The Infamous Gamespot Review.

• -1 results
#1 Posted by RipperSU (44 posts) -

I was just looking at Jeff's review of this on GS. Unbelievably, people are still commenting on the review on regular basis, slamming Jeff's 'low' score of 8.8. These people are just fucking ridiculous. How is 8.8 a low score? 8.8 pretty much means that it's ridiculously close to greatness. People seem to forget that the review scale goes from 1-10 surely that means 5-6 is average. Anything above a 7 therefore is a good game and the higher above that point is just how good it is. Some fanboys are actually saying stupid stuff like 'this game is at least a 9.0'. Firstly it's a minuscule .2 difference. Secondly the people losing their head over trivial shit like this are the same people who would buy the game even if it recieved a 1. Anyone else agree that this is pretty silly? If you check out the review I think you'll actually find that Jeff's criticisms are more than apt and that the 8.8 score is probably over-generous.

#2 Posted by infamous021 (122 posts) -

Lol I feel bad for the people that have that much spare time on their hands.

#3 Edited by shivermetimbers (763 posts) -

If he gave it a 9.0 people will be complaining that it deserved a 10 and write a 400 page novel explaining their reasoning and why Jeff is a "bad" critic.; it's a lose-lose. If he gave it an 11, people will complain that it deserved 100....etc

#4 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

so?
#5 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

People think Zelda should get a free pass.

#6 Posted by JJOR64 (18910 posts) -

According to GameSpot scoring, Wind Waker is better then Twilight Princess.  You heard it here first.

#7 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

It's not a 90% and over game, other sites such as gamerankings and metacritic doesn't support that belif. Before you just click reply to me for the sake of me mentioninig gamerankings and metacritic, i'm only saying that to prove my point that this game isn't a over 90% game, it's not at that level, yet it's still very good. Even at 86%, it's way higher than prototype at least, for the genre, that's a good enough score.

#8 Posted by Linkin10362 (602 posts) -

This is almost as stupid as on the Gamespot forum for Kane and Lynch 2. There are dozens of people still bringing up Jeff's review of the game and throwing around loads of rumors like they are fact. Like they say, the internet never forgets.

#9 Posted by Turtlemayor333 (510 posts) -
@JJOR64: 

But Wind Waker IS better than Twilight Princess.
#10 Posted by Lucien_Lachance (207 posts) -

If anything, that game deserved less than what it got. Infamous is a good game, but I don't think it's a 9.  

Oh wait...

#11 Posted by JJOR64 (18910 posts) -
@Turtlemayor333 said:
" @JJOR64:   But Wind Waker IS better than Twilight Princess. "
True that.
#12 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Twilight Princess had a lot of issues and bad design. Sure, it looked better than ever, but that doesn't make it the best Zelda. I think an 8.8 is a pretty fair score. Heck, I might have scored it a little lower. A lot of it disappointed me. Still a pretty great game, though.

#13 Posted by RipperSU (44 posts) -

I personally feel that the game is around a 7.  For my money Majora's Mask was the last Zelda game that didn't just feel like I was playing an updated version of Ocarina of Time.

#14 Posted by buzz_clik (6921 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" According to GameSpot scoring, Wind Waker is better then Twilight Princess.  You heard it here first. "
I'd agree with that. Twilight felt like it was simultaneously taking a step backward and treading water - I know that sounds paradoxical, but it's totally the feeling I get from it.

But yeah, people who think they can spot the difference between an 8.8 and a 9 are just fools who need to take a step back and get some perspective. That's why I love the Giant Bomb way of doing things: it allows a little more wiggle room for whiners, and I just dig how much more of a 'gut' scale it is.
#15 Posted by AuthenticM (3699 posts) -

Yeah, fuck those idiots. I would have given TP an 8.0, just because it's the same bullshit as the other games. The franchise should have evolve at that game; not five years later. And yes, Wind Waker was a better game.

#16 Posted by Jeff (3418 posts) -

On one hand, it's nice to know that your work carries weight. On the other, watching people bicker about something so fucking stupid for so long sort of shakes your faith in humanity. It's a very high score given to a well-made game. It's also probably my least favorite "main" Zelda game, if we're ranking 'em. 

Here's your "behind the scenes" moment of what that's like: It's a bunch of message board posts coming in from unreasonable-sounding people while a room full of editors just kind of shrug and move on to the next assignment. Congratulations, Internet. Mission accomplished.

