Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

Do you believe Nintendo will announce a Zelda game at E3?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By BisonHero

Poll Do you believe Nintendo will announce a Zelda game at E3? (95 votes)

Yes 38%
    No 48%
    Want to see poll results 14%

If you do, you are crazy.

I was listening to the latest 8-4 Play podcast, and near the end after discussing the Nintendo Direct that announced a bunch of 3DS stuff, they started talking about what Nintendo has left to reveal at E3, and one or more of them thought it was possible they might at least reveal a logo for the next Zelda. That is fucking insane that anyone would think that's even remotely possible. Skyward Sword came out like 18 months ago, you crazy fucks.

Nintendo already has one dev team making the upcoming 3DS title, and that does seem to pull resources/focus away from making a console Zelda. It's noticeable, when you look at how quickly they made console Zeldas during the era of letting Flagship handle portable Zelda development: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker came out in the span of 4 years (1998-2002). Conversely, once taking back handheld Zelda development, you had 5 years pass between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, and I'm willing to bet that working on Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks (both released within that 5-year span) are the reason there was no Majora's Mask-style interlude after Twilight Princess.

If they had a console Zelda game coming soon, they sure as fuck wouldn't be doing Wind Waker HD. That game's reason for existence is pretty much to pander to Zelda fans who would otherwise be disappointed that Nintendo doesn't have a Zelda anywhere near WiiU launch because they were still working on Skyward Sword so late into the Wii's life cycle. Wind Waker HD doesn't even come out until later this year (assuming no delays), so there's no fucking way they're going to undercut their own HD rerelease by going "Yo dawg, fuck that HD remake, here's a logo or teaser trailer for you guys to lose your damn minds over".

Maybe Miyamoto will offhandedly acknowledge in some interview that they are working on a new console Zelda (because they obviously are, though it would be early still), in the same way that he casually acknowledged Skyward Sword and Pikmin 3 years before they were officially shown in a press conference. But there isn't a chance in hell that any Zelda will get mentioned in this year's E3 press conference aside from the new 3DS game and Wind Waker HD.

• 
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

I wouldn't be surprised if Reggie mentioned Zelda in a list of games they have in development for Wii U, but that's the absolute most that I expect.

Unless it's a remake or something. Or maybe they'll show that HD Zelda spider battle again. That was cool.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

It's certainly possible, though it probably won't be much more than a teaser while they spend more time touting LttP2 and Wind Waker HD. I think it is fair to suggest that a Wii U incarnation of one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, whether it be Mario or Zelda, will be announced.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

They did say that a new console Zelda game is being made. Will it be at E3? Probably not. Another Zelda game announced at E3? No.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I agree that they probably won't show it at E3. I'm guessing that their big game of the show is going to be the new Smash Bros along with Mario Kart.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By MEATBALL

You've got some great points, but I don't know that announcing a new Zelda would necessarily undercut Wind Waker HD. If Nintendo wanted to help fuel the hype-train in the face of PS4 and Nextbox announcing their next Zelda would certainly help and for that reason I'm not going to discount the possibility. I'm not expecting it, though.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

In their Jan Nintendo Direct they specifically said they're working on a new Zelda title for the Wii U and said 'in the meantime' we're bringing out Wind Waker HD and expect to see more at E3 - http://youtu.be/4MzG6lDA1A0?t=29m21s

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthorange said:

I agree that they probably won't show it at E3. I'm guessing that their big game of the show is going to be the new Smash Bros along with Mario Kart.

Indeed, or even a new Star Fox or Metroid game or something. When they already have two unreleased Zelda games that have been announced in the past few months, announcing a third just seems completely bonkers.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the most i can imagine is them mentioning the franchise in passing when talking about the wii u's future.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

We've already got Link to the Past 2 and the Wind Waker remake on the Zelda front this year, so I'm going to say no.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mosespippy

Do you consider a new version of an old Zelda for a new system to be a new Zelda game? If not, then no; if so, then yes.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Nope i don't expect a Zelda for Wii U for at least 2-3 years.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@jjor64 said:

They did say that a new console Zelda game is being made. Will it be at E3? Probably not. Another Zelda game announced at E3? No.

So a new console Zelda WAS announced. Not officially, but we all know it's coming.

So an official announcement? Doubt it. They might go with a similar tactic they did before Skyward Sword was official with a piece of concept art.

Like this.
    Like this.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

They have to! They are going to be seriously overshadowed this year as it is, they'd be stupid not to announce a new Zelda game and a new Mario game.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

No, but they will definitely show more footage of Link to the Past II and Wind Waker HD.

Avatar image for frostedminiwheats
    FrostedMiniWheats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@creamypies:Just because it would be awfully nice for them to have a new Zelda game at this juncture doesn't mean that the game exists in a form that's ready to show. We already know there are two Zelda games in development for release this holiday season... that's almost unprecedented already. Sure, Square Enix would show a trailer to impress crowds while the game is still in pre-production just to make headlines, but Nintendo generally doesn't operate like that. I mean, they held out on freaking Link to the Past 2 until six months before launch!

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably not. I could maybe see them doing a concept art tease, but that's still highly unlikely. I think they'll announce it sometime in the first quarter of 2014 at a Nintendo Direct.

Or they could be totally unoriginal and have Miyamoto bust out onto the stage with a sword and shield.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have to or the Wii-U is dead (if it isn't already)

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They better if they expect to move 9 million Wii U's this year.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo has already talked about reducing the wait time between games. I wouldn't be surprised to hear something about the next Zelda game at E3. Considering the spot that the Wii U is in at the moment, they need to knock it out of the park with Wii U software announcements.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

It will be mentioned in passing, but Skyward Sword came out 6 years after Twilight Princess. It's going to take a while, and this Link to the Past 3DS game and that Wind Waker remake are enough right now.

Now, a new Mario game? That's what I wouldn't be surprised to see.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course. What else do you expect? New IP's?

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

I don't think we'll see a new Zelda at E3 given that both Wind Waker HD and LttP2 have been announced.

I'd put money on a new Mario game and more info on the new Smash Bros. If they really want to get people stoked I'd say a new Metroid would be the way to go, but who knows what the hell is happening with that franchise.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

It really shouldn't take them more than 3 years to get a game out and you'd think by the time e3 comes around they should have been working on it for almost two years, finding out about a game a year before it needs to come out isn't unreasonable.

The Wii U isn't going to last long, it's going to be a 4 year console at most, that doesn't give Nintendo a lot of time to get all their games out.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Nintendo is in a bad way with the WiiU, I could see them announcing a new Zelda as a panic move. I don't think it's likely, but it's very possible. I don't think they can afford to have 6 years between Zelda games again. And just cause they have had that long between games in the past will mean they will continue to do so.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dixavd

Bet they make it seem like they aren't going to mention Zelda then just at the end you see a teaser shot of a new Zelda with the title E3 2014 at the end!

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or they could be totally unoriginal and have Miyamoto bust out onto the stage with a sword and shield.

You want original; how about Miyamoto comes out with a wiimote and accessory for it to be the master sword and a wiiu tablet with an accessory to make it the shield!

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't care less at this point. That series is dead to me, last good game being Wind Waker and Minish Cap for the portables.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By phantomzxro

I agree that a proper console zelda game will take awhile to make but i still believe they will show something or just announce it and give people an idea of what it will be about. After that we may wait a full year to get that zelda but i think that have to come swinging with everything they got this E3.

kkotd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They might show an official title, that is if they actually call it anything more than The Legend of Zelda. It is about that time for them to think about a reboot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.