Skyward Sword: Looks not so good.

• 78 results
#1 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -

I saw this trailer for Skyward Sword on Gametrailers, and I'm not impressed. It looks washed out and uninviting. Look and see for yourself.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-11-zelda-skyward/711140

I'll buy it, but I'm a fool. It just seems something is missing. Maybe it's too much to ask for something like a Wind Waker game on the Wii. Wind Waker was so crisp and so clean. Don't get me wrong, I loved Twilight Princess on the Wii, but the art direction seems all over the place for Skyward Sword from from what I've seen. Hopefully the gameplay is more than the sum of its parts...as they say.

I'll buy, but my fingers are crossed. Kind of gross in my opinion.

EDIT

I have since come around to the graphics and art style. I was going to by it anyway, so my final judgement will be after I have played it.

#2 Edited by Skald (4367 posts) -

Legend of Zelda sure hasn't changed much since Ocarina. Colour me ambivalent.

#3 Posted by quantumshift5 (415 posts) -

I think its time to change the forumula a bit, mostly the combat. The story is always told well, other than that, we just need a smoother combat system.
#4 Posted by Smallerz (119 posts) -

Maybe I'm crazy, but I really like the art style. It's like a perfect midpoint between Wind Waker's style and Twilight Princess'. Everybody wins!

#5 Posted by BeachThunder (11946 posts) -

Maybe it's time for Link to have a bit of a rest.

#6 Posted by iWonder (454 posts) -

I remember Kasavin saying it had a bit of a retro-feel to it. I'm not sure how I feel about it looking retro, but I think the art-style is fine, honestly. 

#7 Posted by picklecannon (265 posts) -

We've only seen like 2 minutes of in game footage thus far.. i think its kind of early to be calling anything yet. Besides, today's new trailer was nothing but like 1 second shots of random action. I agree the formula is getting a little stale though, but i've yet to see SS in action and am hopeful that its changed enough.

#8 Posted by Dalai (7030 posts) -

It seems Nintendo is trying to appease both the Wind Waker and the darker, more mature Zelda... and I think it looks fine. I am more interested in what is supposedly different from previous Zelda games, and they haven't elaborated on that yet. I expect there will be some major Zelda news come E3. 

But yeah... nothing really new to see from that trailer, but that's Nintendo's way. They love to pump most of the details out just before release.

#9 Posted by iWonder (454 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" Maybe it's time for Link to have a bit of a rest. "
From a gameplay perspective, maybe, but that's about as effective as screaming at Final Fantasy that it needs to take a rest. Maybe it does, but they won't, it's too valuable as a franchise to Nintendo.
#10 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
#11 Posted by Hailinel (24836 posts) -

I don't really see the problem.  Barely anything of substance was shown in the trailer beyond the Motion Plus swordplay.  There's nothing in the trailer that indicates overall game structure.

#12 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" I don't really see the problem.  Barely anything of substance was shown in the trailer beyond the Motion Plus swordplay.  There's nothing in the trailer that indicates overall game structure. "
It looks dirty. Like a mighty N64 dirty. Twilight Princess was a clean game, not as crisp as Wind Waker but very pleasing to the eye. This trailer looks washed in some form of game code I'm not familiar with. Frankly, I'm not sure what to think of it. I'm not a graphics whore, but it lacks color and sometimes color means character. I could be wrong, as I have been been many times, but I'm not feeling the color pallet of this trailer.
#13 Posted by Hailinel (24836 posts) -
@Claude said:
" @Hailinel said:
" I don't really see the problem.  Barely anything of substance was shown in the trailer beyond the Motion Plus swordplay.  There's nothing in the trailer that indicates overall game structure. "
It looks dirty. Like a mighty N64 dirty. Twilight Princess was a clean game, not as crisp as Wind Waker but very pleasing to the eye. This trailer looks washed in some form of game code I'm not familiar with. Frankly, I'm not sure what to think of it. I'm not a graphics whore, but it lacks color and sometimes color means character. I could be wrong, as I have been been many times, but I'm not feeling the color pallet of this trailer. "
Now you're exaggerating.  There's no way that this looks like an N64 game.
#14 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

I'm wary about passing judgement on Skyward Sword just yet. I suppose I'm happy that Nintendo are at least trying a slightly new art style though. It's not that I haven't loved the art style of games like Wind Waker in the past but Nintendo have already put out three different games in that art style, it's understandable that they might want to try a slightly different variation on it.

#15 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Tarsier:  In some ways, I'm glad Nintendo doesn't go for it. I'm a big F-Zero fan. Imagine how they would dumb down that game, maybe that's why they can't make a new sequel. F-Zero is too "hardcore" for a mass audience, so why try.
#16 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -
@iWonder said:

" I remember Kasavin saying it had a bit of a retro-feel to it. I'm not sure how I feel about it looking retro, but I think the art-style is fine, honestly.  "

I like the new art-style.  The footage from GDC was all gameplay, and wasn't meant to be a trailer or press material.  It was just a minute of gameplay footage to show the new things they're doing with the Motion Plus. 

