Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 19, 2006

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess once again sees Link exploring the vast kingdom of Hyrule, this time in an attempt to dispel an evil twilight that has settled over the land.

The Infamous Gamespot Review.

• 108 results
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#51  Edited By BeachThunder
    @Pepsiman: Actually, I meant on a scale from 8.7 to 100 :o
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I was always pretty shocked of the amount of complaints this review got, not only because 8.8 is a very good score, but also because I didn't think the game deserved much more than that.  It was a good game of course, but very uninspired, especially coming off the back of the Windwaker.  Still a great game in its own right, but easily one of the weakest in the series.

JamesBoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By JamesBoyce
    @JJOR64:  Minus all the back-tracking and what not, I thought it was a better game.  Great art-direction, great soundtrack, good flow to the game and it was extremely charming.  For me, it was maybe the most refreshing Zelda (besides maybe the GameBoy iterations.)  I still can't understand why Wind Waker doesn't receive as much praise as others.  But then again, I don't think Zelda's been THAT great since Majora's Mask's/Oracles games anyway.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @JJOR64 said:

" According to GameSpot scoring, Wind Waker is better then Twilight Princess.  You heard it here first. "

That's not necessarily true. You have to account for the passage of time. Standards change, and a 9.3 in 2003 isn't necessarily a 9.3 in 2006. Especially considering we were into the new generation of consoles by then, and the Xbox 360 had been out for a whole year - standards were significantly higher in 2006 than they were 2003.

Plus I would actually agree that Wind Waker is better than Twilight Princess. I absolutely loved Wind Waker. It's art style, the universe - everything about it was fantastic. Twilight Princess just didn't have anything new or special about it.

And, if you ask me, this whole debate just goes to prove why the 10 point rating scale with 0.1 increments is a broken rating scale.
    merufm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By merufm

Man, good thing I'm not a game reviewer. I don't think I would give any Zelda more than a 5.0 if using the whole 1-10 spectrum.
    They're okay but I've only finished a couple of them. I think the disconnected puzzle style game play doesn't click with my brain very well and aside from that the combat is nothing more than a button masher. 

I agree it's pretty silly to talk about scores after such a long time. Must be pretty exhilarating to know you have a thousand rabid nintendo fans waiting to shank UH UH you at any opportunity. UH UH UH

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#56  Edited By Deusoma
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " i sold my Wii launch copy of Twilight Princess before I finished it. "
    Well, yeah, you were playing it on the Wii. The Gamecube version was awesome. 

See, now that's something you can actually debate over! Not 0.2/10 worth of difference! :D
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By TheHBK

Yeah, I was one of those people who thought he gave it the wrong score.  I would have given it a 7.5  There was so much wrong and missing.  It didn't stand up to something like Wind Waker.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#58  Edited By Elazul

At first I literally did not believe that anyone could be insane enough to still be bitching about this. Then I remembered that these are the same people that savaged the site's review of Shenmue until it was given a higher score, and sent Alex hate mail because he was generous/drunk enough to give Advent Rising a 5.7. I mean, seriously Internet, what the fuck is wrong with you?

On a totally unrelated note this thread also reminded me that Gamespot actually used to review their games using an arbitrary, procedural formula. Thank god we have Giant Bomb.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#59  Edited By bed
    @BeachThunder said:
    " @Pepsiman: Actually, I meant on a scale from 8.7 to 100 :o "
    BIASED REVIEW 
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By Andorski

People wasting time on the internet?  My word...

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

And I give a fuck, why?

RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By RoujinX

I remember playing Twilight Princess back when it was called Ocarina of Time.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ch13696

It's all fanboys. Take a look at this video and you'll see what I mean. 

Everything that Adam Sessler says makes sense. Basically, people that are really into a game, console, etc. are never satisfied. This leads back to drama. That's what everyone wants, arguments. Fanboys are never pleased until you agree with everything they say. It's sad, but true.
    xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64  Edited By xplodedd
    @Linkin10362 said:
    " This is almost as stupid as on the Gamespot forum for Kane and Lynch 2. There are dozens of people still bringing up Jeff's review of the game and throwing around loads of rumors like they are fact. Like they say, the internet never forgets. "
    What I fail to understand is how come all those users who like Jeff as a reviewer don't follow this site? I mean if they keep on stirring shit about Kane and Lynch review wouldn't it make more sense for them to browse this site and not gamespot?
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#65  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Well, the Gamespot community is full of idiots and assholes, what do you expect? (not that our community, or really any community isn't also full of them, but I would like to think that there are less here. I would like to think that.).  People who get their panties up in a knot about scores not fitting their expectations are people who are insecure in their own opinions. Considering that most of those posters are most likely between the ages of 11 and 15, the insecurity is understandable.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Cramsy

That video is fantastic.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By AngeTheDude

That vid is fucking epic. 

