Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 19, 2006

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess once again sees Link exploring the vast kingdom of Hyrule, this time in an attempt to dispel an evil twilight that has settled over the land.

Does Twilight Princess Hold Up

• 68 results
    _jackbauer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By _jackbauer

Hey guys, I'm 28 and haven't played Twilight Princess yet.  I have the opportunity to buy it used for a good price and was wondering - is this game worth playing?  I love Ocarina and I liked Wind Waker.  Link to the Past is probably my favorite. 

Will I enjoy TP?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ryanwho

Yes. 

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Kjellm87

I will say yes, it is a wonderful game. A little on the easy side, but nothing a 3-heart run can't fix.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

It felt old when it came out so it will definitely feel very dated. It would actually probably be better on the GameCube version.

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By HumanityPlague

"No" springs to mind. If you want to play TP, just play Okami. It's where Twilight Princess stole most of it's ideas from. "Link turns into a wolf", Gee, I wonder where they came up with that idea from?

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By wrighteous86
    @HumanityPlague said:

"No" springs to mind. If you want to play TP, just play Okami. It's where Twilight Princess stole most of it's ideas from. "Link turns into a wolf", Gee, I wonder where they came up with that idea from?

Maybe one of the many other Zelda games where Link changes into forms that have different abilities, like Ocarina, Majora, Link to the Past, etc. Or you know, I guess Okami... which was just released a few months earlier (and Twilight Princess was being worked on longer, and originally scheduled for a release a year earlier.) I'm sure they just tossed in the wolf stuff in those last months to steal from Okami despite all the wolf information that had been released to the public long before Okami came out. 

It's definitely worth playing, but it's not one of the best in the series. 

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sameeeeam

Yes, it's an excellent game.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's entertaining enough but feels far too similar to OoT in a lot of places  
    some standard zelda problems like the items you get in dungeons being largely useless anywhere else, and the treasure chests you can finally get to at some point inevitably being full of rupees when your wallet has been full forever. there's only one big thing to spend them on in the whole game. 

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kjellm87

@HumanityPlague: Many games borrows from Zelda, only fair to take a little back. :)

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Hizang

The gameplay style is the same as ever, so yes.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By keyhunter

I forgot that you could turn into a wolf in that game.  Also I really liked that game.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hatking
    @HumanityPlague said:

Hahah... Because Okami was the first game to ever feature a wolf character.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wrighteous86
    @Kjellm87 said:

@HumanityPlague: Many games borrows from Zelda, only fair to take a little back. :)

Yeah, but Okami came out just a few months before Twilight Princess, and TP was originally scheduled for release a year earlier. So, his logic is incredibly flawed. The wolf stuff had been shown off for a while by that point.
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheFreeMan

Yep. It's got some problems (the wolf sections can be a little tedious) but overall it's still a great game.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho

Okami is tedious as shit. Its a longwinded game. Twilight Princess stays fun throughout. Mechanically there's no comparison at all unless you're a hipster weirdo who canonizes every goddamn thing Clover ever made. The idea that Zelda stole from Okami, that someone can say that straight faced,  is fucking priceless though. Internet, never change. 

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By landon

Get the GameCube version. Waggle controls are stupid and the Wii version of TP  is nothing but waggle when it comes to combat. 

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Wind Waker is probably the better Zelda game, but Twilight Princess is worth a play.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Marz

Dunno why you mentioned your age...  have you taken such a long hiatus from gaming that you don't know what games play like in the past few years? But yes if you liked Ocarina and Wind Waker, it just plays like an updated version of those games.  You might even like Darksiders if you want more zelda similar goodness.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By laserbolts
    @HumanityPlague

Such a dumb, uninformed comment to make. Anyways yeah it's definitely worth playing if you're a fan of Zelda games.
    css_switchfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By css_switchfoot

hijacking this thread

what handheld zelda games should i play? i havn't played any since link's awakening

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'll tell you once I finish my two Wii games.

DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DrBendo

This seems like an odd question. It's the same Zelda game they've been re-releasing for years. The formula was about a decade old when it was released, so a couple of years could hardly make any difference. I suspect it plays out exactly like all of the others do and exactly like the next one will. The Zelda games would have to improve and evolve for one to suddenly feel dated.

It's obviously dated in a graphical sense, but no more so than the newest Wii games are. All in all, I can't see how there would be any difference between playing the game today and playing it when it was released. You know exactly what it is and how it plays.

That said, the Gamecube version might be best, though. I forget if the Wii allowed the player to use a proper controller, and the waggle shit is just awful. You may play/enjoy the Wii and tolerate the controls more than I, but I think few would disagree that the Gamecube control is far superior an option. The graphical differences between the two are virtually non-existent.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By craigbo180
    @css_switchfoot said:

hijacking this thread

what handheld zelda games should i play? i havn't played any since link's awakening

Minish Cap. Also GBA version of Link to the Past if you have never played Link to the Past.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Brendan

It's similar enough to slightly older Zelda games that if they hold up for you then TP is going to hold up for you.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wrighteous86

@css_switchfoot said:

hijacking this thread

The two Oracles games are the best handheld games aside from Link's Awakening and Link to the Past (which doesn't really count).

css_switchfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By css_switchfoot

@Wrighteous86 said:

@css_switchfoot said:

hijacking this thread

The two Oracles games are the best handheld games aside from Link's Awakening and Link to the Past (which doesn't really count).

