Got a chance to play a demo of this at PAX East

#1 Edited by Kyle (2325 posts) -

I hadn't even heard of this game, but I saw it on the show floor at PAX East and had to play it. Graphics look good, combat seems fun, online multiplayer... and loot! Seems pretty awesome to me. Also, it's apparently the first LotR game with an M rating which allows for a bit of blood and gore. Couldn't hurt, I suppose.  

Unless I hear some significantly negative things near its release date, I'm pretty much sold. 

I know it's being developed by Snowblind, but I haven't played any of their other games so I can't really say how it compares to Dark Alliance or Champions. 

edit: btw, the guy running the demo said the release date was Q4 2011.

#2 Posted by 014 (348 posts) -

Thanks for the comments. I liked Dark Alliance. I didn't know about this game until I browsed gamewallpapers.com today. It's on my watch list now.

#3 Posted by Captain_Insano (1563 posts) -

Just saw the trailer on the site, can this be played single player or is it MMO style? (the 'multiplayer game' bit threw me off). I'm presuming it is probably more Borderlands-esque, where you can play it single player but it is better multi-player

#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

think im passing on this one

#5 Posted by Kyle (2325 posts) -
@Captain_Insano: I think it's level-based. The demo I tried was pretty linear. And there is offline play.

But I gotta say, the trailers they've been putting out since I first saw the game have been pretty bad : /
#6 Posted by Captain_Insano (1563 posts) -
@Kyle: yea it looks fairly mediocre. I would be happy though with a competent, if mediocre Lotr game. Seems like a good game to read reviews for, play demo (if there is one) or rent briefly before buying
#7 Posted by 014 (348 posts) -

As long as it's not poor, I would like to get this game. It has been a long time since the Return of the King hack 'n' slash.

#8 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

Sadly, I think this is going to be a great game that no one ever buys. Which is a shame, since LOTR deserves a good dam game given how much of an influence it has had on the industry.

#9 Posted by LUMIN4RY (71 posts) -

I'll be watching this, thanks for the opinions and comments. I think it looks great.

#10 Posted by excido (198 posts) -

Man I feel like I'm the only one that's excited about this game, no one ever talks about it but when it's mentioned nothing bad about it is ever said. I'm going to pick this up on day 1 probably.

#11 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -
@excido
I am very excited for it, but I want to see some pure gameplay videos (not vignettes or dev run throughs) or play a demo.
It looks very fun but...yeah...I need confirmation!
#12 Posted by excido (198 posts) -

Yea I saw some class/gameplay trailers on rockpaper shotgun the other day; you can check them out at http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/21/do-you-remember-lotr-war-in-the-north/. Game looks great to me and I don't think it's getting enough exposure, they need a better marketing team. I'm tentatively going to buy it on OnLive for only 35 bucks since I leave my OnLive in my office with my gaming PC. I try not to play very violent games around my daughter in the living room(where my ps3 is). I'll might buy it on PC though...haven't decided yet. either way it looks like a great game that's not getting enough exposure. I hope they mention it on the bombcast more when it is out.

#13 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -
@excido: Those I meant.
Seen those and while they look good (enough) for a hack n slasher, I'd like to see a quick look type of deal.
Pure gameplay, some menu's, no dev telling me its awesome.

This probably won't be an insane sleeper hit, but its looking like good fun in a genre we need more co op in!
#14 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

I'm really curious about this one, not too optimistic after The Cursed Crusade being really bad though.

#15 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (435 posts) -

I am truly cautiously optimistic

#16 Posted by Teleri (123 posts) -

Looks like it picked a bad month for release, what with all the neat games commin' out soon.

#17 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@kerse: I really like that game actually :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.