This game is still beautiful.

• 57 results
#1 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

I just played through Wind Waker for the second time and for a game that came out in 2003 it still looks amazing probably on par with games released today. 
So I guess I wonder why did people take issue with the artstyle, I remember there being massive bitching about it back in the day, can someone enlighten me please?

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13178 posts) -

It really is, isn't it. My 2nd favorite Zelda game, I wish they're release it for 3DS, I'd gladly play it again, I've got a long hospital stay coming up... some sweet jaw surgery.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18956 posts) -
@Prodstep:   People don't like change.  They thought it was to "kiddy" looking.
#4 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10919 posts) -

You know, I kinda scoffed at the art style at the time, but in retrospect, it really was pretty awesome.  

Which is why I like the style of Skyward Sword. Well, I think what I've seen may be a little too bright and happy (because you can do stylized/cartoony and still be dark), but whatever. 

#5 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

It really does look AMAZING. I actually....did...some...stuff and got it running in HD - 1920 x 1080. Oh man, it looks NICE even if it isn't really HD. It still looks really good upscaled.

#6 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

My copy broke ):  Still i beat it twice and got every heart piece, not counting the Nintendo gallery

#7 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

I think it's easily the best Zelda game... cue angry mob of OoT and LttP fans.

#8 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10919 posts) -
@FreakAche said:
" I think it's easily the best Zelda game... cue angry mob of OoT and LttP fans. "
Argh, I'm angry because your opinion is different from mine! Argh!  

You mean like that? 
#9 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

On the PC, it even puts most current gen games to shame.  

(above image doesn't belong to me)
#10 Posted by Spoonman671 (4604 posts) -

I don't think people were really complaining about it not looking good.  It looks great, but it just wasn't what people wanted their Zelda game to look like.

#11 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan: Yeah, that's good enough, I guess.
#12 Posted by Marz (5649 posts) -

cel shading ages pretty well, wind waker is still one of my favorite after a Link to the Past.

#13 Posted by Bribo (599 posts) -

It remains a thing of beauty. Ask anyone and they will agree.

One can only assume that those who howled in protest when the first trailers were revealed, died of asshole.

#14 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -

When it was first shown, I didn't mind the art style. But I did love reading all the hate. Of course I bought it day one and thought the graphics were very simple and clean, probably why it holds up so well today. I also find that most Nintendo released games on the GameCube hold up quite well. I recently purchased F-Zero GX and it still looks sharp.

#15 Posted by Sil3n7 (1188 posts) -

I still adore this game. Oh man is the music good as well.

#16 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -
@Marz said:
" cel shading ages pretty well, wind waker is still one of my favorite after a Link to the Past. "
You and I are on the same wavelength dood.
#17 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Graphically, It is my favorite game of all time. It makes me smile, and its like a feast for the eyes. 
I don't exactly know why people scoffed at the art style, maybe people wanted a more mature Zelda game? 
It isn't my favorite Zelda game but it is very close to it.

#18 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

Youtube videos of Nintendo games like Zelda and Galaxy upscaled make me really sad that there is no HD Nintendo system, because the videos are GORGEOUS.

#19 Posted by august (3836 posts) -

A lot of pubescent kids grew up on the N64 and had a weird idea of what Zelda was "supposed" to look like from Ocarina's non-art style art style.

#20 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -
@august said:
" A lot of pubescent kids grew up on the N64 and had a weird idea of what Zelda was "supposed" to look like from Ocarina's non-art style art style. "
Kids who grew up during the PS and N64 era, seem like the worst when it comes to stuff like that.
#21 Posted by Famov (768 posts) -

In defense of reactionary preteens everywhere, the art style was pretty off putting when the first screens showed Link as some weird munchkin thing.

Of course, I did eventually come to love it along with everyone else. The game itself isn't paced as well as Ocarina, or even Majora's Mask, but it's a lot nicer to look at.

#22 Posted by MegaGoat (219 posts) -
#23 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -
@MegaGoat:  haha I think I love the super tame reply more than the actual post.
#24 Posted by FalseDeity (229 posts) -

I'm glad this Wind Waker appreciation thread exists. I would love to see Zelda go back to that style for a full on console release though that won't happen (Though it's great it came back in some form on the DS).

#25 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

If it hadn't been for the tedious "Find the map shard pieces, now pay extortionate amounts to have them translated, now go find the sword pieces" trial towards the end of the game it'd have probably been one of my favourite Zelda's. The ending is incredible and the dungeons are really great. 

Majora's Mask still owns all as far as I'm concerned.

#26 Posted by shadyspace (458 posts) -
@neoepoch: Oh, I don't know. I was 7 when OOT came out. Played it, loved it, still my favorite game of all time. WW came out when I was 12. Loved the art style from the get go, didn't understand the hate preceding the game's release, played it, loved it.
#27 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -

I agree. It is still a great looking game and I hope another Zelda game comes out like it on consoles. My biggest complaint with the game was that the islands were usually too small for my liking. Other than that, it was an incredibly unique game in the series.

