Zelda? More Like Celda! ;_;

  • 92 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Posted by TruthTellah (8535 posts) -

Oh no, concept renders for a HD remake don't look exactly as some people wanted.

I'm pretty certain the people who made the game beautiful will know how to make it even better in higher definition.

#52 Posted by DeF (4799 posts) -

@huser said:

I'm really curious about the rethinking playing by yourself bit. If Tetra is a co-op player this might just be too awesome.

That has nothing to do with the Wind Waker HD remake. That comment was directed at the NEXT original Zelda for Wii U.

#53 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

This thread is like 8 years old. Close it.

#54 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1439 posts) -

@Superkenon:

That game is full of dungeon sized holes, it's a shame they shipped it with so much obvious cut content. The most blatant is what would be the third dungeon but instead Jabun just straight up gives you Nayru's Pearl.

#55 Posted by ajamafalous (11848 posts) -
@msavo said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

Criticizing the overuse of bloom is considered to be "hate" now? Ugh, this site and it's fucking need for hyperbole.

This.

Yep.
 
 
Also, game still looks way better on Dolphin.
#56 Edited by Ben_H (3310 posts) -

I busted out a CRT TV to play SNES, I should really play the original Wind Waker again. I went to a while back but it looked horrible on an HDTV (All my GC and PS2 games looked way to fuzzy. Persona 4 was the worst, the fog was too much on an HDTV.) 
 
Edit: and no I am not going to pirate it and play it on the Dolphin emulator.

#57 Posted by masterpaperlink (1829 posts) -

my all time favourite game, this is great.

Though I feel like a lot more thought went into the old colour palette its ok, they should change whatever is necessary.

#58 Posted by Bribo (592 posts) -

If they don't fix it so you can see Link's eyebrows through his hair, then fuck this game.

#59 Posted by Shaka999 (453 posts) -

Love the wind waker art style and the game looks pretty. If only I didn't find the game so boring.

#60 Posted by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

@project343:

Not serious dude.

#61 Posted by awadnin (275 posts) -

I can't wait E3 2013 to see more about this game, I believe it will be gorgeous!

#62 Posted by Bane122 (783 posts) -

@Ben_H: You can rip your discs and have dolphin play them, no piracy needed.

Man, this thread takes me back to those days. So many people were losing their shit at the art style. Meanwhile the night the game came out all of my friends and I were huddled around the TV amazed that if you pushed the analog stick slowly, you could see Link's eyes move in whichever direction you pushed the stick.

#63 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11476 posts) -

Wind Waker is a fantastic game and entirely deserving of a remake. Now if only they put in those dungeons they cut instead of that stupid triforce hunt at the end.

#64 Edited by ch3burashka (5009 posts) -

Nintendo is Cellink out.

#65 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (603 posts) -

I think bloom looks GREAT...sucks so many people like to hate things, probably makes them feel better about themselves.

#66 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

I bet they will remove that triforce hunt at the end and replace it with 2 more dungeons.

#67 Posted by PandaBear (1303 posts) -

@Simplexity said:

I bet they will remove that triforce hunt at the end and replace it with 2 more dungeons.

I bet they touch nothing about the core of the game.

#68 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

@PandaBear said:

@Simplexity said:

I bet they will remove that triforce hunt at the end and replace it with 2 more dungeons.

I bet they touch nothing about the core of the game.

Let me dream damnit.

#69 Posted by PandaBear (1303 posts) -

@Simplexity said:

@PandaBear said:

@Simplexity said:

I bet they will remove that triforce hunt at the end and replace it with 2 more dungeons.

I bet they touch nothing about the core of the game.

Let me dream damnit.

NinetnDON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR DREAMS!

#70 Posted by BisonHero (6169 posts) -

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@Superkenon:

That game is full of dungeon sized holes, it's a shame they shipped it with so much obvious cut content. The most blatant is what would be the third dungeon but instead Jabun just straight up gives you Nayru's Pearl.