Staff
#17 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Internet's getting shit done. Future leaders of the world.

#18 Edited by Crono11 (1640 posts) -

Of course people are still upset. Jeff was wrong

It shouldn't have even been that high. 

EDIT: Has there ever been a review where no one complained about the score?

#19 Posted by UnlivedPhalanx (473 posts) -
@Jeff said:
" On one hand, it's nice to know that your work carries weight. On the other, watching people bicker about something so fucking stupid for so long sort of shakes your faith in humanity. It's a very high score given to a well-made game. It's also probably my least favorite "main" Zelda game, if we're ranking 'em. 

Here's your "behind the scenes" moment of what that's like: It's a bunch of message board posts coming in from unreasonable-sounding people while a room full of editors just kind of shrug and move on to the next assignment. Congratulations, Internet. Mission accomplished. "
I think that's pretty much all that needs be said. I agree with Jeff here.
#20 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Number scores are great fun to watch people get in a tizzy over.
#21 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I give SC2 an honorary 8.7

#22 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -
@JJOR64:  

Windwaker is better than Toilet Paper
#23 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

i sold my Wii launch copy of Twilight Princess before I finished it.

#24 Posted by grayfox1210 (199 posts) -

With each passing day, I'm growing more and more hatred of people on the internet. We should create a "separate internet" if you will where you have to be wholly accepted with in a community for not being a retard/dumb ass/ flamer/troll/13 years old. 

Patent pending

#25 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

What's great about this thread is Jeff just said he loved the game and people still think they're defending him somehow by saying they thought the game was shit so it deserved the 'low' score. No self awareness.

#26 Edited by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -
@Jeff:  Was the decision to switch to a .5 increment system in 07 in any way influenced by the TP review, or was that just seen as another cog in the flawed/cumbersome scoring system at the time?
#27 Posted by dudeglove (7688 posts) -

Trying to quantify whether or not a game is good or not through an arbitrary numerical system is inherently flawed. One man's 8.8 is acceptable, another man's 8.8 isn't good enough.

What is 0.8 of an opinion anyway?

#28 Posted by adoggz (2043 posts) -
@crono11:  
prolly Big Rigs
#29 Posted by ThomasP (1655 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" What's great about this thread is Jeff just said he loved the game and people still think they're defending him somehow by saying they thought the game was shit so it deserved the 'low' score. No self awareness. "
The game was shit in my opinion and that has nothing to do with self awareness; it's an opinion.

The game was buggy, the pacing was horrific, the wolf missions were a gimmick and the style was bleh.  Honestly, I thought Jeff was being generous.
#30 Posted by KEITH1437 (276 posts) -

I couldn't even bring myself to finish Twilight Princess. I got to that Wind Temple and just lost interest. 

Also, isn't 8.8 mean its good? I don't understand why anyone would argue over that.

#31 Edited by RipperSU (44 posts) -

I agree somewhat with the people saying that number scores are redundant, I am guilty however of doing it myself and I see the necessity in it. For example, the more vigilant reader can just read a scoreless review and pick up on the positives and negatives to get an opinion on the quality of that game. On the other hand, some people just want to flick through a site and just check a score. For some people it really is more about a number than the actual reasoning behind it and it is therefore necessary to use a numerical scoring system on any mainstream sort of level. 

#32 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3069 posts) -

This is further proof that review scores are stupid.

#33 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:

" According to GameSpot scoring, Wind Waker is better then Twilight Princess.  You heard it here first. "

Oh geez...
Review scores are never absolute, they are relative, according to genre or bugs or voice acting, you know, a myriad of factors. Just because the scores between two games are lower/higher than eachother, doesn't necessarily mean that they are better/worse than eachother.

For example, take Splinter Cell Conviction and Red Faction: Guerrilla. If I were reviewing this game, I would give both of them 4 stars, even though I had more fun with the latter. But the reason that I would place Splinter Cell in of the same caliber as Red Faction is because of a number of novel ideas, not just unadulterated awesome.

Either way, I preferred Wind Waker myself
#34 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

It warms my heart to hear that people are still pissed about that game at GS. The best part is imagining the kind of person that would bother to throw such hate at something so meaningless thinking that anyone cares in the slightest.