#28 Posted by Soap (3579 posts) -

Definitely my favourite Zelda game, I think people mostly bitched about it because they were lead to believe they were getting the super realistic art style that Nintendo showed off in that promotional video for the gamecube.  

#29 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11642 posts) -

In retrospect, I think I didn't give Wind Waker enough credit. It was better than Majora's Mask, but I was a big fan of Ocarina and in the age group to really not be a fan of Cel Shading. Of course, it took Twilight Princess being kind of a dull rote repetition of every Zelda trope for me to realize that. Nonetheless, that triforce scavenger hunt at the end was... off putting to say the least, and I still am not a huge fan of sailing everywhere. Probably my second favorite game in the series.

#30 Posted by Tricks73r (252 posts) -

Fantastic game. I know everyone else here has said it already, but I'd rather play through this than Twilight Princess any day. 

#31 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Windwaker IS pretty awesome, I played it alot.
It's a shame those two planned temples (levels) didn't make it in.

#32 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

I never really liked the way it looked, but it does hold up pretty well compared to the other games from the same time.

#33 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

shit......i have strong urge to play that game now. Also I noticed that wind waker was hated quite a bit around the time of release but more people are turning around on that way later.

#34 Edited by Clinkz (1118 posts) -

While the art style was cool, (I was one of the teens who semi-raged but still bought it day one) the dungeons were widely forgetable and cruising around in that ship was astoundingly boring especially when you were finding pieces of the triforce. None of the towns had the sprawling population feel that OOT or Majora's Mask had. (Its hard to pass up Clock Town as that was the greatest hub town ever made imo) The game still turned out as a great Zelda game-- just not as great as the others. It did have amazing music though.

The first time I rolled up to Dragon Roost Island and heard the music, I zoned out for 5 straight minutes just listening to the music.   

#35 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
" shit......i have strong urge to play that game now. Also I noticed that wind waker was hated quite a bit around the time of release but more people are turning around on that way later. "
If there is one thing I've learned from the internet, it is that people hates stuff
#36 Edited by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@Kjellm87: It wasn't just the internets, a lot of people I talked to just were turned off on it because of the art style and shit. Only one friend of mine digged it like I did. Oh well, at least people now are appreciating how much of an awesome game it is.......except for the triforce collecting part.......so fucking dumb.
#37 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Wind Waker might be my favourite Zelda game. I loved every bit of it (okay the fetch quest was annoying), from the art and music, to the combat and the dungeons. The ending was fantastic as well. Great stuff.

#38 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Yeah, the game is still a treat to watch, but as others have mentioned, the soundtrack was absolutely fantastic as well.

#39 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@Clinkz: 

ok, that's it. I'm going to find me a fucking copy now. I need to replay this shit!
#40 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -
@Afroman269: 
Yeah I guess I can see that, specially with the expections Nintendo made for Zelda earlier.
Luckly I was one of the guys who didn't mind, because it is a great game
#41 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5254 posts) -
@Clinkz: Yeah dude the music was fucking top notch. Windwaker is still by far one of my favorites, however I am one of those weirdos too that thought Majora's Mask was amazing. 

On topic, it was mostly because after Ocarina of Time and our first taste of an older Link, a lot of people thought the Gamecube was going to be the thing that was finally going to bring us the first realistic "adult" art style Zelda. They showed the cel shading and everyone flipped a tit. I just didn't understand those that bitched about it, calling it "Celda" and dismissing it right away because it was too "kiddy". 

At least I know they missed out on a great game because of retarded presumptions.
#42 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

I hated the look of Wind Waker back then. Me and a few other people (massive Nintendo fanboys) were raging on a gaming forum about it for a long time. Of course, when I actually played it, it was amazing. The art style really is timeless. And while Ocarina and Majora's Mask are horribly dated, WW still feels and looks as good as the day it came out. The triforce hunt at the end is horrible though.

#43 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85: I absolutely adored Majora's Mask as well, but you must admit it was rather jarring going from this 

To this 

#44 Posted by Spoonman671 (4604 posts) -

Let's not forget that this came after Space World 2000 where everyone went batshit over this:

#45 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Wind Waker is amazing.

The style is still awesome to look at, especially the subtle details and some of the areas.
The music is on my Mp3 player and will not leave it anytime soon, some of the best music in the series!

#46 Posted by pow1149 (23 posts) -

I love Wind Waker - it's still my favourite Zelda game. I just wish it was in HD... oh, and if they could sort out the camera while they do that, that would be great too. Man, I don't know how people put up with camera controls in 2003...

#47 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

Yes. Yes it is.

#48 Posted by Sanj (2374 posts) -

Oh what I wouldn't give for an HD Wind Waker...

#49 Posted by xpxTomxqx (138 posts) -

I actually really loved this game. I thought the whole concept of the islands worked really well and I could spend hours just roaming the seas. The graphics still look beautiful today, you're right and in fact, this thread has made me want to play WW again.

#50 Posted by TheHBK (5474 posts) -

I love this game.  Links Awakening is my favorite game though. 
Also the reason people were so disappointed when this was shown off?  This trailer. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.