I've been playing through this game and while I'm really enjoying it, it's just another Ocarina clone and doesn't really have the "magic" these games should have. This game is a 4/5 from me so far.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Demyx

Not really a big fan of of the Legend of Zelda franchise, never really played any of the games.

lawlerballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By lawlerballer

twilight princess was terrible, of course all the ninty fanboys will rage unless it gets at least a 9, so reviewers give in

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70  Edited By one_2nd

On their scale, 8.8 means 'great' anyway. I don't get it. 

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @one_2nd
    On their scale, 8.8 means 'great' anyway. I don't get it. 
    Get your pitchforks everyone!!!
    danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#72  Edited By danimal_furry
    @Jeff said:
    "On one hand, it's nice to know that your work carries weight. On the other, watching people bicker about something so fucking stupid for so long sort of shakes your faith in humanity. It's a very high score given to a well-made game. It's also probably my least favorite "main" Zelda game, if we're ranking 'em. 

Here's your "behind the scenes" moment of what that's like: It's a bunch of message board posts coming in from unreasonable-sounding people while a room full of editors just kind of shrug and move on to the next assignment. Congratulations, Internet. Mission accomplished. "

Hahahaha! Right on. I really do believe the saying "The internet makes everyone dumber." They seriously sit on a topic and biuld their lives around it for the next decade. Meanwhile, normal folks go on and live productive lives.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

G4's advice for when you feel like you're about to explode into a retarded fanboy rant: STFU and go suck a dick instead. 

I wholeheartedly support this sentiment. 

alcamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By alcamin

Agreed. It is annoying that folks seem to be incapable of seeing past those scores. Gamespot is still one of my major sources of news and reviews (apart from GiantBomb of course) but  I always try and avoid reading any review comments, because I can usually guess with a pretty high rate of certainty what most of them are saying. There are times though where my curiosity gets the better of me and I take a look, and I always regret it. After looking at it and see the bitching and the whining about how it's so "unfair" that such-and-such a game only got a pathetic 9.0 instead of the 10 that it "obviously" deserved just makes me loose faith in the gaming public. To an outsider it must makes us looking like a bunch of petty, stupid children. I also think it's shows the inherent flaw in that 1-10 scoring system, and the fact that people don't seem to understand it. It's why I was so glad that GiantBomb uses the five star system. It's simple, easy to understand, and, most importantly, makes the actually written review the star of the show because it doesn't give you enough information to make any conclusions on that alone, which is how it should be. 
    There have been times when I've profoundly disagreed with reviews on both sites, but I always read the review and respected the reviewers opinion, despite own  disagreements. That's how it should be. Looking at a ultimately meaningless score and simply jumping to conclusions and ranting about it is a total and utter waste of time.
    I suppose that there will always be idiots, this is the internet after all, but it would be nice if people though a little before shooting their mouth off (as it were), particually on GameSpot. It's one of those examples of, "the site would be great if it wasn't for the users".

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By mikemcn

God I hated that game.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By FourWude

Jeff got death threats. LOL.  

But in all seriousness the Twilight Princess review has to be one of my most epic Internet moments. To say the shit hit the fan doesn't even begin to describe it. People account suicided, banned, death threats, the rage, the anger, the forums blowing up. Marvellous.

I think Jeff will look back and laugh at it in the very far future, well maybe.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#77  Edited By alistercat
    @ch13696:  I love Sessler so much. Would love a Giant Bomb feature calling out annoying community members who can't stop rampant fanboyism.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#78  Edited By LordAndrew

The people still complaining about the score rarely seem to even realize that Jeff Gerstmann no longer works for GameSpot. They obviously don't care, why should we?

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By ch13696
    @AlisterCat said:
    " @ch13696:  I love Sessler so much. Would love a Giant Bomb feature calling out annoying community members who can't stop rampant fanboyism. "
    True. I'd like to see it, but we have no one with that kind of personality. Sessler seems to fit that role because has that hyper hatred attitude. No one on Giant Bomb I know has that attitude.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#80  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I liked Twilight Princess. A lot. 8.8 looks like a rather random score. I would have either gone ahead and given it a 9 or if not go the other way and give an 8.5.

I'm surprised to see so much hate for TP though :O. It's one of my favorites in the series (Probably third after Majora's Mask and LTTP.)

