Nintendo's Legendary Starfy Finally Travels Abroad

Posted by Brad (3259 posts) -
You really can't say Nintendo is a company with a dearth of cute, character-driven 2D platformers, but nevertheless, the company is adding one more such game to its roster--at least in the Western Hemisphere. The Legendary Starfy is a platforming series that's already had four popular installments on the Game Boy Advance in Japan, but the series has never made it out of its native land. Now Nintendo has finally elected to bring the series' fifth entry (and its first on the DS) to North America next month.

In a developer teleconference yesterday, reps from Nintendo and developer TOSE allowed that Starfy's long-in-coming Western release is essentially riding on the coattails of the DS' massive global success. Since the DS is a bona fide worldwide phenomenon, Nintendo decided it was time to bring Starfy to the same massive audience. The design team thus went into development of the DS version of Starfy with that global audience in mind.

Nintendo currently has no intention of bringing the first four GBA games out on these shores, via DSiWare or otherwise. But the company admitted that if the new game is a big enough success, that possibility could be revisited.

Is there room in your life (and your heart) for more Nintendo handheld platforming?

CORRECTION: This is actually the second DS iteration of the Starfy series. Thanks to those who pointed that out. I'll go bury my head in the sand now.

#1 Posted by Brad (3259 posts) -
You really can't say Nintendo is a company with a dearth of cute, character-driven 2D platformers, but nevertheless, the company is adding one more such game to its roster--at least in the Western Hemisphere. The Legendary Starfy is a platforming series that's already had four popular installments on the Game Boy Advance in Japan, but the series has never made it out of its native land. Now Nintendo has finally elected to bring the series' fifth entry (and its first on the DS) to North America next month.

In a developer teleconference yesterday, reps from Nintendo and developer TOSE allowed that Starfy's long-in-coming Western release is essentially riding on the coattails of the DS' massive global success. Since the DS is a bona fide worldwide phenomenon, Nintendo decided it was time to bring Starfy to the same massive audience. The design team thus went into development of the DS version of Starfy with that global audience in mind.

Nintendo currently has no intention of bringing the first four GBA games out on these shores, via DSiWare or otherwise. But the company admitted that if the new game is a big enough success, that possibility could be revisited.

Is there room in your life (and your heart) for more Nintendo handheld platforming?

CORRECTION: This is actually the second DS iteration of the Starfy series. Thanks to those who pointed that out. I'll go bury my head in the sand now.

#2 Posted by Meltbrain (2975 posts) -

Sweet! I wish I had a DS. =(

#3 Edited by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

Cool? idk it doesn't seem to be anything new but meh, I'll reserve my judgment.

#4 Posted by ANDYx0WNEDxU (91 posts) -

never ever seen that charicter before

#5 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6341 posts) -

It might be a little kiddish for my tastes, but a new platformer from Nintendo is definitely something to keep an eye on.

Moderator Online
#6 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Looks...cute I guess. Sort of a Kirby clone, which is a good thing.

#7 Edited by Reverseface (1221 posts) -

STARFY WILL FUCK YOU UP SON!!!!!!!!

#8 Posted by Chicken008 (387 posts) -

Actually it was 3 on GBA (not 4) and 1 on DS prior to this game.

#9 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
Chicken008 said:
Actually it was 3 on GBA (not 4) and 1 on DS prior to this game.
Leave it to GB to know their Nintendo facts xD

Game looks cool, yay for finally getting an article on it.
#10 Posted by DrRandle (1206 posts) -

I've been wanting this series to come over since I first found out about it a couple years ago. I absolutely cannot wait! I hope we see the first few games in some sort of DS collection, or some form or another soon! I always love me a good 2D platformer, and that Starfy is just adorable.

#11 Posted by RetroIce4 (4392 posts) -

*picks up game* *looks at it for a while*... *Puts it right back on the shelf*

#12 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

There's always room for classic platforming if it's feels fresh, Starfly abilities provide that I think, they look cool and fun .

I am so eager to play this game, sometimes it's nice to playing something straight forward and simple. I will be importing a copy from the US in June.

Gameplay

#13 Posted by Espiox (24 posts) -

Actually Brad, this is the second DS outing; Starfy 4 was a DS game.

#14 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11995 posts) -

This looks nauseatingly cute like the Kirby games.

#15 Posted by JediAutobot (201 posts) -

I wasn't too interested in this, but he's so adorable!  Color me interested at least.

#16 Posted by theMcNasty (740 posts) -

Oh, so that's who Starfy is.

#17 Posted by OneManFreakShow (100 posts) -

I imported Starfy/Stafy/Staffi/Staffy/Starfi 4, and it's absolutely fantastic. It's easy, yes, but games don't need to be insanely difficult to be good fun.

#18 Posted by JackiJinx (3091 posts) -

I'm very glad to see more games like this getting ported, but now I don't have a serious excuse to port this over. Can't win them all!

#19 Posted by smokeH (281 posts) -

haha, I played the originals they were pretty fun, a lot like kirby. The advantage of living in Japan although there are some disadvantages such as Japanese games and lack of 360 games so on.

#20 Posted by smokeH (281 posts) -

haha, I played the originals they were pretty fun, a lot like kirby. The advantage of living in Japan although there are some disadvantages such as Japanese games and lack of 360 games so on.

#21 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

looks too cute for my tastes

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.