Yeah, that bugged me way more than whatever dungeons they purportedly cut near the end of the game and replaced with the Triforce scavenger hunt. Seriously, the map tile that should contain Jabun's island is just full of wreckage, and might as well be an empty map tile aside from like one treasure chest you can get to. What a bummer.

#71 Posted by sungahymn (986 posts) -

@PandaBear said:

@Simplexity said:

@PandaBear said:

@Simplexity said:

I bet they will remove that triforce hunt at the end and replace it with 2 more dungeons.

I bet they touch nothing about the core of the game.

Let me dream damnit.

NinetnDON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR DREAMS!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#72 Posted by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@project343 said:

Fuck me

Dat ridiculous overuse of bloom...

Oh god. My eyes.

Why they used that shade of green... I'll never know.

#73 Posted by Superkenon (1391 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@Superkenon:

That game is full of dungeon sized holes, it's a shame they shipped it with so much obvious cut content. The most blatant is what would be the third dungeon but instead Jabun just straight up gives you Nayru's Pearl.

Yeah, that bugged me way more than whatever dungeons they purportedly cut near the end of the game and replaced with the Triforce scavenger hunt. Seriously, the map tile that should contain Jabun's island is just full of wreckage, and might as well be an empty map tile aside from like one treasure chest you can get to. What a bummer.

It was definitely glaring. I remember going there expecting a place as substantial as Dragon Roost or Forest Haven... but then you're sent on a backtracking quest instead. Come to think of it, from that point on, you really don't see any other new locales, aside from Hyrule and the dungeons.

I always hoped that they'd go back and 'complete' the game, make it as it should've been. It'll never happen, but ah well. Maybe the new 'luster' they add will make some of the areas feel less unfinished?

#74 Posted by RVonE (4603 posts) -

Twilight Princess or bust. A Majora's Mask is fine too.

#75 Posted by BisonHero (6169 posts) -
@Superkenon

@BisonHero said:

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@Superkenon:

That game is full of dungeon sized holes, it's a shame they shipped it with so much obvious cut content. The most blatant is what would be the third dungeon but instead Jabun just straight up gives you Nayru's Pearl.

Yeah, that bugged me way more than whatever dungeons they purportedly cut near the end of the game and replaced with the Triforce scavenger hunt. Seriously, the map tile that should contain Jabun's island is just full of wreckage, and might as well be an empty map tile aside from like one treasure chest you can get to. What a bummer.

It was definitely glaring. I remember going there expecting a place as substantial as Dragon Roost or Forest Haven... but then you're sent on a backtracking quest instead. Come to think of it, from that point on, you really don't see any other new locales, aside from Hyrule and the dungeons.

I always hoped that they'd go back and 'complete' the game, make it as it should've been. It'll never happen, but ah well. Maybe the new 'luster' they add will make some of the areas feel less unfinished?

The names escape me, but when you think about it, the game only has 5 islands with significant detail and a number of plot events: Outset Island, Forbidden Fortress (name?), Windfall Island (name?), Dragon Roost, and Forest Haven. I guess the new look of the game might've caused the environment designers to take longer or something, because there really aren't many overworld locales.
#76 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4632 posts) -

I don't understand why people are saying this remake looks great when all we have is the concept art from that video. If they do go in that direction for this remake though, I'll stick with the original.

#77 Posted by Superkenon (1391 posts) -

@BisonHero: Yet in that regard, I'd say it still does better than Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. TP had Ordon Village, Hyrule Castle Town, a barely-functional Kakariko, and a just-kinda-there DEATH MOUNTAIN W/ GORONS and Zora's Domain, "Gerudo Desert"... plenty of places, sure, but I feel like WW's Windfall Island had more going on in it than all of those locations combined. Meanwhile, Skyward Sword had ... ... ... Skyloft. Haha.

I've had fun with every game, but I hope they start going back more in the direction of Ocarina with all of its well-realized locales that painted a good, solid picture of Hyrule... rather than these separated ghost-town sections that don't feel like they go together. Even Wind Waker, for its relative lack for set pieces, did a good job at creating a world you could invest yourself in.

Aaaand there was my unprovoked mini-rant on the subject.

