Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

What is the worst Zelda game? (Poll)

• 164 results
    fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By fattony12000
    g6065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By g6065

@Taku128 said:

Personally I think Twilight Princess is the worst Zelda. I just found the dungeons in that game really boring, the overworld empty and dull, and I hated everything where you played as the wolf.

+1. Such a massive letdown.

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

@gladspooky said:

Hey, the one that actually tried new things is the one people vote for. What a shock.

this and

@JazGalaxy said:

@BisonHero said:

@spankingaddict said:

Zelda 2 , I guess . That's the only one that didn't hook me in . If you think TP is the worst , YOU'RE INSANE !

Zelda 2 is a very demanding game that is VERY different from the other Zelda games, but it really wasn't too bad, compared to the other NES games of the day.

Twilight Princess just did the fewest new things in a Zelda ever, and stuck so very close to formula. It wasn't bad, but it sure was boring. But whatever, I'm sure there are young kids out there for whom it was their first Zelda, and they totally love Midna or Wolf Link or whatever. It's certainly the worst 3D Zelda.

I don't get why people would think it's even a LITTLE bit bad. That is one of the best zelda games. the music is fantastic, among the best in the series, and pushed the NES further than any game of the time. The game is vastly different than it's predecessor, which is a great thing. Especially compared to modern times when games are just garbage clones of one another. It gave you a vastly different look at Hyrule and the people in it. And best of all, the 2d combat was fantastic. It was always challenging and thusly always fun. I think people who didn't play it at the time give it a bad rap in retrospect just because it sticks out so far from what Zelda was previously. I mean, barring the perspective, Zelda 3 has just as little in Common with Zelda 1 as Zelda 2 does.

This.

It's strange and sad that the most different one is considered the worst. I think in a way its also telling of the age of the poll takers.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Hitchenson

Out of what I've played, it's got to be Twilight Princess.

The best Zelda is Wind Waker.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#55  Edited By TobbRobb

I refuse to vote, because I don't think any of them deserve to be called bad.

But fuck skyward sword. Fuck it in it's handholding butt.

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By Ursus_Veritas

I voted for Zelda II, but I my experience is coloured by the fact I'd played several of the 3D and 2D Zelda games before I went and actually tried it out. By saying it's the worst, I don't really feel like that, it was alright. It's the... least-best out of the ones I've played, I guess? 

Also, I am extremely happy that Wind Waker has 0 votes. What a fantastic game - even with the triforce shard fetch quest stuff at the end (which younger me didn't really mind, as I could just listen to the great sea music again and again and again... and again). I still remember the day I got my gamecube and started playing it. Goddammit guys, I don't want to buy a Wii U just for Wind Waker. But I might.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ViciousReiven

Purely out of the 3D console titles I have to go with Wind Waker, to me that game has a real lack of focus, and compared to the rest actually felt too long, it just gets tedious after a point.  
    The gameplay is pretty good, but I didn't like pretty much any of the dungeons, I couldn't be bothered to do the loads of side quest stuff, the sailing was so boring, and I just really didn't care for the art direction (not the graphics or the cel-shading but the designs)

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By JazGalaxy

@markini6 said:

I remember all the people complaining about Wind Waker before its release, my heart fills with joy at the sight of it having received no votes. Of course now the devious bastards at Nintendo have secured one more Wii U purchase with its remake.

Yeah, but when people mention the hate The WIndWaker received on it's unveiling vs. the praise it got on it's release, it's important to remember that the final game wasn't anything like the trailer that was released.

The trailer featured link wearing what appeared to be eyeliner and a miniskirt running around dodging monsters and winking at the camera. The final link featured him wearing leggings/pants, and a far more assertive and masculine personality.

The final WindWaker was a response to the outrage against the trailer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted Twilight Princess but Skyward Sword isn't much better. In SS they somehow made filling the vessel is even shittier with adding the patrols and the part where you have to collect the music notes is the worst.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By JazGalaxy

@g6065 said:

@Taku128 said:

Personally I think Twilight Princess is the worst Zelda. I just found the dungeons in that game really boring, the overworld empty and dull, and I hated everything where you played as the wolf.

+1. Such a massive letdown.

+2

The Twilight Princess was awful, top to bottom.

From the get-go, when I was trying to get that Cat to go back to it's owners house, and no matter how many valid solutions I came up with to get the cat to the right location, it kept wanting me to do JUST the right obscure thing the developer wanted me to. That happened a number of times throughout the game which just led to my frustration and hating the whole experience.