Interesting I hadn't heard of them. Are they the same game like pokemon blue/red or are they completely different?

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By wrighteous86

@css_switchfoot said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

@css_switchfoot said:

hijacking this thread

Interesting I hadn't heard of them. Are they the same game like pokemon blue/red or are they completely different?

They're made by Capcom, but I think they're better than Minish Cap (also made by Capcom). They are two separate games and stories (one emphasizes Zelda puzzles, the other Zelda combat, but both are good). When you beat one, you get a code that you can enter into the other, and characters, items, and plot points will cross over. If you play through both games, the second one has an additional ending dungeon and boss that ties the two games together even more.

Those two games take more from Link's Awakening than any other Zelda game, while Minish Cap is kind of more like a 2D Wind Waker-styled game.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By metalmoog

I just bought this game two weeks ago brand new from Wal-Mart as the new Nintendo Selects line have been released. OMG is it awesome. It's made me love single player non-online gaming again. Fuck me it's good. I enjoy it much more than I did Orcarina of Time for N64.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By FreakAche

You'd have a better experience playing Wind Waker a second time.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30  Edited By GS_Dan

It was alright. My least favourite Zelda console game by far though.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MikkaQ

If you do play it, stay patient. TP has one of the longest most boring introductory sequences in recent memory. Its two hours before anything really happens, so just stick with it.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dungbootle

If you do play it, play the Gamecube version. Wii version's mirrored world is wack.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Yep, it definitely still holds up and stands out as one of the Wii's greatest games to date. If you liked Wind Waker and OoT I find it very unlikely you won't enjoy Twilight Princess too.

_jackbauer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By _jackbauer
    @drbendo said:

This seems like an odd question. It's the same Zelda game they've been re-releasing for years. The formula was about a decade old when it was released, so a couple of years could hardly make any difference. I suspect it plays out exactly like all of the others do and exactly like the next one will. The Zelda games would have to improve and evolve for one to suddenly feel dated.  It's obviously dated in a graphical sense, but no more so than the newest Wii games are. All in all, I can't see how there would be any difference between playing the game today and playing it when it was released. You know exactly what it is and how it plays.

It may seem odd to you because you assume I know stuff about Twilight Princes, but I don't - hence this thread.  I played WW in 2k3 so it's been a while. 

Thanks for the advice everyone, I just got back from buying it for GC.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By JasonR86
    @_jackbauer

You will.  Twilight Princess is probably the best version of the Ocarina of Time-style Zelda game.  Take that for what it is worth.  But keep in mind, it stars off really slow.
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By phish09
    @HumanityPlague said:

Are you seriosuly try to say that Zelda is an Okami rip off?  Because if you are...

Anyway, I think TP is an amazing game, but I haven't played it since it came out.  Though when it came out I played it for 25 hours in a 48 hour period.  It was bliss.
    Stigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Stigs

Yes, it still holds up very well in my opinion. Then again Zelda has always been one of my favorite franchises so I may be a little biased. 

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Yep, it is awesome!

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Spoonman671

I would go with Majora's Mask instead, or maybe even Darksiders.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@css_switchfoot said:

hijacking this thread

minish cap is fantastic 
    christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By christ0phe

Tried playing it the other day on the Wii, it was atrocious, I couldn't even look at it, and goddamn the Wii controls are so dumb

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vitor

@Wrighteous86 said:

@HumanityPlague said:

Maybe one of the many other Zelda games where Link changes into forms that have different abilities, like Ocarina, Majora, Link to the Past, etc. Or you know, I guess Okami... which was just released a few months earlier (and Twilight Princess was being worked on longer, and originally scheduled for a release a year earlier.) I'm sure they just tossed in the wolf stuff in those last months to steal from Okami despite all the wolf information that had been released to the public long before Okami came out. It's definitely worth playing, but it's not one of the best in the series.

Logic is flawed, on that I agree.

However, he's right in saying that Okami was a vastly superior game and totally out Zelda'd Zelda. At least, I thought so. But then, I found TP somewhat disappointing and dated at the time. Didn't manage to recreate that amazing sense of discovery I'd felt with Wind Waker.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By JasonR86
    @Vitor

I would put Okami and TP on the same level of quality personally.  To the OP, you should play both games as they are both on the Wii.
    Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I wonder what the good price used is? I mean it's in the "Nintendo Selects" category. So I would just buy it new for $20 if I was interested in it.

To answer the OP, it's not bad. It's worth playing if you like Zelda games.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Contro

Yes. Play the Gamecube version if you can.
    _jackbauer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By _jackbauer
    @the_hiro_abides: I don't own a Wii, just a Gamecube.
    LostRebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LostRebel

Yes, right up until you turn into a wolf, then it's shit.

mamaluigi32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mamaluigi32
    @_jackbauer: I guess if your going to get for a good price, but in my personal opinion twilight princess was one of my least favorite Zelda games. I would buy The Wind Waker or the four swords if those ever show up in a good price.
    herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By herocide

Yes, but only the Gamecube version. Play it the way it was meant to be played.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By sgjackson

Grab the GC version. I think TP is quality overall - some of it is definitely tedious, but a lot of it is fantastic. It's worth playing if you're a Zelda fan.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.