Another Longest Journey Adventure in the Works

• 125 results
Posted by patrickklepek (4630 posts) -

If I compiled a list of games people have endlessly recommended playing but, nonetheless, remains within a stack of games in the garage for no good reason, The Longest Journey is pretty high up.

Maybe today’s news that former The Secret World creative director Ragnar Tørnquist has founded a new company, Red Thread Games, to begin work on the next chapter, will get me to play it.

(Probably not, but let’s play along. I don’t want to look for that box.)

The next installment is dubbed Dreamfall Chapters. Funcom, who owns the rights to the series, has given Red Thread Games the opportunity to move forward with the game. And while it will be independently funded (Funcom will remain focused on online games), Funcom will share in the game's profits.

Dreamfall Chapters is in pre-production, and more details are coming in the next few months.

The Longest Journey was released in 1999, and its sequel, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, wasn’t released until 2006. Funcom just likes to take its sweet, sweet time with giving adventure fans more from that universe.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4630 posts) -

If I compiled a list of games people have endlessly recommended playing but, nonetheless, remains within a stack of games in the garage for no good reason, The Longest Journey is pretty high up.

Maybe today’s news that former The Secret World creative director Ragnar Tørnquist has founded a new company, Red Thread Games, to begin work on the next chapter, will get me to play it.

(Probably not, but let’s play along. I don’t want to look for that box.)

The next installment is dubbed Dreamfall Chapters. Funcom, who owns the rights to the series, has given Red Thread Games the opportunity to move forward with the game. And while it will be independently funded (Funcom will remain focused on online games), Funcom will share in the game's profits.

Dreamfall Chapters is in pre-production, and more details are coming in the next few months.

The Longest Journey was released in 1999, and its sequel, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, wasn’t released until 2006. Funcom just likes to take its sweet, sweet time with giving adventure fans more from that universe.

Staff
#2 Edited by dabe (299 posts) -

I eagerly await this! Dreamfall was left on cliff-hanger so hopefully Ragnar lets us know what is going on in Stark.

#3 Posted by DiegoBitterman (30 posts) -

I also have a fondness for this particular brand of video game.

#4 Posted by Parad0xian (28 posts) -

Ooooooo

#5 Posted by Anderson (71 posts) -

Yes!

#6 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1497 posts) -

A happy day for Kevin VanOrd.

#7 Posted by Korolev (1709 posts) -

I have Dreamfall from a steam sale... still haven't finished it. Maybe it's time....

#8 Posted by funk_oddysey (52 posts) -

Best gaming news I've heard all year & I only played the Longest Journey and Dreamfall last year.

#9 Posted by Milkman (16811 posts) -

I may be the only person who cares about this news but I am stoked as hell.

#10 Posted by Robitt (350 posts) -

@Milkman said:

I may be the only person who cares about this news but I am stoked as hell.

Not at all! I guarantee there are many of us. So glad Ragnar gets to helm it too.

#11 Posted by kerse (2114 posts) -

I feel the same patrick, I was gonna play the longest journey but then I got way into Shibuya Power, shit is so gumbo.

#12 Posted by Sup (57 posts) -

YEEESSSS

#13 Edited by Bistromath (621 posts) -

I hope April Ryan's voice actress isn't too busy, it'd be a shame to have someone else voice her.

#14 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

Very cool. I haven't played Dreamfall yet. Despite its title I hope this is more akin to The Longest Journey. (It seems like point and click games are easier to produce on a budget.)

#15 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

YAY! Been waiting forever on this to come along

#16 Posted by comfy (9 posts) -

Dreams do come true

#17 Posted by corruptsaves (217 posts) -

:D

#18 Posted by dr_mantas (1889 posts) -

I have been waiting for this FOREVER, and finally it's gonna happen. Loved the first game, and even Dreamfall.

#19 Posted by ToastMan (94 posts) -

I think I remember hearing about Dreamfall Chapters years ago... Or am I making this up?

#20 Posted by fetterdave (56 posts) -

I absolutely LOVED Dreamfall and am super excited about this news.

#21 Posted by Cathryn (547 posts) -

This is one of the most exciting bits of gaming news for me in years. Let's hope it all works out well. Been waiting for this for a looooooong time.

#22 Posted by Morello (81 posts) -

Here's hoping it returns to the beautiful style of the first installment. I'm sure the storytelling will be as strong as ever no matter which direction it goes though.