People are saying the series needs to be reinvented, and a few people who have gone hands-on with the game or know some insider info have said a lot of the gameplay (while still identifiably Zelda) has been reworked.  Not only do motion controls take a part in all of your items and weapons, but rumor has it that the overworld and dungeons are more intuitively connected and the game doesn't hold your hand in discovering things and finding your path.  Basically, it sounds like this might be more like a spiritual successor to the original Legend of Zelda, as opposed to Ocarina of Time.  It's all hearsay, of course, but interesting if true.  If true, then it's what fans have been asking for.  Then again, so was The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, and you saw how quickly fans turned on them, only realizing their "greatness" when the next game came out for them to hate. 

And to people saying Zelda needs a break, it's been 5 years since the last console Zelda, and it's the first one fully-intended for the Wii. 
#17 Posted by Bones8677 (3245 posts) -

Zelda needs a game changer. This aint it.

#18 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

You're right, it looks washed out in spots. Kinda awkward too with the blend of art styles. I still think it looks cool though. The trailer got me a bit excited for the game after almost forgetting about it.

#19 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

You're crazy old man! That beard dancin' has gone to your brain!

Honestly though, they should give 2D a shot. High Res pixel Zelda? Hasn't been done yet!

#20 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Snapstacle said:
" You're crazy old man! That beard dancin' has gone to your brain!  Honestly though, they should give 2D a shot. High Res pixel Zelda? Hasn't been done yet! "
You don't want to dance with me. My beard is a few more weeks old. It has grown. Unlike our games we play.
#21 Posted by Daveyo520 (6763 posts) -

I still want it...

#22 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

Fuck. Fuck.
It's another Zelda game, and I love Zelda games, but I want something different, but I'll still probably play this one.
Fuck you Nintendo.

#23 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Looks fine to me, and they've already said that they're changing the formula that all Zelda games currently have significantly.

#24 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

Looks like shit. Outdated tech. Outdated gimmick-centred gameplay. The OOT 3DS version looks way better than that twaddle.

#25 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Well, I can't say that that footage excited me at all. But what the video showed was far from comprehensive, and details are still too scant for me to make any snap judgment on the game yet.

The Zelda team seems like it's full of smart dudes; they have to know that at this point, the Zelda formula needs a little more spice than MotionPlus support, right?

...Right?

#26 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Ya I'm not all too impressed, the triforce tattoo on my shoulder itched when I saw it.
The style is rather unique but I'll have to play it myself to judge it, like Wind Waker, playing it is different then seeing it.

I also got a lil hope for story and more in this game, I loved most Zelda games so much because of the story, but the spin offs like Oracle of Ages/Seasons was a lil too far fetched for me at times.
Let me crawl some dungeons, get the boomerang, hookshot and bow, give me Ganon to fight, I'll be happy.

But hey, its Zelda, and Zelda has never disappointed me so far, I will not judge this quick.

#27 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5256 posts) -
@Snapstacle said:
" You're crazy old man! That beard dancin' has gone to your brain!  Honestly though, they should give 2D a shot. High Res pixel Zelda? Hasn't been done yet! "
If they really want to get us all hot and bothered throw in some sweet 2D (In 3D of course) sidescrolling sections too, you know for good measure. 

Also Muramasa: Demon Blade or something of this franchise would be the perfect game for this thing.
#28 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

So when they said the big ugly wiimote icon on the right side of the screen was just for E3 playtesting purposes and would disappear for the final release, they were lying?

Please tell me we can switch it off.

I don't even care about the art style. Nothing says "I don't give a shit about atmosphere" like unnecessary and obstrusive HUD decisions.

#29 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

People are way too picky. It looks fine to me.

#30 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I always find it fucking hilarious when people say about a mature Zelda. It's fucking Nintendo. They're the Playhouse Disney of video games.

#31 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1789 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" I always find it fucking hilarious when people say about a mature Zelda. It's fucking Nintendo. They're the Playhouse Disney of video games. "
If you didn't love lesbians I would kiss you right now.
#32 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -
@W0lfbl1tzers said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" I always find it fucking hilarious when people say about a mature Zelda. It's fucking Nintendo. They're the Playhouse Disney of video games. "
If you didn't love lesbians I would kiss you right now. "
or balrog rather.
#33 Posted by nindoten (44 posts) -

This trailer only shows gameplay, I hope we will see the real trailer in E3 2011.

#34 Posted by TheHBK (5485 posts) -
@Claude: Thanks a lot man.  Now I am buying a 3DS when zelda is out.  Seriously though, I am waiting for this game to come out... 

#35 Edited by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Now the thread is back up I'll just say I disagree with you Claude, I think it looks fine. And that was just GDC, we still only have info about the gameplay. ( But at least one Kefka looking dude is revealed)
Also the fact Zelda looks and plays like Zelda is because...well it's Zelda, what did you expect?