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#81  Edited By alistercat
    @ch13696 said:
    " @AlisterCat said:
    " @ch13696:  I love Sessler so much. Would love a Giant Bomb feature calling out annoying community members who can't stop rampant fanboyism. "
    True. I'd like to see it, but we have no one with that kind of personality. Sessler seems to fit that role because has that hyper hatred attitude. No one on Giant Bomb I know has that attitude. "
    Vinny is fair and calm (and not that jaded since he isn't a journalist), he would have the right mindset but he's far too gentle and non-confrontational for that. Plus I'm sure Jeff, Ryan and Brad have far better things to do then reward these people by getting the staff to talk about them. They just laugh at them in private.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ch13696
    @AlisterCat said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    " @AlisterCat said:
    True. I'd like to see it, but we have no one with that kind of personality. Sessler seems to fit that role because has that hyper hatred attitude. No one on Giant Bomb I know has that attitude. "
    Vinny is fair and calm (and not that jaded since he isn't a journalist), he would have the right mindset but he's far too gentle and non-confrontational for that. Plus I'm sure Jeff, Ryan and Brad have far better things to do then reward these people by getting the staff to talk about them. They just laugh at them in private. "
    What if they hired Lewis Black to do it. That guy is always angry.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#83  Edited By LordAndrew
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " I liked Twilight Princess. A lot. 8.8 looks like a rather random score. I would have either gone ahead and given it a 9 or if not go the other way and give an 8.5 "
    Under the old review scoring system, review scores were actually the result of a calculation of a number of component scores. A reviewer could not say "give this game an 8.8", or 8.5, or 9.0. They had to provide five component scores, and the final score would be calculated from that. If you look at the original review page, you can see a gameplay score of 8, graphics score of 9, sound score of 7, value score of 9, and "tilt" score of 10. Those numbers combine to result in the 8.8 score Jeff gave the game.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By FreakAche

ZOMG BIAS!1!!!!111

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#85  Edited By EpicSteve

This is why the whole scoring system should just be done away with, or all sites should at least convert to a 5 point scale.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Dany
    @EpicSteve
    This is why the whole scoring system should just be done away with, or all sites should at least convert to a 5 point scale.
    Yes and without half stars
    Avatar image for dork_metamorphosis
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EpicSteve said:
    " This is why the whole scoring system should just be done away with, or all sites should at least convert to a 5 point scale. "
    I barely even pay attention to scores anymore.  Reading reviews is way more useful in figuring out whether I'll like a game or not. 
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People shouldn't put so much value into those small numbers.

Twilight Princess was one of the all time favorite games, fuck what some asshole across the world thinks about it or rates it.
    I buy games for me, not to brag on forums or to friends that I have bought a 10/10 game. 

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I remember this. haha good days. Poor fanboys

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
    deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played through it. Seemed cool, but can't give an honest opinion........wait a moment, wasn't this like, four years ago? Why are you guys still bitch over this?
    Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
    deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FancySoapsMan said:
    "I liked Twilight Princess. A lot. 8.8 looks like a rather random score. I would have either gone ahead and given it a 9 or if not go the other way and give an 8.5.  I'm surprised to see so much hate for TP though :O. It's one of my favorites in the series (Probably third after Majora's Mask and LTTP.) "

I couldn't stand Majora's Mask...didn't get why people liked it.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By valrog

Have you ever been to GT? People there consider 9.3 a bad score.

dvaeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#93  Edited By dvaeg

Ah, Gamespot.   At some point just after January 6, 2000, I got a clear picture that scores are pretty meaningless.   10/10 my ass.

The true value comes in being able to trust the reviewer and now how well their tastes align with your own.   

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#94  Edited By ThePickle

I was initially pissed and thought Jeff lowballed the game, but after playing it, the review seemed very fair. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#95  Edited By Hailinel
    @valrog said:
    " Have you ever been to GT? People there consider 9.3 a bad score. "
    Remember the days when the average of 1 and 10 was 5?
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#96  Edited By BBQBram

Wind Waker has spirit, joy. TP is trying a little too hard to be epic, 'classic Zelda'  or even OoT 2.0.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

To be honest it is my least favorite game in the series though to be fair I have never played the CD-I games or Majora's Mask.   The game is technically sound it just strikes me as same old shit but now Link can turn into a wolf.   At least it gave the furries something new to add to their spank banks.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#99  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I feel like I could spend all of eternity picking apart these comment but let's just say if there's one thing Gamespot taught me it's that arguing with fanboys is a lot like banging your head against a brick wall. However, a lot of these comments are ignorant, missing Jeff's points, or just missing the point of a review full-stop. The concept that this is Jeff's opinion and Jeff's opinion alone seems to escape most of these people, and it's frustrating to see so many people think they have to justify their own opinion by bashing Jeff's, but then again those are the characteristic traits of a fanboy. This stuff is really just sad to read and makes me glad I'm not part of that community any more. There were good people on Gamespot, but even in Gamespot's "golden day" it was crawling with fanboys.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#100  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @valrog said:
    "Have you ever been to GT? People there consider 9.3 a bad score. "

Its sad because its true. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.