Should I play all the Zelda games?

#1 Edited by Jams (2959 posts) -

I'm currently playing A Link to the Past GBA version and was wondering if I should try and play all the Zelda Cronologically. I've never actually played any of them for more than an hour and I want to give the games a shot since they are so highly regarded.

So my question is this,

What are the major versions of Zelda that I should play? I don't know if I can (or want to) play every version? I already have Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time on the Wii and A link to the Past on GBA. I just remembered I have Wind Waker too.

#2 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

I'd say LttP and OOT and then TP would be a nice representative sample to play. You get arguably the two best and then the most modern one.

#3 Posted by BonOrbitz (2138 posts) -
#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (35842 posts) -

Yea, probably. They're pretty good games.

#5 Posted by Icemael (6307 posts) -

A Link to the Past and The Minish Cap are the only Zelda game I consider essential.

#6 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Sure, they're fun!

#7 Edited by Jams (2959 posts) -

Oh yeah I have wind waker too

#8 Posted by Thoseposers (773 posts) -

I've been asking myself the same question ever since the OoT quick look went up. So i've been playing through OoT and i might get link to the past on virtual console and play that newer ds one i bought sometime ago and never finished. I have very fond memories of Zelda games but very short ones at that, the only one i ever beat was Wind Waker and that game was awesome.

#9 Edited by PirateNipple (94 posts) -

The original is a classic, play it before you get soured on the idea of playing a really old game. A Link to the Past is probably my favorite. Totally digging OOT 3D right now too. Beat it probably 10 times back in the day and haven't played it in at least 6 or 7 years.

I want to love Majora's Mask but I can't stand game-ending time limits in games, and that's basically what that whole game is. I never beat it, only got to the 4th dungeon (the flipping-upside down tower). The dungeon designs are really damn good, though. If they do a Majora's Mask 3D version for 3DS, I might make myself try it again. I know I could download it on my Wii, but meh.

Also am I in the minority, having played the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess and not the Wii version? I really liked it and thought it worked great with the Gamecube controller.

#10 Posted by RE_Player1 (7545 posts) -
Just skip Majora's Mask and you're good.
#11 Posted by NTM (7235 posts) -

Not to say any of the other Zelda's should be left out, but I think the major game you're missing (with Ganon in it) is Wind Waker. You should go from, A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, then Twilight Princess. After you play those do any of the other ones. I've always felt that the games that had Ganon as the main antagonist were main and the others as side. You need to find Wind Waker somewhere on Gamecube.  

#12 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

LTTP, Ocarina,Wind Waker are the generally most liked so you can't go wrong with those I guess.

#13 Posted by Hargreaves93 (234 posts) -

Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker are the games you should deifnitely play in the series. I had to most fun with those two.

#14 Posted by AlisterCat (5470 posts) -

Minish Cap is amazing. Oracle of Ages/Seasons is pretty cool. Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask are a must. There's so much variety between them.

#15 Posted by TooWalrus (13131 posts) -

That NES game is pretty crappy if you didn't play it back in the day.

#16 Posted by ajamafalous (11818 posts) -

Just don't go in with the mindset that you NEED to like the game just because other people do, or that it'll be some mindblowing experience. Chances are you've already played games that are similar. Even then, you may just not like the formula. 

I can say pretty firmly that, of the ones I've played, the only Zelda game I enjoyed was Wind Waker.

#17 Posted by FreakAche (2948 posts) -

Well, by chronologically, I assume you mean in order of release, because of you want to actually figure out the order that the games take place in, you're in for a massive headache. As you can see here.

#18 Posted by NickBOTT (481 posts) -

They r all amazing.  The only weird one was the second one for NES, The Adventures of Link I believe it's called.  Link to the past is def in my list of top ten games of all time.

#19 Posted by FateOfNever (1809 posts) -

Yes, you should play all of them.  Even if you don't finish all of them, you should probably play all of them.

#20 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

Yes yes yes!  I like your style.  The original Legend of Zelda was the first NES game I ever beat and it took me many weeks, or maybe months to do it.  With the guides and walkthroughs you can get now you can probably beat it in a day.  That is the single best game on the NES.  ALTTP is the best game on the SNES.  OOT is the best game on the N64 (imho).  Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are the best games you can get on the GCN, aside from the Metroid Prime games.  The only handheld Zelda game I've ever played is Phantom Hourglass, but I totally dug it.  I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Zelda game.

#21 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Thats crazy talk, just play Darksiders

#22 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

Most of them are definitely worth playing. The original two are great, if you can stomach retro games. Link's Awakening still holds up very well.

Link to the Past is still one of my favourite games, Ocarina of Time speaks for itself.. the Windwaker is just incredible. Twilight Princess is a bit of a let down.. to me, it felt like it was trying too hard to be OoT, rather than its own thing, but it's still worth the time.

I never really got into the Oracle games or the Minish Cap, so I can't really speak of their quality.. and I thought the two DS games were utterly undewhelming and have some very frustrating moments. I'd skip them unless you really love the series.

#23 Posted by theoldhouse (439 posts) -

Majoras Mask is the best 3D game in my opinion 

You should play that.

#24 Edited by Jams (2959 posts) -

I wonder if I can get the first and second Zelda on the Wii Shop

@Hizang said:

Thats crazy talk, just play Darksiders

I have it on Steam :)

#25 Posted by Teleri (123 posts) -
@Jams:  

I don't know how committed you are to experience what each of these reputable games has to offer, but there isn't a Zelda fan out there that will tell you to avoid any of them.  (Except of course, the CDi Zelda games... but let's just pretend they never existed.)  Most people I've spoken to would recommend the big one to play is playing OoT.    

By the way, I've also committed to going back and playing the Zelda games.  In fact I've decided that I'm going to play through each and every one of them.
#26 Posted by RaikohBlade (593 posts) -

Don't play them all, they'll feel repetitive and you'll get irritated. Just play the most prominent ones, like Ocarina of Time.

#27 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@Jams said:

I'm currently playing A Link to the Past GBA version and was wondering if I should try and play all the Zelda Cronologically. I've never actually played any of them for more than an hour and I want to give the games a shot since they are so highly regarded.

So my question is this,

What are the major versions of Zelda that I should play? I don't know if I can (or want to) play every version? I already have Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time on the Wii and A link to the Past on GBA. I just remembered I have Wind Waker too.

Honestly I think Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link is one of the most playable and fun zelda games ever made. It has a straight up awesome combat system that was copied by a bunch of other games at the time. It more well designed than any zelda game since, even thought the graphics don't hold up and it doesn't have the immediate appeal of a 3d game.
#28 Posted by Otacon (2208 posts) -

Yes, do it. They are all quality games. Bit of a problem though with 'chronologically'. Yeah, that gets... complex.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.