#35 Edited by Zajtalan (1163 posts) -
@Jeff said:

" On one hand, it's nice to know that your work carries weight. On the other, watching people bicker about something so fucking stupid for so long sort of shakes your faith in humanity. It's a very high score given to a well-made game. It's also probably my least favorite "main" Zelda game, if we're ranking 'em. 

Here's your "behind the scenes" moment of what that's like: It's a bunch of message board posts coming in from unreasonable-sounding people while a room full of editors just kind of shrug and move on to the next assignment. Congratulations, Internet. Mission accomplished. "

oh shit internet forum! you just got smashed by JG!!
#36 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

When did Twilight Princess become the most derided of the Zelda games? People here seem really hostile towards it. I was able to finish the game just fine, and I accepted it for what it is. The criticism that Twilight Princess didn't change anything from it's previous entries is a criticism that a lot of Nintendo games receive, but Nintendo has been using the whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" for years. I think it's also important to recognize that some diehard fans don't want these games to change the formula, as there will always be some people who hated Wind Waker's art style, or Majora's Mask structure.  

I wonder if new generations of Zelda fans would likely gravitate more towards the newer Zelda games rather then the older ones, since I think nostalgia is also a factor in how older gamers see older games. 

#37 Posted by bonbolapti (1599 posts) -

this thread was over when jeff spoke :D
because.. well.. it makes sense right?

you know?

what I mean?

#38 Posted by EVO (3864 posts) -

Further proof the 5 star rating system works.

#39 Posted by Tebbit (4449 posts) -
@CoolDrMoney said:
" @Jeff:  Was the decision to switch to a .5 increment system in 07 in any way influenced by the TP review, or was that just seen as another cog in the flawed/cumbersome scoring system at the time? "
Let me answer that question by pointing at IGN, who is doing the same thing, but moreso, and 4 years late.
#40 Posted by Redbullet685 (6025 posts) -

People like seeing their favorite games with perfect scores.

#41 Posted by apoptosis61 (600 posts) -

twilight princess was a clear 9.something score,the only problem of the game is very fucking easy -.-

#42 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

Not only is 8.8 good, but Twilight Princess is easily the worst 3d Zelda game. I'd have scored it lower.

#43 Edited by Feanor (1387 posts) -

Bickering about this is a complete waste of time. Its a game review, there are so many different opinions out there not everyone will agree.  

What people should do is find a critic, or critic that has close to the same views as you do about games. I won't listen to a lot of Jeffs reviews, because we don't have the same opinion about certain types of games. Its also the reason why I never visit screened :(. 

But that Zelda game was garbage. If it was released on the Game cube like it was suppose to be it would have been great. But I can't stand waving a Wii remote around.

#44 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

So an 88/100 would most closely translate to 4 stars on the Giant Bomb scale. Just throwin' that out there. I actually couldn't care less about what score the game got though. The fact is, Jeff gave the game a great score and it deserved it. I really don't understand the negativity. I'll just leave it at that.

#45 Posted by electricfuzz9 (40 posts) -

TP was a good game, but for me it was forgettable. I honestly have no fond memories for TP like i did for Wind Waker or really any other recent Zelda game.

#46 Posted by jkz (4003 posts) -

@Jeff said:

"On one hand, it's nice to know that your work carries weight. On the other, watching people bicker about something so fucking stupid for so long sort of shakes your faith in humanity. It's a very high score given to a well-made game. It's also probably my least favorite "main" Zelda game, if we're ranking 'em. 

Wait, wait wait. Are you telling me that you don't take to heart every single one of us internet commentors' insightful, incisive comments, and work your hardest to improve, in the hopes that one day you will be able to meet our lofty standards?

#47 Posted by swamplord666 (1757 posts) -

This is where the community at gamespot sucks (as a genreal rule, there are some exceptions) but anything below 8.5 is bad or considered a flop. There is so much taunting it's embarrassing. All I hope is that the community is composed of teenagers

#48 Posted by Jazz (2155 posts) -

Wait, this isn't about Infamous 
I feel cheated...

#49 Posted by BeachThunder (11702 posts) -

I rate this thread 8.7

#50 Posted by Pepsiman (2459 posts) -
@BeachThunder: You mean on a scale from 0 to 8.7, right? Because if that 8.7 is converted to a percentage less than 100% in your metrics, then you and I are clearly going to have problems.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.