#36 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

I think it looks beautiful and it definitely the direction a Zelda for the Wii should go. Windwaker was a stunning game but it needs to evolve I think this is the right direction. Can't wait!

#37 Posted by HairyMike87 (1016 posts) -

It kind of looks like Twilight Princess and Windwaker meshed together.

#38 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

It's not as ugly as Twilight Princess was, although that's not saying much.

#39 Posted by Sogeman (871 posts) -

They should put it on the 3DS and just make that thing their primary console until they get out a Wii HD. Maybe then I can get my Luigis Mansion 2 (or remake of 1) for the 3DS, one of the few games that would get me to buy one.

#40 Posted by Trebz (487 posts) -

It doesn't look bad at all. It just looks very... unexciting. The formula is starting to wear thin on me now and motion controls aren't going to make me want to go through the same song-and-dance again. Hopefully they'll spice it up this time around.

#41 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

Nintendo is just going to make the same game over and over.

#42 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

It's fun watching the Wii die. Actually, Nintendo could release Skyward Sword for the Wii and their next console at the same time. You know, like Twilight Princess. Seriously, how many games are coming out on the Wii that anyone cares about this year? For me, it's Tiger Woods 12 and Skyward Sword, that's it.

#43 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Of course it looks like crap, it's a gamecube game.

#44 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -
@Claude said:
" It's fun watching the Wii die. Actually, Nintendo could release Skyward Sword for the Wii and their next console at the same time. You know, like Twilight Princess. Seriously, how many games are coming out on the Wii that anyone cares about this year? For me, it's Tiger Woods 12 and Skyward Sword, that's it. "
Um, the Wii isn't for people who like games. Nintendo was able to make the Wii something like tickle me Elmo, but hey rest ashore with the knowledge that every once and awhile they will release one of the same games they've been releasing for years. 
#45 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@blueduck said:
" @Claude said:
" It's fun watching the Wii die. Actually, Nintendo could release Skyward Sword for the Wii and their next console at the same time. You know, like Twilight Princess. Seriously, how many games are coming out on the Wii that anyone cares about this year? For me, it's Tiger Woods 12 and Skyward Sword, that's it. "
Um, the Wii isn't for people who like games. Nintendo was able to make the Wii something like tickle me Elmo, but hey rest ashore with the knowledge that every once and awhile they will release one of the same games they've been releasing for years.  "
I've played a lot of games on the Wii I loved. I loved my Wii at one time. But the Wii was underpowered when it came out 5 and a half years ago, so it's time for a change. And how about some F-Zero, Mario Golf, Wave Race and 1080. Those were my favorite franchises from years past. Where the fuck are they now?
#46 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -
@Claude said:
Chill out, Claude.   At least wait for E3.
But it is due for a new console soon.
#47 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Kjellm87 said:
" @Claude said:
Chill out, Claude.   At least wait for E3. But it is due for a new console soon. "
Okay, I'm calm. I'll buy the damn game no doubt. And I will probably love it.
#48 Posted by AceBlack19 (112 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" You're right, it looks washed out in spots. Kinda awkward too with the blend of art styles. I still think it looks cool though. The trailer got me a bit excited for the game after almost forgetting about it. "
Same here, actually. When I heard about it I wasn't impressed, but this trailer made it look interesting to me again. I think it may have something to do with the multi-armed enemies and the use of Motion plus. The art style is not winning me over at all, but the graphics don't look all that terrible to me.  What I'd really like to see from a Skyward Sword trailer is the equipment Links going to be collecting this time. I really don't think he needs yet another hookshot, or a new master sword he can throw into a pile with the others. 

If I see him playing an ocarina or conducting wind in future trailers, I'll declare the Zelda franchise creatively bankrupt. Until then, I can wait it out and see what happens.
#49 Edited by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -
@Claude said:

" @Kjellm87 said:

" @Claude said:

Chill out, Claude.   At least wait for E3. But it is due for a new console soon. "
Okay, I'm calm. I'll buy the damn game no doubt. And I will probably love it. "
I too feel like it is missing things like F-Zero and Golf and I dunno what's up with that.
 But I can't really complain about what Nintendo has produced this gen either, more inspired stuff than Gamecube stuff for sure.
#50 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Kjellm87 said:
" @Claude said:

" @Kjellm87 said:

" @Claude said:
Okay, I'm calm. I'll buy the damn game no doubt. And I will probably love it. "
I too feel like it's missing things like F-Zero and Golf and I dunno what's up with that.  But I can't really complain about what Nintendo has produced this gen either, more inspired stuff than Gamecube stuff for sure. "
Mario Golf not being on the Wii really perplexes me. I remember buying the Wii on release day and loving Wii Sports Golf. I then bought Super Swing Golf for the Wii and loved the hell out of it. I kept thinking Mario Golf and the Wii were made for each other. I guess I thought wrong. Camelot the makers of Mario Golf made We Love Golf for the Wii, but it was average at best. I also read that Camelot will not make another sports game for Nintendo Characters.  So sad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.