The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Revealed

• 137 results
Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

The Legend of Zelda is back, and it looks like it could be the most substantial break from series convention since Ocarina of Time.  This morning, Mario and Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto stepped onto the stage at Nintendo's E3 Press Conference and revealed The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, the latest installment in the long running franchise, and the first console Zelda release in four years. Skyward Sword will require the Wii Motion Plus accessory and,  as a result, be capable of more accurate motion control experience than the previous Zelda console game. 

Miyamoto demonstrated several of the various new gameplay in the game. Sword control is mapped to the Wii remote, but, like the sword fighting found in Wii Sports Resort, Skyward Sword will allow you to move the sword around by tilting and moving the Wii remote (instead of the "waggle-as-button press" movement of the previous Zelda game).  This allowed for more dynamic sword moves (instead of canned animation for sword moves). To demonstrate the improved sword control, Miyamoto showed off a monster who had to be confused by waving the sword around in a circle to dizzy the monster. By simply rotating the Wii Remote,  Link was able to spin the sword in the game world, with the monster following the rotation of the sword until it was dizzied. 

In fact, it sounds like many of the gameplay design choices found in Wii Sports Resort will make their way into Skyward Sword. You'll be able to fire slingshot pebbles in a way very similar to the archery found in  
Resort.  

Skyward Sword also boasts a much simpler inventory system than previous Zelda games, replacing the menu with a more functional, full radial wheel from which bombs, boomerangs, and slingshots can be selected and equipped. 

At the end of the demonstration, Miyamoto revealed that the game was still early in development, and won't be out this year. We'll have more information on Skyward Sword as it develops.
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

The Legend of Zelda is back, and it looks like it could be the most substantial break from series convention since Ocarina of Time.  This morning, Mario and Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto stepped onto the stage at Nintendo's E3 Press Conference and revealed The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, the latest installment in the long running franchise, and the first console Zelda release in four years. Skyward Sword will require the Wii Motion Plus accessory and,  as a result, be capable of more accurate motion control experience than the previous Zelda console game. 

Miyamoto demonstrated several of the various new gameplay in the game. Sword control is mapped to the Wii remote, but, like the sword fighting found in Wii Sports Resort, Skyward Sword will allow you to move the sword around by tilting and moving the Wii remote (instead of the "waggle-as-button press" movement of the previous Zelda game).  This allowed for more dynamic sword moves (instead of canned animation for sword moves). To demonstrate the improved sword control, Miyamoto showed off a monster who had to be confused by waving the sword around in a circle to dizzy the monster. By simply rotating the Wii Remote,  Link was able to spin the sword in the game world, with the monster following the rotation of the sword until it was dizzied. 

In fact, it sounds like many of the gameplay design choices found in Wii Sports Resort will make their way into Skyward Sword. You'll be able to fire slingshot pebbles in a way very similar to the archery found in  
Resort.  

Skyward Sword also boasts a much simpler inventory system than previous Zelda games, replacing the menu with a more functional, full radial wheel from which bombs, boomerangs, and slingshots can be selected and equipped. 

At the end of the demonstration, Miyamoto revealed that the game was still early in development, and won't be out this year. We'll have more information on Skyward Sword as it develops.
#2 Edited by VoshiNova (1752 posts) -

I can't wait!
I need more info!

#3 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

The demo was embarrassing.

#4 Posted by Andrewoh (11 posts) -

It's been a while since I played a Zelda game... i need to end that soon

#5 Posted by Rockdalf (1293 posts) -

Damn it Nintendo, I thought you understood, I CAN'T AFFORD A WII RIGHT NOW.

#6 Posted by Razhole (3 posts) -
@VoshiNova said:
" I need more info! "
Me too!! Probably one of the few Wii games I'm excited about. Hope GoldenEye rocks our socks off too... bit pessimistic after the sub-par Rogue Agent.
#7 Posted by zurichazure (59 posts) -

meh

#8 Posted by Jazz (2321 posts) -

Begging for a Beginning? 
Well,  I hope the Zelda fans like it...

#9 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

So its a sword fighting type of game now? Not a RPG?
#10 Posted by sfighter21 (798 posts) -

YES!!  Too bad I don't have a Wii  :(

#11 Posted by BigDo6 (166 posts) -

Great, that's what Zelda needed, more motion controls. snOOze(!)

#12 Posted by greenblattsam (83 posts) -

Just now worth turning on my wii for the first time for 2 years.

#13 Posted by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

I much preferred the gloomy look of Twilight Princess. 

#14 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Game seems really cool, but that HUD looks awful. Hopefully there'll be some way to change it.

#15 Posted by SleepyDoughnut (1240 posts) -

Not until next year? I guess I can hold off on my Wii purchase then

#16 Posted by kalmis (1549 posts) -

Yes! Zelda never fails

#17 Posted by mithical (342 posts) -

It's almost impossible for Nintendo to screw up Zelda for me, so I'm still looking foward to it.

#18 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

I think I've played enough Zelda in my lifetime.

#19 Posted by mkasperski (17 posts) -

I just hope its  2011, and not 2012.