#23 Posted by Spaceyoghurt (162 posts) -

Fantastic news! I really enjoyed Dreamfall.

#24 Posted by Melos (239 posts) -

I'm sorry to be cynical, but I've been hearing about this mythical "Dreamfall Chapters" for the better part of a decade now. If that new company finally gives the project momentum, that's fantastic. I love The Longest Journey series. I'm just saying, I've been holding my breath for a while now only to get a bunch of Conan MMO that I don't think anyone cares about.

#25 Posted by buemba (96 posts) -

Look for a PC game box? What's this, the 30's? The Longest Jourvey and Dreamfall can both be bought for a song on GoG or Steam, and I bet they'll be even cheaper during the inevitable black Friday and Christmas sales.

Both games are highly recommended, by the way.

#26 Posted by Skyfire543 (692 posts) -

Holy fucking shit. This is the best thing I've heard all year.

#27 Posted by CornBREDX (5315 posts) -

A really great game.  
Dreamfall not so much but the story was still pretty good- despite that cliff hanger of an ending.  
I hope they get rid of the combat this time around, though- it brought the game down.

#28 Edited by Nick (667 posts) -

So happy to hear this! Now Beyond Good and Evil 2 just needs to be announced!

#29 Posted by falling_fast (2225 posts) -

oh fuck yes. *high pitched scream*

#30 Posted by Legend (2659 posts) -

I can't believe this game is finally getting made.

#31 Posted by Helios1337 (325 posts) -

FUCK YEAH!

#32 Posted by mbr2 (566 posts) -

Ragnar Tørnquist is a smart person but Dreamfall was not needed and didn't justify it's existence.

#33 Edited by cloudymusic (1121 posts) -

oh

my

god

Edit: Though it should go without saying, more TLJ and less Dreamfall, please.

#34 Posted by dagas (2837 posts) -

Awesome! Love those games.

#35 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

Both of the previous games will be getting bundled in an HD pack then yes? YES!?

#36 Posted by CJduke (789 posts) -

Own them both on steam, have tried playing the first one twice and just end up stopping. They seem pretty great though

#37 Posted by Efesell (583 posts) -

Holy Shit.

#38 Posted by wewantsthering (1568 posts) -

YES!

#39 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4605 posts) -

Only ever played Dreamfall, and it was... not that great, to be honest. I liked what they were trying to do, but they didn't really pull it off. I could totally see an updated take on it working, though.

#40 Posted by Silver-Streak (1363 posts) -

SO HAPPY

#41 Posted by Stubee (379 posts) -

Really enjoyed Dreamfall and never expected to see a resolution to its cliff hanger ending.

#42 Posted by SolongWrex (150 posts) -

@Nick said:

Exactly. Doesn't look like it's going to happen, but seriously, with these two games, my life would be complete.

#43 Posted by emem (1968 posts) -

!!!!!!!

#44 Posted by Abendlaender (2808 posts) -

@Nick said:

Well....it IS announced. There's even a trailer. It just needs to come out *sigh* someday Jade....someday we will be reunited

#45 Posted by Nictel (2412 posts) -

@Melos said:

I'm sorry to be cynical, but I've been hearing about this mythical "Dreamfall Chapters" for the better part of a decade now. If that new company finally gives the project momentum, that's fantastic. I love The Longest Journey series. I'm just saying, I've been holding my breath for a while now only to get a bunch of Conan MMO that I don't think anyone cares about.

I think that was mainly Funcom thinking the MMO business was still the place to be. Ragnar Tørnquist has guaranteed on twitter it won't be online. But keeping hopes to a minimum can only be advantageous at this point.

#46 Posted by Citizengamer (183 posts) -

Even if Funcom is basically passing the football to Tornquist's new startup, at least they're doing something that makes me think the next "Longest Journey" installment will actually exist. I had basically written it off after all the focus on "The Secret World."

#47 Posted by Oni (2099 posts) -

TLJ was great, Dreamfall not so much. Wouldn't be surprised if they go episodic with this. To be honest I remember next to nothing about TLJ's story though.

#48 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Is it bad that i never heard about this game?

#49 Posted by ArcHTecHGuY79 (22 posts) -

will this be only pc or you think they will do a ps3/360 version

#50 Posted by RVonE (4638 posts) -

I liked The Longest Journey and loved Dreamfall (controversial, I know). Yay for more of this universe.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.