Never mind the part when the character pops up telling you to collect the 8 magic widgets for no other reason than to make it a zelda game. It was like they weren't even trying. And link turning into a wolf was the most transparent gimmick I think hte series has ever relied on.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By abendlaender

Twilight Princess was awesome, and fuck everybody who says otherwise :P

The WORST Zelda game is without a doubt Spirit Tracks. Spending half of the game watching Link slowly riding a train without anything to do, who thought that wasa good idea?

I'm pleased to say that even though some jokers selected Majora's Mask which, as we all know, is the best Zelda ever made the awesomenes that is Link's Awakening is still untouched. Good on you internet

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By blueinferno

I don't know. I DON'T KNOW!

PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By PK_Koopa

Gonna say Phantom Hourglass as well, though I haven't even played Spirit Tracks or some of the other Zeldas.

Majora is probably my favourite. Also glad to see no one hates Minish Cap, since that was the last Zelda game I just really, really enjoyed.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Definitely Majora's Mask.

Also, what's up with people all of a sudden saying that Ocarina is bad? When did that start?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By BisonHero

@Abendlaender said:

The WORST Zelda game is without a doubt Spirit Tracks. Spending half of the game watching Link slowly riding a train without anything to do, who thought that wasa good idea?

The sailing in Phantom Hourglass was worse. At least in Spirit Tracks, you could set your destination, then just set your DS in your lap for a few minutes, and only have to do anything if you hear the music turn into the "enemies nearby" music. In Phantom Hourglass, you set your destination, then the game randomly spawns spiky fences out of the damn water, with no warning, that you have to perfectly time a jump to get over. Why the fuck does your boat even jump?

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By uhtaree

Spirit Tracks. Zelda game with trains.

Avatar image for jonathanashleymoore
    JonathanAshleyMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am stunned so many people voted for Majora's Mask.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#68  Edited By hollitz

Playing spirit tracks now and the train bits fucking blow. I imagine the design meeting went something like, "Well people really seemed to hate the sailing bits in Wind Waker, is there any way to make them more boring?"

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#69  Edited By Svenzon

Haven't played them all, but I doubt any of them would be worse than Zelda 2. God, that game is terrible.

Second place goes to Skyward Sword. It's not really a bad game though, just bogged down by so many bad decisions and frustrating controls.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70  Edited By Nux

Why aren't the CDi games on here? They are the right answer. Anyway I choose Zelda 2.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#71  Edited By Hunter5024

Of the ones I've played (which is basically all of the main console ones except Twilight Princess), I would choose Windwaker. In terms of gameplay I felt like they put a lot more of an emphasis on the combat then there was in earlier entries, and I really didn't find fighting enemies particularly enjoyable. In addition to that I found a lot of the puzzles less clever, and the items you get weren't nearly as cool. And even though the game is beautiful in a lot of ways, I don't appreciate what they did with the character design, it was kind of difficult to take any of them seriously that way. Not that Windwaker is bad, it just didn't jive with my tastes very well.

Also I'm honestly a little surprised by all of the Skyward Sword hate. I really enjoyed my time with that game.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Phantom Hourglass. Those forced stylus controls killed it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#73  Edited By Video_Game_King

From what I've played, the first one. That overworld is some cryptic bullshit.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#74  Edited By buft

Glad to see the windwaker isn't getting any hate, its my personal favorite but it was my understanding a lot of people don't like it, zelda 2 for me

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#75  Edited By oraknabo

Yeah, where are the Phillips CDi ones. That's the obvious answer.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Skyward Sword. It was between that and Twilight Princess, but I beat Twilight Princess.

sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By sonicrift

I voted for Spirit Tracks. I wasn't a fan of the control scheme of Phantom Hourglass, but there was a really good game hidden behind it. Spirit Tracks took everything I didn't like about Phantom Hourglass, specifically tracing paths, and built that into it's own game. I feel like it doesn't have many votes because not as many of you have tried it.

But yeah. Zelda 2. What were they thinking?

EarthBowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#78  Edited By EarthBowl

I thought the GBC games were lame, but not terrible.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#79  Edited By GunstarRed

I hadn't played anything between Ocarina and Phantom Hourglass until I got the two free GBA games on the 3DS, and what I played of the four swords game bored the hell out of me. I'm glad I missed a whole chunk of these games, I assume it made Skyward Sword feel a lot fresher to me than someone who had played all of those games.

