Do you name the character LINK or your own name?

#1 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

In the Zelda games you get the choice of naming your character? I was wondering what you guys name your character? Do you name him LINK or your own name? Or maybe something completely different.

I prefer naming him Link. I don't know, I just think that's how it should be.

#2 Posted by MattyFTM (14354 posts) -

I like to name him Zelda. It makes for some interesting dialogue from Princess Zelda. In OOT she says something like "Hmmmm... Zelda... That sounds farmiliar".

#3 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

I like to name him Zelda. It makes for some interesting dialogue from Princess Zelda. In OOT she says something like "Hmmmm... Zelda... That sounds farmiliar".

I know this thread is old but dahm it that made me laugh.

Also I usually name my character Link.

#4 Posted by Brenderous (1098 posts) -

First time I played I changed it to Fox cause I was REAL into Star Fox at the time...

But I usually go Link.

#5 Edited by Spoonman671 (4568 posts) -

He has been Dingding since NES, and Dingding he shall remain.  Of course, I didn't buy Skyward Sword, and have my doubts about whether or not I'll buy another Zelda game again.  There may never be another Dingding.

#6 Posted by Slag (4093 posts) -

Whoah Necro thread

I usually name Link what I name all my nameable Player characters. In the original LoZ it wasn't exactly that Link was an actual character anymore so than say the Grey Warden from Dragon Age.

If I were to start playing Zelda series now, I wouldn't change his name now that he is an established dude.

#7 Posted by Spoonman671 (4568 posts) -
@Slag said:

Whoah Necro thread

I usually name Link what I name all my nameable Player characters. In the original LoZ it wasn't exactly that Link was an actual character anymore so than say the Grey Warden from Dragon Age.

If I were to start playing Zelda series now, I wouldn't change his name now that he is an established dude.

He's not really that much more established as a character than he was in the original.
#8 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -

I never change his name. He shall always be Link to me.

#9 Edited by Thrillhouse87 (229 posts) -
@Spoonman671: I thought I was getting tired of the Zelda franchise too, but I really enjoyed Skyward Sword more than I expected. It starts really slow though.  

I name him Link, but in the first Zelda game I played I named him Zelda, thinking that was his name. The game was called the legend of Zelda damn it!!!
#10 Edited by Slag (4093 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

@Slag said:

Whoah Necro thread

He's not really that much more established as a character than he was in the original.

I dunno, with the whole Hyrule Historia thing and Skyward's Sword's story, it seems to me he is not as much of a blank slate as much anymore.

btw I like your name for Link! Dingding is pretty awesome.

#11 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

If you don't name your character/savefile Link you're doing it wrong.

#12 Posted by Rebel_Scum (646 posts) -

Yeah I use Link, any other RPG and its usually Cloud as I like the name for my unnamed protagonist. Skyrim I went with Spainard.

#13 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

Why is my almost 3 year old thread back on the first page?

#14 Posted by Hunter5024 (5555 posts) -

I used to always name him Link, but now I like to name him DRAGON in all caps. I'm not sure where or how this tradition got started.

#15 Posted by NTM (7288 posts) -

Old thread... Anyways, I always name them my name.

#16 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3018 posts) -

Link!

When I was kid I made up other dumb names like Bareem, but nothing else every really fit.

#17 Posted by TobbRobb (4581 posts) -

Link. It's really the only option.

Ok, that wasn't entirely true, I've done some seriously immature playhtroughs with a friend. But all my first/solo playhthroughs are Link!

#18 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Of course not. If I want to start a new game in another slot, both can't be named Link.

#19 Posted by plop1920 (448 posts) -

When I was little I use to name him Zelda because I thought the game was named after him. It was only until I starting going to school that I then learned from my friends what his name actually was

#20 Edited by BlackLagoon (1390 posts) -

Haven't played a Zelda game in ages, but if I did I'd be tempted to name him Charlie.

Or Batman.

#21 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

@Mushir said:

I don't know...

#22 Posted by A_Talking_Donkey (262 posts) -

Link, and all other nameable characters will forever be "Anus" to me.

#23 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

Elf.

#24 Edited by mikeeegeee (1552 posts) -

After hearing this, I think I'll have to name him Slim Thug from now on:

#25 Posted by spiceninja (3055 posts) -

When I was a kid and didn't know his name was Link I would just name him after myself. Once I knew Link's name I always named him Link.

#26 Posted by Slag (4093 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

@Mushir said:

I don't know...

didn't you necro it?

#27 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I always named him after myself until I read a faq on Gamefaqs that said I was a bad person for naming him anything other than Link.

#28 Posted by The_Nubster (2054 posts) -

Booger. It was a thing between my uncle and I, so he's always Booger.

#29 Posted by Nux (2308 posts) -

Link. I always name him Link.

#30 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (530 posts) -

Always Link. Except when I was younger and thought his name was Zelda.

#31 Posted by Nux (2308 posts) -

@Mushir said:

Because people love them some Zelda.

#32 Posted by Bulby33 (550 posts) -

I name my Zelda characters "Link"

Not "LINK"

#33 Edited by CaLe (3916 posts) -

When given the opportunity, I name all of my video game characters Sephiroth. Sometimes it's too long and I just go with Sphrth.

Oh and incase you didn't know, Sephiroth is the guy with the long grey hair from Final Fantasy 7 and he's the coolest most handsome villain in the whole world so you should know him. I wish I could meet a man like him in real life but I can't because none are as cool as him.

This is a picture of what he looks like in the Final Fantasy movie. I have watched it sooooooo many times and always pause at his face. 久しぶりだな、クラウド is what he says in his first scene and I pause at that scene and fall in love with him over and over each time.

#34 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1036 posts) -

First playthrough I leave as is and name my character on 2nd play

#35 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Lunk.

#36 Posted by Irvandus (2827 posts) -

I use to give him my name but ever since orcania he's been link.

Always be linking.

#37 Edited by damswedon (3175 posts) -

Balls because I was kid the first time. Now I do it partly ironically and partly because I hate myself.

#38 Edited by Cirdain (2999 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

And in Link's Awakening the music on the name selection screen changes when you make the name Zelda.

But yeah I name him Link.

Edit: I didn't know this was 2 years old

#39 Posted by _Chad (963 posts) -

Geez guys his name is Zelda.

#40 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -

I don't change his name.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.