Basically, everything that's actually in Wind Waker, I love to pieces (never mind the triforce quest) -- so it's kinda hard to justify my complaints. The stuff's great. But when the holes are so apparent, it's still difficult to not be disappointed about what could'a been.

#78 Posted by BisonHero (6169 posts) -

@Superkenon: Yeah, I think people grossly exaggerate the triforce quest at the end of Wind Waker. It wasn't that long, and it's something you were sort of already working away at while doing the dungeons leading up to it. It's not like the game completely bars you from doing any part of it until you've done the preceding dungeons, then suddenly goes "Here are these 8 locations, now go find the 8 charts and 8 triforce pieces". I seem to recall already having 1 or 2 of them in the bag while I was out working my way through the Earth and Wind dungeons. Was the triforce quest a good part of the game? No, not really, but I think the pacing would've felt sort of off if it wasn't there, and you just strolled right into the Ganondorf final encounter after doing a mere 2 dungeons.

And I agree, Kakariko was a joke in Twilight Princess. I'm sure at some earlier point in development that it wasn't going to be an abandoned ghost town (isn't there already a completely separate ghost town in the north part of Hyrule?), and then at some point they said "Fuck it, we keep delaying this game despite it being the most unoriginal Zelda ever, so let's basically cut Kakariko to take some work off our hands". So much wasted dev time on all those one-off Wolf Link missions to un-twilight-realm an area that I don't think anybody particularly liked anyway.

#79 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@C0V3RT said:

I kind of got nailed to the cross in Alex's article for saying WW is criminally bad, it may be a bit harsh but for me personally, it's one of my least favorite games in the franchise and represents what is maybe the biggest let down I've ever had in terms of expectations not being met.

My love of the franchise makes me happy it's getting remade and will play it. It looks beautiful. However, the fan in me is lukewarm at best about WW being the choice of game to remake. To each their own though.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I WANTED to like The Windwaker. i even pre-ordered it for the gamecube when it came out. And I DID LOVE it until I got in that awful, stupid boat. 
 
The more zelda games that come out, the more I feel like the series is built to appeal to kids who have no limit on time, infinite patience for repetition, and little to compare the series to. 
 
Having to constantly play the song to change the wind was a complete deal breaker. I feel like it's appaling that they would ask a gamer to do that every single time and watch the 20 second animation or whatever anytime you wanted to change direction. It's insane.
#80 Posted by BisonHero (6169 posts) -

@JazGalaxy said:

The more zelda games that come out, the more I feel like the series is built to appeal to kids who have no limit on time, infinite patience for repetition, and little to compare the series to.

That sounds more like Pokemon and Dragon Quest to me.

The Zelda series still has potential, though yes, the last 2 or 3 console entries have barely changed, and when they do finally change something, you can't even congratulate Nintendo because they fix something that should've already been updated in the previous game. Nintendo seems doubly blinded:

  • I feel like they've never actually understood why Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time captured the imaginations of a generation of kids so they ended up taking it in a different direction. The sense of adventure is lost when it's the same damn thing every time.
  • They also seem to exist in this ivory tower where they ignore design advances in the game industry, both Japanese and Western. The structure of Zelda games is still basically unchanged from Ocarina of Time, and by the time Skyward Sword rolled around, it feels ridiculous that you're playing this games that might as well be an HD remake of an N64 game. People said Duke Nukem Forever acted as if no other FPS had been make since Duke Nukem 3D, and Rock Paper Shotgun said that The Cave "is from a parallel universe [...] where no one ever invented the puzzle-platformer, and this is humanity’s first go at the genre". Those games get blasted for ignoring the advances in their genre, yet Zelda does the same thing and flourishes on this weird infinite supply of nostalgia.

All that being said, I do agree that the DS Zelda games are made for kids with infinite time, infinite patience, and not much perspective. The overworld travel is SO SLOW for NO REASON, and there is a lot of grindy bullshit where the game wants you to buy treasure at a low price only to sell it at a high price and then use your thousands of rupees to buy more parts for your vehicle. It's retarded.

