Should I play Windwaker or Skyward Sword first?

#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

#2 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

See Results is definitely my favourite game in the series.

#3 Edited by VanillaPlant (146 posts) -

Play Windwaker first, buy Skyward Sword when its cheaper. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

#4 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

It doesnt mater the story is devoid of any connection, at least any connection in that a certan succession of games must be played in order.

#5 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Link To The Past

#6 Posted by adoggz (2067 posts) -

there is a difference?

#7 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

its more of a personal prefence you can get wind waker for cheaper if money is a factor

#8 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

All I know is that Wind Waker basically takes places after Ocarina of Time (many years of course) and Skyward Sword takes place before Ocarina of Time. I don't know about Twilight Princess nor do I care. In the end though, it doesn't really matter where you start playing. Wind Waker was my first Zelda game and it's still my favorite one.

#9 Posted by Skyfire543 (689 posts) -

Doesn't matter in terms of story, but if you're strapped for cash get Windwaker becuase it's way cheaper.

#10 Edited by xyzygy (9982 posts) -

Wind Waker is phenomenal. Play it first and then Skyward Sword.  

EDIT: I'm not saying SS is bad, I havent played it but I hear it's also phenomenal. I'm only saying WW first because I know what the game is like and it's awesome.

#11 Posted by captain_clayman (3321 posts) -

play windwaker and then get skyward sword and play it on christmas morning in your footie pajamas.  that's what i'm gonna do.

#12 Posted by Gamer_152 (14077 posts) -

I think Wind Waker first, it'd probably be a more fluid experience seeing how the art style from one fed into the other. Although I wouldn't blame you if you didn't finish Wind Waker, it pulls some kind of monotonous stuff nearer the end.

#13 Posted by Shadow (4980 posts) -

I'd say Windwaker. Skyward Sword streamlines so much stuff that it would probably be hard to do it the other way around

#14 Posted by Butano (1738 posts) -

Darksiders

#15 Posted by BisonHero (6512 posts) -

@VanillaPlant said:

Play Windwaker first, buy Skyward Sword when its cheaper. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

First party Nintendo games take like 4 years to drop in price (this generation, at least). The best you can hope for is that you will find a temporary retailer-specific discount during Black Friday, Boxing Day, or whatever other crazy shopping periods may exist internationally.

Seriously, Twilight Princess, released in 2006, was still $50 until about 6 months ago when the Wii FINALLY got a "Greatest Hits" lineup that now has something like 8 games that are $20 each.

#16 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

@Shadow said:

I'd say Windwaker. Skyward Sword streamlines so much stuff that it would probably be hard to do it the other way around

Do you really think it would be hard to go back and play WW?

#17 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

@Shadow said:

Some of the menu stuff might be a bit annoying (having to keep going in and equip different items) but in general, I don't think the game has aged at all and it's still my favourite of the Zelda games.

I'd say it doesn't matter what order you play them.

#18 Edited by Tonylope (194 posts) -

Wind Waker is by far my favourite Zelda game, it's so much more enjoyable than Twilight Princess, even taking the late game monotony into consideration. It also reminds me of what I hate about Wii games, no (good) camera control. Can't tell you how it compares to Skyward Sword though, I know I'd just play both.

#19 Posted by Shadow (4980 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

@Shadow said:

it wouldn't be a terrible experience, but there is definitely stuff in Wind Waker that will annoy you a lot more if you've just played a better implemented version of the same systems.

#20 Posted by BrickRoad (702 posts) -

I do love Wind Waker, I really do. Hmm... I should probably go back and play that soon. The ocean music was great. But anyway, having not played SS I can't recommend it from any personal point of view, but having said that you might find it awkward going back to a GameCube controller and the old menu set up after playing SS on the Wii?

#21 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

I actually tried to play Wind Waker first less that a fortnight ago. I even connected the GBA for the Tingle extras. I wanted to complete it, but gave up after a couple of hours. I still want to complete it, but just can't get into it. Skyward Sword is sitting locked away as a Christmas Day present and with a month to do it, I kind of doubt I will get anywhere near finishing Wind Waker.

I still say try to complete Wind Waker first though.

#22 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

I have both games but I really want to play Skyward Sword first but I'm worried I won't like Wind Waker as much if I do.

#23 Posted by Jimbo_N (1197 posts) -

Windwaker is a masterpiece and a classic. At least the later cannot be said for Skyward Sword yet and from what I've heard and read, not the first one either.

Of course this is just my personal opinion tho so take it for what its worth.

But you should not miss out on Windwaker. Game frikkin still holds up as one of the greatest games of all time.

#24 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

@Jimbo_N said:

Windwaker is a masterpiece and a classic. At least the later cannot be said for Skyward Sword yet and from what I've heard and read, not the first one either.

Of course this is just my personal opinion tho so take it for what its worth.

But you should not miss out on Windwaker. Game frikkin still holds up as one of the greatest games of all time.

Skyward Sword has a 94 and Wind waker a 96. Are you telling me Wind waker was 2 points away from not being a masterpiece? :P

#25 Posted by PandaBear (1371 posts) -

Remember the ending to Zelda: See Results? That sex scene was so weird... but the time travelling space fish was pretty cool.

#26 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

both are great games. if you have hours and hours of free time then sure go for WW first. if not then im half way through SS and loving it as much as i've loved any Zelda game, even more maybe as the combat is so much fun.

now a HD WW now that i would play again

#27 Posted by spankingaddict (2671 posts) -

IMO , Wind Waker is the greatest game ever released . Soooo, you know my answer .

#28 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

.... Perhaps Wind Waker since it's cheaper. Your arm certainly won't get tired!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.