Not played Spirit Tracks either.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By stryker1121

TP for me..it was a good game and I enjoyed it somewhat, but it as others have said it was very derivative to OOT w/o offering anything new or interesting. Nintendo played it very safe w/ the GC/Wii crossover taking place (I had the GC version) and it showed.

Zelda 2 is certainly the black sheep of the the family, but I enjoyed it. The overworld wasn't great but the dungeons, magic use and combat were challenging and fun. I would also like to know why people didn't like OOT or MM. I know this is the Internet, but how 'bout some substance, peeps?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#81  Edited By Dagbiker

Four Swords, by virtue of it being the least Zelda like game of all of them.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By project343

Of the 3D ones: Twilight Princess.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Phantom Hourglass - the only Zelda game I did not feel like finishing. Also it left so bad taste in my mouth that I have, not nor I'll ever have, any interest towards the Spirit Tracks.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#84  Edited By Atlas

If Angry Video Game Nerd is anything to go by, you can't have a conversation about bad/worst Zelda games without discussing the CD-i games.

I've only beaten two Zelda games - OoT and MM, and of the two I prefer MM, so OoT is worst by default, despite it still being one of my most formative gaming experiences.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#85  Edited By KingBroly

Spirit Tracks - An unbelievably frustrating experience from beginning to end.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Cyrus_Saren

Phantom Hourglass. That was the one Zelda game I never beat. Right behind it, I would say Wind Waker.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By MezZa

@BisonHero: I think part of the reason I like Spirit tracks less than Phantom Hourglass is just because I played through all of phantom hourglass and wasn't really jumping up and down to play another zelda like that again. I squeezed some fun out of phantom hourglass and thought it was decent, but the idea of playing through another zelda like that doesn't really appeal to me. I gave spirit tracks a try and got sick of it after about 5 or 6 hours.

My next choice would've been Zelda II, but its been so long since I played that. Spirit Tracks is a bit more fresh in my mind.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By BisonHero
    @MentalDisruption Yeah, Spirit Tracks seemed like the result of them wanting to continue the series, but realized they had run their course with boats. So they literally put the overworld on rails. So yeah, it's very much the same model, and it was less novel the 2nd time around. Still, it improved the systems, but I hope they take the time to make a more full, interesting portable Zelda on the 3DS.
    EerieTraveler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By EerieTraveler

Of the ones I've played: Skyward Sword. The world felt barren and none of the dungeons really grabbed me. It might have just been me finally having my fill of Zelda, though.

sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By sonicrift

I think I'll say that Spirit Tracks was not fun or engaging, Phantom Hourglass had it's moments, and all the rest are varying degrees of great and excellent.

I played all the way through Phantom Hourglass, and at points it really felt like a chore to keep going, but I was determined. I think I picked up Spirit Tracks the day I finished Phantom Hourglass, and when I saw that the game was all about taking all the gameplay mechanics I hated from Phantom Hourglass deeper, I put the game down. I can't imagine anyone voting for Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess has played the DS games.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By xyzygy

The original. It's just so basic and shallow and doesn't even really have much in the way of story. The way they fit it into the timeline reflects this.

Sad to see the hate for SS. It's my favorite :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyward Sword. I get nothing out of that game. Nothing feels fun about that game for me.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#93  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

Oh man I should have chosen Twilight Princess. That game was ridiculously bland.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By supermonkey122

I would say Zelda 2. I don't get all the Twilight Princess hate.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#95  Edited By MildMolasses

All the people who voted for Zelda II make me sick

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#96  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I actively dislike Majora's Mask, but of the Zelda games I've almost finished, Twilight Princess is easily my least favorite. To put it bluntly, it's a Zelda game going through the motions of being a Zelda game without any of the enthusiasm. I can't say Zelda 2 because I've never seriously attempted to play it.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By psylah

WHERE ARE THE CDi GAMES EGGMAN YOU SAID THERE'D BE CDi GAMES

Orbitz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Orbitz89

Skyward Sword for me. Never played Zelda 2.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

Twilight Princess is Nintendo saying "shit the wrong and stupid part of the internet bitched about Wind Waker being shit! Quick, make OoT again!"

Everything about that game is just trying way too hard to do what OoT did for Zelda games and failed.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:

The lack of CDi Zelda games on this poll disturbs me.

That would just be an easy cop out answer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.