Will this ever happen?

#1 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

Adventure games have seen a revival in the last few years, and that's awesome! But there is one adventure game franchise that has yet to reemerge from the horrible purgatory of vaporware: The Longest Journey. Say what you will about Dreamfall (and I do), The Longest Journey is one of the most highly regarded and loved adventure games of all time. I remember hearing hints about a 3rd game a while back. Instead Funcom went off and made the Secret World.

My question is: do you guys think this will ever happen? Is Funcom finished with this franchise? Even if they are, there has emerged a new route for beloved games to be revived: Kickstarter. Think that one will ever happen?

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I dunno, I enjoyed Dreamfall more than TLJ.

But yeah, somebody needs to Kickstart that shiz.

#3 Posted by Cathryn (545 posts) -

I don't know about Funcom, but Ragnar Tornquist (the series lead designer) has been talking about an episodic format sequel to Dreamfall for some time. I'm not exactly sure when he last discussed it, but he tends to be fairly adamant about the fact that the project is actively in development every time it comes up. I found his formspring page, where his last post was some time last year, but as recently as then, he was pretty insistent that Chapters was going to happen. I'm not sure how well that'll hold up after the Secret World, though, which I don't think has been particularly successful. It's a shame, because that series intentially left things open for sequels and the story is fantastic. I think Kickstarter could definitely be a good move for a franchise like this, but who knows if Funcom would actually go for it.

#4 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

I'd love to know the rest of the story. Dreamfall left off on a major cliffhanger. But considering that sequel didn't sell very well, plus what shape The Secret World is in, I fear it may never happen.

It'll be Crow's fault if the sequel never happens.

#5 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

@Cathryn: I'd be happy to see him strike out on his own with it. Full on old-school adventure game sequel. Make it in the style of the original, and the overheads shouldbe low enough to make Kickstarter viable.

#7 Edited by Ghostiet (5223 posts) -

Tornquist's grasp on episodic gaming is even weaker than Valve's, considering how there were talks about Dreamfall Chapters in 2007 and that they apparently got funding back then. That announcement doesn't get me excited in the slightest, considering how much shit was left hanging in Dreamfall, which was in itself a somewhat disappointing game.

#9 Posted by Legend (2649 posts) -

@Dtat: You posted this thread only a day ago, and now the sequel is officially announced to be in the works. Amazing coincidence, huh? ;)

#10 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

@Legend: I AM A PSYCHIC!!!

#11 Edited by Sesquipedaliant (63 posts) -

@dtat: Just four days left in the Kickstarter! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/417562

#12 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

So glad this is happening. I only wish they could reach the stretch goal of 2 mill. Because honestly I am way more interested in another April Ryan game than a Zoe game. I'll still be happy though, and hopefully we'll see TLJH in the future anyway :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.