Another Longest Journey Adventure in the Works

#51 Posted by Efesell (857 posts) -

@RVonE said:

I liked The Longest Journey and loved Dreamfall (controversial, I know). Yay for more of this universe.

Dreamfall had a few issues as an actual video game but the story was still top-notch and that's really what I'm looking for in any continuations.

#52 Posted by Robaota (157 posts) -

Oh fuck yes.

#53 Posted by ZombiePie (6171 posts) -

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall were and are fantastic games. This has been a long time coming and I can't wait!

#54 Posted by Schmollian (302 posts) -

Oh sweetbabyjesus! 0_0

Definitely want!

#55 Posted by Phalex (20 posts) -

Goddamn, fucking gimme already :( I adore this series.

#56 Posted by ribeye (479 posts) -

@Efesell said:

Holy Shit.

agree and well-spoken, been tracking this game forever

#57 Posted by project343 (2875 posts) -

@BenderUnit22 said:

A happy day for Kevin VanOrd.

He is probably having a field day. I've never seen a man with such a hardon for Funcom. It's really impressive.

#58 Posted by ThePhilatron (285 posts) -

The Longest Journey is one of my favorite games. It blended great storytelling with interactive gameplay in a way that has since been attempted many times, but never surpassed.

#59 Posted by Dtat (1705 posts) -

I literally just made a topic about this a day ago O_o

#60 Posted by Chemin (656 posts) -

OH SNAP! That's fantastic!

#61 Posted by Dagbiker (7022 posts) -

By the sounds of it, it sounds like its going to be a Episodic game.

#62 Posted by Keen_12 (146 posts) -

Did not see this one coming. Great news

#63 Posted by coaxmetal (1715 posts) -

Yesssssssss, been waiting for this forever. Tournquist did promise to finish the story at some point, even if he has to just release story notes, but a game is what everyone really wants.

#64 Posted by FoxMulder (1762 posts) -

Could not be more excited! TLJ and Dreamfall are two of my favorite games of all time. I've been waiting ever since the day I beat Dreamfall on my original Xbox! It's definately felt longer than the 6 years it's been!

#65 Posted by Arx724 (235 posts) -

Fuck yeah, less MMO's, more TLJ! I've been looking forward to this for a long time, though the high chance for an episodic format annoys me a bit.

I'll probably replay the first two games when we get close to the release of this one, I really can't recall everything about it despite having played TLJ several times already.

#66 Posted by Getz (3344 posts) -

Fucking finally!

#67 Posted by Rapid (1449 posts) -

So excited! love the unique story and abstract themes in the games

#68 Posted by SpaceButler (48 posts) -

Dreamfall was a pretty good game, other than they forgot to add the last third of the story.

#69 Posted by MeatSim (10989 posts) -

Hell, It's about time.

#70 Posted by captainanderson (263 posts) -

I played a bit of The Longest Journey after I bought it during the Steam Summer Sale. I didn't care for the setting at the beginning (future hipsters in future Williamsburg), but I did start to enjoy it once April discovered her "power".

#71 Posted by supamon (1339 posts) -

Finally some news that isn't just them saying "yes it's still coming". This at least sounds like some efforts are being made. I want to know what happened to April and that cliffhanger ending, HNNNNGGGGG!

#72 Posted by RanmaRanma (71 posts) -

TLJ remains one of the best adventure games every created. Dreamfall has its shortcomings, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. I'm stoked by this announcement, but with so much time between the last iteration, it could prove drastically different from expectations.

#73 Posted by darkjester74 (1603 posts) -

By the balance, what amazing news! :-D

#74 Posted by Raven10 (2050 posts) -

@ToastMan: I believe it was officially announced in 2006 or so as an episodic adventure game. People have been patiently waiting ever since.

#75 Posted by sthusby (450 posts) -

Patrick, play The Longest Journet, or you no longer get to have an opinion about games.

#76 Posted by sthusby (450 posts) -

@ToastMan: No, you are correct. Been talk about this for years, but Funcom has been to busy with Age of Conan and The Secret World. Man, I wish just one of their MMO's had been a critical and commercial success. Age of Conan deserves a bigger mention in the history books than it will ever get. A great game. Easy as that.

