Replaying Classic Games

Posted by Cerialthriller (20 posts) -

So, this weekend I went back and played a classic game I hadn't played since childhood. The Legend of Zelda. So I put my Legend of Zelda cart in my NES and my previous save games were gone. Damn, my battery had probably died. So just to test it out, I made a new save game and died and saved and then turned my NES off. The save game wasn't there anymore. So, I ended up changing the battery and 10 minutes later I was on my way to saving the princess.

Now, the Legend of Zelda is over 20 years old. And you know what, the game is still absolutely fantastic. And where the combat part of the game isn't really hard, figuring out where to go and what to do can be difficult because there is really no narrative story aside from trying to save the princess. Having the internet at your disposal really cuts down on the time it takes to complete this game, as I didn't want to spend a week playing it, I was able to finish it in a few hours with the help of an online guide when I got stuck.

Even though this game is great, there were a few things that could have been better. The music for one, while the tracks are really good and stick in your head forever, I think there are only actually like 3 different songs. I also don't like how when you finish the game, your game save automatically becomes the second quest save file and the save file that had every item and full heart containers is gone. 

But regardless, I had a lot of fun with it, and started Link to the Past last night, since I don't currently have a Zelda 2 cart.

#1 Posted by Cerialthriller (20 posts) -

So, this weekend I went back and played a classic game I hadn't played since childhood. The Legend of Zelda. So I put my Legend of Zelda cart in my NES and my previous save games were gone. Damn, my battery had probably died. So just to test it out, I made a new save game and died and saved and then turned my NES off. The save game wasn't there anymore. So, I ended up changing the battery and 10 minutes later I was on my way to saving the princess.

Now, the Legend of Zelda is over 20 years old. And you know what, the game is still absolutely fantastic. And where the combat part of the game isn't really hard, figuring out where to go and what to do can be difficult because there is really no narrative story aside from trying to save the princess. Having the internet at your disposal really cuts down on the time it takes to complete this game, as I didn't want to spend a week playing it, I was able to finish it in a few hours with the help of an online guide when I got stuck.

Even though this game is great, there were a few things that could have been better. The music for one, while the tracks are really good and stick in your head forever, I think there are only actually like 3 different songs. I also don't like how when you finish the game, your game save automatically becomes the second quest save file and the save file that had every item and full heart containers is gone. 

But regardless, I had a lot of fun with it, and started Link to the Past last night, since I don't currently have a Zelda 2 cart.

#2 Posted by Tally_Pants (589 posts) -

I just picked up LInk to the Past for my SNES yesterday actually. I'm super pumped to play through it again! I'v already beaten it prob 4 times, but this is the first time I'v owned my own copy of the game on SNES, I own the GBA port and also beat it on snes a long time ago, my cousins owned it and i just borrowed it.
#3 Posted by liako21 (519 posts) -

Im almost finished with the ocarina of time for the 3ds. all i have to do know is go to ganondorfs castle and merk that fool and save the princess, but before i did that i decided to download the Legend of Zelda from the eShop.

This game is fucking hard! Not only that, I dont even know where to begin. I know that games have got much easier over time, but DAMN. Ive been watching Lets Plays of it on youtube and people are blowing up random parts of walls to get extra hearts and other secrets. How would anyone even know where any of these are? there seems to be absolute 0 indication.

#4 Posted by Slag (3365 posts) -

@liako21: back in the day, you heard from others who played the game. And just about everyone I knew bought Nintendo Power game guides. E.g. If you didn't know the Lost Woods pattern you had basically no chance of guessing it.

or if you are like me you systematically bombed every wall on the map, set fire to every tree etc and mapped it. Keep in mind, I'd only have access to about one-two new games a year back then so I'd play the heck out of them.

Nowadays I don't have the patience for that, as I have games in a backlog.

#5 Posted by liako21 (519 posts) -

@Slag: haha yea i dont have that kind of time anymore. or the patience.

#6 Posted by FreakAche (2938 posts) -

@liako21: I kind of suspect that the first couple Zelda games were basically designed to sell Nintendo Power magazines.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.