#81 Posted by C0V3RT (1351 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@JazGalaxy said:

The more zelda games that come out, the more I feel like the series is built to appeal to kids who have no limit on time, infinite patience for repetition, and little to compare the series to.

All that being said, I do agree that the DS Zelda games are made for kids with infinite time, infinite patience, and not much perspective.

I want to add I felt like a real self loathing ass hole playing Spirit Tracks EVERY TIME I had to use the damn spirit flute.

#82 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I'm confident that the full game will look better upon release, but they really should tone down that soft lighting effect some because it's fucking hideous.

#83 Posted by BisonHero (6169 posts) -

@C0V3RT said:

@BisonHero said:

@JazGalaxy said:

The more zelda games that come out, the more I feel like the series is built to appeal to kids who have no limit on time, infinite patience for repetition, and little to compare the series to.

All that being said, I do agree that the DS Zelda games are made for kids with infinite time, infinite patience, and not much perspective.

I want to add I felt like a real self loathing ass hole playing Spirit Tracks EVERY TIME I had to use the damn spirit flute.

Like, the game made sure to showcase all of of the DS' abilities within the confines of traditional gaming series, except that that's not a compliment because it generally hurt their attempts to make an enjoyable Zelda game. Both games have you draw routes across the barren overworld, at which point your only interaction is mindless tapping on enemies or other obstacles that appear on your minutes-long automated journey. And it still baffles me why the DS has a mic at all, as all any game uses it for is to detect the player blowing on shit. Spirit Tracks has you play the super picky pan flute, use the wind propeller thing, AND a couple people in the fishing village want you (the player) to "respond" into the mic, even though the DS is obviously not a Kinect and has no idea what you're saying.

#84 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@BisonHero said:

@JazGalaxy said:

The more zelda games that come out, the more I feel like the series is built to appeal to kids who have no limit on time, infinite patience for repetition, and little to compare the series to.

That sounds more like Pokemon and Dragon Quest to me.

The Zelda series still has potential, though yes, the last 2 or 3 console entries have barely changed, and when they do finally change something, you can't even congratulate Nintendo because they fix something that should've already been updated in the previous game. Nintendo seems doubly blinded:

  • I feel like they've never actually understood why Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time captured the imaginations of a generation of kids so they ended up taking it in a different direction. The sense of adventure is lost when it's the same damn thing every time.
  • They also seem to exist in this ivory tower where they ignore design advances in the game industry, both Japanese and Western. The structure of Zelda games is still basically unchanged from Ocarina of Time, and by the time Skyward Sword rolled around, it feels ridiculous that you're playing this games that might as well be an HD remake of an N64 game. People said Duke Nukem Forever acted as if no other FPS had been make since Duke Nukem 3D, and Rock Paper Shotgun said that The Cave "is from a parallel universe [...] where no one ever invented the puzzle-platformer, and this is humanity’s first go at the genre". Those games get blasted for ignoring the advances in their genre, yet Zelda does the same thing and flourishes on this weird infinite supply of nostalgia.

All that being said, I do agree that the DS Zelda games are made for kids with infinite time, infinite patience, and not much perspective. The overworld travel is SO SLOW for NO REASON, and there is a lot of grindy bullshit where the game wants you to buy treasure at a low price only to sell it at a high price and then use your thousands of rupees to buy more parts for your vehicle. It's retarded.

What zelda game was i that had that ghost quest where you have to basically retrace your steps through the entirety of the game looking for hidden ghosts and you only see any result if you catch every single one? 
 
I don't see much of a difference between zelda and pokemon at this point. 
 
I think the problem with the series is that Miyamoto got too many perfect 10s on Zelda 64. How does one make a new game that changes the formula that people said was perfect and exactly what they wanted? I don't envy the guy, but as someone who didn't like Z64 much, or at least disliked a lot about it, I wish he would remake the entire series from the ground up.
#85 Edited by BisonHero (6169 posts) -

@JazGalaxy: As much as the Giant Bomb staff jokes about reboots, The Legend of Zelda series really needs one. Like, full on DmC or Tomb Raider reboot. It's just been stagnant for that long. They need to just entirely rebuild how the mechanics work, how the world/game is structured, NOT theme every dungeon forest/fire/water/some-variation-on-dark/some-variation-on-light/ice/desert, and just take the idea of "guy with a sword in a green tunic on an adventure" somewhere totally different. At this point, I kind of hate that "Zelda" is in the title, because I am sick to death of Princess Zelda, Hyrule, Ganondorf, the whole bit.

