Zelda? More Like Celda! ;_;

• 92 results
#1 Posted by Doomed (275 posts) -

I miss you, Celda (the cel-shaded art style of Wind Waker). Your haters were vocal but small in number. Now you listened to the bullies and we have bloom, Beautiful Katamari, and 3D Dot Game Heroes mashed together.

People would be mad no matter what. At least with the other way I'd get what I wanted.

#2 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7097 posts) -

That HD remake looks absolutely gorgeous. I never got to play it as I had a PS2 instead of a GameCube but today's announcements made me really want a Wii-U

#3 Posted by casper_ (915 posts) -

yeah WW was my favorite zelda game and i dont think anyone has even come close to pulling off that kind of look as well until ni no kuni.

leave it to the diehards to make everything boring.

#4 Posted by Tylea002 (2382 posts) -

Celda is an amazing pun, that makes me jealous for not thinking of it first.

That's all I have to say.

#5 Posted by Ravenlight (8057 posts) -

Can we just copy and paste the entire internet from ten years ago into this game's forum and call it good?

#6 Posted by Scooper (7920 posts) -
  1. Zelda fans scream for Wind Waker HD Remake
  2. Zelda fans get Wind Waker HD Remake
  3. Zelda fans are up in arms about Wind Waker HD Remake
#7 Edited by project343 (2884 posts) -
Dat ridiculous overuse of bloom...

Oh god. My eyes.

Personally, I think alternative methods for experiencing Wind Waker in higher resolution with various additional visual enhancements may be a better way to experience this game. The bloom, colour choice and lighting just shit all over that game's art style. For reference:

Perhaps the 'better' Wind Waker HD?
#8 Edited by C0V3RT (1393 posts) -

I kind of got nailed to the cross in Alex's article for saying WW is criminally bad, it may be a bit harsh but for me personally, it's one of my least favorite games in the franchise and represents what is maybe the biggest let down I've ever had in terms of expectations not being met.

My love of the franchise makes me happy it's getting remade and will play it. It looks beautiful. However, the fan in me is lukewarm at best about WW being the choice of game to remake. To each their own though.

#9 Posted by TobbRobb (5243 posts) -

Damn that looks pretty. So weird though.

I mean, the one game that holds up when upscaled is the one that gets actually remade? What about games that look like garbage in HD... Though really, all remakes should get this treatment.

#10 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (5013 posts) -

Looks like Team Fortress 2 but with more bloom. I'll wait to see it in motion before deciding if I hate it or not. So far I still prefer the HD Wind Waker I can play on the Dolphin emulator.

#11 Posted by egg (1621 posts) -

@project343 said:

Oh god. My eyes.

What a nightmare.. I will laugh if it's 30 fps like Skyward Sword.

#12 Posted by project343 (2884 posts) -

@egg said:

What a nightmare.. I will laugh if it's 30 fps like Skyward Sword.

Looking at how low-res those textures are, I'd imagine they should (hopefully... right?) be able to hit a solid framerate.

#13 Posted by Superkenon (1568 posts) -

Wind Waker could've been one of my favorite Zeldas, but all that filler in the end is hard to reconcile (especially since it's apparent that it exists in place of what would have been three more dungeons, that were sadly cut to make release). It's a glaring wound on an otherwise great, and utterly beautiful Zelda game.

All the same, I'll definitely play this.

#14 Posted by MedalOfMode (314 posts) -

@project343: What's name of this animation movie?

#15 Posted by project343 (2884 posts) -

@MedalOfMode: Nintendo: We've Finally Discovered Modern Hardware & Need to Overuse the Tacky Features They Enable. A really solid documentary, I must say. (If this is a serious question, here you go?)

#16 Posted by Fattony12000 (7976 posts) -

It's already in HD, thanks Nintendo!

Loading Video...
#17 Posted by TooWalrus (13344 posts) -

@Fattony12000: @project343: Improper aspect rations will always and have always bugged the hell out of me. The UI & HUD in Dolphin would drive me absolutely insane.

...I skipped 13 minutes into the video, and this dude is SO bad with the wind waker it's embarrassing.

#18 Posted by dungbootle (2501 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@Fattony12000: @project343: Improper aspect rations will always and have always bugged the hell out of me. The UI & HUD in Dolphin would drive me absolutely insane.

...I skipped 13 minutes into the video, and this dude is SO bad with the wind waker it's embarrassing.

That's Fattony himself you jerk.

