Weirdly excited about this game.

#1 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

At the start of the year I wouldn't think that Skyward Sword would be one of my more anticipated games of the year however, waiting for this game makes me feel like a little kid again, last time I waited for a game with this much anticipatory glee was probably San Andreas way back in the day.

The weird part is that I don't even know why I am looking forward to this game so much, I know next to nothing about it, and I didn't particularly care for Twilight Princess.

Is there anyone who feels the same way as I do? or am I just crazy?

#2 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

sure looks good. but for me it means i have to buy another Wii to play it. so going to hunt on ebay for a dirty second hand one someone is basically throwing away.

no other game interest me on the Wii so it would purely be for zelda. don't really want to spend more that £50 on one

#3 Posted by Packie (255 posts) -

After playing Twilight Princess, my first Zelda game, I'm definitely looking forward to Skyward Sword.

#4 Posted by BoG (5188 posts) -

I am too. I remember coming to a point in life a few years ago where I could only be excited to a point about any given game. In my younger years, I was crazy excited for everything. I feel like I'm in middle school again as I wait for this game.

#5 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I'm really stoked for it too. Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game and TP was just so damn boring.

#6 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -

There's nothing weird about it.

I'm super pumped for it and I don't even own a Wii.

#7 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

Check out the wiki and some of the other forum threads.

@FancySoapsMan said:

There's nothing weird about it. I'm super pumped for it and I don't even own a Wii.

They'll be dirt cheap by Christmas, think about it, most retailers will see this as the last hurrah and opportunity to make some more money on it.

Over here they've already slashed it's price by another £40 in time for Christmas.

I'd buy one second-hand, or borrow one.

#8 Posted by IBurningStar (2172 posts) -

I'm actually really excited as well and I don't know why. It pretty much looks like a straight up Zelda-ass Zelda game, and that is a formula that I am getting a bit burnt out on. Yet I am excited. Maybe I am just buying into all the hype about how this one is supposedly going to be different and how it is about fifty hours long., and all that other jazz. Still, the game looks gorgeous and like a colorful, lighthearted departure from many of this month's releases. So somehow that has hooked me into buying it, despite the fact that I am not exactly sure why.

#9 Posted by Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497 (559 posts) -

When I sold my Wii in 2009 I knew damn well that I would regret it when Zelda came out. But I'm not going to get another just for this. Call me kooky but I have suspicions that we'll see a Wii-U version at some point.

#10 Posted by spankingaddict (2670 posts) -

The only time I've been this shakinly anticipated was my anticipation of Twilight Princess. Only Nintendo can hit this very,very sweat spot.

#11 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5256 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
I'm really stoked for it too. Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game and TP was just so damn boring.
I even went back to TP (Gamecube proper of course) and still couldn't get through it even though I do appreciate what they tried to do with the game.

With that said, Skyward Sword can't come soon enough.
#12 Posted by masterpaperlink (1841 posts) -

Feel exactly the same, its kind of sad that as much as i hate Nintendo, they have become the only developer who can truly get me excited for any game. They got me when i was young so now they are the only ones who can evoke that childlike anticipation. EVIL

#13 Posted by redbliss (647 posts) -

I have never been excited for any Zelda game. I enjoy watching others play the games because they seem to enjoy them, and I can appreciate the speedrun community behind the old Zelda games, but I really cannot get into the games myself. I think it is because I never played Zelda games when I was younger, so because I dont have that memory I am just left with a game that really doesnt feel that great to be honest. Maybe Skyward Sword will be different, but I dont know how different it could be.

#14 Posted by NickLott (793 posts) -

I was all set not to care about this game but seeing all the glowing early buzz has me interested. My wii is not only not hooked up, I'm not sure if it's even in my house. I think I'll just wait and see if they release an enhanced HD version for WiiU.

#15 Posted by bkbroiler (1624 posts) -

I'm getting excited too. Haven't played a Wii game since Super Mario Galaxy 2, and I barely played that. Almost don't consider it a console now, so it's strange that I'm thinking about pre-ordering it. Never been all that into Zelda, either... but I don't know. Kind of getting hyped!

#16 Posted by Patman99 (1581 posts) -

I am excited too. Well, actually I am more excited to see if my Wii still actually works but the game will be good too...

#17 Posted by Dogma (961 posts) -

I have stopped tricking myself into that Zelda isn't for me. I have played and loved all the Zelda games since the series took the step into 3D land. I have of course played the earlier ones too but the 3D Zelda games have clicked with me more. I have a very wierd relationship with the series because I tend to not get exited about them until just before they get released. Mabey I should blame Nintendo that they keep much stuff secret untill the last minute and many times produce crappy trailers.

I had no hype whatsoever of Wind Waker but that game made me come out of my only game depression I had through all these years. I was sceptical but after playing the game for hours and realizing that the clock was 05 AM two days in row I came to the conclusion that I really dig the series. When I'm actually playing the game I love it and plow through it. Same thing with Twilight Princess (played it 11 hours in a row) and just like the others Skyward Sword was hard getting exited about until recently. But who am I kidding? Of course I will play and enjoy Links new adventure. The Zelda epics are one of the greatest games out there, I just wish they were better at getting me hyped so I don't have to question them beforehand.

#18 Posted by SolidTexture (25 posts) -

Yea, something just clicked a couple of weeks ago. I can not wait to jump into this new adventure.

#19 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Hmm okay, my excitement has been pretty much completely dampened after reading the GB review, probably going to cancel my preorder now, not buying a wii mote + just for this game, doesn't seem to be worth it.

#20 Posted by Boboblaw (290 posts) -
@Prodstep:
The review is REALLY positive about it and 4/5 is still a great score.

I can't wait for it, way more excited for this then anything else thats been out this year.
#21 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

@Boboblaw: That review really didn't seem all that positive about it, it was pretty much a nonstop stream of complaints.

#22 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -
@Prodstep Considering the majority of the positives in the review center around how good the combat is then motion plus would defo seem worth it

"Link’s sword is front and center here, with only a few of the gadgets playing into combat. Mastery of the sword is of utmost importance. It’s strange to spend so much time talking on and on about combat in a Zelda game, but it’s no longer about smashing on the attack button anymore. Quite literally, you are part of combat, and motion controls, done well, provides a satisfaction that wouldn’t be possible any other way. This is the finest example yet."

People are strange with review scores the day they disapear and we are left with only written reviews will be a good day

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.