Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 19, 2006

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess once again sees Link exploring the vast kingdom of Hyrule, this time in an attempt to dispel an evil twilight that has settled over the land.

Do more memorable games carry less replay value?

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

or Zelda is Really Hard to Follow

I was thinking today about Zelda: Twilight Princess and, to be honest, I couldn't remember much about it. Then I thought that it was simply a case of me not remembering Zelda games in general, but then I started thinking about Ocarina of Time, I sure remembered A LOT about that game. Being one of the most fondly remembered games of all time, I couldn't remember that game more. So, that got me thinking I should replay Zelda: Twilight Princess (Ugh, not something I'm going to do anytime soon.) to see what I missed/don't remember. Then that got me thinking about what makes a game fun to replay. Well, no it didn't really, writing this got me thinking about that, but...Anyway what do you guys on the (insert board here) think is a good candidate for a replayable game.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

or Zelda is Really Hard to Follow

I was thinking today about Zelda: Twilight Princess and, to be honest, I couldn't remember much about it. Then I thought that it was simply a case of me not remembering Zelda games in general, but then I started thinking about Ocarina of Time, I sure remembered A LOT about that game. Being one of the most fondly remembered games of all time, I couldn't remember that game more. So, that got me thinking I should replay Zelda: Twilight Princess (Ugh, not something I'm going to do anytime soon.) to see what I missed/don't remember. Then that got me thinking about what makes a game fun to replay. Well, no it didn't really, writing this got me thinking about that, but...Anyway what do you guys on the (insert board here) think is a good candidate for a replayable game.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

You probably couldn't remember that much about it because it really wasn't as good as most Zelda games. People did hype it up too much, but that really wasn't what made it disappointing. It failed to really evolve the Zelda series. You could even argue that because of the limitations of the Wii remote, it was actually a downgrade from Wind Waker. Dude, I'm sorry, but the lack of a second analog for camera control seriously hurts the game. I felt the motion controls didn't really add much anyway. Additionally, lots of times I'd nearly fall off cliffs and stuff because I'd accidentally move my controller too much, causing Link to swing his sword and step forward over an edge. Luckily he was smart enough to latch onto it. It wasn't a bad game, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed it. I can vaguely remember most of the temples, but what stands out most to me are the game's problems and some of it's really stupidly frustrating parts and bad design choices. Plus a lot of the game was streched out with the wolf segments, which honestly weren't that great. 

On the contrary, Ocarina of Time was a masterpiece. A true gem of it's time. Everything about it was amazing. I can vividly remember so many great moments from the game. So many areas that amazed me. I can even vividly remember lots of the music. Twilight Princess was good, but yeah, a lot of it was pretty forgettable. I don't think memorable games carry less replay value. Maybe people will feel that if they remember it that well, they don't need to bother replaying it. But I think if it's that good that you'll remember it, you'll probably gladly play through it again and again.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

I don't remember much of Twilight Princess either. I just assume it's because I didn't like it as much as Ocarina of Time.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I didn't like Twilight Princess at all, so there's that. Personally my favorite Zelda game is Majora's Mask, but everyone disagrees with me. 

If I like a game, I'll play it until I don't like it, it's what I did with the Halo franchise, and Modern Warfare, it'll be what I'll end up doing for Street Fighter IV probably.
    Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Mourne
    @OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
    " I didn't like Twilight Princess at all, so there's that. Personally my favorite Zelda game is Majora's Mask, but everyone disagrees with me.  If I like a game, I'll play it until I don't like it, it's what I did with the Halo franchise, and Modern Warfare, it'll be what I'll end up doing for Street Fighter IV probably. "
    We agree on Twilight Princess not being a very good game, so I think I'll let you slide... this time. But, only this time. I liked Majora's Mask as well (time mechanic issues aside) but still wouldn't quite put it up there with Ocarina of Time. Personally, I think Nintendo is afraid to change the formula at all. I thought Wind Waker was as shoddy and unimpressive as Twilight Princess, despite the unique cel-based graphics. The die-hard Nintendo crowd are never going to admit that a Zelda game is anything but better than the last one, and as long as they do just that, expect many more of the same game to come along.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By VWGTI

OoT, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker were all fantastic games. Twighlight Princess was good, but the damn wolf parts were so annoying for some reason.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By PureRok
    @Mourne said:
    " @OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
    " I didn't like Twilight Princess at all, so there's that. Personally my favorite Zelda game is Majora's Mask, but everyone disagrees with me.  If I like a game, I'll play it until I don't like it, it's what I did with the Halo franchise, and Modern Warfare, it'll be what I'll end up doing for Street Fighter IV probably. "
    We agree on Twilight Princess not being a very good game, so I think I'll let you slide... this time. But, only this time. I liked Majora's Mask as well (time mechanic issues aside) but still wouldn't quite put it up there with Ocarina of Time. Personally, I think Nintendo is afraid to change the formula at all. I thought Wind Waker was as shoddy and unimpressive as Twilight Princess, despite the unique cel-based graphics. The die-hard Nintendo crowd are never going to admit that a Zelda game is anything but better than the last one, and as long as they do just that, expect many more of the same game to come along. "
    I'm a die-hard Zelda fan, and I thought Majora's Mask and Wind Waker were both pretty weak. Of course, I also think A Link to the Past (and Twilight Princess) is better than Ocarina of Time.

Allow me to share my bar graph. The ratings are based on when I first played them. I played the first Zelda when it was new, so it has to get a solid 5 since it had nothing to compare against, and so goes the rest of the graph. I guess you could say that each game is being compared against the last one.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Could i be bold enough to admit that Majora's Mask was my favorite over Ocarina of Time? Many may strongly disagree.
    I however found it something that i will remember for the rest of my life. The masks and tasks were a brilliant idea. Don't get me wrong though, I loved Ocarina of Time every bit. I just found that Majora's Mask had a replay value that Ocarina of Time could never capture. I mean sure, i played Ocarina of Time over and over alongside Perfect Dark 64, but i don't think i played that game as much as Majora's Mask.  I think i completed Ocarina of Time about 9 times, and Majora's Mask about 12 or so. Not lying.

If only i still had my N64 : (

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Hitchenson

...Wind Waker is perhaps the only Zelda game I've really enjoyed. Damn, I loved WW infact. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.