#19 Edited by project343 (2884 posts) -

@TooWalrus: Oh, it isn't perfect. There are bugs everywhere and yea, the UI is a little silly. That said, doesn't take a dump all over the beautiful aesthetic of the game. Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask need HD remakes 'far' more than Wind Waker.

#20 Posted by TooWalrus (13344 posts) -

@project343 said:

@TooWalrus: Oh, it isn't perfect. There are bugs everywhere and yea, the UI is a little silly. That said, doesn't take a dumb all over the beautiful aesthetic of the game. Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask need HD remakes 'far' more than Wind Waker.

Oh, I absolutely agree with you there. I'd love to play Majora's Mask on my 3DS and the fact that they haven't announced that yet is weird to me, since I'd assume half the work is already done. I actually bought a copy of MM & the N64 expansion pack, only to dig my N64 out of the basement to find that it's broken- games are too blurry to play on it. I need to buy a new one eventually...

#21 Posted by iAmJohn (6166 posts) -

Guys it's ten fucking months away. I'm going to venture a guess and say it's not done and it's probably too early to judge.

#22 Edited by Fattony12000 (7976 posts) -

@TooWalrus: It's me. LOL.

There's a weird thing that happens with Dolphin when emulating the GameCube pad; where C left and C right are flipped on the Xbox 360 stick! Took me a minute to figure out what the hell was going on, and then to make some on-the-fly changes in the software!

I could totes roll 4:3, or get those fancy fanmade texture packs that reskin the UI and buttons to look all nice and 16:9y. For that video, I just felt like sitting back and playing a version of WW that fills my HDTV.

#23 Posted by TooWalrus (13344 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

Guys it's ten fucking months away. I'm going to venture a guess and say it's not done and it's probably too early to judge.

Nah, watch me. WIND WAKER IS AMAZING AND NEW VISUALS MAKE IT EVEN BETTER 5/5 STARS.

#24 Posted by Binarynova (155 posts) -

@project343 said:

Personally, I think alternative methods for experiencing Wind Waker in higher resolution with various additional visual enhancements may be a better way to experience this game. The bloom, colour choice and lighting just shit all over that game's art style.

I see what you did there, and I have to agree. :)

#25 Edited by Encephalon (1439 posts) -

Late-game collectathon aside, the original look of Wind Waker is fucking rad! This HD Remake is NOT CANON.

Edit: Still might actually be worth it if they cut anything related to hunting triforce shards.

#26 Posted by TooWalrus (13344 posts) -

@Fattony12000: I've messed around with Dolphin. It's good stuff. I wish I could find an HD 4:3 monitor somewhere. Like, 1440x1080.

#27 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -

As usual, I'll wait and see. 

Still excited though, great game.

#28 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3218 posts) -

People are complaining about an HD Remake of the best AND Best looking Zelda game? If they still have that bad-ass Ganon fight at the end, then there's nothing to whine about, in my opinion. Also, it looks good.

#29 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

What decade is this? What timewarp created this thread?

#30 Posted by mooncheese114 (17 posts) -

The wind waker does not actually need an HD remake, It's art style has aged very well so you wouldn't see a significant difference. It would, however be awesome if Nintendo did something similar to what Sega did with Jet Set Radio, and put it on the WiiU shop for 15$, and focus more on improving frame rates and load times, rather than textures.

#31 Posted by project343 (2884 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

Ten months is 'not' a lot of time. And seeing as how they're only showing off this particular island, I'd imagine they consider this island to be mostly 'complete' from a visual standpoint (otherwise, why would they show it off exclusively?).

#32 Posted by chrissedoff (2245 posts) -
#33 Posted by DeF (5236 posts) -

Wow, there are really people who find a reason to hate everything.

This shit's starting to not be fun anymore, guys.

#34 Posted by WasabiCurry (430 posts) -

Needs more bloom!!!

Anyways, I loved the original Wind Waker as a kid. Good times! I think I will stick with my Gamecube version which I still have.

#35 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1806 posts) -

The bloom looks like a bit much, but with any luck it’s toned down before release. Then again, I’m sporadically replaying Twilight Princess, and it shipped with some gratuitous over-use of bloom.

As one might guess from my avatar, I’m a big fan of The Wind Waker. I’ll be the first to tell you what’s wrong with it, but it’s got a fantastic art style, soundtrack, and sense of adventure. I’ve got more fond memories of it than perhaps any other game besides Ocarina of Time.

#36 Posted by Superfriend (1655 posts) -

There are like two screenshots out for the remake, right? How the fuck do you people already shit all over it?