I basically want a series of Majora's Masks, where each time Link just goes someplace totally different with a totally different motivation and setting and mythology each time. The time limit in Majora's Mask bugged people, but the way you could interact with the townspeople was really progressive compared to the terribly slow progress Zelda games have made since. If they could just do that every time, but also rethink how the movement, combat, items, and world design are structured, maybe Zelda would actually be interesting again.

But they totally don't have to because Zelda sells just fine, and few game reviewers are jaded enough to give the games anything below a 4/5. :(

#86 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@BisonHero said:

@JazGalaxy: As much as the Giant Bomb staff jokes about reboots, The Legend of Zelda series really needs one. Like, full on DmC or Tomb Raider reboot. It's just been stagnant for that long. They need to just entirely rebuild how the mechanics work, how the word/game is structured, NOT theme every dungeon forest/fire/water/some-variation-on-dark/some-variation-on-light/ice/desert, and just take the idea of "guy with a sword in a green tunic on an adventure" somewhere totally different. At this point, I kind of hate that "Zelda" is in the title, because I am sick to death of Princess Zelda, Hyrule, Ganondorf, the whole bit.

I basically want a series of Majora's Masks, where each time Link just goes someplace totally different with a totally different motivation and setting and mythology each time. The time limit in Majora's Mask bugged people, but the way you could interact with the townspeople was really progressive compared to the terribly slow progress Zelda games have made since. If they could just do that every time, but also rethink how the movement, combat, items, and world design are structured, maybe Zelda would actually be interesting again.

But they totally don't have to because Zelda sells just fine, and few game reviewers are jaded enough to give the games anything below a 4/5. :(

Well, I think the problem with the newer Zelda games, in my opinion as a 31 year old, is that Zelda was always supposed to be about exploration. That was the whole point. mario was the linear game, zelda was the exploration game. With Zelda 64 and Mario 64, they basically became the same game. Mario got more explore-y and Zelda got much, much, much more linear. 
 
I think Zelda needs to get back to it's exploration and adventure roots. It needs to become the game it was originally supposed to be, about Miyamoto exploring the woods behind his house as a child. 
 
I agree that I'm sick to death of the characters and the trappings of the series. One of the reasons I was so turned off by Zelda 64 is just because I really, really hated the art style. From link yawning and kicking his feet like a toddler in the opening scene, I was just like "...I hate this". I hated the kokiri music, I hated the "Hey!" fairy, I hated the art style for the environment and I hated the art style for the townspeople. I mean, the townspeople are bizarre and hideous in a way that is almost inexplicable for a country where everything has the same anime style. 
 
I think it would be cool to go one step past spirit tracks and make a steampunk zelda game. Give link some other weapon other than a sword. Like, maybe the master sword gets broken and he has to use it like a flail.  or heck, make him have to use nothing but magic like a full on sorcerer. Make NPC Link get hurt in the middle of his quest and the player plays a completely non-descript friend who has to carry link to the finish line ala' Sam from The Lord of The Rings. Make Link a girl and have to face adversity as the only girl to have to do the "chosen boy" role. Make link black and a foreigner and make everyone look down on him while he's trying to save them. Make the game take place in a densely populated city where one dungeon is under the town mall and another dungeon has been converted into city hall. 
 