#77 Posted by TDot (385 posts) -

Hopefully it's better than Dreamfall. Man that still leaves a bad taste in my mouth,

#78 Posted by D_W (1369 posts) -

FINALLY!

#79 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2353 posts) -

Yay! It's been too long since the last game and the cliffhanger ending we were left with. I remember Chapters being announced a few years ago but was most likely put on hold for Secret World so it's good they haven't forgotten about the game. It's a bit puzzling though that Funcom still prefers to produce MMO games, I wasn't aware Secret World was profitable for them.

#80 Edited by Spark (60 posts) -

@ArcHTecHGuY79 said:

will this be only pc or you think they will do a ps3/360 version

It's PC/Mac only according to his Twitter.

@Dagbiker said:

By the sounds of it, it sounds like its going to be a Episodic game.

It's not episodic, it's an entire adventure game.

#81 Edited by MachoFantastico (5451 posts) -

This makes me a very happy bunny!

Enjoyed The Longest Journey a great deal, and Dreamfall. This and a new Broken Sword on the way is exciting.

#82 Posted by ArcadiaExeter (96 posts) -

i bought these games on steam and really really want to play them. too bad it will not run correctly.

#83 Edited by Xymox (2145 posts) -

TLJ was okay, but I really loved Dreamfall... that's how I got into the series.

So Funcom is doing the online stuff... Would still be excited to see a Dreamfall MMO. I liked the idea of having access to both the "near futuristic" MMO in addition to the medieval one in the same game, with your own room to deck out. And since one of them could be set in dreams, you could do practically whatever with that one which would be interesting.

#84 Posted by kalmis (1744 posts) -

@ArcadiaExeter: You can always get them from GOG..

#85 Edited by Levio (1798 posts) -

I played TLJ somewhat recently. It felt really dated. Though I did think it offered quite a rare experience to play as a female character and have to converse with a few really misogynistic characters, picking your words carefully so as to escape situations unharmed. Most devs wouldn't dare put the majority male demographic into such awkward situations.

#86 Posted by Zaxex (613 posts) -

I love when stuff like this happens.

#87 Posted by Parsnip (1119 posts) -

Hell, it's about fucking time.

#88 Posted by Parsnip (1119 posts) -

More details probably means a kickstarter in a few months.
I'll pledge so hard.

#89 Posted by guilherme (350 posts) -

I love longest journey!!! But dreamfall had the worst cliffhanger ending ever...

#90 Posted by LassieME (244 posts) -

YES!

#91 Posted by greenwiz (12 posts) -

Dare I say finally :)

#92 Posted by HulkHanson (74 posts) -

Without a hint of hyperbole, The Longest Journey is one of my favourite games of all time, it was simply magical. Dreamfall, while still enjoyable, could have been so much better without the terrible combat sections...and that cliffhanger. So, Hell. Fucking. Yeah. Great news!

#93 Posted by haggis (1674 posts) -

This is cool. Now, I liked the first game a lot more than Dreamfall, but there are just so few of these kinds of games that I can't help but be excited for it.

#94 Posted by FakeKisser (363 posts) -

These games are amazing. I can't wait to play them again in preparation for the new game!!

#95 Posted by theguy (815 posts) -

I have no idea why I'm so excited for this. I have played none of the other games. They always looked good to me though.

#96 Posted by Archerion (4 posts) -

Next Random PC Game, The longest journey.

#97 Posted by Uberjannie (333 posts) -

What? They aren't going to spent tens of millions of dollars to make another 'WoW killer'?

#98 Posted by kdrudy (27 posts) -

The Longest Journey is a game I always meant to finish, I don't know why I never did.

#99 Edited by Nardak (722 posts) -

Hopefully this will be more along the lines of the first game. Wasnt that impressed with the plot of the second game.

Though at this point I dont remember much about the plot.

But it seems that in a world where there will be a new star wars film in 2015 anything can and will happen.

Half life 3...please?

#100 Posted by Skanker (255 posts) -

Finally! I never really gave hope for a sequel since the creator was always pretty into the idea, but it's nice to get news on the matter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.