I loved Windwaker and I kinda hope this is the remake this game needs. Put in one or five endgame dungeons and let us get the triforce pieces that way- Windwaker deserves it.

#37 Posted by Hizang (9359 posts) -

@project343 said:

Fuck me

Oh god. My eyes.

#38 Edited by Fattony12000 (7976 posts) -

@dungbootle said:

@TooWalrus said:

That's Fattony himself you jerk.

I think we should all pick on that total nerd Fattony12000! Booo! Booooooooooooooooo, I say!

#39 Posted by huser (1201 posts) -

I'm really curious about the rethinking playing by yourself bit. If Tetra is a co-op player this might just be too awesome.

#40 Posted by MrXD (266 posts) -

It's nice to see Wind Walker getting a HD Remake but:

@project343 said:

Oh god. My eyes.

Come on, what's with all them blooms man.

#41 Posted by Jimbo (10280 posts) -

Celda. Brilliant.

#42 Posted by Doomed (275 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

Totally. They will make a brand new art style only to completely throw it away and just use the original's graphics.

@project343 said:

Personally, I think alternative methods for experiencing Wind Waker in higher resolution with various additional visual enhancements may be a better way to experience this game. The bloom, colour choice and lighting just shit all over that game's art style.

My computer can't run Dolphin well. It will be at least two years, maybe even five, before I upgrade my PC. I was hoping an official remake would both remove the need for alternative means and be free of the small number of bugs that plague the emulated version.

@C0V3RT said:

I kind of got nailed to the cross in Alex's article for saying WW is criminally bad, it may be a bit harsh but for me personally, it's one of my least favorite games in the franchise and represents what is maybe the biggest let down I've ever had in terms of expectations not being met.

My love of the franchise makes me happy it's getting remade and will play it. It looks beautiful. However, the fan in me is lukewarm at best about WW being the choice of game to remake. To each their own though.

Ocarina of Time already got a remake. Twilight Princess is only 6 years old and Skyward Sword just came out. "Remaking" 2D games would be very time-consuming if they wanted to use 2D art.

@TooWalrus said:

@project343 said:

@TooWalrus: Oh, it isn't perfect. There are bugs everywhere and yea, the UI is a little silly. That said, doesn't take a dumb all over the beautiful aesthetic of the game. Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask need HD remakes 'far' more than Wind Waker.

Oh, I absolutely agree with you there. I'd love to play Majora's Mask on my 3DS and the fact that they haven't announced that yet is weird to me, since I'd assume half the work is already done. I actually bought a copy of MM & the N64 expansion pack, only to dig my N64 out of the basement to find that it's broken- games are too blurry to play on it. I need to buy a new one eventually...

3DS will get Majora's Mask 3D in the same vein as Ocarina of Time 3D towards the end of its lifespan (perhaps with a new Zelda game on 3DS in the meantime). Mark my words. As you say, most of the work is already done.

@Jimbo said:

Celda. Brilliant.

I thought this was a common disparagement back when Wind Waker first got announced?

PRIMARY SOURCE

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/10/11

#43 Posted by BoOzak (1047 posts) -

Personally I thought DmC's use of bloom was worse.

#44 Posted by project343 (2884 posts) -

@BoOzak said:

Personally I thought DmC's use of bloom was worse.

Bloom makes everything hazy and dreamlike. I think that works perfectly with DmC's aesthetic. The draw of celshading is that it looks so crisp and vibrant... the hazy, fuzzy look takes away from that.

#45 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (5013 posts) -

Criticizing the overuse of bloom is considered to be "hate" now? Ugh, this site community and its fucking need for hyperbole.

#46 Edited by RE_Player1 (7950 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

Criticizing the overuse of bloom is considered to be "hate" now? Ugh, this site and it's fucking need for hyperbole.

This.

#47 Posted by ViciousReiven (907 posts) -

The cel-shading never bothered me, I just don't like the art style, big headed Link has always looked stupid.  
though I'd much rather play pretty much any of the other 3D Zelda games in terms of gameplay, sailing for minutes on end is so boring.

#48 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1169 posts) -

Wind Waker really was the DmC of its day, wasn't it?

#49 Posted by OllyOxenFree (5008 posts) -

Can't please everybody. If they just used the same cel-shading, then the same upscaled HD improvement could be achieved with software such as the Dolphin emulator. At least this is something different along with some other mentioned tweaks.

#50 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1169 posts) -

In terms of tweaks, they should make Link right-handed; thus tying it back to the animated series, the CD-i games, and the naff version of Twilight Princess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.