There are so many awesome directions the game could go in. I'm just afraid they can't, because for people who played the first three games, the sky's the limit on where they can go, but for people who started playing with Zelda 64, they have a very narrow definition of what Zelda can be.
#87 Posted by BisonHero (6169 posts) -

@JazGalaxy: While we're spinning out ridiculous ideas that would best be handled by someone far crazier and more ambitious than Nintendo, I would love a Zelda game where Link is old. Not "cool" old, I mean like "old" old. Well into his sixties. When he was younger, he completed whatever prophecy and was The Hero and saved the land, but like, then what? He lived out the rest of his days somewhere. Society stabilizes, advances, modernizes, and there are no more looming threats of doom. But as the game starts, Link is still fixated on the old days when the country needed brave knights to save it, and resolves to get on a horse and go confront the (basically nonexistent) monsters threatening the land. He brings a companion along, more of a realist to be a counterpoint to Link's misguided chivalry, and they ride around, encountering stuff that doesn't really need saving, and having weird philosophical conversations.

To get to the point, I want people to start playing what they think is a Zelda game, only to find out halfway through that they've been tricked into playing what is basically a video game adaptation of Don Quixote.

That might be the least marketable game idea I've ever come up with (let's face it, Don Quixote is much harder to make cool than something like Heart of Darkness), but goddamn I wish someone would make something like that.

Also, to address one of your points, I enjoyed Ocarina of Time more than you did, but yeah, I wish they had immediately moved on instead of fixating on it so intensely. But really, if you want to trace it back, the "explore anywhere, do shit in any order" mentality sadly died pretty much right after Zelda for the NES. Even Zelda II and Link to the Past were already quite linear, and restricted both your access to dungeons and how much of the overworld you could explore. Other people have said it, but Dark Souls basically brought NES Zelda into the modern era, where you're just dropped into this tough as nails world and the game goes "fuck it, you figure it out". Dark Souls obviously has a certain progression to it, but it's certainly more open-ended than any Zelda game from the past 15 years.

#88 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@BisonHero said:

@JazGalaxy: While we're spinning out ridiculous ideas that would best be handled by someone far crazier and more ambitious than Nintendo, I would love a Zelda game where Link is old. Not "cool" old, I mean like "old" old. Well into his sixties. When he was younger, he completed whatever prophecy and was The Hero and saved the land, but like, then what? He lived out the rest of his days somewhere. Society stabilizes, advances, modernizes, and there are no more looming threats of doom. But as the game starts, Link is still fixated on the old days when the country needed brave knights to save it, and resolves to get on a horse and go confront the (basically nonexistent) monsters threatening the land. He brings a companion along, more of a realist to be a counterpoint to Link's misguided chivalry, and they ride around, encountering stuff that doesn't really need saving, and having weird philosophical conversations.

To get to the point, I want people to start playing what they think is a Zelda game, only to find out halfway through that they've been tricked into playing what is basically a video game adaptation of Don Quixote.

That might be the least marketable game idea I've ever come up with (let's face it, Don Quixote is much harder to make cool than something like Heart of Darkness), but goddamn I wish someone would make something like that.

Also, to address one of your points, I enjoyed Ocarina of Time more than you did, but yeah, I wish they had immediately moved on instead of fixating on it so intensely. But really, if you want to trace it back, the "explore anywhere, do shit in any order" mentality sadly died pretty much right after Zelda for the NES. Even Zelda II and Link to the Past were already quite linear, and restricted both your access to dungeons and how much of the overworld you could explore. Other people have said it, but Dark Souls basically brought NES Zelda into the modern era, where you're just dropped into this tough as nails world and the game goes "fuck it, you figure it out". Dark Souls obviously has a certain progression to it, but it's certainly more open-ended than any Zelda game from the past 15 years.

Ha! I was actually going to put that "old man link" idea in the middle of those other things I was saying except it sounded too crazy. But, if both you and I would buy it then maybe it would work after all.  
 
I agree that the original zelda was the last go anywhere and do anything zelda game. Honestly, in playing Skyrim I definitely had a moment, when the player initially emerges from the training cave and you can go forward, left or right, when I thought to myself "this is zelda". The ability to truly explore was something I had missed immensely. I don't want Zelda to become Skryrim, but a heaping chunk of it's influence would go a long way. 
 
I really need to play Ocarina Of Time again. I think I had such a strong negative reaction to the game because a) It betrayed what I, at the time, thought to be Zelda in a few major ways and b) everyone was heaping praise on it that i felt was undue. People will still call it a "perfect" game and "the best game of all time" and whatnot, and I think a lot of that soured me on the experience. 
 