#20 Posted by Ryonslaught (28 posts) -

This looks good, it's early in dev and people are already freaking out? when did game players become such drama queens? dwl

#21 Posted by Progman9000 (258 posts) -

Miyamoto's demo was rough.  But hey, more Zelda is never a bad thing.

#22 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -

Even without the "interference" it didn't seem very accurate.

#23 Posted by MeatSim (10939 posts) -

It's interference! really guys! really! 

#24 Edited by Greenshoes (297 posts) -

will it make me get a third console? no

#25 Posted by Chicken008 (397 posts) -

Didn't play too well on stage.

#26 Posted by Hilbert (349 posts) -

Looks pretty.
#27 Edited by Siphillis (1298 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

" I much preferred the gloomy look of Twilight Princess.  "

Agreed.  Skyward Sword looks a bit like Mario Kart Wii. 

Then again, Twilight Princess is probably the most artistic-impressive video game ever.
#28 Posted by JJWeatherman (14570 posts) -

Get hype bitches.

#29 Posted by Dyram (148 posts) -

I'd show those girls my Skyward Sword, if you know what I'm saying.

It had to be said!

#30 Posted by Mourne (789 posts) -

I really hate to see technical errors during live demonstrations, I really do--except this wasn't "interference". This was the Wii.

Everyone has had it happen, when the Wii loses track of the Wiimote in its sensor's comfort zone. Miyamoto was just the latest victim.

#31 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

While the demo was kinda funny, the game looks fucking awesome.  I also love the super bright colors of the game.  It feels like something new.

#32 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -

Zelda looked awesome!

#33 Posted by bananas (106 posts) -

#34 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2501 posts) -

I'm yet to play a Zelda game with rendered 3D graphics & I was really hoping this would be my moment. That demo was really rough & kind of a bummer, not what I was expecting from all the talk I'd been hearing about how Zelda games needed to be re-thought. Still I have high hopes, there's no way that thing will be released if it's busted.

#35 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

I was hoping for a darker, more cinematic tone, but hey, we still got a new Zelda game.

#36 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@BigDo6 said:
" Great, that's what Zelda needed, more motion controls. snOOze(!) "
This.
It was really just TP, minus the dog bits and with more motion controls.

=/
I was hoping for the Zelda in space.
#37 Posted by CyleMoore (495 posts) -

If Nintendo was a girl and I was fucking her it would have been the best sex of my life after watching their press conference.

#38 Posted by Faint (833 posts) -

same old stuff. am much more excited about the metal gear solid rising sword controls than this. zelda portable has always trumped zelda on consoles, which just cant compete with other major titles such as mass effect, gears etc for production quality, in my opinion. sure they have some neat puzzles but lots of games do these days. zelda needs to evolve like mario in mario galaxy.

#39 Posted by hagridore (500 posts) -

I feel like I've played enough Zelda. If this game has an identical progression to the others, I can miss it. 

Prove me wrong, Nintendo!

#40 Posted by Kajaah117 (1070 posts) -

Zelda looks awesome, we all know this. 

More important is the sound Miyamoto was making when he couldn't shoot the spiders with the slingshot. =P

#41 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Raven_Sword said:
" So its a sword fighting type of game now? Not a RPG? "
Zelda was never an RPG..
#42 Posted by Okari (168 posts) -

I love the art style, but man those controls. The only good part about TPs' controls was the IR pointer. Now they removed it, and replaced it with a shaky alternative. Like the 3DS, I wish there was some way to turn off motion controls in Wii games.

#43 Posted by LordKorax (278 posts) -

Is this the "beggining" of the absence of spell-check?

#44 Posted by gomez (5 posts) -

Watching miyamoto struggle with the controls terrified me. i thought he was going to throw the controller.

#45 Posted by ChristOnIce (71 posts) -

It certainly looks like every Zelda game since Ocarina.  The Wii can supposedly do now what it was supposed to do five years ago, and apparently this is supposed to make the same re-hash of the same game feel new.  It's hard to tell who is the lazier lot: Nintendo or the fans that refuse to demand more of Nintendo.

#46 Posted by masterpaperlink (1873 posts) -

The game looked ok, i have hope that it will turn out good.

#47 Posted by Wicked_Wumpus (175 posts) -

I want this game!

#48 Posted by hpv (177 posts) -

I'm really looking forward to seeing more hands on demos of this thing.  The issues in the press conference demo are kind of troubling but hopefully that was just the issues with the hardware.  Link's animations while locked on looked kind of crap though. 

I'd also hope that they have an option for a left handed Link.  It was silly to flip the handedness for Twilight Princess but this could actually be a problem for our lefty homeboys since the sword swinging isn't just waggle this time around. 

But wow, what a show from Nintendo.  That was the first E3 press conference that they've done since debuting Wii that actually got me excited for Nintendo games.

#49 Posted by Avisole (24 posts) -

I wish Nintendo would make a Zelda game with graphics from this generation...you know...not on the Wii.

#50 Posted by EightBitShik (1342 posts) -

Zelda zzzzzz

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.