system shows they are still light years behind their competitors in this aspect.

I worry that it will take Nintendo far too long to develop HD games that are fully voiced and I worry about their ability to make a quality online service that can rival the next xbox/PS, I worry that the Wii U will be the death of Nintendo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.