Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

Was demise killed?

Avatar image for theimprisoned140101
    Theimprisoned140101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Um .... I dont really know whether or not he died...the only source of this was Fi and she is WRONG ALL THE TIME (this plant like being that looks nothing like zelda and is male...has a 7% chance of being zelda 7% ... Really Fi)

Also the timeline loop stops me from believing link killed him with the MS cause if he did then link wouldn't have to fight the imprisoned 3 times...and the grooseinator wouldn't be there in the sealed grounds...sure enough it's there in the end credits...

Plz help me

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Isn't Demise reincarnated into Ganon/Ganondorf?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Isn't Demise reincarnated into Ganon/Ganondorf?

Yes

Theimprisoned140101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: @ll_exile_ll: I'm pretty sure that demise only cursed his HATRED upon link and zelda not himself...only part of himself

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Based on the bullet-proof logic that demise means death and that HP Lovecraft said "And with strange aeons even death may die" and that the Zelda universe is without a doubt a "strange aeon" yes. This guy is definitely dead.

Theimprisoned140101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: LOL

Good logic...but at the end of SS he was only sealed in the MS if he was only sealed that means that the state of the goddess couldn't have crushed, and supposedly killed, the imprisoned in the first place

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TruthTellah

@theimprisoned140101:

"Though this is not the end. My hate... never perishes. It is born anew in a cycle with no end! I will rise again! Those like you... Those who share the blood of the goddess and the spirit of the hero... They are eternally bound to this curse. An incarnation of my hatred shall ever follow your kind, dooming them to wander a blood-soaked sea of darkness for all time!"

The incarnation of hatred and evil named "Demise" in Skyward Sword was defeated, but he made the point that darkness and hate will have many incarnations in the future. One of those future incarnations is Ganon. That doesn't mean Ganon is a resurrected Demise; it means he is another form of the same enduring evil.

Consider that it is similar to Final Fantasy 4's Zeromus. He claims upon defeat that he will rise again and again in other forms. The point being, both Zeromus and Demise represent specific incarnations of an amorphous "hate" and "evil" which plagues the world. And it is upon great heroes to face that burden on and on forever. As long as there is evil, there will be heroes to overcome it. A classic trope in fiction and real life.

So, even though Demise was defeated, he was only one incarnation of the evil in the Zelda world. That evil had other forms before and will have new forms in the future. That's the eternal struggle between good and evil in Zelda.

Theimprisoned140101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vrikk said:

Stop making multiple threads.

Brilliant. Nerco a five month old thread to tell the OP to stop making threads. This is really constructive feedback.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait until they depict these harrowing scenes in the netflix series.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By TheHT

@truthtellah said:

@theimprisoned140101:

"Though this is not the end. My hate... never perishes. It is born anew in a cycle with no end! I will rise again! Those like you... Those who share the blood of the goddess and the spirit of the hero... They are eternally bound to this curse. An incarnation of my hatred shall ever follow your kind, dooming them to wander a blood-soaked sea of darkness for all time!"

The incarnation of hatred and evil named "Demise" in Skyward Sword was defeated, but he made the point that darkness and hate will have many incarnations in the future. One of those future incarnations is Ganon. That doesn't mean Ganon is a resurrected Demise; it means he is another form of the same enduring evil.

Consider that it is similar to Final Fantasy 4's Zeromus. He claims upon defeat that he will rise again and again in other forms. The point being, both Zeromus and Demise represent specific incarnations of an amorphous "hate" and "evil" which plagues the world. And it is upon great heroes to face that burden on and on forever. As long as there is evil, there will be heroes to overcome it. A classic trope in fiction and real life.

So, even though Demise was defeated, he was only one incarnation of the evil in the Zelda world. That evil had other forms before and will have new forms in the future. That's the eternal struggle between good and evil in Zelda.

Hmm, I wonder if when he says "an incarnation of my hatred shall ever follow your kind", they meant to imply that if the bloodline of the goddess ended and the spirit of the hero never manifested again then the cycle would stop and the world would be free from another incarnation of Demise's hatred.

Almost the opposite of "as long as there is evil, there will be heroes to overcome it", where instead it's "as long as there is good, there will be evil for them to overcome". I suppose that's just another side of the same coin though. The enduring proverbial point then being that there will always be good and bad, and they will always be in opposition. The whole endless cycle itself being a representation of that idea.

Except the whole bloodline thing makes it less abstract than that. Which brings me right back to wondering what would happen if the bloodline ended.

Accepting that it couldn't, for whatever nonsense reason, then what causes a new conflict in the cycle to begin? Since Link is always younger than Ganon, I'm assuming the manifestation of hatred always comes first, and then the hero follows it. So what causes the manifestation of hatred to come about when it does? Is the cycle bound by some particular schedule? Does the state of the world matter? Is the state of the bloodline relevant at all, beyond merely existing?

In any case, it's a fun little way to tie all these games together. Totally unnecessary for enjoying these games personally, but neat nonetheless.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

@truthtellah said:

@theimprisoned140101:

Hmm, I wonder if when he says "an incarnation of my hatred shall ever follow your kind", they meant to imply that if the bloodline of the goddess ended and the spirit of the hero never manifested again then the cycle would stop and the world would be free from another incarnation of Demise's hatred.

Almost the opposite of "as long as there is evil, there will be heroes to overcome it", where instead it's "as long as there is good, there will be evil for them to overcome". I suppose that's just another side of the same coin though. The enduring proverbial point then being that there will always be good and bad, and they will always be in opposition. The whole endless cycle itself being a representation of that idea.

Except the whole bloodline thing makes it less abstract than that. Which brings me right back to wondering what would happen if the bloodline ended.

Accepting that it couldn't, for whatever nonsense reason, then what causes a new conflict in the cycle to begin? Since Link is always younger than Ganon, I'm assuming the manifestation of hatred always comes first, and then the hero follows it. So what causes the manifestation of hatred to come about when it does? Is the cycle bound by some particular schedule? Does the state of the world matter? Is the state of the bloodline relevant at all, beyond merely existing?

In any case, it's a fun little way to tie all these games together. Totally unnecessary for enjoying these games personally, but neat nonetheless.

Yeah, the closest thing I can think of is a curse. Like, "you are cursed, and it will follow your bloodline forever". Which, to me, is not a matter of the evil coming about due to Link or his bloodline, but whenever evil arises, his bloodline will be cursed to always have to face it. The classic hero's burden.

Skyward Sword presents the rise of Hatred as an inevitable part of a cycle. So, there are legends about its return, and in response, the rise of heroes. The curse seems to just confirm that this particular bloodline bears the burden of facing that evil.

It seems like not all generations see a rise of evil, but each generation is ready for that possible fight. Link's uncle in Link to the Past tries to take it on after Link's father died, but he wasn't the one meant to rise to face the challenge. The family as a whole serves to help keep the darkness at bay and potentially have their children sacrifice for that cause.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The point of the Demise thing is to formalize the "same story retold" model Zelda has in every game at this point more or less.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.