The two things I think are key to zelda are exploration and hack and slash combat. Due to the limitations of the N64, the game featured a hub and spoke world system that essentially created levels. You went to a spoke, did the quest, opened the dungeon, got hte weapon to kill the boss, killed the boss and then went back to the hub to get ready to go to the next spoke. Levels.  I felt like that was a huge betrayal of the zelda concept, even if Zelda 2 was similar, in some ways. I also felt like the game featured too many "block to attack" badguys for a series about hacking and slashing. (wait for the skulltullas to turn around and then slash them. Wait for the moblins to turn around and then shoot them. Wait for the leaf guys to shoot you and then block it back at them. Wait for the octarocks to shoot you and then block it back at them. Etc.)
#89 Posted by BisonHero (6169 posts) -

@JazGalaxy: And again, Zelda really needs to drop its obsession with swords of destiny, and just go the Skyrim/Dark Souls route and let you wield whatever. I'm just so tired of every fucking boss fight being "stun the boss using a recently acquired item, then run up and use your sword to actually damage it." WHY WON'T YOU JUST LET ME MURDER THINGS WITH ARROWS IF I WANT?

The last games that actually kinda got this right and let you damage a lot of the bosses with whatevs were Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, but starting with Ocarina of Time, the bosses on both console and handheld Zeldas have been so overdesigned so that there is exactly one way to deal damage to them. I don't care how much effort Ocarina of Time and later games put into the wrestler entrances for each boss where they show off and then it tells you their name; I'm already bored because I have a pretty good idea of exactly what tactic I will need to employ to fight them.

Comparatively, the boss fights in something like Dark Souls actually require you to think and pay attention.

Again, I feel like I am asking too much because Nintendo very much thinks of Zelda as a series for young boys. It would be nice if they made handheld Zeldas appropriate for children and made console Zeldas actually challenging (the handheld ones are already far more simplified than the recent console entries), but I just don't see Nintendo wanting to change that.

#90 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2211 posts) -

I never had a problem with Wind Wakers' art style probably because I was at the age when visuals in a game didn't take precedent. I can't wait for that Wii U Wind Waker HD, it looks so gorgeous and if it comes out before any major Nintendo franchise hits the Wii U then I will buy that console just for it.

#91 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@BisonHero said:

@JazGalaxy: And again, Zelda really needs to drop its obsession with swords of destiny, and just go the Skyrim/Dark Souls route and let you wield whatever. I'm just so tired of every fucking boss fight being "stun the boss using a recently acquired item, then run up and use your sword to actually damage it." WHY WON'T YOU JUST LET ME MURDER THINGS WITH ARROWS IF I WANT?

The last games that actually kinda got this right and let you damage a lot of the bosses with whatevs were Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, but starting with Ocarina of Time, the bosses on both console and handheld Zeldas have been so overdesigned so that there is exactly one way to deal damage to them. I don't care how much effort Ocarina of Time and later games put into the wrestler entrances for each boss where they show off and then it tells you their name; I'm already bored because I have a pretty good idea of exactly what tactic I will need to employ to fight them.

Comparatively, the boss fights in something like Dark Souls actually require you to think and pay attention.

Again, I feel like I am asking too much because Nintendo very much thinks of Zelda as a series for young boys. It would be nice if they made handheld Zeldas appropriate for children and made console Zeldas actually challenging (the handheld ones are already far more simplified than the recent console entries), but I just don't see Nintendo wanting to change that.

Agreed. 
 
I dislike the gimmick puzzle bosses because the fun of puzzles is always in solving them. It's never in executing the solution. So once you figure out what you have to do to beat a boss, the fun part is over. Then just comes the frustration executing on that plan and inevitably having to start all over again when you fail.
#92 Posted by DeF (4799 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda said:

I don't understand why people are saying this remake looks great when all we have is the concept art from that video. If they do go in that direction for this remake though, I'll stick with the original.

It's not concept art. Those are still shots from the game running with a new real-time lighting engine. Models and textures seem to be the same.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.